Japanese Kids Show (How Dumb We Are)

Blaine

CAGiversary!
Fascinated by the Rube Goldbergian contraptions on the Japanese children's show Pitagor Suichi (Pythagoras' Switch) I decided to download and watch some. After seeing a few episodes it becomes pretty apparant why the US is lagging behind so many other countries in education.

It's a kid's show, puppets and what not. Wanna know what it's about, though? Learning. Not about learning to share, care, cooperate, accept other people and be nice. But learning how shit works, why things are built the way they are. I mean ACTUAL learning. And this isn't like Mr. Wizard specifically or anything, this is a show for little little kids. The ones they show are 4, 5 and so on. This is thier Barney.

I'm not totally knocking the softy soft approach to American children's tv. I'm sure there's some better shows out there that I'm not aware and a lot to be said for teaching people early on in life not to suck.

That said, I'm a grown and educated man and some of the stuff they were showing was genuinly interesting. Hell, some of it was fascinating.

The crap that is on TV when I'm flipping through like The Wiggles and The Doodlebops and what ever the hell else those things are, are just flashy color opium to stiffle little kids.

When I have children, I think we're gonna spend a little less time learning why its mostest fun to share toys and a little more learning about why the bullet train has a pointy nose.

Thanks for listening.

[quote name='Blaine']When I have children, I think we're gonna spend a little less time learning why its mostest fun to share toys and a little more learning about why the bullet train has a pointy nose.[/quote]

Perhaps you can teach them grammar, too.

well the japanese people arent having enough children, so soon we wont have to worry about them being smarter than us because they are just goin to die out

There's a big difference between social interaction in the US and the Education in Japan. If you throw one student from K-12 from here over there and vice versa it's completely different learning environments. We teach to function and learn as a group whereas they focus on the textbook learning of the individual.

[quote name='Magehart']We teach to function and learn as a group whereas they focus on the textbook learning of the individual.[/quote]
While I respect the concept that a group of well organized morons can simply overpower a single smart person... I'm gonna stick with learning about static electricity is better than not hurting someone's feelings.

It's a lot easier to pretend to be nice, than to pretend to be smart.

[quote name='boo']Perhaps you can teach them grammar, too.[/quote]

I have the leastest idea what you're talking about.

[quote name='Blaine']While I respect the concept that a group of well organized morons can simply overpower a single smart person... I'm gonna stick with learning about static electricity is better than not hurting someone's feelings.

It's a lot easier to pretend to be nice, than to pretend to be smart.[/QUOTE]

People skills are infinitely more important in countless facets of life than technical skills. I am not defending or criticizing childrens entertainment of any region because I am not familiar with it, but to say that knowledge of why a bullet train had a pointy nose or how static electricity works is more important than how to get along with others is absurd.

[quote name='Blaine']Fascinated by the Rube Goldbergian contraptions on the Japanese children's show Pitagor Suichi (Pythagoras' Switch) I decided to download and watch some. After seeing a few episodes it becomes pretty apparant why the US is lagging behind so many other countries in education.

It's a kid's show, puppets and what not. Wanna know what it's about, though? Learning. Not about learning to share, care, cooperate, accept other people and be nice. But learning how shit works, why things are built the way they are. I mean ACTUAL learning. And this isn't like Mr. Wizard specifically or anything, this is a show for little little kids. The ones they show are 4, 5 and so on. This is thier Barney.

I'm not totally knocking the softy soft approach to American children's tv. I'm sure there's some better shows out there that I'm not aware and a lot to be said for teaching people early on in life not to suck.

That said, I'm a grown and educated man and some of the stuff they were showing was genuinly interesting. Hell, some of it was fascinating.

The crap that is on TV when I'm flipping through like The Wiggles and The Doodlebops and what ever the hell else those things are, are just flashy color opium to stiffle little kids.

When I have children, I think we're gonna spend a little less time learning why its mostest fun to share toys and a little more learning about why the bullet train has a pointy nose.

Thanks for listening.[/quote]

Too bad the japanese dont have a creative side. Otherwise they'd be creating things, instead of just making better versions of what we've concieved. Sounds like you dont have pride in your country. Now I'm not a Bush voting hick, but I love my country and to say that their kids are smarter than us is retarded. We've got so many damn brilliant minds in america... you dont realize that?

Just because it shows a 3 year old how a clock works, doesnt mean they understand jack about a clock. Try descibing quantum physics to a 9 year old. And them have them repeat it. Then, when you've told them enough that they know a lot of the theories by heart... have them apply it.

I dunno, I went off on a tangent, but I hate people saying americans are stupider than the rest of the world, or some other country. Cause since the 1900's, we've lead the world in innovation.

Airplanes, computers, TV, video games, microwaves, the internet... the list goes on.

[quote name='Diiz']but to say that knowledge of why a bullet train had a pointy nose or how static electricity works is more important of how to get along with others is absurd.[/quote]

...why?

Every piece of evidence points to the overall education of the American population declining. Have you seen a single study or survey or anything in your lifetime where we've improved? At all? It's not like I actively monitor it, but I have never heard anything positive.

Are all of these studies culturally biased because they focus on "science" and "math" instead of "how to get along with others"? I'm genuinely asking, because apparantly we suck at science and math.

It's like we're falling from a cliff, flapping our arms and saying "what we're doing is working!" because we haven't slammed into the ground yet.

Maybe we need to examine our thinking about what is actually important?

Dumb but cooperative isn't a goal for a society.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Airplanes, computers, TV, video games, microwaves, the internet... the list goes on.[/quote]
Computers, TV, Video Games... you know I'm talking about Japan, right?

Aside from the easy crack that most of those things are made in Asia, American Businesses do a lot of research because we have a lot of money - but who is doing the research?

You think it's all American kids? The cream of the Japanese, Chinese, Indian, European and what have you crop are coming the US because that's where the research is being done. It's where the money is.

Beyond that, I'm also talking about every day stupidity. The fact that people can't make change, locate their state on a map or read a book.

The ability to COMPREHEND, to think. Learning how a watch does or doesn't work isn't important. But it's teaching the child to rationalize and to understand.

That's what I'm talking about.

[quote name='Diiz']People skills are infinitely more important in countless facets of life than technical skills. I am not defending or criticizing childrens entertainment of any region because I am not familiar with it, but to say that knowledge of why a bullet train had a pointy nose or how static electricity works is more important than how to get along with others is absurd.[/quote]

Thank you Diiz! That's what I blanked out on. The Social Interaction doesn't just encourage the people skills it encourages thinking outside the box. While our shows are indeed more childish it stimulates the IMAGINATION. While i'm all in favor of the discovery channel... watching it every single day hour after hour would make a world of mindless textbooks running around. My brother is like this and it's absurd to think how he could function in society when a comptuer can do what he does.

[quote name='Blaine']

It's a kid's show, puppets and what not. Wanna know what it's about, though? Learning. Not about learning to share, care, cooperate, accept other people and be nice. But learning how shit works, why things are built the way they are. I mean ACTUAL learning. And this isn't like Mr. Wizard specifically or anything, [/QUOTE]

The thing is in our society we have all kinds of people and the thing is that in real life parents do not teach there kids anything at all besides hate and more hate. The hate is so strong that we leave our kids with nannies.

Also on that note Japnes Students if the parents can afford it send there children to school away. This is why it is common to see people losing there virginity all over the place. It is like me telling my daughter or son that hey your a big person now so go out in the world and be sombody.

In real life we are adults at 16 if you did not know. In fact the truth is if your not working towards being a famous whatever or whatever you want to be by then you will be nothing or have a whole lot to deal with.

Think about in our scoiety we go out on our own when we go to college. That is like horrible a good chunk never really makes it past the High School era and I am sure we all have seen that one person who said
"High School is too hard" when in truth the person never made it past the first year.

Then in colloge people get drunk, catch AIDS, get killed, or even become bancrupt. When a Japanese student graduates they already have a job/carrer
waiting for them.

When I gaduate unless I am in a club of some sort I will not be having any job and if it is a job then it will be selling the stuff some Asian Scumbag made. Yeah that right all our work is just advertment for there crap. Everybody in Amerika is a sellout.

For crips sakes how could everything go along faster I mean how? I will tell you freedom and happiness of that freedom. Also they do things like we did back in the eighties or ninties only using computers limited.

I mean they learn how to use the programs I want to use and learn when they are in HIghs School but we pay like friiggin arm and a leg just to learn these dickless porgrams.

I'm not totally knocking the softy soft approach to American children's tv.

Well it is true don't deny it. America is a big lie and time waster. It is so sad for me to say that of the place that I am born in but is true. There is no reason for anybody to go to amerika.

Unless your like this Indian guy in my class who is four years younger then me who needs classes to get a job when in his country he already had the job but it pays pennies. This guy should be working now and I still have never had a job.

Ameika to hell with Amerika. I hate this country more then any other. Nobody loves anybody here it is just a bunch of soup pot turtles, eels, and crabs. We all can'tget a long so they cook us together. I hate this langauge the most that I speak and remember so well. I mean why oh why should I remember something so terrible.

Back on topic hey guess what we hate each other duh people that is why AMerica is so soft. by the time little timmy becomes sixteen years old he will have a huge record and taxes that will be taken out of his first pay.

Why do we have taxes in our paycheck? The truth is that we can't trust eachother to give each other our fair share of work. That is why so we tax the moron public. FYI people we want to kill ourselfs and we want to do it alot.
Amerika is the most fooled populous in the world.

We are fighting dumb war after another thanks to our paper back goverment. We are not winning any wars because nobody wants to fight but the thing is hey the figure lay low for a coupld of years and then checkout.

Then again there is bumbs in Japan....but at least they sleep peceful and neat while unlike Amerikan bums we drag em out and have them fight each other and then release them like wild animals.

At least I am not in no fight back europe:bouncy:

[quote name='Blaine']
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I know a show that's even worse. My cousin loves some show called Caillou and it's about this kid that's whines and complains if he doesn't get his way. What a great message to be sending to kids.

:roll:

Yes, just because the Japanese focus less on social interaction means that they're all anti social.

Amercian schools are now about teaching acceptance instead of something useful. There is so much wrong with the American school system, I could go at it for about 10 pages.

The OP is right, American TV for kids is mind rotting trash that only the most basic intillect could apreciate... just like American TV for adults.

--starts wondering how long it'll take to create a course to obtain a degree in Bestfriends-For-Everology.

[quote name='RegalSin2020']
Ameika to hell with Amerika. I hate this country more then any other. Nobody loves anybody here it is just a bunch of soup pot turtles, eels, and crabs. We all can'tget a long so they cook us together. I hate this langauge the most that I speak and remember so well. I mean why oh why should I remember something so terrible.

Back on topic hey guess what we hate each other duh people that is why AMerica is so soft. by the time little timmy becomes sixteen years old he will have a huge record and taxes that will be taken out of his first pay.

Why do we have taxes in our paycheck? The truth is that we can't trust eachother to give each other our fair share of work. That is why so we tax the moron public. FYI people we want to kill ourselfs and we want to do it alot.
Amerika is the most fooled populous in the world.

We are fighting dumb war after another thanks to our paper back goverment. We are not winning any wars because nobody wants to fight but the thing is hey the figure lay low for a coupld of years and then checkout.

Then again there is bumbs in Japan....but at least they sleep peceful and neat while unlike Amerikan bums we drag em out and have them fight each other and then release them like wild animals. [/quote]

Just do us all a favor and get the fuck out of our country now. You speak so negatively of America but when you take a look at yourself you ahve to wonder why? Maybe it's just your so pessimistic and cannot realize all the great freedoms and liberties you have. Go spend a month in Mexico, not TJ or Cancun, but REAL Mexico. Then ask yourself again if you hate America.

(Pst... flaming a troll only makes you look stupid.)

[quote name='Magehart']Just do us all a favor and get the fuck out of our country now. You speak so negatively of America but when you take a look at yourself you ahve to wonder why? Maybe it's just your so pessimistic and cannot realize all the great freedoms and liberties you have. Go spend a month in Mexico, not TJ or Cancun, but REAL Mexico. Then ask yourself again if you hate America.[/quote]

[quote name='Strell']Chill, Magehart. There is bumbs in Japan.

I think we can all agree to that.[/quote]

Okay. I shall agree to Bumbs in Japan.

[quote name='Magehart']Just do us all a favor and get the fuck out of our country now. You speak so negatively of America but when you take a look at yourself you ahve to wonder why? Maybe it's just your so pessimistic and cannot realize all the great freedoms and liberties you have. Go spend a month in Mexico, not TJ or Cancun, but REAL Mexico. Then ask yourself again if you hate America.[/quote]

Yes, I hate America for letting all of those 'real Mexicans' come over here and piss all over our way of life and bitch about descrimination when anyone complains.

Mexico is a nice place to live and you can get a job est there however the problem that people do not see is that they speak Spanish in Mexico. Also there is mulitple countries in Mexico it is not just the whole of Mexico like the whole of America..

Also some of the most expensive properties in the world is in Mexico along with colleges and development lab.

On that note if you ever want to study medicine you need to go to Cuba and Mexico itself has tons of labs.

[quote name='Kayden']:roll:

Yes, just because the Japanese focus less on social interaction means that they're all anti social. [/quote]

Someone hasnt been to Japan. Its not like anime. These people are some of the most anti-social, repressed people in the world. Check it out sometime.

[quote name='Magehart']Go spend a month in Mexico, not TJ or Cancun, but REAL Mexico. Then ask yourself again if you hate America.[/quote]

I've lived in "real Mexico" and it's fabulous. The scenery, traditions, weather, food, everything is fabulous. What you're really referring to as the "real Mexico" are the parts of it that are equivalent to the burroughs in NYC like Queens etc. That's dumb. That's like telling foreigners they know nothing about freedom and America's people until they've lived in Queens. Dumb.

I'll say one more thing about Mexico. Don't diss it. They are very much like Europeans in the sense that they work to live a certain lifestyle but not live to work like Americans. In other words, they are only going to work as much as they have to to get the things they want. They have 2 - 3 hour lunches, value their intellectuals, have think tanks, and some of their most famous artists/poets/educators choose to remain in Mexico because of their pride for their country. It's a great place.

And so is America, respectively. Hey, different strokes for different folks.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Someone hasnt been to Japan. Its not like anime. These people are some of the most anti-social, repressed people in the world. Check it out sometime.[/QUOTE]

That is not so. In Anime they know each other by appearance. It is like me going to work and I get to know my Co-workers

In Japan you can freely go about talking to people the question is why are you going to talk with them or your purpose for talking with them.

Does this really matter? The last time I checked the place for learning was school. Also, where do the parents come into the equation? I think it's much better for parents to sit down with their kids and help them out with things such as science and math, rather than rely on TV to do it for them.

TV is here for nothing more than entertainment. If shows are able to teach kids a little something extra like getting a long with each other, then even better.

[quote name='Diiz']People skills are infinitely more important in countless facets of life than technical skills. I am not defending or criticizing childrens entertainment of any region because I am not familiar with it, but to say that knowledge of why a bullet train had a pointy nose or how static electricity works is more important than how to get along with others is absurd.[/QUOTE]but the fact that we need television to teach social skills is a reflection of the bad job parents are doing to raise their kids.

not to mention, social interaction is something that should come natural to people and our willingness and ability to get along with people will come from out experience. And in times of failure towards expressing correct social skills, let it be our parents and teachers to correct us.

as much of a people's person I can be, will it stop people from disliking me? Will it stop me from disliking anybody? Will it stop me from getting into fights and arguments with the people I bond close relationships with?? Of course not, and barney isn't going to teach kids how to handle those situations as well.

even if television will teach us something trivial such as static or bullet trains, the fact that we as kids had to expand out minds a bit to incorporate that piece of info into ourselves would definately help out our thought process in the future.

[quote name='JEKKI']but the fact that we need television to teach social skills is a reflection of the bad job parents are doing to raise their kids.

not to mention, social interaction is something that should come natural to people and our willingness and ability to get along with people will come from out experience. And in times of failure towards expressing correct social skills, let it be our parents and teachers to correct us.

as much of a people's person I can be, will it stop people from disliking me? Will it stop me from disliking anybody? Will it stop me from getting into fights and arguments with the people I bond close relationships with?? Of course not, and barney isn't going to teach kids how to handle those situations as well.

even if television will teach us something trivial such as static or bullet trains, the fact that we as kids had to expand out minds a bit to incorporate that piece of info into ourselves would definately help out our thought process in the future.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for posterity. Jekki is using the English fucking language. Behold.

Now "smart" is a relative term. Each year polling places (gallup , for instance) like to take surveys in which they compare American knowledge of pop culture and current events. In short, more people know the seven dwarves, the three stooges, and who hit the most home runs on the 1972 Baltimore Orioles than know who the current secretary of defense is, who the vice president is, or who the president of Pakistan is. Now, does that mean Americans are stupid? Of course not; stupid people wouldn't know anything. Not even the Three Stooges. What it shows, and something that the OP ignores, is that the United States is a leisure nation; while we're somewhat studious, being an intellectual won't get you social accolade as much as an awesome batting swing will. That's fine, because that's who we have chosen to be.

In the end, Japan's economic philosophy with regard to capitalism is far different from the United States approach (I believe they call it "Keiretsu" capitalism); a corollary of that is that US businesses feel no obligation to create US jobs, maintain US jobs, or elevate the standard of living for their employees (compared to the obligation to make as much money as motherfucking possible). As a result, job patterns in the US become a self-fulfilling prophecy: high job turnover and low promotion occurs, and people are not interested in education. Well, of course not, because it's not going to get you very far (though the opposite has happened, as economically, a bachelor's degree gets you as far as a high school diploma did 50 years ago).

Is the US culturally anti-intellectual? You bet your sweet ass. Is it because of children's programming? Not on your life. I've seen some Japanese children's programming, and it was fascinating (they were discussing the various subgroups of the UN, such as UNICEF and UNESCO, that most adult-age US citizens couldn't identify). However, if you feel that there are deficiences in what your child watches on TV, and you blame the TV, or the culture, then you're going to be a lousy parent anyway. Go buy your child a fucking book if you don't like the TV.

[quote name='mykevermin']Quoted for posterity. Jekki is using the English fucking language. Behold.
[/QUOTE]

Slidecage and Regalsin for the trifecta....

[quote name='Strell']Slidecage and Regalsin for the trifecta....[/quote]

I like to pick up my Strell Mii (Strellmy?) in the Mii Plaza because I imagine the frantic gran mal the characters perform is exactly how one would behave had they lobsters in thier pants.

[quote name='Blaine']I like to pick up my Strell Mii (Strellmy?) in the Mii Plaza because I imagine the frantic gran mal the characters perform is exactly how one would behave had they lobsters in thier pants.[/QUOTE]

Hah! This is true, but the facial expression wouldn't remain so....stoic.

I watched a program on PBS a while ago on how American education is falling behind European and Asian countries.

However, I was educated early on in a socialist country, and I must say that these comparisons are deceptive. Socialist education typically eschews "gifted and talented" classes as a result of the "tall poppy" phenomenon (when mowing a lawn, the tallest poppies will be chopped off first, likewise in socialist classrooms the smart enthusiastic students get chopped down so that the entire class can move forward as a group). The best students in America still do better then the best students anywhere else, and investing in the young intellectuals [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]pays big dividends down the line. Genius and creativity is usually stifled in socialist countries, in comparison American schools and businesses are setup to encourage it to flourish (there are exceptions, such as the car industry, but these deficiencies are mostly due to political corruption)

[quote name='mykevermin']... if you feel that there are deficiencies in what your child watches on TV, and you blame the TV, or the culture, then you're going to be a lousy parent anyway. Go buy your child a fucking book if you don't like the TV.[/QUOTE]

:) Can we end the discussion now?

[quote name='camoor']I watched a program on PBS a while ago on how American education is falling behind European and Asian countries.

However, I was educated early on in a socialist country, and I must say that these comparisons are deceptive. Socialist education typically eschews "gifted and talented" classes as a result of the "tall poppy" phenomenon (when mowing a lawn, the tallest poppies will be chopped off first, likewise in socialist classrooms the smart enthusiastic students get chopped down so that the entire class can move forward as a group). The best students in America still do better then the best students anywhere else, and investing in the young intellectuals pays big dividends down the line. Genius and creativity is usually stifled in socialist countries, in comparison American schools and businesses are setup to encourage it to flourish (there are exceptions, such as the car industry, but these deficiencies are mostly due to political corruption)[/quote]

I don't know, man. I sorta said what I thought and was gonna wait this thread out but - although it's not really my point exactly...

I'm not saying I'm a super genius but 'stiffling' is the only way I can describe how school felt to me. I'm 27 and I still have nightmares that I'm back in school.

A lot of people hate highschool for a variety of reasons, usually social (they weren't cool or popular or what have you), but I loved the social aspect of my school. I'm still friends with a lot of people from High School, although you only see them at weddings and what not. I liked everyone.

But the actual education is what still gives me nightmares. The hoops and homework and recitation. "Spit back what we spit at you or you're wrong". I've never felt less intellectually stimulated or more bored in my life than at school.

Granted, maybe I shouldn't have gone to public school... maybe I should have went to a magnet school or something.

But as much as I love learning (I spend hours on Wikipedia just going from topic to topic), I hate the educational system.

[quote name='Blaine']I don't know, man. I sorta said what I thought and was gonna wait this thread out but - although it's not really my point exactly...

I'm not saying I'm a super genius but 'stiffling' is the only way I can describe how school felt to me. I'm 27 and I still have nightmares that I'm back in school.

A lot of people hate highschool for a variety of reasons, usually social (they weren't cool or popular or what have you), but I loved the social aspect of my school. I'm still friends with a lot of people from High School, although you only see them at weddings and what not. I liked everyone.

But the actual education is what still gives me nightmares. The hoops and homework and recitation. "Spit back what we spit at you or you're wrong". I've never felt less intellectually stimulated or more bored in my life than at school.

Granted, maybe I shouldn't have gone to public school... maybe I should have went to a magnet school or something.

But as much as I love learning (I spend hours on Wikipedia just going from topic to topic), I hate the educational system.[/quote]

I'm assuming you grew up in America - in socialist countries it is actually more conformist and stifling. Every school has the same textbook, every teacher teaches a similar lesson plan, and almost all of the teens have their government-approved future mapped out by the end of highschool.

I agree that the memorization aspect of traditional school life is extremely overdone, but I think most people don't want to be creatively challenged, and the government is only too happy to oblige.

[quote name='Magehart']We teach to function and learn as a group whereas they focus on the textbook learning of the individual.[/QUOTE]

whoa buddy, way off there. You do know that in japan they dont hold children back right? There is an inner and outer group, you identify yourself as being part of the "group" in class and other people are outside of that group(soto). Japan is a very group oriented society, they think in terms of us and we, rather than me or I(as is in America).

For instance, in American schools you almost always have kids who dont put away their lunch trays and vandalize schools but in Japan that doesnt really happen. IIRC i read that in grade school the children clean up after lunch together, a janitor is for maintenance there, not for cleaning up. I can get more specific on this is anyone wants, i have the book somewhere. It was kind of sad though, because i read that and even in college I see trays and garbage left everywhere, so many people dont clean up after themselves.

Also that inner and outer group view may be why some of you seem to percieve Japanese people as anti social. They dont talk to people who are not inside of that group in the same way that they do those outside it. Its the reason why youve heard that theres hundreds of ways for Japanese people to say no. Japanese society tends to avoid disagreement in conversations, so this leads to people being different in public then who they really are once you get to know them well.

[quote name='Blaine']But as much as I love learning (I spend hours on Wikipedia just going from topic to topic), I hate the educational system.[/QUOTE]

This isnt because of the educational system, its because of the way many minds work.

You love to learn, but when you are in the educational system, your objective changes from learning material, to passing the class. The two go hand in hand really, if you learn the material you will most likely pass the class, but since your prime objective is to pass the class, you only learn enough to pass the test.

The grades you get are only supposed to ensure that you learned the material. Thats because if you get a D in Algebra I then you know you arent ready for Algebra II.

Truthfully though, you can get a D in a class and really learn something and you can also get an A and have no fucking clue on what the class was about. So if you really love to learn, just learn it, your grade would hopefully refect it, but if not you still got what you wanted out of the class.

The same would go with video games right? So many of us on CAG have a huge backlog of games to play, which we dont mind since we enjoy gaming. Now if you HAD to play entirely through those games, it would take away from the fun dont you think? Going at your own pace and having fun is what most of us would enjoy.

So with all that said, i love america and i love japan. Both countries are awesome, and i think it would be wrong to say all americans are dumb or all japanese are smart. The japanese work ethic is much stronger no matter how you look at it(look up cram school :x). The system isnt perfect though, they dont focus on history much, which creates tension with other asian countries for obvious reasons.

The US too has problems in the education system, my biggest complaint would have to be lack of geography in the US system. I took a geography class in college, and for a class of 50+ students, it was the first time any of us had taken any sort of geography since "social studies" that most students take in middle school.

I think that was best shown in the Fed Ex commercial where the boss tells the worker to put a tack on China since they now deliver there, and the guy puts it in like 3 different places then tears the map down. Its funny but sad because its true, most people wouldnt be able to find most places on a map, or know what the population of the US is, or explain the difference between central america and latin america, or know that England is not a country but part of the country called the United Kingdom.

In the end though, we all die and all this information is kind of trivial. The amount of home runs by the orioles in 72 will mean just as much as the law of conservation of energy so does it really matter? To each his own i say :p

PS> thanks for reading the wall of text there, none of that information is concrete of course but i did do a presentation on Japanese education for my Japanese Humanities course last year, and can verify the information with more detail if anyone wants, because it certainly is interesting stuff

Of course, this is the same Japanese TV system that produces endless game shows soliciting behavior from contestents one would normally attribute to severe mental derangement.

I think the education system in America is better then that of some asian countries. I have cousins in India and while they do well on their tests, they do not really know much. It seems that all they do there is memorize the information and spit it out for the test and forget about it later. I also find that they do very few projects and don't know how to function well in a group nor do they know how to apply the things which they learn to real life.

[quote name='Diiz']People skills are infinitely more important in countless facets of life than technical skills. I am not defending or criticizing childrens entertainment of any region because I am not familiar with it, but to say that knowledge of why a bullet train had a pointy nose or how static electricity works is more important than how to get along with others is absurd.[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ. America does concentrate on communication way too much. This is why their are no super-scientist from America anymore. Isn't Bush giving incentives to students who choose science as their field of study? I have my bachelor's in Bio/Chem and am working now. However; I found out that I can go back to school for anything science-related and get paid about 20k/year to go back and get my PHD (Albeit, forestry or something lame).

bread's done
Back