Status
Not open for further replies.

lordwow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Please let me know of anything you want added to this post

Update: 1/2/07 - New NES Games This Week

There was a lot of discussion in the VC games announcement thread about having a thread so that people could discuss the VC games in terms of having some reviews and recommendations especially those games that some of us haven't played.

This first post I'll keep a list of the avaliable games and launch dates when we get them, and feel free to post recommendations and reviews in replies and hopefully this can be something we all can use as a reference when we're looking to purchase a VC game.

100 Wii Points = $1

All 2007 Release Games are the games approved by the ERSB in November of 2006.

Games Released:
(Title - Release Date - Comments)
NES - 500 Wii Points

SNES - 800 Wii Points

Nintendo 64 - 1000 Wii Points

Sega Genesis - 800 Wii Points

Turbografix-16 - 600 Wii Points

Games To Be Released:
(Title - Release Date - Comments)
NES - 500 Wii Points

SNES - 800 Wii Points

TurboGrafx-16 - 600 Wii Points

Japanese-only Launch Games
  • Legend of Kage - NES
  • Gradius - NES
  • Super Mario Bros. - NES
  • Xevious - NES
  • Ninja Jajamaru-kun - NES
  • R-Type III - SNES
  • Super Castlevania IV - SNES
  • Contra III - SNES
  • Street Fighter II - SNES
  • Donkey Kong Country - SNES - Europe Also
  • Super Mario World - SNES
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - SNES
  • Fire Emblem: Monshō no Nazo - SNES
  • Mario Super Picross - SNES
  • Shadow Dancer - Genesis
  • Puyo Puyo - Genesis
  • Necromancer - Turbografx
  • New Adventure Island - Turbografx
  • Dungeon Explorer - Turbografx
  • Battle Lode Runner - Turbografx
  • Bomberman ’94 - Turbografx

Does anyone else remember any of the old screenshots that showed the possibility of changing things within the old games, such as playing as luigi within Super Mario World?

My dad would be interested in the SNES version of Wario's Woods, he played that game every day for at least three hours. I think he got to level 9999 or something crazy like that, not sure if the game ends or not.

I'm really pissed that Punch Out is missing from the start, hope that's on there soon.

What I'm wondering about the most is the presentation of the VC titles. I hope Nintendo capitalizes on the nostalgia value that these games hold, because frankly, I can't see myself paying however much (5$ for an NES game, right?) on top of the 250$ for a Wii.

What I mean by nostalgia value is that Nintendo can present far, far more content based on these games than you could get from an emulator. Much like how itunes has artist bios and album reviews, I'm hoping Nintendo includes box art scans, player reviews, game history/descriptions, etc.

I mean, there are a lot of cool extras that could be put in to make a game worth the money. Old Nintendo Power articles featuring the game in question? Instruction book scans? Free Wii gui themes?

If that happens, I'm in. If it's a barebones download & play thing, I'll still be on the fence about buying a Wii.

[quote name='Zoglog']hot damn those are expensive.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for contributing your always insightful comments to this thread.

I have to say that I'm a little dissapointed in the launch. I didn't expect the U.S. to get as many VC games as Japan, but Fire Emblem has a cult following over here and would have sold well, in my opinion.

[quote name='rabbitt']I have to say that I'm a little dissapointed in the launch. I didn't expect the U.S. to get as many VC games as Japan, but Fire Emblem has a cult following over here and would have sold well, in my opinion.[/quote]Would have been nice, but that would have involved localizing it. I didn't even realize there was an SNES Fire Emblem. Even in Japan, I thought they started on GBA.

[quote name='botticus']Would have been nice, but that would have involved localizing it. I didn't even realize there was an SNES Fire Emblem. Even in Japan, I thought they started on GBA.[/quote]

I bet thats precisely just what they're doing. Localizing it, I mean.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']I bet thats precisely just what they're doing. Localizing it, I mean.[/quote]Heh, if they start localizing games to release them in different regions, prices cannot be complained about.

[quote name='theq87']I mean, there are a lot of cool extras that could put in to make a game worth the money. Old Nintendo Power articles featuring the game in question? Instruction book scans? Free Wii gui themes?

If that happens, I'm in. If it's a barebones download & play thing, I'll still be on the fence about buying a Wii.[/quote]

It has been confirmed that a digital instruction manual will come with each VC game. Now whether that is a generic guide or a replica of the original manual is unknown.

I agree with your thoughts on Nintendo capitalizing on the nostalgia factor. I think it would be a great addition to have this kind of stuff come with VC games, but I am not basing my decision to purchase the Wii on any of the VC stuff at all.

[quote name='botticus']Heh, if they start localizing games to release them in different regions, prices cannot be complained about.[/QUOTE]

Right. The counter-arguement to these VC games is that we've played them before-- however, if Nintendo brings over some Japan-only games, Wii owners will go crazy.

NES - 500 Wii Points
The Legend of Zelda - 2006
Donkey Kong - 2006

SNES - 800 Wii Points
F-Zero - 2006

Super Mario 64 - 2006

Altered Beast - 2006
Golden Axe - 2006
Gunstar Heroes - 2006
Ristar - 2006

TurboGrafx-16 - 600 Wii Points
Bonk's Adventure - 2006

I'll probably pick these up.

[quote name='botticus']Would have been nice, but that would have involved localizing it. I didn't even realize there was an SNES Fire Emblem. Even in Japan, I thought they started on GBA.[/QUOTE]

I think there's 2-3 on the SNES. Might be one on the NES also.

I'd wiki all this, but I'm lazy.

One of the SNES games - Thracia 999 I think - came out in 1999, well after the SNES was officially dead. It was pronounced one of the hardest SRPGs ever made, but supposedly one of the best as well.

[quote name='iheartmetal']damn you japan...

they are getting at least 5 games i would get.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I was looking forward to a Chrismas break full of Zelda/Mario goodness.

Now it's going to be a break with less goodness.

Although 500 Wii points is fair for a NES game, does the older games like Donkey Kong need to be 500? Ah well I could live with it.

I must say though, that is an impressive genesis launch, truely awesome.

Is the SNES Sim City any good? Might pick that up sometime when I got extra cash after buying some genesis stuff.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']
Is the SNES Sim City any good? Might pick that up sometime when I got extra cash after buying some genesis stuff.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']
Is the SNES Sim City any good? Might pick that up sometime when I got extra cash after buying some genesis stuff.[/QUOTE]

I remember enjoying Sim City on the SNES quite a bit when it first came out. I still have my original copy but haven't played it in years. As I recall the controls weren't all that bad... but it's been a very long time.

I didn't even realize there was an SNES Fire Emblem. Even in Japan, I thought they started on GBA.

As far as Fire Emblem on the SNES is concerned... according to the list on Gamefaqs, there appears to have been 7 released in Japan. According to Wikipedia there were 3. Oh, well... there were more than 2... that works for me.

I haven't played Sim City for the SNES in a while, but I used to play it all the time when it first came out on the system. So it's definitely one of the first VC games I'll buy, as well as Golden Axe.

And thanks OP, this is a great idea/thread!

Wait wait wait...I didn't see this...URBAN CHAMPION is on the initial release?

EVERYONE, AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS. One of the worst games I have ever played. If Nintendo tricks someone into paying $5, they're more evil than...than...I dunno, something real evil.

[quote name='botticus']Would have been nice, but that would have involved localizing it. I didn't even realize there was an SNES Fire Emblem. Even in Japan, I thought they started on GBA.[/quote]
Fire Emblem actually started on the Famicom (NES) in Japan. North America was way late in jumping on the FE wagon. There were 5-7 games for the Famicom and Super Famicom before we saw one for the GBA, and there are approximately 2-3 more GBA titles we just didn't get here that Japan got.

[quote name='psunami']As far as Fire Emblem on the SNES is concerned... according to the list on Gamefaqs, there appears to have been 7 released in Japan. According to Wikipedia there were 3. Oh, well... there were more than 2... that works for me.[/quote]

There were 3 for the Super Famicom:

1) Monsho no Nazo
2) Seisen no Keifu
3) Thracia 776 (very rare, if you find a complete copy it is going to run you ~$100 USD)

I'm definately getting Solomon's Key on day 1. I was never able to finish that game when I was a kid, but now its going to be payback time. I'm definately getting that one.

TBW

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Although 500 Wii points is fair for a NES game, does the older games like Donkey Kong need to be 500? Ah well I could live with it.

I must say though, that is an impressive genesis launch, truely awesome.

I have SNES Sim City and it's actually really fun. If I didn't own it already I'd consider getting the VC version of it. It's also got a ton of replayability on top of the fact that it takes a long time to build up your city, so you'll get tons of hours of play out of it.

I never owned genesis so I'm excited about those games, Golden Axe & TJ&E. I will be excited for VC when the SNES gets more love i.e. Rock N Roll Racing, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid.

Sim City on SNES is my favorite version of the franchise so it'll probably be my first VC purchase.

I just hope VC ends up being used in Pre-orders. I rarely pre-order anymore, but if they say, give away metroid nes when you pick up your pre-order of Prime 3, I'd be all over some pre-ordering.

Sim City was the first game I played that when watching my friend play the SNES version I said, "Wait, how can you possibly not go insane not having a mouse?" That's carried over into FPS games on consoles as well as RTS games.

That being said, we still had a blast cheating and making the best city EVER! ;)

The only VC games that I have huge interest in are the Turbographic-16 games. Mainly because I never owned one. Are any of the ones on the list a must buy? Dungeon Explorer looks good, is it worth the money?

This may be the sleeping elephant in the room, but after this week's news on the subject, I can't help but wonder if Super Mario Bros. and/or others will be included with purchase of the console. If we all think about this in context, it doesn't benefit Nintendo at all to have the Chrono Triggers and the "Obscure Japanese Game #972" that we the hardcore desire (at least at launch).

Their whole focus here is going after the crowd that will recognize Mario and Duck Hunt, buy the thing, then find that not only is "The princess in another castle" but by inserting their credit card #, they can also obtain other games they loved before they grew tired of the hobby.

I mean that with all respect due to Nintendo of course. Let's keep our fingers crossed for penetration of new markets, which will in turn provides us with more esoteric nerd awesomeness :D

[quote name='mbartholow']This may be the sleeping elephant in the room, but after this week's news on the subject, I can't help but wonder if Super Mario Bros. and/or others will be included with purchase of the console. If we all think about this in context, it doesn't benefit Nintendo at all to have the Chrono Triggers and the "Obscure Japanese Game #972" that we the hardcore desire (at least at launch).

Their whole focus here is going after the crowd that will recognize Mario and Duck Hunt, buy the thing, then find that not only is "The princess in another castle" but by inserting their credit card #, they can also obtain other games they loved before they grew tired of the hobby.

I mean that with all respect due to Nintendo of course. Let's keep our fingers crossed for penetration of new markets, which will in turn provides us with more esoteric nerd awesomness :D[/QUOTE]

I think Cheapy and Wombat mentioned something to this effect in the CAGCast this week, that including the original Mario/Duck Hunt combo would cause games to wet themselves basically.

[quote name='lordwow']Golden Axe is co-op multiplayer right? The Wii supports this no?[/quote]Yup, locally at least.

Now that I've really thought about it, the prices are fair, and are on par with the XBLA, but God damn that's a fucking disappointing NES release list. Don't even get me started on the SNES list. Jesus Christ. Hopefully Nintendo pumps out the VC games faster then Microsoft does with the XBLA games.

[quote name='iufoltzie']Translation: You are going to need two Classic controllers buddy.[/quote]Or someone who wouldn't mind a GC controller.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Now that I've really thought about it, the prices are fair, and are on par with the XBLA, but God damn that's a fucking disappointing NES release list. Don't even get me started on the SNES list. Jesus Christ. Hopefully Nintendo pumps out the VC games faster then Microsoft does with the XBLA games.[/quote]
Agreed. They're expensive enough that I can't throw caution to the wind when buying things, but they're not way out of line.

I do believe they'll be kicking in the "good" stuff quickly. There's a LOT that I'd like to buy that I can't at the moment.

[quote name='daroga']Agreed. They're expensive enough that I can't throw caution to the wind when buying things, but they're not way out of line.

I do believe they'll be kicking in the "good" stuff quickly. There's a LOT that I'd like to buy that I can't at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Rather strange... You would think a few more heavy hitters would be available. Of course nothing prevents Nintendo from adding more in December.

Besides, Zelda is supposed to be 70+ hours. Who is going to have time for VC games?

[quote name='iufoltzie']Translation: You are going to need two Classic controllers buddy.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I'll deal with my wavebirds.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Now that I've really thought about it, the prices are fair, and are on par with the XBLA, but God damn that's a fucking disappointing NES release list. Don't even get me started on the SNES list. Jesus Christ. Hopefully Nintendo pumps out the VC games faster then Microsoft does with the XBLA games.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if it's a great strategy by Nintendo or not. One would think if the prices were cut by 1/2 they'd gain a massive audience... at least in terms of buying more games.

Either way, ya they should have had at least one big SNES title (Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, even Mario Kart), especially seeing what Japan got.

And ya, I'll be consumed with Zelda:TP, but I plan on breaking it up with Mario 64.

[quote name='iufoltzie']Rather strange... You would think a few more heavy hitters would be available. Of course nothing prevents Nintendo from adding more in December.

Besides, Zelda is supposed to be 70+ hours. Who is going to have time for VC games?[/quote]My take is they want people spending their money on actual Wii games up front. Probably about the same amount of profit per sale, and the VC downloads aren't going anywhere, nor do they cost anything to sit around unbought.

[quote name='lordwow']I'm not sure if it's a great strategy by Nintendo or not. One would think if the prices were cut by 1/2 they'd gain a massive audience... at least in terms of buying more games.[/QUOTE]

It's an economics issue that you're working with there. Just for an example, if Nintendo is hoping to sell 500,000 copies of F-zero at $8, they'd have to sell 1,000,000 of them at $4, to make the same amount of money... .plus you'd have to figure that with a great deal more downloading they would probably have to deal with a bit more network infrastructure and bandwidth as well. It's a difficult balance.

F-Zero is the only title that I'm picking up at the moment, but I might cave and pick up Mario 64 again as well.

I'm all about Gunstar and Dungeon Explorer. It's not much, but it's still more than I've bought off XBLA.

I feel that we haven't met our quota of hyperbole, though, so maybe I should also add a "WTF? No 'Sin and Punishment' at launch? Damn Nintendo, trying to rape us! I refuse to ever buy a Wii now!" just for completeness.

I see myself buying (right now) 5-6 games the first month. The only Wii game I am currently planning on buying at launch is Zelda, but I may grab Trauma Center and Rayman as well if I buy my Wi at Target.

Sadly, if Zelda really does plan to be 60-70 hours....how will I have time for the VC games? I hope Nintendo really goes all out and updates the VC games.

An interesting fact on Zelda...the little rabbits (Name escapes me) were originally killed in the Japanese version by making a sound through the Famicon controller (or a special one). I would love to see that put back in.

My plan right now is to get Zelda and TC at launch to hold me through till at least Xmas, maybe get another game or two for XMas and that's it until pricedrops/Mario/SSMB/etc

Anyone have any idea how much space these games are going to take? I have a 1GB SD card that I expect will hold A LOT of VC games.

Anyone have a per-system breakdown of how big the average game is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back