Hori Digital Gamecube Pad -- $9.95

Interesting. I didn't know a controller like this existed. There seems to be some confusion about which controller can be used with which games on the Wii, though, so keep that in mind.

[quote name='depascal22']Anyone have any experience with these? I'd love to get these until there's a deal on the Classic remote.[/quote]
They're great for GBA games via the GB Player, which is why I picked my two up back when they were $16.

[quote name='depascal22']Anyone have any experience with these? I'd love to get these until there's a deal on the Classic remote.[/quote]I really like mine. The shape is very much akin to the SNES pad. My only gripe is that I wish the buttons were arranged ala the SNES (or Classic controller) instead of the GC buttons. But for a GC game where you want to use a Dpad instead of an analog stick, it works well. And the dpad is the best I've used on a Non-Nintendo controller.

Sweet, I almost ordered one for over $20 shipped yesterday. These must have just come in stock today.

Thanks Daroga!

[quote name='Apossum']Sweet, I almost ordered one for over $20 shipped yesterday. These must have just come in stock today.

Thanks Daroga![/quote]No prob :) Glad it could be a help! I believe this is my first posting of a deal here, ever. ;)

Does a Snes to gc adapter exist? Then people could just buy the real snes pads and use it for VC games.

I am guessing that at $20 the classic controller is just worth it.

I love these things. got mine at gamecrazy for the same price a year ago, and it works great with the gameboy player. solidly built, like pretty much everything from hori.

I was just about to post this deal :p

Anyways, I contemplated for awhile about getting this for the Wii's VC but in the end chose not to. It lacks a C-stick for N64 games and the button configuration hurts SNES games.

Nevertheless, this is great for the Gamecube Gameboy Player and reviews for the controller are very positive.

I got a couple of these for like $20 each a long, long time ago. Very nice controllers for GBA games and other Gamecube games (like Megaman Anniversary Collection and MK:DA).

This is an absolute must buy if you have the GBA player. I got the e-mail, too:

"This retro type controller had been discontinued in the US & Japan. Due
to its popularity, we made contact with Hori Japan and arranged the
last shipment of these sold out controllers to the United States."

If you're interested at all, you'd better jump on it.

I would have picked one of these up a year ago, but I just sold my GCN and GB Player and I'm planning to get the Classic Controller for the Wii.

Okay... if I'm off topic, I apologize, but this is a question regarding the reason to purchase.

I'm lost. Why is this so much better than a "standard" GC controller for GBA titles? Is the larger size of the GC controller a problem for a lot of people?

FYI, this is NOT a slam or my being a smartass. I've got a Panasonic Q, the original Japanese GBP for it, and I'm just curious if I really need one or more of these. Probably not, since I've barely used my GBP since I got it.

I found the controllers really handy for games that don't use analog, like Mortal Kombat and Dr. Mario. (I'm almost tempted to get two more just for Dr. Mario since me and my friends play that so much.) My bf really liked it for Megaman Anniversary for the same reason, along with the fact is has that classic controller feel.

Edited to add: To clarify some more, the GC controller has the digital directional pad in a kinda awkward location, with the analog joystick being more comfortable to use. So any games that you would prefer to use the d-pad instead of a joystick would be good to use a Hori controller with. (I think in MK you couldn't even use the joystick.)

man I got 2 of these,

I tear shit up in Nintendo Puzzle collection with them!

I also used it to play resident evil

yeah, i have 3 of these that i've picked up at the same price (10 bucks). they're WAY worth it. they're built like 1st party controllers, no lie. i got mine for Ikaruga, and they definitely help in that game. we also use them to play Warioware Inc., and they work great on that too.

highly recommended.

YES. Get these. I have two and love them to death. Hori products are awesome quality. Works great with the GameBoy Player and any GameCube games that don't require the thumbstick. Very comfy. Get get get.

Wow, can't believe so many people here are buying them. They seem solid, but CC is selling Classic controllers for $14.99 the first week of release. I'd rather pay $5 more for it.

[quote name='Kendro']Wow, can't believe so many people here are buying them. They seem solid, but CC is selling Classic controllers for $14.99 the first week of release. I'd rather pay $5 more for it.[/QUOTE]IIRC, you can't use Wii Classic controllers to play Gamecube games.

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']I've seen the same thing (or something remarkably similar) at EB B&M, also for $10, if you guys prefer not to buy online.[/quote]

I didn't know that EB carries this item. Was it new or a used one that someone traded in?
I would definitely pick up one of these or one of each color if they can be found new for $10 at Gamestop. Last time I checked two weeks ago, I didn't see any of these types of controllers, maybe I should look harder next time.

[quote name='Kendro']Wow, can't believe so many people here are buying them. They seem solid, but CC is selling Classic controllers for $14.99 the first week of release. I'd rather pay $5 more for it.[/QUOTE]

getting it with CvS2 and Ikaruga in mind. possibly Chaos Field as well.

I wasn't aware of the CC deal on the...CC....so thanks for posting that! Might as well get one of those as well.

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']I've seen the same thing (or something remarkably similar) at EB B&M, also for $10, if you guys prefer not to buy online.[/quote]They're similar, but they're crap 3rd party, verses Hori which is practically first party in the quality of their accessories. Granted, I've not sued the "retro" controllers that EB/GS sells, but if past history has taught me anything, it's avoid 3rd party controllers at all costs, with a few exceptions, the Hori Digital Pad being one of them.

I've owned one of these for years, and still use it--works amazingly for any 2d games (Ikaruga, Nintendo Puzzle Collection). Highly recommended.

[quote name='nwaugh']This is my first eStarland purchase - how long does an order usually take to move past "processing"?[/quote]

usually pretty quick. I got my Shadow Hearts 3 guide within days after ordering. used 2-7 days. Prolly took 3-4.

And on a side note, can someone suggest a list of games that are perfect for this controller besides Ikaruga? Trying to make these controllers useful until i get the Wii.

From what's been said previously:
All GBA games
Capcom vs. SNK EO
Chaos Field
Ikaruga
Mega Man Anniv. Collection
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Nintendo Puzzle Collection
Resident Evil
WarioWare, Inc.

Games that have promise:
Alien Hominid
Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition (first half)
Mega Man X Collection
Midway Arcade Treasures 1-3
Puyo Puyo Pop
Resident Evil 2, 3
Sonic Gems Collection
Sonic Mega Collection
Super Smash Bros. Melee

[quote name='nwaugh']From what's been said previously:
All GBA games
Capcom vs. SNK EO
Chaos Field
Ikaruga
Mega Man Anniv. Collection
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Nintendo Puzzle Collection
Resident Evil
WarioWare, Inc.

Games that have promise:
Alien Hominid
Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition (first half)
Mega Man X Collection
Midway Arcade Treasures 1-3
Puyo Puyo Pop
Resident Evil 2, 3
Sonic Gems Collection
Sonic Mega Collection
Super Smash Bros. Melee[/quote]

Also works great for Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen (Naruto: Clash of Ninja) 1-3. It won't work on the 4th version of the game since they took out d-pad support in that one. :(

Megaman X collection uses the same controll scheme as the first Megaman collection so it works great for that too..

Only I wish they had some more black ones... I don't want an indigo one.. :(

[quote name='Snake2715']I am guessing that at $20 the classic controller is just worth it.[/QUOTE]

Probably, but the classic controller won't play games on the Game Boy Player.

I agree, I'll just eventually get classic controllers being that I don't have a gameboy player.Hopefully Buy.com keeps the $10 off $30 promotion. 2 classic controllers for $30 would be nice.

Mine shipped already. Then again, I ordered early Monday morning before this was posted. I was going to share, but I got side-tracked. Glad you gamers found it.

A few more games that can be used with the Hori pad, taken from:
http://www.nintendospin.com/article975.html

Resident Evil 4
Surprisingly, one of the GameCube's best titles is playable with the Hori pad. RE4 uses the c-stick for camera adjustments and the sniper rifle. The latter is definitely important, but it's only necessary in certain sequences, so the game can be played in huge chunks with the Hori pad. In fact, the d-pad and the button layout are actually well-fitted to this action game. Aiming was still easy, though not as precise as aiming with the analog stick. The Hori pad can also be used to play the other Resident Evil titles on GCN, with the exception of Resident Evil 0, which requires the c-stick to control your partner. Capcom's Resident Evil franchise is easily the best choice for using the Hori pad.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
This game works surprisingly well with the Hori pad. The game uses the c-stick in certain situations with your back to the wall, but it's not necessary and this game is completely playable with the Hori pad. As a matter of fact, playing Twin Snakes with the Hori pad felt very natural, and Snake's actions were all easily executed and very responsive.

Need for Speed Underground
The Need for Speed game uses the c-stick for looking back. The game can be controlled with the d-pad, and the Hori controller's larger digital pad actually controls the cars very nicely, though again it's not as precise as an analog stick. Still, with the sensitivity with which the analog responds in the game, some may actually prefer to play with the d-pad.

Some other games that can be played with the Hori pad (though with slightly limited functionality) include Madden and the Phantasy Star Online games.

I love the Controller for GB/GBA game

But the D-pad Clicks...not like the SNES pad, When I try to selete something..it double taps it..I

[quote name='MarioMania']I love the Controller for GB/GBA game

But the D-pad Clicks...not like the SNES pad, When I try to selete something..it double taps it..I[/quote]

none of mine exhibit this. in fact, i A-B'd it with a couple SNES pads in terms of feel and responsiveness, and found them very similar.

BUMP!

Got mine and finally got to test it today with Capcom Vs. Snk 2.

works great! Initially, the weird button set up was throwing me off, since I've played 2-D fighters exclusively with the PS2 for years, but I adjusted quickly.

The d-pad is awesome though. Can't wait to use this when I pick up Ikaruga this weekend.

BUY THIS PAD!

Just checked to see if this was still valid and it is. Bumping it up now that the Wii is out and osme people may have renewed use for it with the Virtual Console, etc.

Saw the Pelican "Retro" version of this controller at Gamestop for $7.99.
Is it a good enough controller for the Gameboy Player, seeing how I can't buy the Hori one online?

bread's done
Back