MS: Gears of War disks are ruining 360 DVD drives

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Yep. Customer support is telling people that.

My cousin bought a new 360 with gears, he kept getting the disk read errors. He took the game back to the store and got a new one. Still gets the errors. He called MS before he returned the whole system and MS told him that it was a very serious known issue with gears of war. They said they are aware of 'bad' disks out there that are ruining drives, and they advised not playing the game until it's fixed.

I have no idea how a game can ruin a dvd drive unless you maybe glue rock salt to it.

Anyone else heard this from MS? Pretty silly if you ask me....

[quote name='thrustbucket']Yep. Customer support is telling people that.

My cousin bought a new 360 with gears, he kept getting the disk read errors. He took the game back to the store and got a new one. Still gets the errors. He called MS before he returned the whole system and MS told him that it was a very serious known issue with gears of war. They said they are aware of 'bad' disks out there that are ruining drives, and they advised not playing the game until it's fixed.

I have no idea how a game can ruin a dvd drive unless you maybe glue rock salt to it.

Anyone else heard this from MS? Pretty silly if you ask me....[/QUOTE]

MS reps are stupid as hell, don't ever listen to anything they say.

If there really were "bad" disks I think this would have come to light a long time ago given how popular the game is... just the MS rep wanting to blame anything except themselves.

I remember awhile ago MS reps were blaming problems on Dead Rising, as well.

You know, now that I think about it, my drive did make some weird noises when playing Gears. It only happened three or four times and it didn't stop the game so I didn't think much about it. It only happened during Gears, never anything else. It sounded like something grinding very quickly to a stop. And now my DVD drive is dead. I wonder if MS will cover that if i'm out of warranty. Probably not.

I actually get pretty nervous playing oblivion, because it sounds like that game keeps the disk spinning at full speed the entire time. Since oblivion play sessions go rather long, I wonder how fast my drive will wear out.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I actually get pretty nervous playing oblivion, because it sounds like that game keeps the disk spinning at full speed the entire time. Since oblivion play sessions go rather long, I wonder how fast my drive will wear out.[/QUOTE]

I have had a few DREs with Oblivion and I think one with Gears. But that is about it.

[quote name='Scorch']You know, now that I think about it, my drive did make some weird noises when playing Gears. It only happened three or four times and it didn't stop the game so I didn't think much about it. It only happened during Gears, never anything else. It sounded like something grinding very quickly to a stop. And now my DVD drive is dead. I wonder if MS will cover that if i'm out of warranty. Probably not.[/QUOTE]

Mine started doing the same thing and I don't even have Gears. Two days ago I got the three red lights of death.

It's stupid not to get the warranty. For the price of a game, you get a 2 year warranty on everything that came with your console purchase.

Anyway, Gears has messed up a few times for me, but I think that's normal. I'm still under the MS extended warranty (they're covering my console for an extra year since I got my console in December of 2005), so I'll send my console off sometime when I'll be too busy to play it (probably in May), and I'm returning Gears for the 110% price match anyway.

I've actually have had 3 DRE with GoW in the past week, and 1 with Dead rising. None with other stuff like Chrome hounds or DVDs however. Though the 360 DVD drive is awfully loud.

I'm not much worried about the 360 crapping out since I got it at costco, I'm more concerned about my sidc getting scratched from those god awful loud drive.

[quote name='Scorch']You know, now that I think about it, my drive did make some weird noises when playing Gears. It only happened three or four times and it didn't stop the game so I didn't think much about it. It only happened during Gears, never anything else. It sounded like something grinding very quickly to a stop. And now my DVD drive is dead. I wonder if MS will cover that if i'm out of warranty. Probably not.[/quote]

Shit. So this is what happened... I bought GoW around release and played it until the second mission and it kept freezing. I tried cleaning the disc but no luck at all so I finally exchanged it about a two weeks ago. My 360 then decided to not connect to Live or run anything connected to USB (Camera, iPod and HD-DVD drive). The next thing to go was the DVD drive - I get weird video on the screen during playback (like red dots everywhere) on everything until the disc freezes. Now I get the red rings of death and the system won't boot - it's on its way to MS right now but I wonder if GoW was the beginning of the end - my system worked relatively perfectly (occasional freezes during games - maybe 10 or so times in the last year) until I played it.

Oh well... I'm definitely buying the warranty on the refurb unit but I can't help think that MS manufactures crap.

Thanks to everyone for giving me the go ahead not to bother buying GoW. I wanted to try it but if this bs is happening I'll pass. Have these problems only been heard of on American discs or what?
Hopefully "Blue Dragon" won't suffer these problems as well as rest of the Mistwalker games.

[quote name='Sarang01']Thanks to everyone for giving me the go ahead not to bother buying GoW. I wanted to try it but if this bs is happening I'll pass. Have these problems only been heard of on American discs or what?
Hopefully "Blue Dragon" won't suffer these problems as well as rest of the Mistwalker games.[/QUOTE]

Wait, why the hell am I in your sig? I don't really care about Japanese games on the 360... all of my 360 games are US based ones except for DoA 4, and I only bought the system for primarily US based games.

I'd much rather play Rainbow Six Vegas over Blue Dragon any day of the week.

Jeeez, I still have mine since launch and no problems (knock on wood).
"It's stupid not to get the warranty.", it is stupid to give a 3 month warranty on a $300+ piece of electronics. That is bullshit.

My launch 360 is still going fine ( a mountain dew winner), but I have noticed some unusual squeaking coming from the dvd drive when opening and closing. Anyone know when the new 360 is coming out; the one with the more efficient processor? I'll probably trade my 360 in for one of those, I'm hoping it has a built in hdmi port.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Has a game disc ever killed a PC in all the years of PC gaming? Think about it.[/quote]

Actually yes, my friend's DVD drive was totally destroyed by a CD. Though the CD was cracked and it kind of exploded at high speed, so that's a different story I guess.

As someone who worked in customer service (though on a much smaller scale than MS) during college, I can tell you that customer service reps will tell you whatever they can to get you off the phone so they can get back to surfing the internet.

How does a disc mess up a DVD drive?:whistle2:?

Ours works perfectly fine... and combined, my bro and I have went through the game 3x (we did the single player mission once each and then co-op) not to mention the multiplayer.

[quote name='Roufuss']Wait, why the hell am I in your sig? I don't really care about Japanese games on the 360... all of my 360 games are US based ones except for DoA 4, and I only bought the system for primarily US based games.

I'd much rather play Rainbow Six Vegas over Blue Dragon any day of the week.[/QUOTE]

You definitely don't belong in there. I'd be a better fit... I like anime, nonsensical shit, and little girls... how much more Japanese could I be?

So this is coming from Microsoft, eh? I thought something fishy was up..

It sounds crazy to me, but I kept getting relentless disc read errors over the weekend with GoW. I really, really hope I stopped playing before it could do any harm to my disc drive, if that's seriously what is going on.. wow. Disc drive currently still runs very quiet like it always has though, no issues with anything except GoW.. maybe I'm in the clear.

This is something very real for me. Gears has made my 360 make noises it has never made before. These noises start immediatly upon closing the DVD drive (w/ GOW in it), and last for about a minute, then quiet down when it gets to the menu screen. I guess I would describe the noises as a loud whirring sound similar to how the a game usually sounds in the drive, but clearly louder, almost as if the disc is slighly out of balance. I have only had the 3 red lights once, but I restarted the console and they went away. the console is still playing the game fine and has not scratched the disc, but the noise sure does worry me.

[quote name='Chacrana']You definitely don't belong in there. I'd be a better fit... I like anime, nonsensical shit, and little girls... how much more Japanese could I be?[/QUOTE]

Haha, good, you can take my place ;)

I didn't even know Japanese people other than Tecmo made 360 games.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'd be a better fit... I like ... little girls... [/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be telegraphing that over the internet, bro.

This kind of stuff really chaps my arse. I hope that MS hasnt unloaded a ticking time bomb on us all. Anyway I was wondering how many of youhad this problem with the console positioned VERTICAL?
I have never run my 360 (launch unit) or my PS2 (also launch unit!) in the vertical position and have had absolutley no problems with either console.EVER.
And I have heard that these things just dont like to run verti.So how many have had the problem with horizontal units? Either way I think I will pass on GEARS for awhile

[quote name='Chacrana']You definitely don't belong in there. I'd be a better fit... I like anime, nonsensical shit, and little girls... how much more Japanese could I be?[/quote]
You sound like a /b/tard.

[quote name='photopants']This kind of stuff really chaps my arse. I hope that MS hasnt unloaded a ticking time bomb on us all. Anyway I was wondering how many of youhad this problem with the console positioned VERTICAL?
I have never run my 360 (launch unit) or my PS2 (also launch unit!) in the vertical position and have had absolutley no problems with either console.EVER.
And I have heard that these things just dont like to run verti.So how many have had the problem with horizontal units? Either way I think I will pass on GEARS for awhile[/QUOTE]

Beats me, but my OG Xbox ran horizontally (of course), and it sounded like someone was running a chainsaw in there, and it occasionally -- literally -- chewed up a game or a DVD and spit it out, so I can pretty safely say that's no guarantee.

I run my system horizontally, and haven't noticed anything unusual yet. GoW has frozen very briefly and intermittantly in certain spots, though.

[quote name='DeathDealer']you guys are scaring me, I just bought a 360 a day ago. I am in fear, I better get the warranty I guess.[/quote]

Pay for the MS Warranty, it is well worth it. I have had to send mine in 2 times so far. MS CS is crap as well. It is always something or someone else's fault, not their product.

I just ordered GoW from buy.com, too. I didn't get the extended warranty (because I was too lazy to call), so I think I'll just stick to playing XBLA and Lego Star Wars II. With my luck the 360 will die as soon as I pop the disc in, and since I'm moving to Minneapolis at the end of the month, I don't want to deal with repairs right now. Technology is a bitch.

Shouldn't the disc just be exchanged and that would solve the problem?
Although honestly this is the first I've known of this issue, outside of Oblivion which use to pwn 360s with all its content.

I think it's stupid to pay $60 extra to MS to make up for problems that are caused by MS themselves, if you can buy at Costco instead. Otherwise I guess you just have to suck it up.

my brother started to get DRE problems when playing various games, It started before GoW.

He would play a game for about a week, then it would start to occur with DRE problems, and get to a point where it would not play the game at all.

He sent the Box back to M$ for them to fix.

[quote name='porieux']I think it's stupid to pay $60 extra to MS to make up for problems that are caused by MS themselves, if you can buy at Costco instead. Otherwise I guess you just have to suck it up.[/QUOTE]

THANK you! You sum up for me why I think buying the warranty is bs. You shouldn't buy the warranty expecting it to fail. It would be one thing to buy the warranty just in case but buying it expecting it to fail, gamers should chew MS the fuck out if their three sixty gives them problems, especially if it's from a game published by MS.

Yeah, it's basically a way of artificially inflating the price of the console by $60.
Thank god for Costco.

[quote name='porieux']Yeah, it's basically a way of artificially inflating the price of the console by $60.
Thank god for Costco.[/QUOTE]

In further summation it's amazing the pass the idiot fanboys will give MS by purchasing the extended warranty for shit like this which SHOULDN'T happen.

Oh yes Porieux and Sarang, they made the systems like this on purpose to get warranty sales! :roll:

Guess what guys? The more you cram into an electronic, the more that can go wrong! This applies to anything out there.

In a perfect world electronics wouldn't break. Well they do. If you can afford 400.00 for a system, you can afford a 40.00 gamestop warranty. Yes, we are all cheap ass gamers, just dont be a dumb ass gamer, k?

$60 for the warrenty. Whats it cost to have it repaired? $160 I think. There's you odds. So if more than 1 in 3 are failing, it would pay to get the warrenty. My guess is that the failure rate is about 1 in 3. Who knows.

I havent got an extended warrenty myself, although sometimes I wish I did - just for the peace of mind. Normally I won't touch an extended warrenty with a 10 foot pole. I purchased my system in Feb. I had a failure in March or April. Other than that, so far so good. If mine does fail, I will give them a piece of my mind.

Whats Costco's extended warrenty? Another question, of the people who's systems have faile, how old was your system? I wonder if the failures can be attributred to infant mortality.

Am I the only person who bought a 360 on day one that has not had one a problem?

Granted my play hours on the 360 are not what I would like them to be, only about 5-10 hours a week avg if I'm lucky and none the past week, but damn! This is just crazy!

GOW works fine for me. It's the Collectors Edition if that makes a difference. Just as loud as Oblivion, which is very loud.

Also keep in mind that the MS out of the box warranty for the 360, is only 90 days. Which is nothing.

I agree with Horrido, the cost of a warranty (instore or not) is a whole lot less than getting the actual unit repaired. I had a customer a while ago, who told me her Xbox crashed after playing a couple games of Uno. Said it cost her $110-120 to get it repaired/shipped, since she was out of warranty.

[quote name='seanr1221']Oh yes Porieux and Sarang, they made the systems like this on purpose to get warranty sales! :roll:

Guess what guys? The more you cram into an electronic, the more that can go wrong! This applies to anything out there.

In a perfect world electronics wouldn't break. Well they do. If you can afford 400.00 for a system, you can afford a 40.00 gamestop warranty. Yes, we are all cheap ass gamers, just dont be a dumb ass gamer, k?[/QUOTE]

Guess what guy? I never said they made the system like that on purpose to get warranty sales :roll:

However, are they taking advantage of their own problem at the expense of the customer? You bet your cheap ass they are.

Like I said, the smart thing is to buy it at Costco. If not, then suck it up.

Guess what guy? I never said they made the system like that on purpose to get warranty sales

However, are they taking advantage of their own problem at the expense of the customer? You bet your cheap ass they are.

So by offering the cheapest warranty (besides costco) and fixing the original batch of systems for free they are taking advantage? Sweet

[quote name='seanr1221']So by offering the cheapest warranty (besides costco) and fixing the original batch of systems for free they are taking advantage? Sweet[/QUOTE]

The failure rate on these is way higher than normal, that's an established fact.
Otherwise everyone wouldn't be buying the warranty now would they?
So yeah, they are. They should increase the warranty and/or maybe even do a recall.

And you said yourself that the Gamestop warranty is $40; Microsoft's is $60.

This is just my observation, it doesn't really affect me because a) I bought mine at
Costco and b) my employer reimburses me for the cost anyway, and would pay for
a new one if it broke.

[quote name='porieux']Guess what guy? I never said they made the system like that on purpose to get warranty sales :roll:

However, are they taking advantage of their own problem at the expense of the customer? You bet your cheap ass they are.[/quote]
You say that like it's an MS problem exclusively. Where have you been?

People are giving MS "a free pass?" What, would you like us to storm the gates of Redmond and overthrow their empire? They took a TON of shit for putting out crappy systems at first. Other than that, there's nothing else you can do. Either buy the system and do what obviously needs to be done to ensure you're protected, or don't fucking buy it. In your own words, suck it up. No matter how much it bothers us, there's nothing we can do to Microsoft outside of not give them our money.

Like I said, the smart thing is to buy it at Costco. If not, then suck it up.
A Costco membership costs about the same as a warranty, or more if you got in on the $40 warranty.

Not knocking Costco because they can be handy for buying high priced items, but you make it sound like there's nothing to buying it at Costco.

The failure rate on these is way higher than normal, that's an established fact.
Source? Also, what is "normal?"

I don't doubt it (even mine crapped out), but if you say it's an "established fact" I'd like to see where you found this proof.

[quote name='KaneRobot']You say that like it's an MS problem exclusively. Where have you been?

People are giving MS "a free pass?" What, would you like us to storm the gates of Redmond and overthrow their empire? They took a TON of shit for putting out crappy systems at first. Other than that, there's nothing else you can do. Either buy the system and do what obviously needs to be done to ensure you're protected, or don't fucking buy it. In your own words, suck it up. No matter how much it bothers us, there's nothing we can do to Microsoft outside of not give them our money.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say anything about a 'free pass'. No idea where that came from...

[quote name='KaneRobot']
A Costco membership costs about the same as a warranty, or more if you got in on the $40 warranty.

Not knocking Costco because they can be handy for buying high priced items, but you make it sound like there's nothing to buying it at Costco.[/QUOTE]

I said 'if you CAN buy at Costco' in a previous post as a qualifier.
And it's not like that membership doesn't save you money all year
on all kinds of things...and get you warranties on lots of things as well.

[quote name='KaneRobot']
Source? Also, what is "normal?"

I don't doubt it (even mine crapped out), but if you say it's an "established fact" I'd like to see where you found this proof.[/QUOTE]

Oh please. You don't need a source for this one, any site you visit that discusses the 360 has countless stories of them failing, what to do to prevent it, coolers being sold (even if they make problems worse), and EVERYONE saying to buy the warranty. That simply is not the case with most electronics items or even video game systems.

I'm not bashing the 360, in fact I think it's great. As a matter of fact I'm not sure what anyone is disagreeing with me for, what I said is correct; either buy it at Costco or buy the warranty. And if you buy the warranty that makes it $60 more expensive. There is nothing to disagree with there, it's fact.

[quote name='porieux']
Oh please. You don't need a source for this one, any site you visit that discusses the 360 has countless stories of them failing, what to do to prevent it, coolers being sold (even if they make problems worse), and EVERYONE saying to buy the warranty. That simply is not the case with most electronics items or even video game systems.[/QUOTE]

I decree that only 0.034853634% of all 360's fail. I don't need a source to prove the number. Trust me. I'm a guy on the internet.

I don't say buy the warranty because I feel the system could explode. I say buy the warranty because its a piece of electronic equipment over $350.00. I'd recommend a warranty for a television just the same.

As for thats not the case with most electronics malfunctioning, got a source for that as well? Or do we have to take your word again?

[quote name='Mad-B-Man']I've actually have had 3 DRE with GoW in the past week, and 1 with Dead rising. None with other stuff like Chrome hounds or DVDs however. Though the 360 DVD drive is awfully loud.

I'm not much worried about the 360 crapping out since I got it at costco, I'm more concerned about my sidc getting scratched from those god awful loud drive.[/quote]

Does Costco offer some sort of warranty? I bought mine there too but I don't remember being offered anything when I bought it.

I think Microsoft tinkered with components WAY too much to keep noise down. It's partially to blame for the overheating problem. Who knows, they may have tinkered with disc read speeds to reduce either noise or temp. Maybe the disc drives are just cheapass, and games that keep the drive spinning at high speed throughout play (Oblivion and GoW) expose the drive's faults.

If I had talked to a rep. who told me that the reason my 360 was malfunctioning was a "serious issue with GoW and the 360", then I would have taken that as an admission of fault on the part of MS.. demanded to speak to a supervisor.. and had a replacement system on the way before I even thought about hanging up.

Theoretically speaking... couldn't you just replace the 360's disc drive? If they're connected via IDE or SATA to the system's mobo, it should be just a standard drive with a shiny plastic molding in front of the disc tray.

bread's done
Back