SW Battlefront DEMO impressions (PS2)

Scrubking

CAGiversary!
I have to say that after a few videos I was excited to get a demo of the game. The game looks good, and how can any star wars fan pass up a game like this anyway?

Well I played the demo offered up by OPM and I have to say that I am not impressed at all. The game plays horribly, and I can only hope that the game gets seriously cleaned up before release.

My major beef is with the controls. I doubt this will be a problem on the PC, but console gamers need to watch out. The controls are beyond sluggish. Making a 180* turn take about 5 seconds so you can imagine what moving around the huge map was like. Aiming is equally sluggish and for some reasons the weapons can't seem to fire at a decent rate.

The fighting seemed detached and hectic as you run around shooting at specs of enemies cause usually when they get close to you, you die. Also it is not uncommon to get caught in "the crossfire from nowhere" and find yourself respawning. You can be running around practically alone only to suddenly get caught in a crossfire and get killed - usually by your own side. The AI seems retarded as your own troops don't bother to try to shoot around you, so if you are in their way too bad.

Also the two vehicles I previewed sucked. The speeder should have been renamed the slower and the AT-ST is practically useless since its rate of fire is nill - 2 shots every 10 seconds or so.

I really hope I got an old version demo cause it's not looking too good.

Damn, I was hoping this game would be pretty good in spite of the Star Wars in the title. I'll definitely check the reviews and word of mouth before i get it now. (Drat now i may have to find something else to tide me over until Halo 2.)

I agree with the OP as well. It is incredibly hard to play with controls as they are now. It is fun chasing the AT-STs though.

yeah, but alon time ago i remember playing airblade demo and it sucked major ass because of the controlls and the speed of the game. Well i gave the game a shot and bought it and it was so much better then the demo potrayed it to be. Never know. Im still a socomer so the only game dragging me away that i know im getting is monster hunter.

Could anyone tell me how the environment feels, I'm sure they will do some work on the controls I'm curious if it actually feels like a star wars game or more like star wars units dumped onto a bf 1942 map.

PSM gave this thing a 8 out of 10..... not too shabby.... i will prob pick this up for xbox live when it come out

Yes, but keep in mind PSM gives almost everything an 8 or above. I played the demo and was very disappointed in the game for mainly the same reasons as stated above. It feels like this game is being rushed to come out the same day as the Star Wars DVD's (Remind anybody of Enter The Matrix?)

OPM gave it an 8/10. Then they went on to describe piloting vehicles as tedious and nearly impossible. If half the value of the game sucks, then how in the hell can you give it an 8 out of 10?

The character models are horrible, movement feels like you're a gigantic robot, and the bots -- well, they move like bots!. I sure hope online play saves this title- 'cause I ain't very impressed with it either.

Man, I almost wish I had an Xbox to see what this game is supposed to look like.

I played this for a while this evening with some friends. We didn't go online, but had a decent time blasting rebel scum. I wouldn't say it's the greatest game, but it's entertaining.

Yes, and it's comparable to the demo in OPM. I don't see much improvement and there are some glaring glitches too. No wonder they didn't allow pre-release reviews of this game.

PLayed more Battlefront tonight and we took it online around 7 p.m. (EST) and the lag was unbelievable. First of all we had trouble actually getting into a game, then once we finally found one we could access, it moved so slowly it was unplayable. Anyone else having trouble with terrible lag?

bread's done
Back