Wii in 16x9

WebScud

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Is it not anamorphic? I have to set my display to "Fill".

I changed my TV settings in the Console options...is there something else I'm missing? I going over Nintendo component cables to a Westinghouse LVM-37w3.

[quote name='WebScud']Is it not anamorphic? I have to set my display to "Fill".

I changed my TV settings in the Console options...is there something else I'm missing? I going over Nintendo component cables to a Westinghouse LVM-37w3.[/QUOTE]

think we have the same problem, I posted about it here. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120518

I think its Westinghouse Overscanning the image. "If your wii is set to 480p (16:9 by default) you probably have some overscan issues that can only be fixed in the service menu. The service menu should only be opened by a trained technition."

Fantastic. I also have the same problem with my PS2, so my money is on the TV as well.

This is retarted. The 1080p singal from my PC displays 16x9 under "Standard" without issue.

Ugh. I researched this set so much and head no mention of any issue like this.

How do you access that service menu?

[quote name='WebScud']Fantastic. I also have the same problem with my PS2, so my money is on the TV as well.

This is retarted. The 1080p singal from my PC displays 16x9 under "Standard" without issue.

Ugh. I researched this set so much and head no mention of any issue like this.

How do you access that service menu?[/QUOTE]

not really sure, but if you do it make sure to be careful, you can really fubar the tv if you dont know what you are doing

it will prob be located on http://www.avsforum.com/ somewhere

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']not really sure, but if you do it make sure to be careful, you can really fubar the tv if you dont know what you are doing

it will prob be located on http://www.avsforum.com/ somewhere[/quote]

I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just hoping there is something really obvious there.

[quote name='WebScud']I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just hoping there is something really obvious there.[/QUOTE]

well let me know if you find anything obvious

Red Steel didn't go widescreen on my TV, but Zelda and others that are do... It was weird

I take that back, I have to have the TV set at Widescreen - Full , I have a 42 inch Sony Projection LCD. Going to see what needs fixing.

So no real solutions. The AVS thread was a lot of discussion with no real solution presented. I guess I am just stuck playing the system in Full mode.

[quote name='Tebunker']So no real solutions. The AVS thread was a lot of discussion with no real solution presented. I guess I am just stuck playing the system in Full mode.[/quote]

You're telling me.

It sounds like these Westinghouse panels aren't as fantastic as one would think... :(

[quote name='Drensch']That's what anamorphic is.[/QUOTE]

True, but what most people mean when they say 'anamorphic' in this context is that the TV will tell them it's getting a true widescreen picture (720x480 in this case), and they don't have to use any of the TV's stretch settings.

The Wii, when set to widescreen, outputs at 640x480 using rectangular pixels rather than 'true' widescreen (720x480 square pixels).

My point was that there's no reason for this thread to have turned in a direction that people are messing with service menus. Every single person who has a Wii has to use their TV's widescreen scaling (be it FULL, or THEATERWIDE, or whatever) to actually see the correct widescreen picture - unlike progressive scan DVD players, the Wii does not send a widescreen flag signal that will 'force' a widescreen display.

To summarize: EVERYONE has to display their Wii in 'FILL' mode (or equivalent)

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Should have bought a Olevia or Vizo[/QUOTE]

How would owning a far worse TV fix... anything?

[quote name='gkrykewy']True, but what most people mean when they say 'anamorphic' in this context is that the TV will tell them it's getting a true widescreen picture (720x480 in this case), and they don't have to use any of the TV's stretch settings.

The Wii, when set to widescreen, outputs at 640x480 using rectangular pixels rather than 'true' widescreen (720x480 square pixels).

My point was that there's no reason for this thread to have turned in a direction that people are messing with service menus. Every single person who has a Wii has to use their TV's widescreen scaling (be it FULL, or THEATERWIDE, or whatever) to actually see the correct widescreen picture - unlike progressive scan DVD players, the Wii does not send a widescreen flag signal that will 'force' a widescreen display.

To summarize: EVERYONE has to display their Wii in 'FULL' mode (or equivalent)[/quote]
Exactly. If you set the Wii to Widescreen and let the TV sit with it in a 4:3 box, everything should look very scrunched. Whereas if you "fill" it, it should be just fine, assuming your Fill is an actual stretch-to-fit and not a combination of zooming and other warpings of the image.

I dont' have to adjust those setting on my TV, but I'm guessing it's just detecting it on its own. If I run it through my HD tuner, I have to set it to "fill."

[quote name='gkrykewy']True, but what most people mean when they say 'anamorphic' in this context is that the TV will tell them it's getting a true widescreen picture (720x480 in this case), and they don't have to use any of the TV's stretch settings.

To summarize: EVERYONE has to display their Wii in 'FILL' mode (or equivalent)[/quote]

Ahh, excellent. That was the exact answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Does the PS2 act the same way?

This Westinghouse model does not display Wii 16:9 correctly, even when in fill mode. It basically displays the same amount of the visual field as the 4:3 mode but in an unstretched fashion. An extra inch or so is cut off on both sides of the screen. So 4:3 in standard mode equals 16:9 in fill mode.

and i thought i was the only one having this problem. i have a couple of options for trying to force the image or resizing it to fit the whole screen of my olevia 32" lcd, but none of them exactly fill the whole screen. at the bottom of the image there is about one-half inch or so of space. i've also noticed that depending on how i try to resize image there also is a tiny amount of space on either the right or left side of the image, which i can somewhat balance with the wii's screen position option, but it doesnt quite do enough justice.

I have the Westinghouse 32w6, and it seems some games fill the screen (Zelda, Wii Sports), while others have about an inch of black space on either side (Trauma Center, Rayman). Not a big deal, but it is strange.

I have a 32" Sceptre LCD HDTV and it does the same thing when I run GC games on the Wii in progressive scan at 16:9. It looks like there's an inch cut off from the sides. It doesn't show when I play Wii Sports though.

My question is if you have the Wii set to 16x9 and 480p, and your tv doesn't have fill, but instead a 4:3 mode and a 16x9 mode, and you play a game that is 4x3, will the screen automatically adjust, or will you have to do it from the TV menu? I know that sounded really confusing, but I'm so excited I have my Wii right now.

[quote name='seanr1221']My question is if you have the Wii set to 16x9 and 480p, and your tv doesn't have fill, but instead a 4:3 mode and a 16x9 mode, and you play a game that is 4x3, will the screen automatically adjust, or will you have to do it from the TV menu? I know that sounded really confusing, but I'm so excited I have my Wii right now.[/quote]I think if the game doesn't support 16:9, that the Wii will put out "filler" to fill in the edges of the screen when its 4:3 so that it looks right without you having to dink around with the TV.

Thanks Daroga, I mostly asked because my LCD monitor has component inputs, but no way to change the display to 4:3

P.S. I will send you a wii connect friend thingie when I can, I can't wait to see how this all works

Wii Sports and Zelda perfectly fill my Panasonic Plasma. Rayman has a boarder on the left and right sides. Rayman is also NOT progressive scan and therefore I get underscan because my TV has no overscan.

[quote name='daroga']I think if the game doesn't support 16:9, that the Wii will put out "filler" to fill in the edges of the screen when its 4:3 so that it looks right without you having to dink around with the TV.[/QUOTE]

Ok, my component cables came in today, and I can say for VC and Gamecube games in 4:3 that there is no filler, and it just stretches the picture :/

I can't speak for 4:3 Wii games though, I only have Zelda and Wii Sports.

Rayman is a 4:3 game and it stretches the picture on my TV, so I switched it to 4:3 mode and it looks much better.

One thing that I wish I knew is how my TV remembers that a certain game should make it switch it's aspect ratio. It remembers that every time Rayman starts, that it should be in 4:3 mode... but if I put in Zelda or Madden, it's in wide mode. Strange.

I sold my Wii. There is nothing to play on it, for me, until at least march next year. And no I did no use ebay to scalp. I sold it to a family friend for their grandson for $275...someone who might get more use out of it. Maybe the newer ones next year might fix some of the problems, plus I can get a colored one wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Is it wrong to expect that every Wii game should at least support a widescreen mode (since it's not true 16:9), and support progressive scan?

[quote name='dallow']Is it wrong to expect that every Wii game should at least support a widescreen mode (since it's not true 16:9), and support progressive scan?[/QUOTE]

No not at all, especially on the 480P part, comeon, every xbox game had 480P atleast.

[quote name='seanr1221']No not at all, especially on the 480P part, comeon, every xbox game had 480P atleast.[/QUOTE]

Actually there were a few Xbox games that didn't have 480P support. Kung Fu Chaos for one.

HDTV Arcade listing

[quote name='kmartbum001']yes it is wrong. and yes nintendo will burn in hell. if you're going to do something, don't half ass it.[/QUOTE]

Expect the Nintendobots to flame and crucify you now. But I agree with you.

lol... I don't care what fanboys think about anything. I'm not a fanboy for anything, so i could really, really, really, careless what some nintendo bimbo says.

bread's done
Back