Politicians Daughters Booed at MTV Awards (Corrected)

PittsburghAfterDark

CAGiversary!
capt.aaa16308300156.mtv_awards_aaa163.jpg

Bambi and Thumper Dumbstruck When Not Received as Conquering Goddesses

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Reaching out to young Americans at MTV's Video Music Awards Sunday night, the daughters of President Bush and his Democratic challenger Sen. John Kerry were met by loud cheers and jeers.

It was unclear exactly whom the cheers and the boos were meant for or why. They began immediately after radio and MTV personality Carson Daly introduced "from New York, Barbara and Jenna Bush and here in Miami, Vanessa and Alexandra Kerry."

The Kerry daughters were at the event at the American Airlines Arena; the Bush daughters appeared in a pre-recorded video.

"My sister and I are thrilled to be here tonight with you all in Florida," said Vanessa Kerry, "and to get this chance to suggest that you get involved in this election and vote -- and hopefully that you vote for our father."

MTV cameras showed some audience members apparently giving the women a standing ovation, but the mixture of boos and cheers continued.

Alexandra Kerry added that millions of young Americans can help determine the November election, "but we appreciate that in our democracy people are free to feel differently about who they vote for."

The Kerry daughters then turned around to watch, along with the MTV audience, the video of the Bush daughters.

"Hey Alexandra and Vanessa, and hey to everyone at the VMAs," said Barbara Bush.

"Jenna and I really wish we could be there, but we're in New York this week to support our dad and, as you might have guessed, we want to suggest that you vote for him in November."

Jenna Bush said, "We can all agree on the importance of voting."

MTV's broadcast turned down sounds of the audience during the playing of the video, but the vocal audience could still be heard.

The Bush twins are 22 years old. Vanessa Kerry is 27; Alexandra turns 31 on Sunday.

The boos seemed to die down and cheers took their place toward the end of the segment, when the Kerry daughters took back the floor and encouraged people to support victims of Hurricane Charley, which devastated portions of Florida earlier this month.

Vanessa Kerry said, "Despite our differences, we all agree this election and this process are important. And we all agree that all of us are part of a greater American family."

Speaking to CNN afterward, Vanessa Kerry said the booing had "scared" her, but added, "We're fighting for something so strongly, I will go up there and hear the whole arena boo if it means connecting with one person."

She also said it was "surreal" to appear at the VMAs, known for having one of the most energetic and responsive crowds of any awards show.

Link

That only proves that you right wing nutjobs are so desperate you take your smear campaigns so far that you attack the politicians families.

Wow, you are so mature, PAD.

I seriously hope you don't have kids, because if you did they would be absolute monsters from growing up around you.

And, of course, this little tidbit came from Mr. "80-percent accuracy" Matt Drudge. I thought you swore off using him as a source, PAD, since he couldn't be trusted to be completely accurate?

Come back when you've got a link to a reputable news source, not a right-wing gossip hound of questionable ethics.

Uh...all you have to do to verify the story is watch the show. Several folks have already uploaded it to personal websites. It ain't rocket surgery.

I've heard of spin, but kee-rist...

I just love the right wing, they will make stories from nothing, literally just make them up, why not, they do it all the time.

Both families were booed, and do you blame them? They both suck, and if I go to some crappie music thing, I want to hear crappie music and not some political daughters say "vote for my daddie".

Well MTV asked them to go there as part of their get out and vote program.

They are just trying to make the candidates appeal to the younger crowd, too bad some hardcore democrat haters had to fuck it up.

What the hell are you talking about Quack?

The younger crowd wants music not these assholes no one cares about.

Amen David85, I agree with you 100%. The mix of entertainment and politics this year is sickening. I think everyone is sick of politics being interjected into things that should be apolitical like the Olympics (Yes, the Bush Olympic ad was pointless pointing out there are 2 new democracies in the the group of competitive nations.) MTV Music Awards etc. I mean people get it.... most MTV entertainers don't like Bush. They didn't show up to see either Bush or Kerry's daughters.

The photograph is stored somewhere on Yahoo, I tried to find the original but couldn't on their entertainment section so I just cut the Drudge posting. As pointed out it doesn't take a rocket scientist to say "People were booing." and needing an incontrovertable source of record all you have to do is watch the news clips or replay of the broadcast.

In the interest of being "fair and balanced" you should change the topic to include the Bush daughters as well.

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Reaching out to young Americans at MTV's Video Music Awards Sunday night, the daughters of President Bush and his Democratic challenger Sen. John Kerry were met by loud cheers and jeers.

It was unclear exactly whom the cheers and the boos were meant for or why. They began immediately after radio and MTV personality Carson Daly introduced "from New York, Barbara and Jenna Bush and here in Miami, Vanessa and Alexandra Kerry."

[ulr]http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/30/candidates.daughters/index.html[/url]

NOTE TO SELF: No longer refer to smart people genericly as "rocket scientist" it's now rocket SURGEON.

Duly noted and entered into the record.

Oh, I also freely admit I did not know it was a joint appearance MBE until you posted that. I did read that the twins appeared by satellite but not that it was joint.

I stand corrected in the name of fairness and accuracy.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark'] NOTE TO SELF: No longer refer to smart people genericly as "rocket scientist" it's now rocket SURGEON. [/quote]

It's a reference to Outlaw Volleyball. This being a game site and all, it's appropriate.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Amen David85, I agree with you 100%. The mix of entertainment and politics this year is sickening. I think everyone is sick of politics being interjected into things that should be apolitical like the Olympics (Yes, the Bush Olympic ad was pointless pointing out there are 2 new democracies in the the group of competitive nations.) MTV Music Awards etc. I mean people get it.... most MTV entertainers don't like Bush. They didn't show up to see either Bush or Kerry's daughters.

The photograph is stored somewhere on Yahoo, I tried to find the original but couldn't on their entertainment section so I just cut the Drudge posting. As pointed out it doesn't take a rocket scientist to say "People were booing." and needing an incontrovertable source of record all you have to do is watch the news clips or replay of the broadcast.[/quote]

There's a big difference between the girls being booed (Drudge's version) and being met with a mix of cheers and jeers (the CNN version). One indicates they were all but forced off the stage, while the other indicates there were both cheers of praise and boos of derision, something not unexpected in our currently split society. To say the stories said the same thing is being disengenuous.

I heard the audience when they started speaking, they were booing them. When the mentioned voting for their father the boos got louder. I wish I had an audio link or video link but you know what? I'm too lazy to look for it. It was on the radio news at 1PM.

I think its a perfect example of how people are sick and tired of politics being shoved down their throats when all the want is entertainment. I, personally, am comletely sick of entertainers feeling the need to get on their soap box every time they accept an award or do a concert.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']I heard the audience when they started speaking, they were booing them. When the mentioned voting for their father the boos got louder. I wish I had an audio link or video link but you know what? I'm too lazy to look for it. It was on the radio news at 1PM.[/quote]

From your own story, PAD:

And later, from your own story....

"My sister and I are thrilled to be here tonight with you all in Florida," said Vanessa Kerry, "and to get this chance to suggest that you get involved in this election and vote -- and hopefully that you vote for our father."

MTV cameras showed some audience members apparently giving the women a standing ovation, but the mixture of boos and cheers continued.

Two points:

(1) If you're going to cite a story, read the damned thing first; and
(2) Why did you even post this in the first place? What does it have to do with anything, except some sort of attempt to malign two young women and rile people up here? What are you trying to accomplish?

And I must remind you that both the Kerry and Bush daughters were invited to bring up politics as part of the MTV campaign to get young people to vote.

And they both were booed because no one wants to lissen to this bullshit.

As a young person is a Government class that was great we figured out why young people don't vote.

1. I live in Mass, guess who will win the State?

2. Most of the class hates both Kerry and Bush like I do. Why waste your time when you can work an extra hour that week instead of voting, or that extra hour a day instead of watching the news to see what they are up to.

It's useless, Kerry is a left wacko aka Quackzilla, and Bush is a relgious right winger aka PAD.

rock the vote was the dumbest shit i've ever seen. I'm not gonna vote because "P-Diddy" says its cool.

and the commercials they have on MTV for voting are retarded.

the ones that name a bunch of stupid ass shit that shouldnt be the reason you vote.

Vote for free downs, blah blah blah, just vote for something.... if thats why you're voting, you shouldnt even vote.

stupid MTV.

[quote name='David85']And they both were booed because no one wants to lissen to this bullshit.

As a young person is a Government class that was great we figured out why young people don't vote.

2. Most of the class hates both Kerry and Bush like I do. Why waste your time when you can work an extra hour that week instead of voting, or that extra hour a day instead of watching the news to see what they are up to.

It's useless, Kerry is a left wacko aka Quackzilla, and Bush is a relgious right winger aka PAD.[/quote]

John Kerry is as close to the center as possible dude. I looked at the results of the Political Compass test and that's where he registers. Surprisingly enough John Edwards is closer to the Right than ANY of the Democratic Presidential candidates there were. Trust me you'd NEVER see a real Liberal or anyone CLOSE to it even have a chance at the White House. God forbid some who was somewhat Liberal and Libertarian would get in the White House.
For those daughters though I wouldn't mind both of them but the Bush girls are HOT! Too bad one of his daughters will be downsized if she gets into Healthcare. chuckles.

Dave85:

You do know 'aka' stands for 'also known as', used mainly in the case of aliases.

The letters you were looking for were 'ala', which has no actual meaning (besides being Italian for 'wing') it is often used as with, but misinterperetations have allowed it to be used in much the same fashon al 'like'.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Dave85:

You do know 'aka' stands for 'also known as', used mainly in the case of aliases.

The letters you were looking for were 'ala', which has no actual meaning (besides being Italian for 'wing') it is often used as with, but misinterperetations have allowed it to be used in much the same fashon al 'like'.[/quote]
:roll:

[quote name='Sarang01'][quote name='David85']And they both were booed because no one wants to lissen to this bullshit.

It's useless, Kerry is a left wacko aka Quackzilla, and Bush is a relgious right winger aka PAD.[/quote]

John Kerry is as close to the center as possible dude. I looked at the results of the Political Compass test and that's where he registers. Surprisingly enough John Edwards is closer to the Right than ANY of the Democratic Presidential candidates there were. Trust me you'd NEVER see a real Liberal or anyone CLOSE to it even have a chance at the White House. God forbid some who was somewhat Liberal and Libertarian would get in the White House.
For those daughters though I wouldn't mind both of them but the Bush girls are HOT! Too bad one of his daughters will be downsized if she gets into Healthcare. chuckles.[/quote]

Oh yes because some dumb test really means anything. Look at how he votes in the Senate, if he ever is there, and he was the number 1 liberal and Edward the number 4.

[quote name='David85'][quote name='Sarang01'][quote name='David85']And they both were booed because no one wants to lissen to this bullshit.

For those daughters though I wouldn't mind both of them but the Bush girls are HOT! Too bad one of his daughters will be downsized if she gets into Healthcare. chuckles.[/quote]

Oh yes because some dumb test really means anything. Look at how he votes in the Senate, if he ever is there, and he was the number 1 liberal and Edward the number 4.[/quote]

I got the impression it was based off that stuff or what he's said or both.

I mean do you REALLY believe a Liberal could become President? The last time we probably had a strong Liberal in office was FDR.

bread's done
Back