Games that were rare upon release?

doctordoom1974

CAGiversary!
I was wondering if anyone could name some games that they thought or actually were rare soon after their release. These games can be from any generation and for any system.

There is one game that I think became rare soon after its release; Devil Summoner for the PS2. I think only GameStop got this game in my area, because I have not seen it anywhere else.

Name some other games if you like!

[quote name='doctordoom1974']
There is one game that I think became rare soon after its release; Devil Summoner for the PS2. I think only GameStop got this game in my area, because I have not seen it anywhere else.
[/QUOTE]

That dosen't mean it's rare though... Gamestop gets alot of games that no one else will stock, and that's due to demand and shelf space.

Rez was sort of rare after it first came out. I didn't see it anywhere it first except one website (not a major one) had it but it was $49.99 so I passed.

DDR Disney Mix was another one. I only remember seeing it at Amazon.com and Toys R Us and after a few weeks it seemed like it was sold out eveywhere.

Make 5000 US copies of a game and it'll be rare at release. I wonder who would do something stupid like that would make collectors say "Gahh".

Well that is anything that is realeased in low numbers....like

REAL limited editions that is less then 24 or even 1.

Add-On discs. Like Music CD's and preview discs. Even a Game that is released on the console with the other game.

Anything that is skighty diffrent with cover art or maybe even extra characters.

[quote name='furyk']Make 5000 US copies of a game and it'll be rare at release. I wonder who would do something stupid like that would make collectors say "Gahh".[/QUOTE]
Atlus has always been the king of low runs of software -- which is how they've stayed in business so long as a small publisher. Go Go Hypergrind, Cubivore, Dual Hearts all had low runs. That doesn't make them valuable, per se, but they were rare upon release as the OP wanted.

Speaking of Atlus, anyone remember how, when the GBA launched, Best Buy refused to carry Super Dodge Ball?

[quote name='ViolentLee']Atlus has always been the king of low runs of software -- which is how they've stayed in business so long as a small publisher. Go Go Hypergrind, Cubivore, Dual Hearts all had low runs. That doesn't make them valuable, per se, but they were rare upon release as the OP wanted.

Speaking of Atlus, anyone remember how, when the GBA launched, Best Buy refused to carry Super Dodge Ball?[/QUOTE]
no idea. Do you know the whole story?

[quote name='62t']no idea. Do you know the whole story?[/QUOTE]
That's about all I know. I guess Best Buy just didn't think it would sell well enough to carry it. Personally, I found it one of the top 3 GBA launch titles (along with Mario Advance and Castlevania:CotM).

It's funny, because before that, another Game Informer editor at the time (Kristian) stated that he believed Super Dodge Ball would be the best-selling GBA launch title. We all laughed at him when we found out about the BB situation (and a little before).

bread's done
Back