Democrats use draft rumor to scare young people to vote for Kerry

Scrubking

CAGiversary!
"One important story that has flown under the major-media radar is the peddling by Democrats of the claim that the Bush administration has a secret plan to re-institute the military draft. That rumor is being spread to try to scare young voters into supporting John Kerry.

The Democrats' draft-rumor effort has now gone mainstream; the South Carolina Democratic Party has sent out a mailing that claims young voters are faced with induction if they don't vote for John Kerry:
The first page of the mailing shows a draft notice with orders to report to a military induction center. The next shows a helicopter with troops in the foreground beneath a headline that says "Officials in Washington are calling for more troops in Iraq." Below, the mailing asks "Which form would you rather fill out?"

It is hard to think of a more despicable campaign tactic. It hardly needs to be said that neither the Bush administration nor any other foreseeable administration has the slightest desire to re-institute the draft. The thought sends shudders down the spines of professional military men; America's all-volunteer army is without a doubt the best military force ever assembled. No one I know of supports the draft, except for Fritz Hollings, the Democratic Senator from--ironically enough--South Carolina. He introduced a bill to that effect. Not only did the Hollings proposal go nowhere; he couldn't even find a co-sponsor.

Democrats sometimes get upset when we say that they prey on ignorance. But this contemptible tactic is a perfect example of what we mean."

- Frontpagemag.com

Charlie Rangle, a dem from NY has been on the draft reinstitution issue since the Iraq thing started. Another way for the left to muster up unrest. Some call it scare tactics, I call it stupid.

Mailing notices? Now THAT's pretty slimy.

Ohh scare tactics like terror alerts with no real basis. Like right after the Democratic Convention. Using fear to hide wrong doings is even more slimy

Your source is FOX NEWS.

bug_sml_fair_balanced.jpg

Also on FOX NEWS (fair and balanced)
bc04_unprincipled.gif

There has been rumours for awhile now that the draft would start back up. They gave the select service millions of dollars more to plan for a draft. The rumour date that the draft plan would come out is April 2005.

Young people who think for themselves are going to vote for Kerry anyways, that's how young people are.

I don't care about the draft because the only benifit about living in a dumbass country that it's free or equal is that I can't be drafted. :D

I know somebody who was hired to the draft board, they are on standby.

And there is something floating around in congress called the "Patriot Corp"

Its the same thing as the selective service (with the same loopholes for the rich) only with a more 'patriotic' name, because 'draft' sounds bad.

Its probably not a big threat but I am worried because the people who choose the draftees were put on standby.

No sources, no names, don't ask.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Your source is FOX NEWS.

bug_sml_fair_balanced.jpg

Also on FOX NEWS (fair and balanced)
bc04_unprincipled.gif
[/quote]

What is your point? That we shouldn't trust Fox cause they lean conservative? So then we shouldn't trust CNN either cuase they lean liberal, right?

Stop being a tool and realize that there is no such thing as unbiased big media - they all lean one way or another (mostly liberal), so your argument is beyond stupid.

Or because they dared to take an ad from Bush-cheney '04?
I know I've seen Kerry ads on MSNBC.com, so does that inherently mean they are either Kerry shills or totally untrustworthy? Same with ABC...CBS...NBC...Fox...WB....

you might as well save it dtcarson, you can't argue with a liberal. They defy logic. All conservatives are 'right-wing nut jobs' who use slime machines instead of truth. The trouble for liberals is that they only know what the truth is when tomorrow's opinion polls are published and their leaders agree.

I rather watch Fox News than CNN.

Fox news has both sides of issues a lot, Sheppard Smith is a great news reader and gives both sides, so does Hannity and Colmes.

I also watch MSNBC to get make sure I get more than one view. CNN is etreme leftest bullshit and I refuse to watch that trash.

Countdown on MSNBC is the best news show.

Wolf Blitzer is total right wing hardcore and you know it!

Also, CNN ran stories that supported Bush when he said there were WMDs in Iran.

Wow one story that isn't supportive of Bush but the intellegece.

Great example there!!!! *rolls eyes*

Quack you are just as left as Pad is right and that sickens me.

[quote name='mingglf']Bush adminstration already did the backdoor draft, and that's only because it's an election year *wink wink*[/quote]

If this mythical "backdoor draft" you're talking about is the small IRR call-ups recently, you're dead wrong. That was no draft at all. I suggest you get informed on the issue instead of making ignorant statements.

[quote name='David85']I rather watch Fox News than CNN.

Fox news has both sides of issues a lot, Sheppard Smith is a great news reader and gives both sides, so does Hannity and Colmes.

I also watch MSNBC to get make sure I get more than one view. CNN is etreme leftest bullshit and I refuse to watch that trash.

Countdown on MSNBC is the best news show.[/quote]

I've never seen Countdown, but I agree: Fox and MSNBC are much better than CNN. Hannity & Colmes is a great show, I find myself agreeing with both of them depending on the issue. Remember, CNN is the network that was bribed by Saddam Hussein with access to not criticize his murderous regime as much. After that came out I lost all respect for them.

[quote name='elprincipe'][quote name='mingglf']Bush adminstration already did the backdoor draft, and that's only because it's an election year *wink wink*[/quote]

If this mythical "backdoor draft" you're talking about is the small IRR call-ups recently, you're dead wrong. That was no draft at all. I suggest you get informed on the issue instead of making ignorant statements.[/quote]

So a thousand call-ups plus involuntary extension to current troops is small? The so called "stop-loss" plan uses one of the fine print in the contract that majority of the enlisted doesn't even know about; hence the term "backdoor draft" is used. Maybe you should get informed before posting arrogant and ignorant statements.

[quote name='mingglf'][quote name='elprincipe'][quote name='mingglf']Bush adminstration already did the backdoor draft, and that's only because it's an election year *wink wink*[/quote]

If this mythical "backdoor draft" you're talking about is the small IRR call-ups recently, you're dead wrong. That was no draft at all. I suggest you get informed on the issue instead of making ignorant statements.[/quote]

So a thousand call-ups plus involuntary extension to current troops is small? The so called "stop-loss" plan uses one of the fine print in the contract that majority of the enlisted doesn't even know about; hence the term "backdoor draft" is used. Maybe you should get informed before posting arrogant and ignorant statements.[/quote]

All the people who were called up signed contracts that they would be available for call up for an additional period beyond their initial duty. They SIGNED CONTRACTS, meaning they agreed to this well before they were called up for duty. So don't try to make it seem like they are involuntarily being called to duty because they already agreed to it. If they didn't know about it that was their fault; you shouldn't sign contracts without knowing what you're signing. Maybe you should actually find out what the real situation is.

And by small I meant the few thousand IRR call-ups recently compared to the millions of people in the reserves.

Umm... You have to sign comtracts when you join, and part of it when they joined years ago was that they could be called up again. They don't all want to go through so that would be a draft.

[quote name='David85']Umm... You have to sign comtracts when you join, and part of it when they joined years ago was that they could be called up again. They don't all want to go through so that would be a draft.[/quote]

No, when you sign a contract you agree to do something. The people who were called up signed contracts in which said individuals agreed to be available for call-up for a certain period of time after their initial tour of duty. Therefore, they already agreed to be called up during that subsequent period. So there is no "backdoor draft", just call-ups of people who have already agreed and are obligated to be availiable for call-up.

Now you all may think this is bad to call these people up or a mistake or a stupid policy or whatever, and that opinion has some arguments that can be made for it. However, it is certainly not the same as an involuntary draft, and that is a fact.

bread's done
Back