Not open for further replies.

Ugamer_X

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Current Firmware (2.60)

Features of the 2.1X firmware-

Music
You can now select [Type 3] as an option under [Settings] > [Music Settings] > [Bitmapping]. > See details.
A new pattern has been added for the visual player. > See details.

Video
DivX and VC-1 (WMV) have been added to the types of files that can be played. *1
Blu-ray Disc Profile 1.1 is now supported. *2
[BD Data Utility] has been added. *3*1

Game
New for 2.17: System stability during use of some PLAYSTATION®3 format software has been improved.

Contents of previous updates:

Additions under the 2.0X firmware-

Overall
You can now customize the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) icons or background design
You can now create playlists to organize content under [Music] and [Photo]
[Information Board] has been added as a feature under [Network]. PlayStation® related news can be displayed on the XMB™ screen
[PLAYSTATION®Network] has been added as a category in the XMB™ home menu
[Remote Start] has been added as an option under [Remote Play Settings]. A PS3™ system in standby mode can be turned on from a PSP® system used for remote play via the Internet.
New grouping options for the [Group Content] feature have been added to the options menu
New for 2.01: System stability has been improved for some operations, including the use of the Internet browser and (Information Board).
New for 2.01: Functionality of the [Remote Start] feature has been changed to prevent an unintentional remote start. *2

Settings
[Color], [Background], and [Font] have been added as options under [Theme Settings].
You can now select [Brightness] as an option under [Theme Settings] > [Background].
The procedure for setting [Internet Connection Settings] under [Network Settings] has been changed.
You can now select Canon printers with the [Printer Selection] option under [Printer Settings]. For a list of compatible printers, select here.

Game
[Vibration Function] has been added as an option under [Controller Settings] in the menu that is displayed when you press the PS button on a DUALSHOCK®3 wireless controller. *
*Available for purchase in early 2008.
New for 2.01: System stability during output of upscaled PlayStation®2 format software images has been improved.*1
New for 2.01: System stability during use of some PLAYSTATION®3 format software has been improved.

Network
You can now view video content (as a progressive download) as it is being downloaded from PLAYSTATION®Store.
[Trend Micro Web Security for PS3™] has been added as an option under the Internet browser.

Friends
The voice / video chat menu has been changed.
You can now use the PLAYSTATION®Eye camera for voice / video chat.*
* For details on the PLAYSTATION®Eye camera, select here.

Additions under the 1.9X firmware-

Overall
-You can now display an image as the background of XMB™ (XrossMediaBar).
-New for 1.93: The stability of the network connection has been improved.
-[Eject Disc] has been added in the options menu for discs.
-You can now select [Group Content] when changing a file or folder icon.

Settings
-[44.1/88.2/176.4 kHz] has been added as an option in [Audio CD Output Frequency] under [Music Settings].
-Type 2] has been added as an option in [Bitmapping] under [Music Settings].
-[On] has been added as an option in [BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)] under [BD/DVD Settings].
-Upsampled output of audio CDs is now supported.

Video
-The [Image Quality Adjustment] option in the control panel has been changed to [AV Settings].
-You can now play AVCHD-format video files that are saved on Memory Stick™ media or on the hard disk of a video camera.
-You can now operate the (Slow (Back)) and (Frame Reverse) functions when playing video files saved on storage media or on the hard disk.

Game
-New for 1.92: Playability status with the PS3™ system has changed for some PlayStation®2 format titles. To check on the latest status, visit the search site for compatible titles.
-You can now adjust screen display settings while playing PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format software.
-You can now sort games that are saved on the hard disk.

Network
-[Add to Bookmarks] has been added as an option in the [File] menu of the Internet browser.
-You can now enter text directly into text entry fields of Web pages using a USB keyboard.

Friends
-When an avatar is displayed during a voice / video chat, the avatar now moves in response to audio.
-You can now use emoticons when creating messages under [Friends].

Additions under the 1.8X firmware-

Settings
- [BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [BD/DVD Settings].
- [RGB Full Range (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [Display Settings].
- New for 1.81: The method of setting [RGB Full Range (HDMI)] under [Display Settings] has been improved.
- [Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [Display Settings].
- [Bitmapping (Super Audio CD)] has been added as an option under [Music Settings].
- The [Test Camera] option under [Accessory Settings] has been changed to [Camera Device Settings].
- [Printer Settings] has been added.
- [Media Server Connection] has been added as an option under [Network Settings]

Music
- You can now edit CD information.

Photo
- A new type of slideshow display pattern has been added.
- You can now use zoom display for images.
- You can now trim images.

Video
- Super-White and x.v.Color output are now supported.
- Downscaled output of Blu-ray Discs is now supported. When 720p is selected as the video output setting of the PS3™ system, Blu-ray Discs that were recorded in 1080p or 1080i resolution can be played in 720p resolution.

Game
- You can now move copy-prohibited saved data for PlayStation® format software and PlayStation®2 format software to a PS3™ system.

Network
- The options menu items under [Download Management] have been changed.

Friends
- [Display Photo] has been added to the voice / video chat options menu.

Other
- New for 1.81: The stability of the network connection used during gameplay has been improved for some PlayStation®2 format software titles that support online gaming.

Additions under the 1.70 firmware-

Overall
- You can now use the force feedback function of some accessories for use with PlayStation®2 format software. For a list of compatible accessories, select here.
- You can now download PlayStation® format software from PLAYSTATION®Store and play it on the PS3™ system. Some titles can be played on both PS3™ and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems.
You can now download PlayStation® format software and play it on the PS3™ system.

Game
- You can now use saved data from PlayStation® format software on both PS3™ and PSP® systems.

Additions under the 1.60 firmware-

Overall
- Precision Zoom: You can automatically enlarge to optimal viewing size the area on the screen where the pointer is located. By analyzing the Web page source, the system automatically calculates the best enlargement ratio based on the area where the pointer is located.
- Adjusting the resolution: You can adjust Web page size for optimal viewing based on the PS3™ system’s video output resolution. A setting to reduce flickering of the screen when outputting in interlace mode has also been added.
- You can now use a full-size on-screen keyboard to enter text.
- Support for background downloading of data has been added.
- You can now download and use the Folding@home™ program.
- You can now use the remote play feature from a PSP® system via an access point. You can establish a remote play connection with a PS3™ system that is not equipped with the wireless LAN feature (20 GB model)
Support for playback of BD-RE (Blu-ray Disc Rewritable) ver 3.0 has been added.
- The PS3™ system can now automatically detect an HDMI connection to a TV. If the PS3™ system is turned on with an HDMI cable connected, the screen for switching video output settings will be displayed automatically.*

Settings
- Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish, Chinese (Simplified) and Chinese (Traditional) have been added as options in [System Language] under [System Settings].
- You can now select the character set to be used for file names under [System Settings] > [Character Set].
- [Enable WMA Playback] has been added as an option under [System Settings].
- [Disc Auto-Start] has been added as an option under [System Settings].
You can now restore backed up data to another PS3™ system under [System Settings] > [Backup Utility].
- You can now register a keyboard and a mouse under [Accessory Settings] > [Register Bluetooth® Device].
- [Remote Play Settings] has been added as an option.

Music
- Support for playback of DSD (Direct Stream Digital) discs has been added. *

Video
- Motion JPEG and AVCHD (.m2ts) have been added as playable formats.

Network
- [Download Management] has been added as a feature.

Friends
- [Start New Chat]has been added as an option.

Additions under the 1.5X firmware-

Users
- You can now select an image to use as the User icon from [Photo].

Settings
- [Key Tone] has been added as an option under [Sound Settings].
- [Delete Backup Data] has been added as an option under [System Settings] > [Backup Utility].
- WEP 128, WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA-PSK (AES) have been added as security methods that can be used with [AOSS™] under [Automatic].*
- * If you have already set up for AOSS using an earlier version of the system software, you must perform AOSS setup again to use the security methods listed above.
- * When [Automatic] is selected, the security method to be used is automatically set.

Game
- New for 1.51: Support for PLAYSTATION®3 format software titles has been expanded.

Friends
- New for 1.54: [Screen Mode] has been added as an option in the options menu for video chat. The image of the person you are chatting with during video chat can now be changed to match the screen size.
- New for 1.54: You can now use a compatible USB camera compliant with USB video class (UVC) for video chat.
- The method for saving your password / signing in automatically under PLAYSTATION®Network has been changed. There are now two separate options.

Other
- You can now enter text in Korean using the on-screen keyboard.
- Fixed the graphical issues that occurred with certain PS1/PS2 games.

Additions under the 1.3X firmware-

Settings
- You can now register the BD remote control in [Register Bluetooth® Device] under [Accessory Settings].
BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [BD/DVD Settings].
- [Backup Utility] has been added as a feature under [System Settings].
You can now select the hard disk format method in [Format Utility] and [Restore PS3™ System] under [System Settings].
- The method of selecting output resolution has been changed in [Video Output Settings] under [Display Settings].

Game
- New for 1.31: You can now play PlayStation®2 format software titles that must be installed on the hard disk.

Other
- The compatibility of USB devices with PlayStation®2 format software titles has changed. For details on USB devices that can be used with system software version 1.30, select here.
- New for 1.31: Playability status with the PS3™ system has changed for some PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format titles. To check on the latest status, visit the search site for compatible titles.
- New for 1.32: The online gaming functionality of the system software has been updated.

Additions under the 1.1X firmware-

General
- You can now use PLAYSTATION®Network services.
- You can now use the single tap text entry method on the on-screen keyboard for English and other European languages.

Settings
- [Audio CD Output Frequency] has been added as a feature under [Music Settings].
- [Enable ATRAC] has been added as a feature under [System Settings].
- [Cross Color Reduction Filter] has been added as a feature under [Display Settings].
- [After 5 Minutes] has been added as an option to [Screensaver] under [Display Settings].

Video
- You can now select [Full Screen] under [Screen Mode] when playing video files saved on the hard disk or storage media.*.
*An appropriate USB adaptor (not included) is required to use storage media with some models.

Network
- You can now download and save music and video files on the hard disk under [Internet Browser].
- You can now download the following types of content under [PLAYSTATION®Store].
PLAYSTATION®3 format software
PLAYSTATION®Network titles
- Simplified and traditional Chinese characters can now be displayed under [Internet Browser].
- [Online Instruction Manuals] has been added as a feature.

Friends
- [Account Management] has been added.

Other
- The method of calculating hard disk capacity has been changed.
* Free space on the hard disk is calculated as 1 GB (1024 x 1024 x 1024) = approx. 1,073,740,000 bytes. As a result, the free space value displayed may be less than the value that is mentioned under specifications in the product documentation. You can check hard disk free space under [Settings] > [System Settings] > [System Information].
- Playability status with the PS3™ system has changed for some PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format titles. To check on the latest status, visit the search site for compatible titles.
- Some PLAYSTATION®Network features have been revised.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought we did just have one, I was posting there but it slipped off somewhere. Ah well.

>From Japan:
"Network performance of system software was strengthened."

That is it. :/

[quote name='MrBrando']I hope that means faster downloads, I'm dying with how slow these are[/quote]

Mine downloads fast, not sure what is up with other downloaders though.

BTW, you can download the update to the computer then use a USB device to transfer to the PS3. That is, once they update the site with the latest update. Might be faster for people who get up later and see this.

How many updates has this been so far? Has it been 3 or 4 already?
I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't require 3 seperate steps:

1) Download the update
2) Plug in the Six Axis via USB cable
3) Install the update

I just keep the USB cable attached to the PS3 at all times so I don't have to go look for it for these frequent updates.

On the 360, updates take less than a minute and it seems like they are significantly longer on the PS3.

Does anyone have any idea what the rationale is behind requiring you to attach the controller via the USB cable? Maybe they have to shut down bluetooth during the update? I don't know, but it sure is annoying.

Possibly once you update the system, it loses the pairing and has to re-recognize the controller.

About the size of the download. I don't think they update pieces of it. I think they force you to get all of the code, even if it isn't needed. They may change this in the future b/c I can imagine the amount of data they are transferring on a daily basis.

Wow, another update...maybe I'll D/L on my PC next. It seems like they will keep releasing these updates to combat piracy too. I know some already reported dumping a Blu-Ray disc to the HDD. This is the same thing with the PSP though. Hopefully they don't keep growing with each update....

Wow you guys are complaining about having to connect the USB cable to the controller? Haha... Seems so minor to me.

You didn't have to update right away, so if you wanted to use the system you could have waited until you weren't going to need it and let it do its own thing.

Minor? I guess. But none of the other consoles make you do this, and the damn cable is way too short, plus they're releasing updates so often that it seems like I have to do it all the time.

[quote name='icruise']Minor? I guess. But none of the other consoles make you do this, and the damn cable is way too short, plus they're releasing updates so often that it seems like I have to do it all the time.[/quote]

You get a new cable if it bothers you enough. It is a basic "USB Mini B", ask for one at an electronics store (I'd suggest Radio Shack), should be only a few dollars.

And you don't have to update if you want to keep playing the stuff on your system already. You just need the update version up to that point, so you can wait until you really need it to try new software that requires the latest update.

Maybe I'm just used to all this with the PSP. I'll take these minor updates now instead of some huge one later if that is what Sony is doing, trickling in the improvements in.

I'm starting to get a bit sketchy of these frequent, minor updates. I mean, I wouldn't mind at all if these updates did more than just "strengthen security" and the likes. For example, new features like an improved online component, the 1080i fix, ability to change the background, basic multitasking functions, the list goes on.

Don't complain about Sony actually keeping up with their system and releasing (so far) weekly updates.

The bigger ones will come later, smaller fixes come sooner.

Actually I think they want you to plug in the controller to make sure you have control at all times during the update process. It's much like how the PSP requires you to have the power plugged in just in case and the battery above 25%.

I seriously don't see why people are complaining about the frequent updates. If you don't want to update till a bigger patch, you don't really have to.

Yeh... I mean if we got updates maybe say once a month and they are huge, then people would complain about that. No win situation here I guess.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Yeh... I mean if we got updates maybe say once a month and they are huge, then people would complain about that. No win situation here I guess.[/quote]

No one complains about the periodic 360 updates (except for the bugs in some of them) so why would they complain about this. Just do it while your doing something else, not complicated

The 360 updates are much fewer in frequency and are much smaller to download. And you don't have to connect your controller to the console.

On a scale of 1-10, it ranks about a 2, so it's not like it's that big of a deal, but when the updates don't seem to actually change anything, they get a little annoying

Yeah, the 360 updates are fast...that is the main difference. Sony has LOTS of work to do with the online system (background D/Ling is a MUST).

say...if and when the ps3 goes through a hardware revision (I read that future hardware revisions may do away with the ps2 hardware inside and go the route of software emulation for backward compat), how will they administer firmware updates? Will there be separate versions of the firmware, or maybe just one all inclusive package that has different versions depending on what version ps3 you have?

[quote name='doubledown']Yeah, the 360 updates are fast...that is the main difference. Sony has LOTS of work to do with the online system (background D/Ling is a MUST).[/quote]

The background downloading is coming, but I read it won't be here until March.

Can you download this to a computer, burn it to a disc and use that to update the PS3 or do you have to use the PS3 online to download?

Is Sony ever going to release a worthwhile update that fixes the video quality of ps2 games running on the ps3? Man, do I look forward to this update.

Sly 3 looks horrible on my ps3....

This issue is frequently mentioned in the sony messageboard and people have even complained to the Sony Customer Service Line. Someone said that the lady on the phone told him that Sony is fully aware of the ps2 games looking like shit on the ps3 and that they are working on a patch... they better get this fixed ASAP!!!

I dont think sony is going to make any big changes are speed up the download process, and when will they add some more downloads like x-box 360?

This update may just have fixed my router/online problem with my PS3. I came back from Christmas travel, downloaded the update, and was able to connect to the PlayStation Network for the first time. Woohoo! Downloading GT HD as I type this!

GT HD is pretty impressive indeed -- especially for free. I've never been a huge Gran Turismo fan, as I've always found it to be a little too vanilla for my tastes, but one can't help but admire its attention to detail.

[quote name='whoknows']Updating now...wonder if its anything worthwhile[/quote]

Yep... The PS2 image issues have been fixed. :)

I've had one problem w/one of my ps2 games I tested.

Shadow of Rome: visually it looks better, but I'm seeing some ghosting issues now. MIGHT be my tv.

Other than that,everything else looks like it did on my ps2. I can fire up VF:4 Evo and practice again.

I have yet to try it, but if the BC is fixed that's one less thing for the haters to bitch about. I kind of have to wonder how it got out the door like that, though. A lot of things about the launch seem rushed. But then again, that means that there are a lot of improvements that we can expect over the next few weeks and months, so I guess that's the bright side.

I just tested out FFXII, KH2 and FFVII. All look much improved from last time. I'm quite satisfied with how they look in terms of how terribly pixelated they used to look.

PS1 games will still looked pixelated and aged as hell on the PS3, but that's what a PSP with custom firmware is for. THAT's where the ps1 games really shine.

I will have to try this out on SSX Tricky when I get home. I popped that in last week and it looked like jaggy hell. Even if it does fix those issues though it still won't replace my PS2 for the time being. With the PS2 I can still play games with rumble, load games to my hard drive for faster loading using my hd-loader, and enable texture smoothing and faster loading for my PS1 games.

since i'm running my ps3 through a vga box to my monitor which only works with ###p signals, I can't play ps2 games on it anyway (ps2 games only output in 480i save for a few titles, none of which I have)...but good to hear things are workin great.

is there anyway we can get the ps3 to play saved videos from another source? like a flash drive. id luv 2 watch all the anime i got saved (and porn) on the ps3

Sure, you can play videos from a thumb drive. You might need to press triangle on it and have it "show all" to get them to show up.

Sony fixed the BC issues...finally. Still, for $600 this should have been perfect right out of the box. A 2 month delay is just crazy.

On a side note, how do they come out with the update #'s?

1.32 to 1.5? What happened to everything in between? Why not 1.4? Is by months available or something?

[quote name='gizmogc']Sony fixed the BC issues...finally. Still, for $600 this should have been perfect right out of the box. A 2 month delay is just crazy.

1.32 to 1.5? What happened to everything in between? Why not 1.4? Is by months available or something?[/QUOTE]

Probably because the BC update was major, they decided to use a more significant number (1.5). Just like they skipped from 2.82 to 3.0 on PSP when they added PS1 emulation.

[quote name='gizmogc']Sony fixed the BC issues...finally. Still, for $600 this should have been perfect right out of the box. A 2 month delay is just crazy.[/quote]

Agreed. :applause:

[quote name='gizmogc']Sony fixed the BC issues...finally. Still, for $600 this should have been perfect right out of the box. A 2 month delay is just crazy.

1.32 to 1.5? What happened to everything in between? Why not 1.4? Is by months available or something?[/QUOTE]$500.

Not sure if its just the game I was playing but I compared the new firmware 1.5 PS3 running a PS2 game on it and and original fatty PS2 and to me while PS3 version looks better now, the PS2 version still looks better. I am hooked up HDMI on the PS3 and component on the PS2. I think I will still keep my PS2 hooked up.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Not sure if its just the game I was playing but I compared the new firmware 1.5 PS3 running a PS2 game on it and and original fatty PS2 and to me while PS3 version looks better now, the PS2 version still looks better. I am hooked up HDMI on the PS3 and component on the PS2. I think I will still keep my PS2 hooked up.[/quote]

So I've been reading the PS3 boards at boardsus.playstation.com, and it sounds like that in BC mode the PS3 is possibly outputting in 480p when playing BC games. So most PS2 games are in 480i that the new FW is altering the image output slightly. Whether it's actual upconverting to 480p I am not clear on it yet. By looking at the ign video comparison, the PS3 without 1.5 looks like the PS2 playing a 480i game on an HD set with component cables. The colors are darker and the graphics very pixelated and jaggies everywhere. It looks like the 1.5 FW has some how smoothen up the graphics and the colors are much brighter and closer to a PS2 displaying a 480i game on a regular TV. Still, it only the first released of improved BC, hopefully Sony and improve with further FW releases and also give us DVD upconvert playback too.

[quote name='MadFlava']So I've been reading the PS3 boards at boardsus.playstation.com, and it sounds like that in BC mode the PS3 is possibly outputting in 480p when playing BC games. So most PS2 games are in 480i that the new FW is altering the image output slightly. Whether it's actual upconverting to 480p I am not clear on it yet. By looking at the ign video comparison, the PS3 without 1.5 looks like the PS2 playing a 480i game on an HD set with component cables. The colors are darker and the graphics very pixelated and jaggies everywhere. It looks like the 1.5 FW has some how smoothen up the graphics and the colors are much brighter and closer to a PS2 displaying a 480i game on a regular TV. Still, it only the first released of improved BC, hopefully Sony and improve with further FW releases and also give us DVD upconvert playback too.[/quote]

I think your big question is, if the PS3 can upconvert PS2 games, they why not DVDs?

And your trying to figure out if it is actually upconverting the images because the lowest the PS3 can display is 480p and the PS2 games/TV are at 480i.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back