Taito Arcade Cabinet - ~$500 shipped @ Overstock (Possibly MAME?)

gofishn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm pretty sure this is a MAME cabinet since it says it has an Intel processor and some of the reviews mention that it's fully upgradeable. Anyway, here you go:

http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1882597

Says it has 20 Taito games and a 21" monitor. Originally was $1,299 - now $558.99, shipping is $1.

Use this link first and it will give any new customer 10%:
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2...&PAGE=STATICPAGE&PAGE_ID=2645&cid=103558&fp=F

Let me know what you guys think, looks like a hell of a deal to me if it's really a MAME cabinet.

Anybody have any more information on this thing? I tried finding some but I can't really locate anything on this exact cabinet. I mean, if its just a PC inside it would be incredibly easy to put a ton of different games on this thing.

I saw something a lot like this in a Costco a while ago. If it's the same thing, then it's actually a very small cabinet, much smaller then most authentic arcade cabinets you'd remember.

I hope I'm wrong though... shipping alone on such a thing might normally be a couple hundred bucks, so this might be a very nice deal!

Yeah, it is painfully small in my opinion. About the size of those small sit-down Neo Geo cabinets. My other gripe is the fact that the actual cabinet itself feels like its made of cheap plastic, not wood, and doesn't feel very sturdy. I think any arcade fan would be better off putting that $500 towards a REAL arcade machine.

Intel processor and the review says:

By Honda from miami

"This bring me back. I love this unit. I cant wait for them to come out with others,,, This system is fully upgradable. LOVE IT"

It has to be MAME with a PC. If so I can load that up like crazy. Man, What a great price.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's not one of those mini ones. Those small ones are just a 13" TV with a stupid plug-and-play game thing in it and are made extremely cheaply. This thing has a 21" monitor and an Intel processor. I really, really want to buy this, but I need more information before I can pull the trigger.

It does say 61" high though so that seems a little short. My old cabinet was about a foot taller.

I've got a broken Ms. Pacman cabinent, and it is slightly bigger than this box. It is about 4 inches taller and a few inches wider. The monitor on Ms. Pacman is 21" though, so this is pretty close to fullsize.

Man I wish I could afford this right now. I'd have been willing to risk it. 21" monitor and it says wood materials in the item description. Though I do see they list Arkanoid 2 and Revenge of Doh as 2 of the 20 games. Aren't they the same game?

[quote name='crowbb']Man I wish I could afford this right now. I'd have been willing to risk it. 21" monitor and it says wood materials in the item description. Though I do see they list Arkanoid 2 and Revenge of Doh as 2 of the 20 games. Aren't they the same game?[/QUOTE]

You are right. It must be a typo because the name of the game is Arkanoid: Revenge of Doh.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=6917

[quote name='crowbb'] Though I do see they list Arkanoid 2 and Revenge of Doh as 2 of the 20 games. Aren't they the same game?[/quote]

Yes -- those are the same game.

I'm so tempted, but I just can't take a $500 leap of faith right now. I've been digging and digging for information on this thing but everything leads right back to the damn Overstock page.

[quote name='gofishn']I found a review of the bartop version of this unit. Very interesting stuff:
http://www.retroblast.com/reviews/GameRoomClassicsCabinet-08012006-01.html
The bartop apparently uses a small JAMMA board. I'm thinking the full size cabinet has to be MAME based since it says Intel processor.[/QUOTE]
Well, it is possible to have a custom-built Wintel computer that has a JAMMA hookup. A lot of the hardware running the newest arcade games is PC based now, maybe even most.

I found the official web site for the company but it gives just about as much information as everything else that's has been found.

Gameroom Classics - http://www.pvgtech.com/
Cabinet Pictures - http://www.pvgtech.com/Pictures.htm

I did find some information in the rgvac group about the jamma board in the bartop editions.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video.arcade.collecting/browse_thread/thread/a822732bab170ce3/fa027dd631d9ae27?lnk=st&q=%22Gameroom+Classics%22+taito&rnum=3&hl=en#fa027dd631d9ae27

Looks like it uses an SD Card to store the roms, however, I haven't found anything about reprogramming it.

I just went in on this- too good of a deal. Even got the 50 bucks off using the new cust. coupon.

Has anyone found info on how to load MAME roms onto this? I am guessing it is just a motherboard with a small drive. I am also guessing adding roms will be easy.

Now, time to break the news to the wife...

[quote name='seancusick'] I am also guessing adding roms will be easy.
.[/quote]

If the links above describe the standup unit as well, adding roms might not be so easy. Check out the discussion on the Google thread linked above.

I don't know, in the features list for the bartop it says something like "fast microprocessor" while the other says "Intel processor". Fill us in on what's inside when you get it seancusick. If it's just running MAME on a PC, you hit the jackpot and I'll be ordering one as well.

I know that MAME normally isn't allowed to be distributed with ROM images, so if this does run MAME, then the manufacturer of this cabinet must have a special licenseing arrangement with the MAMEdevs.

Or they're very, very bold.

I couldn't buy this in a thousand years because I actually want to get married to my fiancee sometime next year but it's very tempting.

Hmm pretty nice deal, but not sure where I would put another arcade. Already have 2 real pinball machines and not sure where I would actually put this.

Will have to look more into this after I get this dam Stats homework done.

Yeah, for anyone that finds more information please post here as I am also possibly interested in this unit, once we have more info such as what is inside the cabinet, the actual size of the unit, the quality of the cabinet and monitor, etc. Thanks!

[quote name='BIG5']No Bust a Move, no deal. And shipping kills it.[/QUOTE]

Well, it does have Puzzle Bobble, and yeah, shipping is quite a gouge.

[quote name='BIG5']No Bust a Move, no deal. And shipping kills it.[/QUOTE]

How does $1 shipping kill this deal ? It seems like a great deal if it's everything we hope for.

[quote name='KingDox']How does $1 shipping kill this deal ? It seems like a great deal if it's everything we hope for.[/QUOTE]
Sarcasm....

I have no money for this. Awesome if I had my own house/an empty area and money.

Nice find, I was going to wait to get a new house before picking up a arcade cabinet but at this price it's tempting! Looking forward to a review from those who bit the bullet!

They sold these at BJ's last fall. I think they sold them for $899. They didn't sell -1- the entire holiday season and they never went on sale... :(

I got approval from the wife on this as well. Im not touching this until theres a final word on whats making this thing work. I got DVD's ready to go if the news is good.

Plus if you have a new Entertainment coupon book theres a coupon in it for 20% ..i forget the amount..but it came to about 50.00 off the whole price. And if you can stack that and the new customer coupon that $100.00? off?

[quote name='ryosnk']People who ordered please post impressions.[/QUOTE]

I agree, any details or pictures of this thing would be greatly appreciated once you get it. If you can put different games on this bad boy count me in.

BTW, here is the manufacturer's phone # if anyone wants to call:
1-800-370-1471

and here is their e-mail:
[email protected]

I'd call but I'm in class right now. I can call after 4:00 PM EST if nobody else has by then.

I just want to know if there's room to throw a different PC in there, and what the connectors are for video (VGA? Interlaced RGB?), audio, and the joysticks and such.

I will post a review here when it comes in. On the order, it is listed as 1-3 weeks shipping, so it may be awhile. I guess that is what $1 buys you...

I have been searching for any links to getting Mame on this thing- nothing thus far.

If anyone finds out anything please link and post.

This uses propietary hardware...It's upgradeable, yeah...But only with an update from this company...They were supposed to release a Capcom one with Street Fighter on it, but as far as I know, it never saw the light of day...They make an SNK one as well, the mini version can be found on Target.com for around $300...I've seen this one at Costco...It's a decent size...The price is good on it, for a game room, it's a cool addition...Just don't expect it to be as quality a product as a "real" coin-op...There's a reason they're 2-3k...

[quote name='seancusick']I will post a review here when it comes in. On the order, it is listed as 1-3 weeks shipping, so it may be awhile. I guess that is what $1 buys you...

I have been searching for any links to getting Mame on this thing- nothing thus far.

If anyone finds out anything please link and post.[/QUOTE]
I will wait for your review on this. Hopefully it will still be on sale in a few weeks when I go to order it.

I ordered one of these as well, so I'll let you guys know the deal when it comes. As far as I can tell, these operate on a proprietary emulator, so you can't just add roms to the memory card and expect them to work.

But... according to the review posted earlier, this whole system is based on a jamma board so you should be able to buy something like this:

http://www.ultimarc.com/jpac.html

to connect a MAME pc and play through the cabinent. You should also be able to buy other jamma boards off ebay if you want to play some other actual/non-emulated arcade games.

The email I sent requesting upgrade info from the company resulted in this reply: (not that promising)

"Soon you will be able to upgrade yes. You may continue to look at our website as we are changing that site also."

[quote name='blueboy']I ordered one of these as well, so I'll let you guys know the deal when it comes. As far as I can tell, these operate on a proprietary emulator, so you can't just add roms to the memory card and expect them to work.

But... according to the review posted earlier, this whole system is based on a jamma board so you should be able to buy something like this:

http://www.ultimarc.com/jpac.html

to connect a MAME pc and play through the cabinent. You should also be able to buy other jamma boards off ebay if you want to play some other actual/non-emulated arcade games.

The email I sent requesting upgrade info from the company resulted in this reply: (not that promising)

"Soon you will be able to upgrade yes. You may continue to look at our website as we are changing that site also."[/QUOTE]

Well, if it is indeed a Jamma board then it should be easy to hook up to a PC. I can't wait to hear your impressions of this thing. Keep us posted.

It runs on real arcade hardware (Jamma board), but supposedly it is mono-stereo output. If it is the same hardware used in the tabletop version, this could play the SNK games from the tabletop SNK model. If that Ultimarc J-PAC works I might have to bite the bullet and buy one of these. I'm going to post this deal on BYOAC (if not already posted) and see what those guys have to say about it.

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']It runs on real arcade hardware (Jamma board), but supposedly it is mono-stereo output. If it is the same hardware used in the tabletop version, this could play the SNK games from the tabletop SNK model. If that Ultimarc J-PAC works I might have to bite the bullet and buy one of these. I'm going to post this deal on BYOAC (if not already posted) and see what those guys have to say about it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. Let us know what the people at BYOAC think.

bread's done
Back