Can you still use Original Xbox Live cards for Xbox 360?

Zoglog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I passed by a few borders and they all had the old Xbox live kits for around $17 for 1 year. I know before people could use original xbox live kits for xbox360 live, but i'm not sure about it anymore. All I know is the live cards seem to have about a 2 year expiration date. Anyone know?

I think you can. My friend used a 3-month card (bought from TRU) that expired 2 years ago and it still worked perfectly. So you can try it, but I'm pretty sure it could work.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I heard somewhere that this will only work if you originally made your account on the old Xbox, or something like that.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I never had an Xbox, bought an Xbox 360, and used an old Xbox Live card for a year's service; it works just fine.

Wicked. I'll try my 2-month trial thing that expired two years ago. I wonder if it will add on to the end of my subscription or do something weird.

Just throwing in my two cents...

I had an old 3-month card from an Xbox Live kit and it worked fine on the 360. Also, this account did not exist on an original Xbox.

After that work, I attempted to use one of the old 2-month trial codes (from Doom 3); but that didn't work.

So I'll be on the lookout for cheap Xbox Live kits now!

I have an old xbox live card would it work by just typing it in or do I need to call xbox live if I can use it or they get me a new code?

[quote name='FrankTheFrowner']Just throwing in my two cents...

I had an old 3-month card from an Xbox Live kit and it worked fine on the 360. Also, this account did not exist on an original Xbox.

After that work, I attempted to use one of the old 2-month trial codes (from Doom 3); but that didn't work.

So I'll be on the lookout for cheap Xbox Live kits now![/QUOTE]
exact same situation for me. and fucking same game i tried the trial code from (got it from CC $9).

creepy?

[quote name='ryosnk']I have an old xbox live card would it work by just typing it in or do I need to call xbox live if I can use it or they get me a new code?[/QUOTE]

Just type in the code. Once entered it will recognize the code and add whichever amount of time the card is good for to your account. This is the reason I have 2 years of Xbox Live on my 360 because I found a couple of cheap 12-Month Original Xbox kits at Gamerush.

[quote name='cyrix`']exact same situation for me. and fucking same game i tried the trial code from (got it from CC $9).

creepy?[/quote]

THere is an easy answer. The trial code if entered into an xbox1 requires a credit card so that if you don't cancel before the 2 months were over they would automatically charge you. I read the fin e print on it.

[quote name='cyrix`']exact same situation for me. and fucking same game i tried the trial code from (got it from CC $9).

creepy?[/quote]

LOL. I guess everyone has a cheap copy of Doom 3 laying around.

I know this is a severe necropost, but does anybody know if the original Xbox live codes can still be used on the 360, or did they fix it? I had some left-over cards w/o expiration dates and my live account is still gold for about 9 months.

Just tried this with a 2 month trial code that expired in 2005, and they wouldn't allow it because of the expiration date. Sucks.

Whoa, old thread here.

Last year (maybe June) I got an original 12 month Xbox Live card to work. I don't recall the expiration date but it worked perfectly without having to call MS. I just redeemed it through the console.

Really? The ones with the expiration date don't work. If anyone has any old Xbox Original cards, would you send me one so I can try it? I've tried 3 of them and they don't work for me.

Just bumpin, picked up an old original xbox live 12 month code ( dated 2004) off ebay, worked like a charm. However it was scratch off and difficult to read, but anyway.

[quote name='storino03']Really? The ones with the expiration date don't work. If anyone has any old Xbox Original cards, would you send me one so I can try it? I've tried 3 of them and they don't work for me.[/QUOTE]

The issue is that these codes will work with original xbox live accounts that were migrated over to the xbox 360. A new customer to MS products buying an xbox 360 wont be able to use this with their xbox live account. That's pretty much the only catch to these codes, and why some xbox 360 users can use them, and others cant. The only other catch would probably be region of where the code came from. Like me for example I just recieved a japanese original xbox game. Guilty Gear Isuka to be exact. This had a 2 month card in it, but I dont use xbox live so I have no idea if this would work, but someone with an xbox 360 with a migrated original xbox live subscription may be able to have this successfully redeem for them.

For a clue to why I'm saying the above.....Take a look at all the CAGs in this thread, and take note of their join dates. The older ones who had codes work joined this site while the original xbox was still out, and they most likely had accounts on it that they migrated to their 360's when that console released. The newer users most likely were adopters of the 360 only, and never had a original xbox subscription to migrate to the 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back