Using PS2 Controllers on Playstation 3

Thomas96

CAGiversary!
I found a trick that will allow you to play a ps3 game w/ the ps2 controller. I used a Radioshack ps2 to usb adapter, and plugged it into the system, slot 1, then I assigned the ps3 controller to slot one via wireless. So what happens is that the ps2 controller becomes like an extention to the ps3 controller, which allowed me to play some of marval ultimate alliance w/ the ps2 controller. Also, I had to turn the analog function off, as the character kept rolling (when using the ps2 pad) I couldn't get this type of system to work when using a ps2 game unfortunately; I was looking for a way to connect the guitar hero controller to work with the ps3. Later on today I'll be trying it with the actual guitar hero game and see what I actually come up with.

[quote name='Thomas96']I found a trick that will allow you to play a ps3 game w/ the ps2 controller. I used a Radioshack ps2 to usb adapter, and plugged it into the system, slot 1, then I assigned the ps3 controller to slot one via wireless. So what happens is that the ps2 controller becomes like an extention to the ps3 controller, which allowed me to play some of marval ultimate alliance w/ the ps2 controller. Also, I had to turn the analog function off, as the character kept rolling (when using the ps2 pad) I couldn't get this type of system to work when using a ps2 game unfortunately; I was looking for a way to connect the guitar hero controller to work with the ps3. Later on today I'll be trying it with the actual guitar hero game and see what I actually come up with.[/QUOTE]

Same situation..I have the ps2/usb adapter from RS and have been trying to get guitar hero to work to no avail. It's really frustrating because it is clearly a software issue that could easily be fixed, pressing the ps button to start an emulated game and not able to assign the usb port to player 1...and not having an analog on/off on your guitar. Let me know if you get anywhere.

I tried to hook up the guitar hero controller, via the usb adapter, and assign the ps3 controller to slot one, but it didn't work when the ps2 game was loaded. The blue button(x) was the only button that worked during the ps3s xmb menu. there's supposed to be an adapter coming out on 12/15, hopefully it make things work. The real issue is that the ps3 itself can recognize, regular ps2 controllers, via usb adapters, but when it gets into the ps2 mode (of playing ps2 games) it forgets how to recognize ps2 controllers hooked up via the usb slots.

The ps2 to ps3 adapter is being made by Electro Source (via Pelican) the settled with immersion earlier this year thus allowing them to make periphereals that include rumble functions.

http://immr.client.shareholder.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=188933

Immersion Licenses Patents to Electro Source for Its Pelican Brand Video Game Accessories
License and Settlement Agreements Settle Legal Differences
SAN JOSE, Calif., Feb 28, 2006 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Immersion Corporation, (Nasdaq:IMMR), a leading developer and licensor of touch feedback technology, and Electro Source LLC, maker of Pelican video game accessories, today announced settlement of the patent infringement litigation between the companies filed in September 2004.

In addition to the Confidential Settlement Agreement, Electro Source will have a worldwide license to Immersion's patents for vibro-tactile devices in the consumer gaming peripheral field of use. Electro Source will make royalty payments to Immersion based on sales by Electro Source of spinning mass vibro-tactile gamepads, steering wheels, and other game controllers for dedicated gaming consoles such as the Sony PlayStation and PlayStation2, the Nintendo GameCube, and the Microsoft Xbox and Xbox 360, in addition to certain other remuneration.

Both companies also have agreed to explore the possibility of working together in technology or engineering related assignments.

"We are extremely pleased to add Electro Source as an Immersion licensee. Over the past three years, Electro Source has increased its market share to become one of the top three sellers of video console accessories in the United States," said Victor Viegas, Immersion CEO. "We look forward to working with Electro Source in the future."

No further details of the terms of the settlement were disclosed.

About Immersion Corporation (www.immersion.com)

Founded in 1993, Immersion Corporation is a recognized leader in developing, licensing, and marketing digital touch technology and products. Bringing value to markets where man-machine interaction needs to be made more compelling, safer, or productive, Immersion helps its partners broaden market reach by making the use of touch feedback as critical a user experience as sight and sound. Immersion's technology is deployed across automotive, entertainment, medical training, mobility, personal computing, and three-dimensional simulation markets. Immersion's patent portfolio includes over 500 issued or pending patents in the U.S. and other countries.

About Electro Source, LLC (www.pelicanacc.com)

Pelican is the fastest growing video game peripherals company in the United States, providing a full line of accessories for all current and future video game platforms including PlayStation, PlayStation2, Xbox and Xbox 360, Nintendo 64, Nintendo GameCube, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Advance SP. Product design, testing and research take place in the USA with the majority of manufacturing occurring in Asia. Pelican is headquartered in Vernon, California.

Forward-looking Statements

This press release contains "forward-looking statements" that involve risks and uncertainties, as well as assumptions that, if they never materialize or prove incorrect, could cause the results of Immersion Corporation and its consolidated subsidiaries to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements.

All statements, other than the statements of historical fact, are statements that may be deemed forward-looking statements, including any projections of earnings, revenues, or other financial matters; any statements of the plans, strategies, and objectives of management for future operations; any statements concerning sales of vibro-tactile or force feedback peripheral devices for consumer gaming; any statements regarding consumer response that may occur as a result of having touch feedback in peripheral devices or consumer and market acceptance of touch feedback products in general; any statements regarding proposed products or services; any statements regarding future economic conditions or performance; statements of belief; and any statement or assumption underlying any of the foregoing. Immersion's actual results might differ materially from those stated or implied by such forward-looking statements due to risks and uncertainties associated with Immersion's business, which include but are not limited to, delay in or failure to achieve commercial demand for Immersion's products or the licensed products or a delay in or failure to achieve the acceptance of touch feedback as a critical user experience.

For a more detailed discussion of these factors, and other factors that could cause the Company's actual results to vary materially, interested parties should review the risk factors listed in the Company's most current Form 10-Q, which is on file with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The forward-looking statements in this press release reflect the Company's beliefs and predictions as of the date of this release. The Company disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements as a result of financial, business, or any other developments occurring after the date of this release.

Immersion and the Immersion logo are trademarks of Immersion Corporation in the U.S. and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

SOURCE: Immersion Corporation

A&R Partners (for Immersion)
Erin Freeley, 650-762-2863
[email protected]
or
Electro Source LLC
Dave Muscatel, 323-325-9568
[email protected]
Copyright Business Wire 2006

News Provided by COMTEX

so we may get a ps3 controller with tilt and vibration feedback, it'll just be a 3rd party making it. hopefully developers will support this.

[quote name='thagoat']so we may get a ps3 controller with tilt and vibration feedback, it'll just be a 3rd party making it. hopefully developers will support this.[/QUOTE]

remember, sony did say that the rumble could come back, it's just a matter of if developers will put it in their games. Basically, Sony just passed the cost of rumble on to third party companies. That was smarter than what microsoft, and Nintendo did...

People are actually playing the ps3? Wow. I believe rumble is inportant in games like grand turismo and other racing games. Lets hope they will bring it back.

I hope this gets fixed soon. I am selling my PS2, but keeping guitar hero 1 and 2 with the hope the PS3 will someday be able to recognize the guitar controller.

Since it's made by Pelican and not Sony, I wouldn't expect it to work any differently than the SmartJoy USB adapter that I already have. It doesn't allow you to use Guitar Hero. Also, I wouldn't count on getting rumble support. It's not as if a significant portion of the PS3 owning population is going to buy these adapters, so developers have little incentive to put rumble support in their games. There's a better chance of it working with PS2 games, but that too would require cooperation from Sony.

[quote name='icruise']Since it's made by Pelican and not Sony, I wouldn't expect it to work any differently than the SmartJoy USB adapter that I already have. It doesn't allow you to use Guitar Hero. Also, I wouldn't count on getting rumble support. It's not as if a significant portion of the PS3 owning population is going to buy these adapters, so developers have little incentive to put rumble support in their games. There's a better chance of it working with PS2 games, but that too would require cooperation from Sony.[/QUOTE]

I just hope that it'll work w/ the guitar hero controller, and w/ the beatmania controller... it comes out on the 22nd now... so I'll see what happens.. hopefully it doesn't get pushed back again.

Oh man I completely forgot about Guitar Heroes! I got a PS3 and was planning to sell my PS2 but if I do for the time being I won't be able to play it!

I am looking for an adapter too so that I can use my ps2 arcade sticks when I play games like SF Anniversary. Unfortunately, that adapter (the delayed Pelican one) seems useless unless they add a PS button. I really hope someone comes up with a solution.

[quote name='shaunLEGEND']I am looking for an adapter too so that I can use my ps2 arcade sticks when I play games like SF Anniversary. Unfortunately, that adapter (the delayed Pelican one) seems useless unless they add a PS button. I really hope someone comes up with a solution.[/QUOTE]

it's not really about the PS button, I think it's just a matter of a firmare update... cause the PS button, could be considered as a combination of select and start... and plus the ps3 needs to be able to read from the usb slots when it's in ps2 mode. w/ a usb adapter, you can use a ps2 controller w/ a psp game... I tried it w/ marvel ultimate alliance.. (you have to turn the analog off) anyway I hope that the issue is address sometime soon...

[quote name='Thomas96']remember, sony did say that the rumble could come back, it's just a matter of if developers will put it in their games. Basically, Sony just passed the cost of rumble on to third party companies. That was smarter than what microsoft, and Nintendo did...[/QUOTE]

How? Why is it that Nintendo and Microsoft can incorporate rumble features and wireless control, yet make more money off their consoles than Sony? The PS3 lacking a first-party rumble feature is simply inexcusable.

If the controllers that are included with the system don't support rumble, then it is dead. End of story. People aren't going to go out and buy a third-party controller just for rumble, and developers aren't going to code for a third-party controller that nobody has. That's just the way it is. I think it was a mistake to get rid of it, but it's gone.

[quote name='MAH4546']How? Why is it that Nintendo and Microsoft can incorporate rumble features and wireless control, yet make more money off their consoles than Sony? The PS3 lacking a first-party rumble feature is simply inexcusable.[/QUOTE]

Sony should definitely have rumble... I don't miss it... but it's a good feature. However, I think that Sony just didn't want to do any business w/ Immersion, because instead of just suing for their money, they tried to halt the sales of the ps2 console, all games, and accessories. Immersion was trying to take sony out of the game in one fowl swoop... thus sony doesn't want nothing to do w/ that company. Also, they just passed on the coststo third party developers... like pelican and electro source... who paid immersion so that their adapter and controllers would have the rumble feature. obviously Sony lied about not being able to incorporate the technologies... if it's true that sony just didn't want to deal w/ immersion, or if they just feel like it wasn't worth paying for.. then I would rather have them just say that.... lying to consumers is the unexcusable thing that Sony did primarily...

Meh, I just called the bastards at GameStop and they said that "2/1/2007" was an error...however, they're STILL not sure when this thing will come out. I'm gonna keep bugging them about this. They should learn how to keep their promises, and stop trying to pull dates out their ass to get pre-orders.

EDIT: I know it's not GameStop's fault, but they really should be in better contact with these developers/publishers because honestly, I just talked to the guys there and they've been getting a crap load of calls about the PS3/PS2 adapter. I don't see how hard it is to make something like this:

802566b.jpg

Do we know for sure that this adapter will have some functionality not offered by the currently available PS2-to-USB adapters (the ones made for using PS2 controllers on a computer)? I've used one on my PS3 and it seems to work fine. Even allowed me to use my infrared remote control.

[quote name='icruise']Do we know for sure that this adapter will have some functionality not offered by the currently available PS2-to-USB adapters (the ones made for using PS2 controllers on a computer)? I've used one on my PS3 and it seems to work fine. Even allowed me to use my infrared remote control.[/QUOTE]

Red Octance, some months before the ps3 came out had an adapter that would allow the guitar controller to convert to usb. they took it off the site after I emailed them about it.

[quote name='rickonker']Rumble is important to me, I'm surprised so many people don't care about it.[/QUOTE]

Just another personal preference thing I guess. I can count on one hand the number of games that I've thought have been enhanced by rumble. I shut it off half the time in games that even support it.

It would be different if any of the consoles had force feedback, but that's never been done. Rumble has always struck me as a gimmick. I never miss it in DS or PSP or PC games, and I seriously doubt I'll miss it in PS3 games. I probably wouldn't have even noticed if no one had said it lacks rumble.

[quote name='MAH4546']How? Why is it that Nintendo and Microsoft can incorporate rumble features and wireless control, yet make more money off their consoles than Sony? [/QUOTE]

'Cause the Playstation 3 costs more to build. Rumble might add what, probably a few more bucks to the price that goes to Immersion?

Plus didn't Microsoft just buy out part of Immersion, so basically Sony would have to pay Microsoft for something that was really their design to begin with...I can't see that going over well with their execs.

And I guess Nintendo's rumble isn't covered by Immersion?

Ironically I thought Sony had by far the best implementation of rumble.

looking at the picture of the pelican adapter, radioshack has one that is very similar looking. The one I had before was different, maybe the new version might work. I was thinking about trying one to find out. If anyone has the newer version of the ps2/usb adapter that looks like the pelican version try it out and let us know if it works.

bread's done
Back