PS3 Impressions/General Questions Thread

Grave_Addiction

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
For the CAGs who just picked up their PS3s, what do you think of the system so far? How well does the system seem to be made? How good are the games?

*crickets chirping*

I'm guessing most people's impression is that their ebay auctions are going quite swimmingly.

As I'm looking around the web, I'm noticing that there aren't many impressions to be found. All of the attention so far as either been on ebay or the launch lines and incidents. I haven't heard much (if anything at all) on getting the actual console home and playing it.

[quote name='D. Monic']*crickets chirping*

I'm guessing most people's impression is that their ebay auctions are going quite swimmingly.[/quote]
True.

Does anyone actually know any real life, true gamers/people that have the console?

I do know that people made out well for selling the system though and who can blame them. If I had to weather the cold of night sleeping in a fold up chair with nothing but Doritos for days, then I'd want to sell it and make a profit as well.

so far ive heard mostly negative(hdmi issues, need of a firmware update, chugging framerates). on the bright side, resistance: fall of man is supposed to be THE TITLE to get for the ps3. ive heard nothing but good things about it and it looks amazing.

Unlike some other people I'm not jumping on the bandwagon of hate and jealousy.

I like it but what else can be said about it? They showed the menu system, they showed the launch game reviews and so on. Meh it's ok for now, like most system the games aren't AA titles yet and the library is small. I'd have to really spend some time with the unit and the games to give a good honest review. So far not bad for the price of admission. More updates as they come.

[quote name='thagoat']so far ive heard mostly negative(hdmi issues, need of a firmware update, chugging framerates). on the bright side, resistance: fall of man is supposed to be THE TITLE to get for the ps3. ive heard nothing but good things about it and it looks amazing.[/quote]

My favorite bit of information, gamewise, is the fact that Call of Duty 3 is missing features on PS3, has terrible framerate, can hardly handle one player online, etc. :rofl: Both the Wii and 360 version - to use gamer lexicon - own it, which I own the 360 version and will own it on wii soon.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Unlike some other people I'm not jumping on the bandwagon of hate and jealousy.

I like it but what else can be said about it? They showed the menu system, they showed the launch game reviews and so on. Meh it's ok for now, like most system the games aren't AA titles yet and the library is small. I'd have to really spend some time with the unit and the games to give a good honest review. So far not bad for the price of admission. More updates as they come.[/quote]

Not bad for the price of admission....:rofl: good one. You know you can get your CAG title revoked for saying something like that.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']My favorite bit of information, gamewise, is the fact that Call of Duty 3 is missing features on PS3, has terrible framerate, can hardly handle one player online, etc. :rofl: Both the Wii and 360 version - to use gamer lexicon - own it, which I own the 360 version and will own it on wii soon.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Man, the PS3 is SO CUTTING EDGE!!!

Like I posted in that "Keep club thread" That everyones PS3 would freeze, well there is a person, one of the two lol, who talked about their PS3 experience and said it "held up" on them 3 times already.

Has there ever been a clear picture on their online plans? I just know about Resistance's huge MP, but as far as a service, I haven't read much else. The damn thing's out already for fuck's sake.

[quote name='kell']Anbody watch a Blu-Ray yet? I am interested to hear if there is a noticeable difference from a DVD.[/quote]

Regular Blu-Ray discs played on a Blu-Ray player on an HDTV come out fuzzy is all that I've noticed.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Has there ever been a clear picture on their online plans? I just know about Resistance's huge MP, but as far as a service, I haven't read much else. The damn thing's out already for fuck's sake.[/quote]

There online plans are pretty much the same as they were this gen. Just go right at it without much of a plan or real system in place.

well my 60g got bumped down to the 20g (thanks gamestop) so now I'm off to frys for an HDMI cable then sit down for some resistance and maybe browse cheapassgamer boards from the comfort of my couch .... and update my impression.....

I fucking love it. Though I had a nice scare this morning when I plugged it in and got no picture/sound. When I first plugged mine in, it displayed no video and I started to panic, but I plugged it into the back (where my PS2 was plugged in) instead of the front (where my Xbox was plugged in), turned my DVD/VCR combo (which it is hooked up to) on and off and then it displayed. I've seen some sites posting that people's PS3's came DOA, but I'm thinking it's the same problem I had.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']My favorite bit of information, gamewise, is the fact that Call of Duty 3 is missing features on PS3, has terrible framerate, can hardly handle one player online, etc. :rofl: Both the Wii and 360 version - to use gamer lexicon - own it, which I own the 360 version and will own it on wii soon.[/QUOTE]
Actually the Wii version of COD3 is the one missing features...(no online, no offline muliplayer, shitty graphics, etc etc).

Anyways, my impressions so far are that, the system looks awesome by itself. So far, I'm wishing they didn't make the L2/R2 buttons more trigger like since I liked them the way they were before better. I downloaded the firmware update so I could play online and that took all of 20mins to download and install. The menu system is nice, but its almost the same as the PSP's. The Sony store is ok, its nice there are free things on it, and the web browser works pretty well. The only PS3 game I've played on it is Resistance, and I'm liking it so far, it has the Call of Duty feel, except you get some cool weapons to use. I played DMC3 on it and it worked without a problem. I'm planning on picking up Genji sometime soon hopefully and next month I'll be getting Sonic as long as it doesnt completely suck.

[quote name='BADAIM']well my 60g got bumped down to the 20g (thanks gamestop) so now I'm off to frys for an HDMI cable then sit down for some resistance and maybe browse cheapassgamer boards from the comfort of my couch .... and update my impression.....[/QUOTE]

Do your self a favor and go to monoprice.com and get a HDMI 10ft cable for $6 took 2 days to get to my house. Good stuff and alot of people here order from them.

the one thing i want to know is if people miss having the rumble function in their ps3 controller and does the new motion function more than make up for the lack of rumble or even surpass it? i still cant believe sony wouldnt just pay the money to keep the rumble. i still remember the psycho mantis trick from mgs and how amazing that was rumble in a controller is such a key bonus to gaming whether its from using a weapon in a game or slamming an opponent to the ground the rumble adds alot.

[quote name='TimPV3']I fucking love it. Though I had a nice scare this morning when I plugged it in and got no picture/sound. When I first plugged mine in, it displayed no video and I started to panic, but I plugged it into the back (where my PS2 was plugged in) instead of the front (where my Xbox was plugged in), turned my DVD/VCR combo (which it is hooked up to) on and off and then it displayed. I've seen some sites posting that people's PS3's came DOA, but I'm thinking it's the same problem I had.[/quote]

what resolution are you running? an yuo are running it through a dvd/vcr player?

I am noticing the rumble gone when I play Resistance. Most of the time I'm expecting the controller to rumble when I start shooting, but nothing happens. Rumble was nice, but I'm sure I'll get used to it not being there...eventually...

So far I am liking the system but I can't post a real opinion til I can see it in hd. Why sony didn't pack in a combo av/component cable like x360 does is beyond me. Resistance is pretty solid so far but I'm a fan of most of Insomniac's work to date.

As an investment, the system definitely seems to be a better choice than the 360. I love the look of the thing and Resistance is pretty damned sweet. I just think people need a little more time to get the full power out of the system, but overall I seem to prefer it to the 360 I used to have and eventually sold.

kinda pissed that a system that touts its HD-ness so much doesnt even come with a HDMI or component cables. Was hoping to have some HD fun out of the box, but it looks like I gotta order an HDMI cable now....

[quote name='D. Monic']*crickets chirping*

I'm guessing most people's impression is that their ebay auctions are going quite swimmingly.[/quote]

Nobody's even looked at my auction yet. With 17000+ for sale, it will be listed and buried so fast, I'll have to wait days to get it spotted. Oh well, its no more than I deserve.

TBW

Anyone know if its possible to quit a game and get to the PS3 menu without having to shut off the system?

Also, when I download a demo can I play a game while it's downloading or do I have to wait?

[quote name='whoknows']Actually the Wii version of COD3 is the one missing features...(no online, no offline muliplayer, shitty graphics, etc etc).

[/quote]

You're forgetting one thing, the Wii version of CoD3 is not the one supposed to be competing against the 360 version. The PS3 should be able to man handle CoD3 easy as Sony would lead you to believe. But framerate issues, choppiness, etc. and as the article indicated, the 360 version allows for a multitude of 4 players on one console to play online at one time without issue.

Still, the graphics of CoD3 are not that big of a deal on the Wii, though the lack of inclusion of such necessary features such as offline or online multiplayer is a bit disheartening. That would have been incredible. Trust me on this one, I'm a huge CoD fan.

[quote name='whoknows']I am noticing the rumble gone when I play Resistance. Most of the time I'm expecting the controller to rumble when I start shooting, but nothing happens. Rumble was nice, but I'm sure I'll get used to it not being there...eventually...[/quote]

I went back to my old Playstatone with the controller pre rumble, and you don't ever really get used to it. It just feels awkward.

[quote name='whoknows']Anyone know if its possible to quit a game and get to the PS3 menu without having to shut off the system?

Also, when I download a demo can I play a game while it's downloading or do I have to wait?[/quote]
PlayStation button? That's one of the functions I heard it could do.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']PlayStation button? That's one of the functions I heard it could do.[/QUOTE]
It doesn't seem to do anything at all when I press it...the only time it does something is when I have to push it when I turn on the system.

I guess I'll quit being lazy and go read the instructions

Man, part of me is screaming "I want a PS3 so bad! ARGH!" but the other, sensible part is saying "Dude. Its $600 and impossible to find. That's $600 worth of Wii/DS/PS2/360 games you need to buy!"

Gah. Here's hoping I can get one for my birthday in April.

To anyone who actually bought the system to PLAY it - enjoy!!

Friend of mine who braved the weather, mall security and sheer boredom for a few days got one, only got to play Gundam and I gotta say far from impressed. At first I thought those hiccups were just the animation of the robots but no those were framerate issues. I did watch him play Resistance though and it looks great, very chaotic . I'm shocked I don't see more threads mentioning the system is the size of a buick, really standing by the 360 it was actually bigger, funny how the roles have changed.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Massive damage to your reputation[/QUOTE]

NO, he equipped anti suck-ass game chainmail at the beginning of this round.

*casts Best.Thread.EVAR spell and runs away*

[quote name='whoknows']I am noticing the rumble gone when I play Resistance. Most of the time I'm expecting the controller to rumble when I start shooting, but nothing happens. Rumble was nice, but I'm sure I'll get used to it not being there...eventually...[/QUOTE]

Meh, I've always thought that it was a gimmick. I still do. Whenever one of my controllers vibrates, it takes my attention away from the game towards the the controller. And I have yet to see a single game put it to good use.

"Ooh, I just got shot"

bzzzt

Big deal. I'd prefer it that they not even include it and lower the cost of the controller. And as for the Wiimote's built-in speaker, I'm expecting the same thing.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']My favorite bit of information, gamewise, is the fact that Call of Duty 3 is missing features on PS3, has terrible framerate, can hardly handle one player online, etc. :rofl: Both the Wii and 360 version - to use gamer lexicon - own it, which I own the 360 version and will own it on wii soon.[/quote]
What's missing besides same-console multiplayer? The 360 version doesn't even run at 720p along with other Activision next-gen games. The Wii version doesn't have much of anything besides singleplayer. Then again, who knew that Call of Duty 3 was the killer-app of the next-gen, not whatever game everyone else thinks it is.

When did you turn into a huge 360 fanboy?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What's missing besides same-console multiplayer? The 360 version doesn't even run at 720p along with other Activision next-gen games. The Wii version doesn't have much of anything besides singleplayer. Then again, who knew that Call of Duty 3 was the killer-app of the next-gen, not whatever game everyone else thinks it is.

When did you turn into a huge 360 fanboy?[/QUOTE]

cod3 looks awesome on my 360

no framerate issues

Ok, I have been playing Resistance online and I must say it is FANTASTIC. Even on my crappy 256kb/s DSL connection I experienced NO LAG whatsoever. Impressive to say the least.

[quote name='whoknows']

Also, when I download a demo can I play a game while it's downloading or do I have to wait?[/quote]

no background downloading atm...maybe later

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What's missing besides same-console multiplayer? The 360 version doesn't even run at 720p along with other Activision next-gen games. The Wii version doesn't have much of anything besides singleplayer. Then again, who knew that Call of Duty 3 was the killer-app of the next-gen, not whatever game everyone else thinks it is.

When did you turn into a huge 360 fanboy?[/quote]

The moment I bought one for not an outrageous back stabbing price of $600. That said, other than the Wii missing multiplayer I think it is complete all around. The game looks incredible on my HDTV. The Wii version has a lot more than just single player and that is the fact it is on the Wii. Everybody continues to discredit the importance of the Wii's controls. Call of Duty is IMO one of the killer-apps of this gen now.

And when did you become such a PS3 fanboy?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']

And when did you become such a PS3 fanboy?[/quote]
he's been one for some time now if i remember correctly...kinda like the linkin prime of the ps3 forums

[quote name='gaelan']he's been one for some time now if i remember correctly...kinda like the linkin prime of the ps3 forums[/QUOTE]

I never saw Linkin prime as a fanboy.

So after a few more hours of hands on with my new toy I have this to say.

Signing up for a online Account was kinda a hassle

Updating the system was also kinda a hassle(I just got a new toy LETS PLAY ALREADY)

R:FOMs graphics didn't look as good as they did in some of the videos which is kinda understandable but still a let down. The game is "fun" so far.

The web browser acted kinds of weird

Not being able to download a demo and do other stuff at the same time is lame. They obviously saw the 360 fix this problem so why didn't they avoid this mistake off the bat?

My PS3 dosn't greet me by name which is the biggest let down of all.

bread's done
Back