CAG Overnight Price Change Index now in "beta"

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Clearly, there is still work to be done, but I figured that CAGs might as well make use of it since it is functional.

Its currently located at www.cheapassgamer.com/videogames.html

It is tracking overnight price changes from the following retailers:

Best Buy
Buy.com
Circuit City
Computers4Sure
CompUSA
EBgames (new and used)
Gamestop (new and used)
Gamefly (used games only)
J&R
Kbtoys
Kmart
Overstock

The feed is updated daily, early in the morning.
Currently, it is showing price drops first (indicated by the green arrow), new products added to the datafeed second, and price increases last (indicated by the red arrow).

There will be additional features and improvements in the near future.

Enjoy!

CheapyD - you RULE. :D That is an amazing idea and if it is updated daily it will be quite useful. I already spend more time here than actually playing video games... :shock:

That rocks, Cheapy. I just wanted to point out to everyone that the prices listed for used games at EBGames.com are pre-code, so if one hasn't used up the AFF25 yet, they will be even cheaper.

I was actually gonna suggest this, but I figured it would be a ton of work and forgot about it. Looks neat.

Very awesome Cheapy, I feel so professional now. It's like checking the stocks in the morning. This site gets better by the day, where's my CAG tshirt!?

Question, would it be possible to make a Pre-Played filter?

Great stuff. Now if I you could just set something up to automatically buy games for us so we wouldn't miss out on deals! I keed. I keed.

[quote name='evilmax17']
Question, would it be possible to make a Pre-Played filter?[/quote]

Yes, that is planned.

I see the price drops and retailers, but I don't see the names of the games that dropped in price. Will those be there in the future?

[quote name='Drakken']I see the price drops and retailers, but I don't see the names of the games that dropped in price. Will those be there in the future?[/quote]

You are probably using some kind of ad blocker which is preventing the links from appearing on your PC.

You probably don't see the "Cheap ass links" and most of the photos on the front page too, right?

Excellent job! This site gets better everyday! Couple of suggestions for improvements:
1) Being able to sort by name, price drop, or sale price.
2) Maybe the ability to put some of the games that you really want to buy on a "hotlist" so that only those games show up.
3) Ability to sort by PC Games, GC, PS2, Xbox, etc.
4) Does the list include coupon codes/rebates, etc?
5) Can it show if it is sold out or not?
I understand that some of these suggestions may be out of your control, but they're just suggestions. Keep up the good work!

i dont get any links (except a few), and i didnt get any links for president day sale. i disabled my ad blocker, and still dont get anything. im tried with msn and ie. any idea why this is happeneing? could it just be that my computers a spaz?

[quote name='Scrubking']Now can someone tell me what the "change" column means?[/quote]

Cheapy, correct me if I'm wrong...

That's the difference from the previous read. (It only reads once per day.) So a green down arrow with $5.00, means the game dropped 5 bucks since the previous read. If it's a red up arrow, that game went up in price since last read. If there's no change, that means it's a new game for the tracker to follow.

This Price Change Index is one of the greatest things that will be happening to this site. Looks great so far, excellent work.

Osh Kosh B'iotch said:
Oh, my suggestions for names are:

- Cheap Ass Tracker
- Cagmatic
- CAGbot
- Cheapy-Makes-Me-Spend-Too-Much-Damn-Money 2000

I like 3 and 4, but especially 4. :D

How about naming it "game ticker" as in stock ticker..since its a daily price changer...

the way it seems to me is like a stock ticker so some good names would be

game ticker
cag ticker
game price ticker

or something similar...

you may also want a unique name and look into possible patents since I personally cant think of any price search engine that show price changes from one time period to the next

ask the fiance about this...and Cheapy...dont be taken and protect what is yours..do not let other imitate you if you can help it

What if we could set up specific search criteria (let's say in our profiles) so that each time we access the price change page it will only show what we've pre-configured. Is that too complex?

[quote name='Red Rocket']Can you make the columns sortable? Say I'm interested in only one title. I could sort by name and look for it, etc.[/quote]

Or you could click on your browser, "Edit"-"Find(om this Page)" and type in the title you wanted.

WOW! great job, this site keeps getting better and better. one suggestion: having personal 'watch' list might be cool, for games ur waiting on the price to go down.

[quote name='Pinnacle']You need to include tracking of Target, Toys R us, possibly Sam Goody, and more.[/quote]

I disagree. Target (online) and Sam Goody (possible FF:CC notwithstanding) are unlikely to have good deals, and TRU is questionable (aside from the coupon code deals). I think it would just add to the clutter (unless we get the option to include/exclude stores at our individual discretion).

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='Pinnacle']You need to include tracking of Target, Toys R us, possibly Sam Goody, and more.[/quote]

I disagree. Target (online) and Sam Goody (possible FF:CC notwithstanding) are unlikely to have good deals, and TRU is questionable (aside from the coupon code deals). I think it would just add to the clutter (unless we get the option to include/exclude stores at our individual discretion).[/quote]

They have good deals from time to time- just as frequently as Kmart and Kaybee (if not more) which are on the list.

Cheaptos
Cheaparino
Optimus Cheap
Cheaptobots
Optimus Price
Where have all the monies gone? (yes monies)
Honey I shrunk the monies.
Omg It's godcheapa!

[quote name='cdneng2']Excellent job! This site gets better everyday! Couple of suggestions for improvements:
1) Being able to sort by name, price drop, or sale price.
2) Maybe the ability to put some of the games that you really want to buy on a "hotlist" so that only those games show up.
3) Ability to sort by PC Games, GC, PS2, Xbox, etc.
4) Does the list include coupon codes/rebates, etc?
5) Can it show if it is sold out or not?
I understand that some of these suggestions may be out of your control, but they're just suggestions. Keep up the good work![/quote]

Yes i think these would be great!!

I gotta know how you did this. Do you get an XML feed from the retailers or something? Do you store the current price and compare it with the overnight price? And do you specifiy which games to look up?

This is really cool. Kudos for a great job on the site.

Jeremy

[quote name='Anonymous']I gotta know how you did this. Do you get an XML feed from the retailers or something? Do you store the current price and compare it with the overnight price? And do you specifiy which games to look up?

Jeremy[/quote]

That was me, I wasn't logged in...you should change it so that only registered users can post on the forums. Kinda filters out the garbage.

Jeremy (again) :oops:

Didnt read all the posts so dont know if anyone posted this, you should be able to get the list in different orders, like by console, price lowest to highest etc, just a suggestion. :)

how are you supposed to use it? I see system and and change in price and all that, but i dunno what the game or system is dropping in price.

I'm a noob, and just wanted to know how to use this thing.
Is the title section supposed to be blank? And do you just go to the website, or are you supposed to be able to click on a link.

[quote name='jrutz'][quote name='Anonymous']I gotta know how you did this. Do you get an XML feed from the retailers or something? Do you store the current price and compare it with the overnight price? And do you specifiy which games to look up?

Jeremy[/quote]

That was me, I wasn't logged in...you should change it so that only registered users can post on the forums. Kinda filters out the garbage.

Jeremy (again) :oops:[/quote]

Something like that.
We don't specify what games to look up. Items that are displayed had a price change or are new to the feed.

This is the only forum in which a non-registered user can post (and read).

[quote name='jsohng']I'm a noob, and just wanted to know how to use this thing.
Is the title section supposed to be blank? And do you just go to the website, or are you supposed to be able to click on a link.[/quote]

links not working

Wow, new things keep popping up at the site lately. I really like the changes. Thanks Cheapy and the technical advisors. (I know one of them is Defender, but I can't remember who the other one is.)

bread's done
Back