What kind of connections are these? (TV related)

Diiz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
We have this older widescreen HDTV in our house that has some odd connections in the back. I am basically trying to figure out how to hook up my Xbox 360, Wii and PS2 to it but don't know what any of these inputs are or if it is even possible. Being able to play in widescreen would be friggin awesome, and I wouldn't have to buy a new TV if I can get this one to work. Anyone have any info/advice? Thanks in advance!!

tv003us1.jpg

tv001xg0.jpg

for a second, I was going to say BNC......but that would be an extremly expensive set for that size with those connectors.

[quote name='ITDEFX']for a second, I was going to say BNC......but that would be an extremly expensive set for that size with those connectors.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, interesting because my dad mentioned something about BNC when I was asking him about it. What does that mean?

[quote name='ITDEFX']for a second, I was going to say BNC......but that would be an extremly expensive set for that size with those connectors.[/quote]

:lol: Plus BNC aren't used for commercial connectors. Never seen them used outside industrial stuff.

[quote name='Diiz']Hmmm, interesting because my dad mentioned something about BNC when I was asking him about it. What does that mean?[/quote]
Those look like BNC... but the bayonet in the middle doesn't look right.

So what do I need to do to hook stuff up to it? What is BNC? Can I play my 360, Wii and PS2 on it?? Hahaha.

[quote name='Diiz']So what do I need to do to hook stuff up to it? What is BNC? Can I play my 360, Wii and PS2 on it?? Hahaha.[/quote]

BNC means Bayonet Navy Connector. They're not what's in the back of your TV, though. I'm not quite sure what they are exactly, though, sorry.

That is a regular Tube screen with a RGB outlet. Personally I have seen those before and man the picture looks as if it is poping at you like 3d glasses only without the glasses.

If you have RGB just mess around with it and I am sure you will get the picture right. Otherwise the VGA thing will work out great also but will not be as powerfull as full RGB.

[quote name='6669']yep, component[/QUOTE]

Actually, I was wrong :oops: kind of. They're component, but like everyone's been saying, its some kind of wierd connection rather than just a regular plug.

Hmmm... looks like I am getting mixed reports. I just don't wanna hook something up and fuck anything up because I don't know what the hell I'm doing :lol:

[quote name='Diiz']So I'd need to order like 9 of those things then? :lol:[/quote]

yes, thats why i said it would be a pain.

[quote name='orntar']yes, thats why i said it would be a pain.[/QUOTE]

Haha hmmm... so really I would only be able to hook up my 360 to it since I don't have component cables for the Wii or PS2. Is that thing on the far right for VGA? Maybe I could hook up my 360 that way, get component cables for the Wii and hook that up too. The PS2 might just have to sit out in the cold for a while.

[quote name='Diiz']Haha hmmm... so really I would only be able to hook up my 360 to it since I don't have component cables for the Wii or PS2. Is that thing on the far right for VGA? Maybe I could hook up my 360 that way, get component cables for the Wii and hook that up too. The PS2 might just have to sit out in the cold for a while.[/quote]
it appears to be a "vga connector" but i would be leary of it, because it is labeled "multi"

however you could test it with a pc or something. no harm should come from connecting videop signals to any of these connections. in the source select on the set is there "in 1" "in 2" and "multi in" or something like that?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Actually, I was wrong :oops: kind of. They're component, but like everyone's been saying, its some kind of wierd connection rather than just a regular plug.[/QUOTE]
The "P" ones are, but I didnt bother to look at the rest.

Definitely BNC connectors...

As for the VGA port... It may be called multi because you need two sources, the video and the audio. I don't know what kind of audio connector that is, though. It looks like it should be a standard 1/8" stereo jack.

PS. That TV is archaic. :lol:

Yeah, it's a friggin beast... akin to an ancient catapult or something, while you guys are running around with handheld nukes. BUT, if it can display my 360 and Wii in widescreen HD, I am more than satisfied. I currently just have a standard 20" TV, so pretty much anything is an upgrade :lol:

I'm probably gonna just order some of those adapters to try and at least get my 360 and Wii set up. Now I just need to find out how the hell to hook up my cable to this hulk and I'm all set.

It doesn't have a standard coax in?

Hmmm... My guess would be to get a cable box with component cables.

[quote name='ITDEFX']whats the make and model number of this beast so we can look up the pdf manual (if one was ever made).[/quote]

Dont bother. I already found the manual ...

cuneiform-intro.jpg

:lol:

[quote name='ITDEFX']whats the make and model number of this beast so we can look up the pdf manual (if one was ever made).[/QUOTE]

Good question, I'll try and find out.

[quote name='Diiz']Make: JVC
Model: HV-M300VSU (might be O's)
Chassis: H05F-2 (might be an O)

Manufactured in October of 1998 :lol:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/list_price.jsp?model_id=MDL100107
Suggested list price* for this model: $4,519.00

* Model discontinued. Last available price shown :rofl:

edit: ah here we go, a pdf on this model: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/color_broch.jsp?model_id=MDL100107&feature_id=12[/QUOTE]

AHHHHHH HA!!!!!!!!!!! BNC!!!!!

either someone in your family was uber rich back then or they were doing video
work that required such high end inputs. Damn i never thought I would see
a cagger with a BNC tv trying to use it for a gaming system :|

My dad used to run a DVD review site, and I think that this TV was sent to him so he could review it (they used to send him projectors, screens, and studios would send him thousands of movies).

Nothing wrong with me trying to get this up as a gaming TV! I can't afford an LCD or plasma so I've gotta work with what I've got! :lol:

I wonder if a place like Frys would have those adapters. Maybe I'll swing by tomorrow after class.

Oooh, looks like they have them on the website... hopefully they have 'em in store.

[quote name='Diiz']I wonder if a place like Frys would have those adapters. Maybe I'll swing by tomorrow after class.

Oooh, looks like they have them on the website... hopefully they have 'em in store.[/QUOTE]

Radio Shack maybe?

How about just getting one set of adapters and running to something like the Pelican System Selector Pro? Then you could hook everything up through that. Just a thought, never heard of these connectors before.

[quote name='bmsdaddy']How about just getting one set of adapters and running to something like the Pelican System Selector Pro? Then you could hook everything up through that. Just a thought, never heard of these connectors before.[/QUOTE]

BNC's aren't widely used for video game set ups.

[quote name='ITDEFX']BNC's aren't widely used for video game set ups.[/QUOTE]

But if you could do component to BNC, then you could hook everything to the system selector through component and that to the TV through BNC.

Don't go through the bother, unless you like playing everything in 480p or 480i. The resolution on that TV in the specs page is 800 x 600, so it's very unlikely it'll go to 1080i. 480i/480p is a guess, though if you plan to buy those BNC-to-RCA connectors, buy them from somewhere where you can return them without issue.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']But if you could do component to BNC, then you could hook everything to the system selector through component and that to the TV through BNC.[/QUOTE]

still its a LOT of trouble to go through just to get HD gaming on that tv.

Your better off with something easier.

The BNC ends would just go on the TV, it could be regular component to the console/DVD player

The "multi" is a vga, get some VGA cables and try your 360

It supports 480p, good enough for DVD and PS2

I hooked up my Xbox and it lets me set up the console in 1080i, but not 1080p. Now I just need to know how to get sound!! Anyone able to help me out on that? :lol:

I bought the adapters from Frys, so they will be easy to return if necessary.

bread's done
Back