Gamecube component cables

nwaugh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Does anybody know of a decent place to find them other than ebay? The $50-$70 prices I've seen at most retail sites seem to be an argument for the Wii. Also, are the Madcatz ones decent?

[quote name='nasum']If component isn't available, how much better will the S-Video quality be on a 42" HDTV?[/quote]
If you are talking about the improvement from Composite to S-Video, then there is a noticeable improvement. The image will be sharper and there will be a lot less color bleeding.

With Component, the difference in 480p games is even greater. Since the image is no longer interlaced, you'll notice an even greater improvement in the picture. It's like a fog is lifted from the screen.

I also need a set of these on the cheap. A guy cannot afford $70+ for these on ebay. Any help apreciated.Would be glad to trade a brand new WII set for the Gamecube ones. I will go buyyou a brand new in box set of WII cables as I can actually purchase these locally. Please and thankyou.

unix888 at verizon.net is my email address.

One of these days maybe I can afford a WII too!! Until then Zelda TP on Gamecube is all I got!

I also have a GC Action Replay I could trade for it. Don't those work on everybodys new Wiis??

It would have been nice to see an adapter that let you use the Wii Component cables on the Gamecube, but it looks like it is going to be only S-video for me with the digital port gathering dust. :(

Nintendo certainly were asses about the component cable. I never saw 3rd party versions and it was only available from Nintendo's online store. And now they've been discontinued, so forget about finding them at a B & M store or for a reasonable price. I saw some for sale on my local craigslist a couple of months ago for around $50. I'm afraid that unless you get lucky, ebay is the only place to consistantly find them.

The reason you never saw 3rd party component cables (and the reason the official ones were so expensive from the start) is because, apparently (and someone who knows this stuff better than I can probably explain it better) there's some kind of decoder chipy-thing that is usually in the hardware itself (DVD player, XBox, etc) that, instead of putting in the actual GCN itself (and driving up the price of the GCN), they chose to put it in the cables (thus driving up the price of the cables)... Add that to the fact that (guestimate) 50%+ of GameCubes can't use them, it's not really something 3rd parties wanted to touch.

[quote name='UncleBob']The reason you never saw 3rd party component cables (and the reason the official ones were so expensive from the start) is because, apparently (and someone who knows this stuff better than I can probably explain it better) there's some kind of decoder chipy-thing that is usually in the hardware itself (DVD player, XBox, etc) that, instead of putting in the actual GCN itself (and driving up the price of the GCN), they chose to put it in the cables (thus driving up the price of the cables)... Add that to the fact that (guestimate) 50%+ of GameCubes can't use them, it's not really something 3rd parties wanted to touch.[/quote]

My feeling about the component cabels is that if Nintendo wanted to push them, they would have been available at the stores long before they took out the component output port. If people would have had them to purchase, this feature would have been more widely used and maybe not been dropped. I've said it before, it was like they never really wanted anyone to be able to use the component port.

When did they go up to $60+ on eBay? A few months ago there were a lot for around $40 there. I bought my GC VGA cable (modified component cable) for $40 a few months ago.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']When did they go up to $60+ on eBay? A few months ago there were a lot for around $40 there. I bought my GC VGA cable (modified component cable) for $40 a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

They are averaging about $60 right now. $50 would be a great deal. I've been watching these for months, and ever since they disappeared from the nintendo site, $40 would have been the absolute lowest price you could swing on ebay.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']When did they go up to $60+ on eBay? A few months ago there were a lot for around $40 there. I bought my GC VGA cable (modified component cable) for $40 a few months ago.[/QUOTE]
Believe it or not, they were up to over $100 on ebay almost a year ago. For cables, that is rediculous.

They removed the digital video port to save costs back in 2004. That's why you can't find it:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/nintendogamecube/component_faq.jsp

Even if you could find the cable at a reasonable cost, if you don't have the port it's money down the drain.

To tell the difference. The GameCubes with the digital port (and component out) have 2 video ports on the back (along with the power port, of course). If you only see the power port and a single video port you're currently using then you've got a newer GameCube and you have nowhere to plug the component cable into.

I hope this helps.

[quote name='mogamer']My feeling about the component cabels is that if Nintendo wanted to push them, they would have been available at the stores long before they took out the component output port. If people would have had them to purchase, this feature would have been more widely used and maybe not been dropped. I've said it before, it was like they never really wanted anyone to be able to use the component port.[/quote]

There was no reason to push it. In 2006, generous estimates had HDTVs in 20% of homes (more conservative estimates placed it between 10-15 percent). In 2004, I think the number was 8%. In 2001 when the 'cube was released, I'm pretty sure HDTV penetration was at 3-5%. Why flood the market with an expensive product that only 5% of your target market CAN use (much less WILL use)?

It was a good business decision... even at the end of the console's life, 4 of every 5 people didn't have HDTV.

Now, was no 720/1080 support for the Wii a good decision? That one's a bit riskier, and time will tell.

Still wishing there was an adapter that allowed the Wii component cable to be used on Gamecubes that had the extra port!

Maybe even a third party adapter or even one with the simple input holes, so you could use generic component cables like the ones for dvd players. :(

I honestly can't justify the purchase of an S-vid cable. There's a minor improvement in sharpness, color, and saturation but the difference is minuscule at best.

There's this guy who sells generic component cables on eBay that works with all 3 last gen systems. I have a pair of those and they work just as good as my official ones, minus the occasional Vsync error.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Still wishing there was an adapter that allowed the Wii component cable to be used on Gamecubes that had the extra port!

Maybe even a third party adapter or even one with the simple input holes, so you could use generic component cables like the ones for dvd players. :([/quote]

Has anyone tried this? The Nintendo website says it won't work but that could just mean that it won't work with the -current- A/V port (the one that's been around since the SNES that's on the back of the GameCube). I tend to think that it may work with the GameCubes that have the Digital Video Port on the back. This is just based on the fact that Nintendo kept the same A/B port/cables for their systems from SNES -> GameCube.

Yeah can someone post a pic comparing the Wii Component cable with the GCN Component cable?

I can't tell the difference on Nintendo's site besides the Wii version having audio cable ends.

Comb all the gamestops and eb games. People are trading in their gamecubes and they are reselling the component cables for 4.99 each.

I picked up a set last month for $4.99.

Thanks, Brad Bishop! I was leaning towards a comparison of the Wii component cable and the GCN component cable, but that's a start. Now all I need a pic. of Wii cable close-up! :)

Looks like the connector is physically different:
http://www.wiisworld.com/wii-pictures.html

It's beveled at the short end of the connector.

Too bad.

Looks like we're left to buying older GameCubes we see floating around with the digital video port on the back (oh, I should have mentioned before - it only passes video - I was wrong in my reference to it as a Digital A/V port - you have to plug in the regular A/V cable to get sound) and finding the odd component cable to go along with it.

Problem not solved. The Game Boy Player doesn't work with the Wii and it displays in Progressive Scan when using the Component Cables.

I want a set of these as well, but $50-$70 is way too much. I wish there was a way to check EBGames/GameStop's website for these. :(

Estarland has them for $49.95, Japanese import ones.

I think Play-Asia has them too.

And I may have to check out ebgames and gamestop. I have a set of these and they are great!

[quote name='bmulligan']Comb all the gamestops and eb games. People are trading in their gamecubes and they are reselling the component cables for 4.99 each.

I picked up a set last month for $4.99.[/quote]

He's right about GS/EB. I was at my local EBGames last night and picked up a set for $4.49 (after my Edge discount). A great deal. I'm surprised that they sell them so cheap, considering their game prices follow the market pretty closely.

I'm also looking for gamecube component cables. I'm a traveling SSBM player, and with how many HDTVs I come across, using composite video with them is barely acceptable.

eBay makes me cry.

[quote name='UncleBob']
I want a set of these as well, but $50-$70 is way too much. I wish there was a way to check EBGames/GameStop's website for these. :([/QUOTE]

Have you tried going in store and asking if they can check to see if they have them instock at any stores in the region?

Sorry to ressurect a dead-ish thread, but if you have the compo cable, are there audio connections? All the ones I see on ebay only have the RGB connectors.

[quote name='SilverGriever']Sorry to ressurect a dead-ish thread, but if you have the compo cable, are there audio connections? All the ones I see on ebay only have the RGB connectors.[/QUOTE]
Yeah thats all it is, u use ur standard composite cables for audio, i think.

You keep composite and component plugged in. Component Red/Green/Blue for video and composite white/yellow for audio.

I just traded my cart only copy of Ouendan that I got off here for $20 shipped and $15 for Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Golf Toadstool Tour, and official component cables. I'm pumped.

A fellow smash bros. player took a serious liking to my gamecube controller. I said I wouldn't part with it unless it was a trade for gamecube component cables. He actually went on eBay and bought out a pair for $43.

I guess I can say I got the better end of the deal.

[quote name='RyokoYaksa']A fellow smash bros. player took a serious liking to my gamecube controller. I said I wouldn't part with it unless it was a trade for gamecube component cables. He actually went on eBay and bought out a pair for $43.

I guess I can say I got the better end of the deal.[/quote]

What kind of controller was this that someone would search for a component cable just to be able to trade?

I don't think I'll ever find a set of official nintendo gamecube component cables at this rate. How much do they sell for at Gamestop/EBgames again?

My Gamecube cables came in a couple weeks ago. Sweetness, progressive scan on the Gamecube for games that support 480p and 16:9 is awesome.

His BIN isn't that bad either. At the same time, his ebay name has the word "dog" in it so he's at least partially retarded. On top of that, his feedback isn't stellar.

I think I'll keep trolling EBstop for these.

bread's done
Back