Wireless adapter suggestions?

screwkick

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just purchased a 20gig PS3 today. I already have a wireless router set up in the house. Can anyone reccomend a good wireless adapter? Thanks.

Just keep in mind that (as far as I can determine, anyway) the PS3 isn't compatible with USB wi-fi adapters -- you need one of these "game adapters" that will convert wi-fi to ethernet.

I expect Sony to come out with some kind of wireless add-on for the people who have bought the 20GB model, but obviously that hasn't happened yet.

The problem with one of those is that all of the USB ports are in the front of the unit. Soon I will be using my gaming adapter for my PS3, Tivo, and 360 via a router. Very conveinient and cheaper than buying wireless adapters for each of them. I already have a wired router laying around collecting dust, so i will be putting it to use.

[quote name='icruise']Just keep in mind that (as far as I can determine, anyway) the PS3 isn't compatible with USB wi-fi adapters -- you need one of these "game adapters" that will convert wi-fi to ethernet.

I expect Sony to come out with some kind of wireless add-on for the people who have bought the 20GB model, but obviously that hasn't happened yet.[/quote]

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the help. Hopefully Sony will release something soon.

[quote name='dallow']Got this for $50 at Frys, works like a charm.

http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=383&#DGL-3420[/quote]

So let me get this straight. You run an ethernet wire from the game adapter to the ethernet port of the PS3? Is there a software set up involved after that, or does the console recognize it automatically and start accepting a wireless signal?

Thanks for the help, as I plan on picking one of these up today.

[quote name='screwkick']So let me get this straight. You run an ethernet wire from the game adapter to the ethernet port of the PS3? Is there a software set up involved after that, or does the console recognize it automatically and start accepting a wireless signal?

Thanks for the help, as I plan on picking one of these up today.[/quote]

First you have to connect it via Ethernet cable (which is provided) to your PC.
You'll run a quick set up on the device so that it recognizes your WLAN. This is sometimes tricky, but not that difficult.

Then you simply plug it into your PS3 and the magic starts.

I assume they are using some minipci wifi adapter in the 60GB version... Although I don't know for sure. Anybody know if it's possible to buy an after-market minipci with the same chipset and simply install it?

[quote name='nharmon91']I have the Linksys it works flawlessly, All I had to do was plug it in and it was set up[/QUOTE]

does this mean you have never changed the SSID on your router and or the default password to get into your router?

[quote name='lunchboxfett']does this mean you have never changed the SSID on your router and or the default password to get into your router?[/quote]

I leave my router open, none of my neihgbors are smart emough to firgure it out

[quote name='nharmon91']I leave my router open, none of my neihgbors are smart emough to firgure it out[/quote]

I have 4 wireless networks I can detect from my home, 1 open!

No thanks, I want authitication.

Any problems setting that up?

So you can get a DGL-3420 for under $60 on the web, and that will solve the wi-fi issue, where do we go with blue tooth?

THis is especially timely now that Sony has released 40Gb PS3's, fully optioned, at the same cost or below what we all likely paid for the PS3-20's ($499).

Do I have a $500 boat anchor now?

Will one of these USB adaptors work in my 60gig PS3 to extend the range of the Wi-Fi? My PS3 cannot pick up my Wi-Fi signal which is three rooms away from where my PS3 is.

Thanks!

i have those cheap logitech cubes or w.e they are called.. they work fine on everything i have tested them with..

i stopped using them though because they require ac power and i have so many things connected as is

[quote name='imascrub']hey just wondering did that just happen to be on sale or is that their regular price?[/quote]

i bought the dlink game adapter from frys as well, that is the regular price.

[quote name='tylerXtbone']hey dumbass maybe you didn't realize but the ps3 already has wifi built in why would you need an adapter?:drool:[/QUOTE]
dumbass thread is 3 years old and 20 gigs didnt have wifi

bread's done
Back