I need suggestions on the best laptop...

in the under $1700 range.

i was looking at Dell's Inspiron models, and found some good computers, but the one i really wanted disappeared or something. it was a P4 2800, Microsoft® Windows XP Home, 1 GB DDR SDRAM 400MHz (2 DIMMs), 60 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200 RPM), 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, 15.4 in WSXGA+ Notebook Screen, Dell 1350 internal wireless card, 8X DVD + RW Drive. $1665.

anyway, i don't want the mobile processors, because they're so slow. i was also wondering about the differences between the monitors, like WSXGA+, WXGA, XGA, etc.

thank you very much for your help.

ibuypower is a good choice. Pick up a copy of PC Gamer and just about anybody that advertises in the magazine is a good choice for gamers. I have had an Alienware laptop for about 8 months and love it. Alienware is a bit pricey, but is top of the line. PC Gamer usually scores them in the 90% range. They also like Dell and another brand that I cannot fine right now (Falcon maybe?).
With regard to the monitor....usually the more letters in the name the better it is.
What I usually do when I am buying a new computer is pick which company I want to buy from and pick their second most expensive computer because the most expensive one is usually not that much better than the second most expensive one. It just has the lastest gadgets in it.

Hope this helps.

btw, if i were to get a Dell, does anyone know any coupon codes for the site? $72 fuking dollars is WAY too much for shipping, which is why i'm asking for suggestions in the first place.

check out www.bensbargains.net. A few months ago I picked up a HP zd7000 series laptop which I love. Mostly I just love the freakin huge 17" widescreen display (almost as much screen as my old 19" CRT). The zd7000 series is very much a multimedia notebook, and was PC Magazines editors choice untill recently. I paid $1450 after rebates for mine.

Also look at PC Mag's newest editors choice for the category the Toshiba Satelite P25-S670 whiich has built in video capturing.

But definetely go for the Dimension XPS if you don't have a desire for screen space. www.bensbargains.net usually has good deals posted. CHECK OUT THE DELL REFURBS.

Inspiron Notebooks

10% off $999 Inspiron Notebooks code XPDV3DHQW9D1B7 [Exp 9/2]

15% off $1499 Inspiron Notebooks code Q$J65QK6HL1$3T [Exp 9/2]

[quote name='pimp tyranny']btw, if i were to get a Dell, does anyone know any coupon codes for the site? $72 fuking dollars is WAY too much for shipping, which is why i'm asking for suggestions in the first place.[/quote]

Wait and check Fatwallet every day for coupon codes.

A few weeks ago I was helping a friend buy a laptop from Dell for college. They had some free shipping dealie going on. I got a good set up for $1500. I checked Fatwallet and they had a 20% off coupon. That knocked off a solid $300, along with free shipping.

Just thought I'd post these as I saw them on the Dell site and thought they were worth letting ya'll know about.

Dell Business has the Plextor 12x DVD±RW Drive (item A0334148) for $135 - automatic 20% off - $30 rebate [Exp 10/31] = $78 with free shipping.

Search Dell Business for item A0136207 to find the Pacific Digital 4x DVD+-R/RW Drive for $119 - automatic 20% off - $65 rebate [Exp 8/31] = $30 with free shipping.

bread's done
Back