CAGcast #49: The $6,000 Man

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Join CheapyD and Wombat for fun and discussion on all kinds of stuff, including; microtransactions on Xbox Live Marketplace, the closing of Lik-Sang, new releases and industry news, your questions from the CAGbag, and oh so much more!

Once AGAIN, I forgot to draw a contest winner and mention how to enter this week's contest. Just post a comment and you will be entered. We will do a super drawing during the 50th episode.

Download - 87 minutes, 40MB
(If you haven't yet done so, PLEASE review us by clicking here!)
RSS feed - Add to Google - Add to My Yahoo
Past CAGcasts

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast49a.mp3[/media]

Show Linkage:
Intro music: Kangaroo

CAGcast Contest - Prizes: Namco, Nintendo, Phoenix Wright

CAGcast Voicemail! - Leave us a 50th Episode Message
CAGcast Survey
CAGcast Poll: What system will you be buying or playing this holday?

New Releases

Lik-Sang Closes - Sony Response - CAG Thread
Toys R Us pre-orders begin 10/29
TRU B2G1-10/22/06
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (360-Asia, Region Free Confirmed) $43 shipped at Play-Asia
Phoenix Wright II $29.90 @ Play-Asia (Full English Support) Now Shipping!

Microsoft Pulls a 360 on GameDad - Gamerscore Blog
Do Games Industry Professionals Buy Their Games New or Used?
Godfather Consumables
Analyst Says Xbox 360 Could Do Better
360 Dashboard update in a week?
Sony claims Xbox 360 requires HD DVD, etc., thus costs $700

Outro: Kangaroo Dealer Video
- From www.atarigames.com

Bonus Picture and Video!
djsign.jpg

This video kind of sucks because you can't hear the sound too well, but on the upside, you can watch me drink beer.
Narrated by Mrs. CheapyD
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW4ySiK_asg[/media]​

just got done, I really enjoyed the show. I liked the coverage of recent Sony affairs, Sony is pulling out all the stops this holiday season and its really hard to beleive. Microsoft should be able to sue Sony for that stats sheet they released and I feel sorry for Lik-sang, but Playasia does have better deals as cheapy said, but its still sad to see a store go out of business due to the powerhouse that is Sony.

but in reguards to the show specifically I thought it was great.

Regarding Sony not having servers for their online network:

On the latest 1up Yours Podcast, they had Ted Price, CEO of Insomniac Studios, talking about Resistance for the PS3. They were questioning him on how Resistance could support 40 players using P2P since the Xbox and Xbox 360 games typically have problems with games with a lot of players. Ted stated that Resistance online was running on Sony's dedicated servers, and not using P2P.

So for some studios, Sony is providing dedicated hardware to run multiplayer games. I don't know what criteria a company must meet to get Sony provided hardware, but Insomniac has worked with Sony for over 10 years and Resistance is their huge launch game. That probably played a factor in it.

Ted also said that Sony is leaving everything else up to the developers. There is no cohesive friend messaging system, online chat, etc., for all games. Each developer can do whatever they want. So besides having a "universal" friend list which is tied to each user's PS3 hardware, Sony's online strategy sounds pretty much like the PS2 offering.

I guess that's what you get for free. I'm sure Nintendo's system won't be any more robust than Sony's.

87 minutes?!?! 87 minutes?!?!

Maybe I'm living in the dark ages, but I don't have an mp3 player. I burn the podcasts to a CD-R and listen to them while I'm driving. UNTIL NOW. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it running longer, but how about an option to download it in 2 sections?? Both under 80 minutes. I guess I'll just have to hold my laptop up to my ear as I'm driving down the road. If I crash and die it's on your head Cheapy and Wombat!!!!

Keep up the good work!

Tagged for contest!

Lol @ the dj cheapy video. Poor Mrs. Cheapy has to be camerawoman and waitress--get the man a damn beer will ya? :)

Cheapy D with 2 turntables and a microphone ? .

Bummer about the sound , but we get a sneak peak of listening to Mrs. Cheapy .
You should remix the video , ya know , add in a little "Ass & Tetris"
That would be sweet .

Hmmm, why is this not showing up on iTunes? Do I actually to do something draconian and download it myself to transfer to my iPod? The horrors!!!

Eh, it's worth it. Be listening in a bit...

You can always get an MP3 editing tool and make it two separate files.

And I highly recommend an MP3-enabled car stereo. I can burn the MP3s as data files and have a sweet 800 megs of audio on a disk.

Best investment I ever made, and that was back when decks were $300, I've seen good ones now for less than $150.

Just a few suggestions.

[quote name='Brainwave0']87 minutes?!?! 87 minutes?!?!

Maybe I'm living in the dark ages, but I don't have an mp3 player. I burn the podcasts to a CD-R and listen to them while I'm driving. UNTIL NOW. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it running longer, but how about an option to download it in 2 sections?? Both under 80 minutes. I guess I'll just have to hold my laptop up to my ear as I'm driving down the road. If I crash and die it's on your head Cheapy and Wombat!!!!

Keep up the good work![/QUOTE]

Wombat proved he is a complete nerd with his rambling about comic book heroes' power sources.... J/K, no need to get offended. Love the CAGcast. Listen every week. Keeps me updated and easy to listen to. Thanks you two!

[quote name='Bretts31344']Wombat proved he is a complete nerd with his rambling about comic book heroes' power sources.... J/K, no need to get offended. Love the CAGcast. Listen every week. Keeps me updated and easy to listen to. Thanks you two![/QUOTE]

The fact that it took 49 epsiodes for that to come out is a victory in my book.

I really enjoyed this showed, Cheapy had me laughing out loud twice for real. One thing though, I've listened to every single CAGcast so far, and there's been something that has had me concerned for a while, but this episode was the tip of the iceberg. Cheapy, just exactly how much time do you spend in the bathroom a day?!?!? Well, maybe I don't really want an answer to that, but when you mentioned that not only do you have a DS, and some games awaiting you on your "throne," but a god damn palm-pilot so you can grab codes and walkthroughs too, I was officailly disturbed.

I mean, when I have to "handle business" I get in, and I get out. The whole procedure takes eight minutes tops. So I'd say about four minutes of that is actual free-hand time, the rest being wiping, and washing my hands. No where near enough time to get my game on. Which leads me to believe that you may need to invest in some fiber supplements, or perhaps you're eating to much rice living in Japan? I just don't understand how much time a man can spend in the bathroom. It's just not normal!

Also, of course Wombat is a nerd for all the comic stuff, but come on. Most of us are adults gamers who frequent a website where we search for video games at a discount price, not exactly the Brad Pitts of the world.

[quote name='Brainwave0']87 minutes?!?! 87 minutes?!?!

Keep up the good work![/QUOTE]

Time to step out of the dark ages bud.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I really enjoyed this showed, Cheapy had me laughing out loud twice for real. One thing though, I've listened to every single CAGcast so far, and there's been something that has had me concerned for a while, but this episode was the tip of the iceberg. Cheapy, just exactly how much time do you spend in the bathroom a day?!?!?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you've never seen just how much shit can come out of a 6'+ grown ass man. We have much larger bowels and therfore have to put in work on the pot.

As for the show, great job fellas. I really like the longer format. Cheapy was able to voice a few more thoughts without having Wombat interrupt him this time around but I still feel there is room for improvement there. One of the main reasons I listen to the show is to hear BOTH of your perspectives on the happenings of the game industry. Operative word, in case it wasn't obvious, is BOTH. :)

Anyhow, keep up the good work guys. Thanks for efforts.

Good show. A little too much 360 talk and some things seemed to take forever but good none-the-less. Also on my question, you said "No tax and free shipping make this deal even better. Offer is good for October only." on the front page on Oct. 17th for the 360 and a game deal.

As for number 50, have both wives, one live with ya and the other on a taped Q&A or have Wombat marry Zelda since that dog seems always be around.

The CAGCast just keeps getting better. Cheapy, you've inspired me and I now play my handhelds in the bathroom. Ms Rama scolded me for leaving my Neo Geo Pocket Color AC Adaptor in there yesterday. I wonder if she would be up for bathroom to office wifi DS play?

[quote name='daphatty']I'm guessing you've never seen just how much shit can come out of a 6'+ grown ass man. We have much larger bowels and therfore have to put in work on the pot.[/quote]

You know what? I am proud to say that I have never seen how much shit can come out of a 6'+ man. I wonder how many people CAN say that?

Actually...no, I don't.

Good show again guys, I agreed with most of the commentary and felt that CheapyD and Wombat were less in each other's face this show and allowed for some more meaningful dialogue between the two.

On the matter of CAGcast #50 I vote no on a celebration show if that means no Mrs CheapyD and no Mrs Wombat. You could have planned ahead to include both Mrs for #50 but that's water under the bridge now so I say save it for #51 and make #50 just like every other CAGcast.

Good show guys. I don't remember laughing as much in the old episodes.

I was listening on my mp3 player and having lunch at Wendy's. I'm sitting there in a crowded room trying hard not to laugh out loud and get weird stares.

Is this like the 4th week in a row youve forgotten to do the contest stuff? I dont know how you guys are going to remember next week. o well. I am really glad you guys mentioned the bs that is Lumines Live. You really laid out the whole issue. I think you guys should definitely try to get Major Nelson on the podcast. I think he is open to that kind of stuff. or maybe you could get the gamerscore blog guys. anyway good show. Bring on the 50th!

[quote name='anomynous']Thanks for answering my question Cheapy, and I do have a HDTV. And I will say Capcom was lazy[/quote]

On that topic--I didn't have $800 to throw down on a decent 32" HDTV, so I just got the $30 VGA cable for my 360 and use my 19" LCD monitor. It looks good! I have no problem making out the text in Dead Rising.

I really do have to agree, though--why use a $150 TV to play on your $400 console? It's like having a kickass gaming computer and a 15" crt monitor running 640x480.

Thanks for mentioning that your wife plays 360 with you Cheapie! My wife heard, and so she's trying out a few puzzle games (like Bejeweled). Anything you can do to help a cheap-ass gamer with marital harmony is greatly appreciated!

Excellent, Excellent, Excellent.

Well done gents.

In addition Cheapy, I agree with Wombat if you wanted to make a sticky with referal links in it with a blatant, if not somewhat joking title, people wouldn't have much of a problem with it. If you're worried with it being invasive, you may only want to pin it up for a few weeks to a month in the deals forum and then after that move it to the shopping discussion board. I would encourage you to preface the list of links with a short explanation of how using the links work and how using them helps the site, but other than that worry not about it being a big deal.

Might I suggest the title: "Help Pay For CheapyD's BIG ASS CHAINS"

I'm trying to dl it right now but its at a crawl. Anyone else having this problem? I thought the cagcast was moved to a faster server?

Another great episode. I'm glad to hear that I can support CAG by using the links to make purchases. I will definetly use links when making purchases. Thanks for a great show guys. Good luck with number 50 and beyond.

[quote name='Sn0brawler']Might I suggest the title: "Help Pay For CheapyD's BIG ASS CHAINS"[/QUOTE]

I second this suggested title. I understand Cheapy's reluctance to "blatantly" ask for referals but putting a humorous twist on your request would go alot further.

[quote name='Sn0brawler']Excellent, Excellent, Excellent.

Well done gents.

In addition Cheapy, I agree with Wombat if you wanted to make a sticky with referal links in it with a blatant, if not somewhat joking title, people wouldn't have much of a problem with it. If you're worried with it being invasive, you may only want to pin it up for a few weeks to a month in the deals forum and then after that move it to the shopping discussion board. I would encourage you to preface the list of links with a short explanation of how using the links work and how using them helps the site, but other than that worry not about it being a big deal.

Might I suggest the title: "Help Pay For CheapyD's BIG ASS CHAINS"[/quote]

How about something simple like the new small text banner below the forum header?

[quote name='CheapyD']How about something simple like the new small text banner below the forum header?[/QUOTE]
Excellent, although you'd kind of have to know its there to see it. I also feel like the question that got answered on the CAGcast (that you can follow the link to the main site and then go buy kitchen items and still give CAG referral credit) is the kind of thing that it wouldn't be difficult to be unsure about. Perhaps you'll want to link that text to a page explaining FAQ's about the referral system. (And I'm sure you have a better idea than me what those questions are)

Great show--real good energy level despite the long length.

I almost LOL'd during the part where Wombat shows off his comic book knowledge, and I was listening while grocery shopping so it would have been kind of awkward.

[quote name='Sn0brawler']Excellent, although you'd kind of have to know its there to see it. I also feel like the question that got answered on the CAGcast (that you can follow the link to the main site and then go buy kitchen items and still give CAG referral credit) is the kind of thing that it wouldn't be difficult to be unsure about. Perhaps you'll want to link that text to a page explaining FAQ's about the referral system. (And I'm sure you have a better idea than me what those questions are)[/quote]Great idea...done.

Man I loved Kangaroo. It wasn't very deep or graphically impressive, but it was simple and fun, two things that are missing from most games these days.

kangaroo2.png

[quote name='radjago']Man I loved Kangaroo. It wasn't very deep or graphically impressive, but it was simple and fun, two things that are missing from most games these days.[/quote]
Not sure if you noticed it in the OP...

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXxDo17SwSI[/MEDIA]

Re: Bully

you have until 2AM to get sleep otherwise you're knocked out, but essentially there's nothing to do during those early hours anyways

by the way wombat, did you get the regular or LE version

Re: Lik Sang

thing is...is this really that bad a PR move? ultimately this doesn't affect casual gamers in any way. So they piss off the "small" hardcore contingent...it doesn't affect casual gamer's opinions of them.

Re: play-asia address book
I was wondering when that was added, and now I know how that ball got rolling. So thanks CheapyD.

[quote name='youruglyclone']
Re: Lik Sang

thing is...is this really that bad a PR move? ultimately this doesn't affect casual gamers in any way. So they piss off the "small" hardcore contingent...it doesn't affect casual gamer's opinions of them.
[/quote]What was brought up in the on-going discussion is this:

Casual gamers - lots of them, don't spend much money (maybe a few games a year)
Hardcore gamers - not many of them, but they buy a lot of games; more likely to be early adopters of a $600 system

[quote name='CheapyD']Not sure if you noticed it in the OP...[/QUOTE]

Jesus...Final Fastasy Tactics requires less explanation than that video provides. That's a significant chunk of gray matter that I could be using to store more valuable information. Nice also that they found the most homely folks in Wisconsin to star in it.

"And ugly people like it, too!!!"

Anyway, great show. I enjoyed the review of this week's controversies, especially since Nintendo seemed to avoid creating any of their own for once. It was like one long Wombat Burrow segment.

Looking forward to the 50th (or 51st) show. Really hope the ladies are on there, and Zelda the Comic Wonder Dog too.

Best line: "All we need are business cards and credibility!"

bread's done
Back