Game Trailer's Top 10 Scariest Games of All Time

[quote name='tangytangerine']It's not G4's top 10, it's Gametrailers.com's top 10.[/QUOTE]

Thought I saw a 4 instead of a T, thanks tho. Title changed.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Can I have a list? I don't feel like watching the video.[/QUOTE]
Ditto, since one of the games is obviously a FPS (which make me sick), and I still have a hangover right now.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRVhwwh4278[/media]

For the lazy.

10. Clock Tower
9. System Shock 2
8. Eternal Darkness
7. Darkseed
6. Doom 3
5. The Suffering
4. Alien vs. Predator
3. Resident Evil remake
2. Fatal Frame 2
1. Silent Hill

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Can I have a list? I don't feel like watching the video.[/QUOTE]

You got it. In the OP now. Though I'd still suggest watching the video to fully hear their reasoning for each pick.

10) Clock Tower(PS1)
9) System Shock 2(PC)
8) Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem(GC)
7) Darkseed(PC)
6) Doom 3(Xbox & PC)
5) The Suffering(PS2 & Xbox)
4) Alien vs. Predator(Atari Jaguar)
3) Resident Evil(GC)
2) Fatal Frame 2(PS2 & Xbox)
1) Silent Hill(PS1)

Also, watch it on the GT's web site, the video quality is a lot better than the one on Youtube.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Can I have a list? I don't feel like watching the video.[/quote]

10. Clock Tower
09. System Shock 2
08. Eternal Darkness
07. Dark Seed
06. Doom 3
05. The Suffering
04. Alien vs. Predator (Jaguar)
03. Resident Evil (REmake)
02. Fatal Frame 2
01. Silent Hill

Personally, I thought RE 3 was the scariest of the series (as Nemesis was everywhere all the time)...

EDIT: I'm slow today :(

Well, FEAR isn't on the list which sucks. But I suppose those picks were decent enough.

And I do agree with The Suffering being on the list.

Surprised only one Resident Evil made the list. I only played 3 of those games so I can't really say if it's a good list or not. But the Resident Evil remake was pretty darn scary.

Pretty fair list.. Silent Hill is a great choice for #1, seriously scary and warped game.

I'm mostly surprised to see Clock Tower though; rarely gets any recognition.

Doom 3 is probably the scariest game I've played. I only played it for a few minutes in BB one day, and it had me jumping. I haven't really played many other horror games.

I've played them all except Darkseed. It looks like a pretty good list.. though I never thought Alien Vs. Predator was "scary". I agree, Fear should have taken its place.

What about Echo Night? Or Kuon? Or Siren? Or Alone in the Dark? Aren't those scarier than AVP?

[quote name='6669']Cool, thanks guys. That's almost the same as G4's though.[/quote]
Yep, watched X-Play's list. Here's what their list was:

10) Alone in the Dark(PC)
9) Fear(PC)
8) Clock Tower(Ps1)
7) Siren(PS2)
6) Clive Barker's Undying(PC)
5) Eternal Darkness(GC)
4) Resident Evil 4(GC & PS2)
3) Fatal Frame 2(XBox & Ps2)
2) System Shock 2(PC)
1) Silent Hill 2 (Ps2 & Xbox)

I agree with their #1, since I thought the second one was a lot scarier than the original.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Surprised only one Resident Evil made the list. I only played 3 of those games so I can't really say if it's a good list or not. But the Resident Evil remake was pretty darn scary.[/QUOTE]
They chose the scariest (in their opinions) game from each serious, which is why there's only 1 RE, 1 Silent Hill, etc.

It would've been better if they allowed it to include the entire series rather than just a single entry. I think SH2 was "scarier" than SH1, though SH1 wasn't exactly a family flick. The fact that Eternal Darkness is in there makes me smile, along with Darkseed. Also a good call on The suffering, as that game was all kinds of fucked-up. AvP is kind of...meh, should've replaced that with Manhunt. That game actually creeped me out. *in the mood to play some horror games now*

Side note: Isn't Clive Barker making a new game?

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I think Clive Barker's Undying should be up there somewhere.[/quote]

Agreed

I never played Clock Tower but Clock Tower 3 was definitely a game that could make you tense. Especially when the guy with the hammer or axe or what not chases you through the town breaking down doors.

also I nearly had a heart attack when in Eternal Darkness you go to the bathtub and you get a flash of the main character in the bath tub filled with blood and a shriek.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Title says it all.

http://www.qj.net/Top-10-scariest-games/pg/49/aid/71050

What do you guys think? Any bad choices? Or games that really should/should not have been included?

The List:

#10. Clocktower
#9. System Shock 2
#8. Eternal Darkness
#7. Darkseed (Never heard of it.)
#6. Doom 3
#5. The Suffering (Pretty random IMO)
#4. Alien Vs. Predator
#3. Resident Evil (remake)
#2. Fatal Frame 2
#1. Silent Hill[/QUOTE]

10. Clocktower (jumpy, but 3 is MUCH scarier)
9. System Shock 2 (actually haven't played this one, not too into PC games)
8. Eternal Darkness (should be higher on the list IMO)
7. Darkseed (unfamiliar w/this one)
6. Doom 3 (good choice)
5. The Suffering (never got around to playing it as I'm not a huge Midway fan)
4. AVP (the PC game?? People thought this was SCARY?! off the list)
3. REmake (for sure)
2. Fatal Frame 2 (my all-time fav horror series, but I think 3 is scarier b/c of the setting)
1. Silent Hill (not number 1 by a long shot. The game is decent, but its not that scary.)

And Silent Hill 2 is NOT SCARY! Its garbage compared to SH1 and I tried playing through it a 2nd time on PS2 (after completing the XBOX version a few years ago and playing through SH1 not too long ago) and I just can't stand it.

But anyways, I highly recommend the Fatal Frame series and Eternal Darkness for people who haven't tried them yet.

The only time I have ever been scared playing a video game was Tomb Raider for Sega Saturn.

In one of the latter levels, you are exploring theses caves, then all of the sudden one of the guys says "Nothing Personal" and starts shooting at you.

It would not be scary at all now with all of the speaking in games now, but back then it was.

[quote name='Sn0brawler']No condemned? I'm having a hard time verbalizing my displeasure.[/quote]

Ahhh, another good choice. Condemned is still my favorite Xbox 360 game so far.

I'd probably replace AvP with the PC game The Dark Eye. It's based around Edgar Allen Poe's short stories, and if you've ever read them, you know how creeped out you feel when you read them.

Everything else I can't complain with.

When I first read the list I was thinking that Eternal Darkness shouldn't have made it, but then I remembered the insanity effects.

My favorite game of all time...

Doom 3? Seriously? That game was boring more than scary I thought. Either Doom 1 or Doom 2 would be better choices for that, I think, though I really think the series isn't justified at being on the list at all.

Then again, I'm not a fan at all of the horror / slasher / scary genre in games or movies, so what do I know? ;) I do still need to play RE4 though, as even people who I know hate that genre of games love that one.

[quote name='daroga']Then again, I'm not a fan at all of the horror / slasher / scary genre in games or movies, so what do I know? ;) I do still need to play RE4 though, as even people who I know hate that genre of games love that one.[/quote]

RE4 is a great game but hardly scary. It has its moments but the horror is nothing compared to its predecessors. It's more of an action/adventure game that jumps out and says "boo" every once in awhile than survival/horror.

[quote name='Purple Flames']RE4 is a great game but hardly scary. It has its moments but the horror is nothing compared to its predecessors. It's more of an action/adventure game that jumps out and says "boo" every once in awhile than survival/horror.[/quote]Sounds like it's in my tastes then. Thanks for the good summary. :)

Fatal Frame 2 should have been #1. That's the only game that has ever really scared me. Lots of games have creeped me out, or made me jump, but FF2 is just scary.

That one scene where Sae is chasing you, and you have to hide in a closet. Then Sae starts impersonating your sister and she's knocking on the door asking for help. *shudders* Not to mention the game is based around twins, and I have one myself.

[quote name='wageslave']When I first read the list I was thinking that Eternal Darkness shouldn't have made it, but then I remembered the insanity effects.

My favorite game of all time...[/quote]

How does that game compare with Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

I have never played ED because I don't own a Gamecube but I heard both games are similiar in their treatment of the Lovecraft themes.

I would have Call of Cthulhu appear at the bottom of the list in my opinion.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Ahhh, another good choice. Condemned is still my favorite Xbox 360 game so far.[/QUOTE]
You and me both. I actually legitimately screamed at least once a chapter, including on my second time though. The game does such an incredible job of selling the setting, and because the combat system doesn't allow you to take many hits, each enemy can be very frightening.

Guess this means I should actually play Silent Hill sometime..

and off topic sorta, but what do you guys think of this? Just something I threw together.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyDb2kZHQSg[/media]

[quote name='Xevious']How does that game compare with Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

I have never played ED because I don't own a Gamecube but I heard both games are similiar in their treatment of the Lovecraft themes.

I would have Call of Cthulhu appear at the bottom of the list in my opinion.[/quote]

We'd have to be able to play Call of Cthulhu to put it on the list.

[quote name='Purple Flames']RE4 is a great game but hardly scary. It has its moments but the horror is nothing compared to its predecessors. It's more of an action/adventure game that jumps out and says "boo" every once in awhile than survival/horror.[/QUOTE]

I agree that overall the game wasn't as scary as the rest of the series, but there was one part that SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME.

After leaving the church (or maybe steeple?) early on in the game, you start working your way up a hill. I used my sniper rifle to look ahead and I saw a dog standing at the top of the hill. I thought it was the dog from the very beginning of the game (that you can free from a bear trap), so I started running towards it.
Suddenly the dog's head exploded open with crazy tentacles and it jumped on Leon and started mauling his neck! It scared the crap out of me, hahaha!

bread's done
Back