Name That Console: The Next Generation!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
As heard on CAGcast #55!
Can you tell the difference between the Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 startup/disc spinning noises?
Time to find out!
[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/nextnameconsole.mp3[/media]
Answers:
1) PS3
2) Wii
3) Xbox 360

Digg This!

That highlights what is probably the 360's greatest weakness. In comparison it sounds like an airplane taking off. And I'm supposed to watch a movie on my 360 with super-high detail 5.1 sound and not notice that roar?

But in comparison to the PS3's main weakness-no shack-fu-in' games, the roar is nothing.

Dear Lord, I almost fell off my seat when the 360 started up. I was waiting for the airplane roar, and it came in with perfect comedic timing.

Oh, and first was PS3, second Wii, third, of course, 360.

I couldn't tell the difference between the Wii and PS3, but of course I knew the 360 when I heard it - jesus!

I don't have a 360 myself, but I have heard if there is no disc in the console, that it is pretty quiet and that almost all of the noise is the drive spinning. Not sure if that is true or not.

Also, I have heard that if the PS3 is in enclosed cabinet, like an audio/video cabinet with glass doors, that is is loud as hell b/c the fan really starts cranking.

[quote name='lebowsky']I couldn't tell the difference between the Wii and PS3, but of course I knew the 360 when I heard it - jesus!

I don't have a 360 myself, but I have heard if there is no disc in the console, that it is pretty quiet and that almost all of the noise is the drive spinning. Not sure if that is true or not.[/quote]

That is true. If the console isn't reading a disc, it isn't all the loud. Of course, when it is reading a disc, your neighbors are going to hear it!

I got the answers correct. PS3 is the only one of those I don't have, but it was easy to tell what the Wii and 360 sound like.

Is there one like this for PS2/GC/Xbox, or at least one of those? I didnt really know any...but when I heard the last one I guessed it was the 360 due to its super loud noise...although i didn't think it'd be THAT loud.

Ok i got it right, cheapy gave away the 1st one when he turned it off, u can here the distinict beep the ps3 makes. the wii is just quiet. and on the 360 next time i can't afford to fly anywhere i'll just sit beside me 360 and close my eyes it will be like flying southwest

I had trouble with the firsst two, but as soon as I heard the Airplane take off I knew with out a doubt which one #3 was.

I got them all right despite not owning any of them or even having heard them before. I think that proves that people have been discussing the next gen down to every last little detail so that even the respective noise levels are part of the discussion. Kind of crazy when you think about it. And holy crap is the 360 loud.

I only own a Wii and so I only recognized that one. I've heard both the PS3 and the 360 can be loud, but I honestly had no idea the 360's death roar was so soul-crushing, gastrointestinally compromising, and out and out evil. My lord. Does it come with ear plugs? I wouldn't allow pets or children near that thing for fear they'd be sucked into the prop wash. Christ.

Ummm...yeah the 360 I recognized right away. Holy Jesus that thing was scary. I laughed coz I was like, yep....that's the usual sound I hear when I try to watch a damn movie. Anyone know if Microsoft will someday fix that loud turbine?

ps3, wii, xbox360

the loudest is 360, then the ps3 cause of booting up with harddrive and wii is almost silence cause i have all three and play them everyday.

[quote name='Billservo']The Wii's telltale reading "clicks" gives it away.[/QUOTE]
I agree, thought something was wrong with mine at first.

I only have a Wii but I got em all right. I heard the ps3 was super quiet and the 360 loud but jeez thats nuts. I am not going to get a ps3 even thought I have a ps2. I am am going to get a 360 sooner or later but I am really glad I held off. I am praying that they fix the noise on thier supposed major spring revision. I want a 360 not a jet in my living room!

Wow the 360 is loud. I want a 360 but I think I will wait until they change drive mfgs. I assume they will based on the Xbox and the 3 different drives used in it. I would like a samsung drive please.

I spoiled it and read the answers before I listened. Haha. But it was easy to figure out.

- The Xbox 360 was quite loud. But I'm sure the sounds of a 5.1 stereo system would drown the noise out.

- The Wii was easy to tell since I have one. The clicking sound was a give away. Other than that, quite silent.

- I was surprised that the PS3 was relatively silent. But to me, it kinda sounded like someone was knocking on the inside of the console. Trying to find out a way out of the gigantic grill. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a person in every PS3 trying to get out. Maybe that's why its in short supply - not enough people.

i think its hilarious how the 360 was the only one i could here clearly,
My ps3 is louder then my 360 i think

and anybody should realize the clicky click of the Wii
and the sobs from not supporting anything higher the 480p.

[quote name='Deadpool']I always thought my 360 sounded like a Jetta. Yours is insanly louder! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Fixed. ;)

I got the order right (the 360 does NOT clunk, so it's obviously not the first), but I'm pretty sure my 360 isn't nearly that loud... I don't have any issues with it drowning out games. Granted lately I've been smacking drug addicts with signs and papercutter blades, but...

[quote name='Don Wuebos']i think its hilarious how the 360 was the only one i could here clearly,
My ps3 is louder then my 360 i think

and anybody should realize the clicky click of the Wii
and the sobs from not supporting anything higher the 480p.[/QUOTE]
Maybe you should return it then, mine is almost silent....

I heard John Davison talking about a LOUD PS3 on 1up Yours last week. It seems he had it in an enclosed space and when the fan kicked on it sounded louder than the 360! Can anyone confirm this?

PS3, Wii, 360

The PS3 hard drive gives it away. That 60gbs spinning up and searching for info is a dead give away.
The wii makes almost no noise so it was kinda easy to guess. Its also the smallest, and from the pics I've seen it only has one 40mm fan.
The 360 I own one so I know what it sounds like.

Ok, the 360 is loud when the mic is pointed at it, but if youre watching a movie, or playing a game, it really isn't that audible (unless, of course, you're doing either activity without your sound on)

bread's done
Back