Case and CPU Fan rigging

DesertEagleXIX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
My CPU fan got filled with dust and stopped working this week. I haven't had time to get a proper CPU fan, so I used a case fan (a bit bigger, and the plastic looks better). Is there any danger to this?

Well... you don't necessarily have to use any kind of a cooler at all... if the computer is in a cold environment (like a refridgerator). Of course, in most cases the processors will just fry without some sort of cooling. You can use a regular fan but better cooling usually means longer life for a component.

I say you get a aftermarket cooler. If it's been fine all this time with just a fan, than even a cheapo heatsink will improve cooling. But do not run it without any sort of cooling because the processor will keep getting hot and will eventually cause problems or just die.

Our old computer with a P3 only has a passive (meaning just a heatsink, no fans or liquid) heatsink and it's alive and kicking just fine (if very slowly) after 6 years thanks in part to being in the basement most of the time so it's always running cool.

Case fans are ok for the most part. But if your CPU tends to get really hot during full load, a new fan+heatsink is highly recommended.

CPU fan + heatsink are cheap; you can get one between $15 - $30 at Fry's, seeing that you live in LA. Just make sure you know which CPU socket you have (I'm assuming you're not using Pentium4 giving your situation) and get a fan+heatsink that is compatible with it.

Generally "fans" can be mounted on a case bracket or on a heatsink. There really shouldn't be any danger to doing what you described unless your case fan is not powerful. In any case, I would highly recommend you getting another fan to replace the one you "lost". Then, see which out of the two you have is more powerful and use that for the heatsink.

Definitly checkout newegg.com, they have some really nice prices:

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=62

Good luck!
GF

bread's done
Back