What Are Some Good Zombie Movies/Literature?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
I'm a big zombie film buff and have seen quite a few, but it seems that lately my well has been drying up. I'm not going to go off and start listing every zombie flick I've seen, but I'll just put up some:

Dead Meat
Land/Day/Dawn (+remake)/Night (+remake) of the dead
Resident Evil, Resident Evil Remake

and quite a few others.

Oh and If you guys have some good zombie books to read throw those up too.

I've read:

Day By Day: Armageddon, The Rising, City of the Dead, Monster Island

and the seminal World War Z (read twice already) and Zombie Survival Guide.

I highly recommend the Walking Dead comics by Robert Kirkman. Great reads even if you're not a comics fan. You can pick the collected trades pretty cheap on Amazon or Instocktrades.com.

Yaeh I've read The Walking Dead. Nearly got the boks signed at Comic-Con, but Kirkman had just left his booth over at Image and I just missed him. No biggie, but they were sold out of the TPBs of the new ones that I needed at the time.

Yup check out Walking Dead. I don't read much comics anymore but I still try to get the latest issue of Walking Dead.

Y the Last man (also a comic) might not have zombies but its got that zombie, survival vibe.

1) Shaun of the Dead
2) Marvel Zombies with prequels Ultimate FF: Crossover and the Upcoming Marvel Zombies: Dead Days and Army of Darkness/Marvel Zombies.

Check out these films

Zombi 2 (The sequel to Dawn of the Dead in Italy)
The Beyond
City of the Living Dead

All directed by Italian horror legend Lucio Fulci .

Technically this is not a zombie book- its a book about Vampires. Richard Matheson's book "I Am Legend' was responsible for George Romero's zombie movies as well as Vincent Price's "Last Man on Earth" and Charleton Heston's "Omega Man". The book is considered to be a horror classic.

Even though "Omega Man" and "Last Man on Earth" were adaptations of the book; George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead" was the movie that captured the spirit of the book (Something the other films failed to do).

[quote name='bobo2k4']Yup check out Walking Dead. I don't read much comics anymore but I still try to get the latest issue of Walking Dead.

Y the Last man (also a comic) might not have zombies but its got that zombie, survival vibe.[/quote]

Yaeh, I remember having similar thoughts as I was going through Y the Last Man. Excellent story and Brian K Vaugn is now one of my absolute favorite comic writers.

Seen Zombi as well.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I know there is no way you have not seen this, but 28 days later is a must have.[/quote]

Yaeh I've seen that one. Surprisingly when I first saw it I didn't like it too much, but over time I've begun to appreciate it more.

Read Marvel Zombies as well. Actually, that's great news that there is going to be a continuation/extension of the story arc, but I thought that the portals/zombies had been stopped?

Theres this zombie book called The Dead by Mark E. Rogers thats pretty good. Check it out at amazon. Its a zombie book that involves the rapture.

I agree with the other posters, Walking Dead by Kirkman is fantastic. If you're a fan of superheroes, than you may also like Kirkman's Marvel Zombie (not sure of the title).

Shaun of the Dead, great movie.

Hiccup, I saw this thread and knew that I had something great for you. It wasn't until now that it finally hit me and I remembered. I Walked with a Zombie, produced by Val Lewton. Actually, all of Lewton's films are great, and the set is a definite must-buy for the DDD sale, but I digress...

I Walked with a Zombie deals a lot more with witchcraft and voodoo, so it's not much like any other zombie movies. The atmosphere is incredible, though, like all Lewton's productions. I know it's something you'd enjoy.

My tastes have been veering towards the off-beat Euro zombie films, particularly the Underwater Nazi Zombie sub-genre... stuff like Shock Waves, Zombie Lake, and Oasis of the Zombies really trip me up. Hilarious good times with friends, beer, and Chinese take-away.

[quote name='Scobie']My tastes have been veering towards the off-beat Euro zombie films, particularly the Underwater Nazi Zombie sub-genre... stuff like Shock Waves, Zombie Lake, and Oasis of the Zombies really trip me up. Hilarious good times with friends, beer, and Chinese take-away.[/quote]
I need to find these, are these out in R1 or at the DDD sale?

Edit: Whatta ya know, zombie lake is there!

bread's done
Back