CheapyD Attends Hands-on PS3 Event in Akihabara

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Before we get started, I want to thank CAG Radjago for giving me the heads up on this Entamatsuri event that took place this weekend in Akihabara. They advertised playable PS3 games, so I figured it was worth the 13 minute subway ride to check it out. I hoped to get an early start to avoid the lines, but Friday night's Halloween Tokyo-Style partying (listen to this week's CAGcast for details) had taken it's toll, and I wasn't able to make it there until mid-afternoon.

Thinking that a free, playable PS3 event in the heart of Tokyo's electronics town would draw a big crowd, I didn't bother bringing a map or any details on the event's location. Akihabara's isn't that big and I was pretty sure I would be able to spot the crowd. After walking around the area for about 15 minutes unable to find some hot PS3 action, I finally came across a promising scene (or not so promosing, depending on how you look at it).

ps3eventline.jpg

Ughh...I'm not a big fan of lines (who is?), and I knew I wouldn't be able to stomach it. As I walked a bit further, it appeared that this line actually had nothing to do with the PS3 event. The crowd was waiting for some kind of raffle/giveaway.
Even better, this line had indeed brought me to the right area, as a few steps away, awaited the promised land.

ps3event.jpg

ps3event1.jpg

ps3event2.jpg

ps3event3.jpg

As you can tell from the above photos, the event was quite under attended. After all, this is Tokyo (Akihabara, no less) and you would imagine the place would be butts to nuts with gamers who would be unable to resist the PS3's siren song. I can only guess that this was due to a lack of publicity for the event and that the location a bit off of Akihabara's main drag (if you didn't know about it, you weren't likely to find it).
All the lines were very short (or non-existent) so it was easy to get plenty of quality hands on time with every game on the floor.
If you were looking to play PS3 games, this event was infinitely better than September's Tokyo Game Show.

Along with hands-on demos of the PS3 interface, the following games were playable (most likely TGS demo versions):

Devil May Cry 4
Everybody’s Golf 5
flOw
Formula One Championship Edition
Genji
Gran Turismo HD
Heavenly Sword
Lair
Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight
Monster Kingdom Unknown Realms
MotorStorm
Resistance: Fall of Man
Ridge Racer 7
The Eye of Judgment
Virtua Fighter 5

To hear my opinions of these games and much more, you'll have to tune into CAGcast #50, available for download on Wednesday morning.

Besides the PS3, there were also some PSP stuff on display, including a preview of the new colors and the PSP movie maker.
pspcolors.jpg

pspcamera.jpg

All in all, it was a great event and I am very glad that not many people knew about it. I actually went back the next day (it was still pretty empty) and brought Mrs. Cheapy and her friend/co-worker. Don't forget to tune into CAGcast #50 on Wednesday morning to hear all about the event and so much more!

If you'd like some more (and better quality) pictures, you find them here.

Quick general question because I don't want to wait for the CAGcast: Did the improved setting alter/influence your opinon of any the PS3 games you played at TGS?

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Quick general question because I don't want to wait for the CAGcast: Did the improved setting alter/influence your opinon of any the PS3 games you played at TGS?[/quote]Yes.

Awesome. Can't wait to see what you think of the games in the latest CAGcast. Although, didn't you play a majority of them during TGS? At least this time you weren't in a "butts to nuts" situation. :D

Perhaps your opinion of some games will change, now that you had a much more comfortable experience.

[quote name='CheapyD']I actually went back the next day (it was still pretty empty) and brought Mrs. Cheapy and her friend/co-worker.

If you'd like some more (and better quality) pictures, you find them here.[/quote]

Oh we want more pics, but we want the ones from the menage a trois that ultimately ensues when 3 individuals experience the ultimate bliss of $600+ gaming :lol:

JJ - Good read and I can't wait for #50

Okay. I like to believe I can act professionally, even when being told that Cheapy got to play PS3 games for two days straight without me...

BUT JESUS THAT'S *** GRAN TURISMO HD *** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright cheapy, you have us all hooked for 50. You KNOW we'll listen. But can you tell us ANYTHING about GTHD? How far along is it? Were there many tracks and cars yet? How did it play?

I broke down and tried a pre-order through TigerDirect yesterday, as I was out of town for the EB/GS pre-orders, and Toys 'R Us was a zoo yesterday by all accounts. PLEASE tell me something about what's likely to be the most purchased game on the system. (My apologies to all if I appear to be forgetting MGS4 or other big titles. Since they weren't playable here I'm *guessing* they aren't as far along.)

Thanks cheapy for posting the pics. GOSH I wish I'd been there. Right before the GS pre-order, I started reading about the PS3. And while I still can't afford a $600 system, the usual pre-launch jitters started and I really wanted to know more. 50 is a gimmie if it tells me ANYTHING about the new system. :)

I love the couple near the front of the line in the first picture whose faces seem to be saying "Why is this bald Westerner taking my picture?"

Awesome awesome awesome. I imagine there weren't many (if any) western media types at this event, so Cheapy may have a nice little scoop on everyone, at least as far as this event is concerned. Can't wait for the CAGcast...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Cheapy, what are the new PSP colors? I see white, pink, and black, whats the 4th one. Picture to dark to tell.[/QUOTE]

im pretty sure that the silver one thats supposed to come out around the same time as the pink one

[quote name='Cursor']Dugg!

Why don't you digg it, too? Get Cheapie and the CAGcast a bit of publicity so he can actually afford that damn 60,000 yen PS3 he bought!

http://digg.com/gaming_news/CheapyD_Attends_Hands_on_PS3_Event_in_Akihabara[/QUOTE]
CheapieD of cheapassgamer.com shows pictures and gives a brief report of his hands on experience with the PS3. Full report to be PodCast on Wednesday 11/1/06's CAGcast (#50). Expect CheapieD to have had more time with the PS3 than most other journalists have, and to have more fully formed opinions based on that hands-on time.
Double-ewe tee eff? CheapieD?

is going to a ps3 event worth driving 3 hours for? I got invited to the NY event tmro, I can easily get the time off, I don't think I want to drive 3 hours for it though

[quote name='CheapyD']ryan...PM wombat.
If it's the one in NYC, he went today.[/QUOTE]
thanks, the one i have is for tmro

Event Details:
Thursday, November 2nd 4pm-6pm
160 Wooster Street
New York, NY 10012

something tells me yelling "For Massive Damage" in English and Japanese was scaring the people away ... or maybe the old CheapyD pic that has him Godzilla-style over the building that he lives in was blown up to double poster size.

cheapyzilla.jpg

edit: image added for additional clarity, but in all seriousness. PS3 news is good for everyone ... especially since Kutaragi-san and company have taken their arrogance to unforseen levels. :)

bread's done
Back