does Xbox360 play SACD format??

TheBigR

CAG Veteran
ok, so i'm a big supported of the SACD format; you know, those "enhanced surround sound 5.1 cds" that have been dual-discing up your CDs for the past few years. i saw a demo of the format a bunch of years ago and have been
buying up all the SACD releases i can, hoping the players get cheaper.

does anyone know if the 360 can play these discs in 5.1? will the HD drive play them? if there's a patch or some other software let me know!

the stand-alone players are in the $300 range, and i cant find a program for my Mac to play SACD out of my computer (i have a recording studio set up)....

Well considering that SACD is a sony media format, i'm gonna hop on the bandwagon of no effing way. That would be awesome though.

No, it does not support SACD.

[quote name='doubledown']Don't you need 5.1 cables for it also? not optical....or was that another HD music type[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you'll need a Multi-channel out panel that consists of at least 6 analog cables (one for every speaker). The PS3 supports SACD and can output the audio through HDMI.

[quote name='zman73']I would also assume no... but I have heard the ps3 DOES SUPPORT IT[/QUOTE]

I'm almost positive it does (the ps3)

[quote name='Sporadic']I don't believe it plays SACDs but I'm pretty sure it can play DVD-Audio[/QUOTE]

on the back of the box it says it plays super audio cd's, i just looked (ps3)

unless you were talking about the 360, in which case sorry for quoting you

Microsoft would be far more likely to go with DVD-A, which is backed by the DVD forum like HD-DVD.

Looking at the Wiki article, it isn't clear that the spec could be implemented in software on the Xbox 360. Since players are out there that handle both SACD and DVD-A for under $100, it would probably be better to go with one of those.

[quote name='jimfoley16']on the back of the box it says it plays super audio cd's, i just looked (ps3)

unless you were talking about the 360, in which case sorry for quoting you[/QUOTE]

I was talking about the 360.

[quote name='Sporadic']I don't believe it plays SACDs but I'm pretty sure it can play DVD-Audio[/QUOTE]
Yes and no. Because the Xbox 360 is also a DVD player it can "play" DVD-audio discs, but not in Hi-resolution. It'll play the discs in Dolby Digital and DTS just like any regular DVD player would. The Xbox 360 would need both the ability to process the Hi-res sound and the necessary multichannel analog/HDMI output in order to play true DVD-audio (or SACD for that matter).

bread's done
Back