- - - - -

incredible stupidity: verizon reps can't understand dollars are not cents

#1 eldad9   Join Date: Jun 2002 CAGiversary!   3958 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:05 PM

Amazingly, this guy is going over basic math with two verizon reps, and neither can understand the difference.

http://www.consumeri...ents-220362.php

(Or maybe this direct link works better: )

I am weeping for mankind.

#2 help1   What a dumb username CAGiversary!   11732 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:34 PM

LoL, well it wasnt an indian guy, shoulda got an indian.

#3 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22402 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:38 PM

pretty funny.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#4 Cormier6083   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   620 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Cormier6083

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:30 PM

lmao Cingular ftw

#5 Reality's Fringe   Goes sex for pussy CAGiversary!   7112 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Reality's Fringe

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:35 PM

Have to bump for how incredibly surreal it is.

"It's a matter of opinion."

Good god.
http://artthoubored.ytmnd.com/

http://snapintotehslimjim.ytmnd.com/

I had one last summer. I was asleep for it so I have no recollection of anything being up my ass.

#6 defiance_17   You're bastard people. CAGiversary!   2370 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

defiance_17

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:09 PM

His patience is incredible. Wow.

755024.png

#7 2poor   Luckless CAGiversary!   5678 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:13 PM

His patience is incredible. Wow.

I applaud his patience. I can't believe he is so calm with this dumbass.

EDIT: I can't believe he is so calm with this dumbass AND this dumb bitch.

#8 Ugamer_X   You can trust me CAGiversary!   7617 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:39 PM

My head is spinning after listening to that.

Amazing that he managed to be nice about it, I would've thrown out so many insults at those reps if I were in his shoes.

#9 Chacrana   You wa Cock CAGiversary!   22669 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

That was actually worth listening to the whole way through. The sheer incompetance of those people is just... wow.

it was probably in there because I'm a flaming homosexual.

#10 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15469 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:14 PM

He needs to burn to this cd and send a copy to both the head of marketing at Cingular and the head of Human Resources at Verizon.

#11 happy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1486 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:21 PM

Awesome. Makes me feel like I should go into business and make some real money by just being able to add/multiply

#12 mojoman5165   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   94 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

mojoman5165

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:29 PM

haha "I'm not a mathematician."

#13 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   6854 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:52 PM

Wow, that guy has a lot of patience. I would've been cussing them out, especially after that last lady said "well thats a matter of opinion".

I bet if Verizon outsourced their CS to India the reps would understand, .002 cents is the hourly wage there, isnt it?

538822.png

#14 Kendro   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3541 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:10 AM

I'm about 13 minutes into listening this and it is AWESOME! This customer should be a celebrity rofl.

I'm surprised the CSR still didn't understand wtf the customer was trying to say even with that great example of .5 dollars does not equal .5 cents so .002 cents does not equal .002 dollars.

Edit - Finished listening. WOW. This is like a cliffhanger of Empire Strikes Back proportions. Was there ever an aftermath?

#15 Over easy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1610 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:07 AM

Haha, I'm getting frustrated listening to this guy and the reps.

Finished listening. WOW. This is like a cliffhanger of Empire Strikes Back proportions. Was there ever an aftermath?

I want to know what happens now too.
Posted Image

#16 eldad9   Join Date: Jun 2002 CAGiversary!   3958 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:46 AM

Check the blog for updates:
http://verizonmath.blogspot.com/

#17 SIUfan   Amber Lamps, get dem CAGiversary!   811 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:23 AM

WOW! I wouldn't have been able to keep my cool. He did the right thing though. He needs to fight this shit to the end.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Tradelist

I don't think its a problem with the battery because the lights and radio come on. .

#18 Demolition Man   REV-OH-LU-TION! CAGiversary!   14855 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Demolition Man

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:29 AM

Listening to this made my head hurt....

#19 Diiz   calm like a bomb CAGiversary!   2113 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:45 AM

Wow, I'm loving these recordings with customer service reps... first the fucked up AOL guy a few months ago and now this verizon goober. I'm sick of Verizon in so many ways, and I have had issues like this with them giving me conflicting information on SEVERAL occasions and having to go round and round to fix things. I will be ditching them next month, hoorah!
Posted Image
MIDGARDSORMR
[75]WAR◆

I am a leaf on the wind,
Watch how I soar.

#20 Demolition Man   REV-OH-LU-TION! CAGiversary!   14855 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Demolition Man

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:11 AM

I'm thankful my experience with Verizon hasn't been bad. Its far better than the joke of a time I had with AT&T that is for sure.

#21 Duo_Maxwell   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5752 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Duo_Maxwell

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:26 AM

Is there really such a thing as "point zero zero 2 dollars". Wouldn't that read out $.002.00? Monetary (sp?) values can only have one decmial point. Wouldn't saying two one-thousandths of a dollar make more sense? Don't get me wrong, I think the guy is right but still.

#22 2poor   Luckless CAGiversary!   5678 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:00 AM

Is there really such a thing as "point zero zero 2 dollars". Wouldn't that read out $.002.00? Monetary (sp?) values can only have one decmial point. Wouldn't saying two one-thousandths of a dollar make more sense? Don't get me wrong, I think the guy is right but still.

.002 (two one-thousandths) of a dollar =/= (does not equal) .002 (two one-thousandths) of a cent

1 dollar x .002 = .002 of a dollar

1 cent x .002 = .002 of a cent

To convert .002 of a cent to dollars divide by 100 . You get .00002 (two ten-thousandths) of a dollar.

It would have been correct to say two ten-thousandths of a dollar not two one-thousandths of a dollar.

#23 Mr.Answer   want a spatula? CAGiversary!   1512 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Mr.Answer

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:09 AM

slap

Sometimes the beauty of the world is so overwhelming, I just want to throw back my head and gargle. Just gargle and gargle, and I don't care who hears me, because I am beautiful.

#24 eldad9   Join Date: Jun 2002 CAGiversary!   3958 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:22 AM

Is there really such a thing as "point zero zero 2 dollars"[?]

Yes. It's a number followed by a unit.

Wouldn't that read out $.002.00?

No. That makes no sense, because you have a number with two decimal points in different places.

Monetary values can only have one decmial point.

Of course; like all numbers.

Wouldn't saying two one-thousandths of a dollar make more sense?

It would make exactly the same amount of sense.

#25 creid   Dead For The Summer CAGiversary!   6777 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

Did I hear "They're both the same, if you look at them on paper-wise"?

#26 defiance_17   You're bastard people. CAGiversary!   2370 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

defiance_17

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

Verizon is probably hiring. I'll forward your name for you.

755024.png

#27 horrido   CAG Probation CAGiversary!   380 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:47 PM

Is this authentic? Sounds a bit staged.

#28 2poor   Luckless CAGiversary!   5678 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:44 PM

Verizon is probably hiring. I'll forward your name for you.

How do we know he doesn't work for them already?

#29 Duo_Maxwell   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5752 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Duo_Maxwell

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:01 PM

.002 (two one-thousandths) of a dollar =/= (does not equal) .002 (two one-thousandths) of a cent

1 dollar x .002 = .002 of a dollar

1 cent x .002 = .002 of a cent

To convert .002 of a cent to dollars divide by 100 . You get .00002 (two ten-thousandths) of a dollar.

It would have been correct to say two ten-thousandths of a dollar not two one-thousandths of a dollar.

I'm guessing math is your strong suit and not reading comprehension. I didn't say the 2 numbers were equal. I just said that saying aloud "point zero zero two dollars" makes little sense. It makes more sense to pronounce it correctly by saying two one-thousandths of a dollar. I urge to reread and use some comprehension skills this time and try to point out to me where I said two on-thousandths of cent equaled two one-thousandths of a dollar. OI even said the guy was right, he just has crappy grammar skills by saying point zero zero two dollars." Now I'm guessing he's saying that because that is the word for word quote for they actually gave (which in turns makes them even more retarded), but if you were for instance doing a professional presentation and actually said aloud "point zero zero two dollars" to explain something I'm sure everyone would give a weird look and probably laugh at you for using the same language a 7th grader would.

Edit: Also just for the sake of correctness, saying two one-thousnadths of dollar itself would be confusing enough, you may as well say two tenths of cent (Ithink that'd be right). My math skills are far from good I admit, but I don't like being called an (in a roundabout manner at least) idiot for something I never even said and you simply misinterpreted.

#30 2poor   Luckless CAGiversary!   5678 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:06 PM

I'm guessing math is your strong suit and not reading comprehension. I didn't say the 2 numbers were equal. I just said that saying aloud "point zero zero two dollars" makes little sense. It makes more sense to pronounce it correctly by saying two one-thousandths of a dollar. I urge to reread and use some comprehension skills this time and try to point out to me where I said two on-thousandths of cent equaled two one-thousandths of a dollar. OI even said the guy was right, he just has crappy grammar skills by saying point zero zero two dollars." Now I'm guessing he's saying that because that is the word for word quote for they actually gave (which in turns makes them even more retarded), but if you were for instance doing a professional presentation and actually said aloud "point zero zero two dollars" to explain something I'm sure everyone would give a weird look and probably laugh at you for using the same language a 7th grader would.

How else was he going to convey it to them? They can't even do basic math. They would've been on the phone for hours trying to figure out what "two one-thousandths" of a dollar was.