Flying Penis Attack Disrupts CNET Event in Second Life (NSFW?)

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=4336

Aggrieved avatars expressed outrage today after an interview with Second Life land baron Anshe Chung was ruthlessly attacked by a hitherto unknown griefer group going by the name of "Room 101."

The event, which was sponsored by real-life news giant CNET and took place at its Second Life headquarters, was supposed to be a public interview with newly minted millionaire Anshe Chung, who parlayed a $10 investment into seven figures worth of virtual holdings in a little under 30 months.

Instead, Chung--known in the meat space as Ailin Graef--was bombarded with particle emitters and virtual penises by unidentified assailants in the audience.

CNET reporter Greeterdan Godel admitted that he was powerless to stop the attack. Chatlogs from the event, exclusively obtained by the Metaverse Minutely, show that after imploring the thugs for mercy, he asked for a pause while he contacted "my personal mafia." While Godel was idle, the crowd grew antsy and began to offer security advice to the beleaguered broadcaster. After a few impatient minutes and a few audience questions, Chung left the location to a chorus of virtual groans.

The Metaverse Minutely, your primary source for Second Life stories, received an anonymous package of photos and videos from the grieftastrophe. They are extraordinarily graphic and very not safe for work. Viewer discretion is advised.
:lol: Check out the link for graphic pics of the event and there's even a video (mute for annoying music).

http://gamepolitics.com/2006/12/21/second-life-event-interrupted-by-flying-penis-attack/

CNet’s Daniel Terdiman reports that an in-game interview he was conducting with a well-to-do Second Life purveyor of virtual real estate was interrupted by a griefer who launched a disruptive flying penis attack.

Terdiman’s account raises all sorts of issues about the manipulation of in-game economies and social interactions in the virtual world. From the article:
On Monday, Graef visited CNET’s Second Life bureau for a discussion about her business, how best to set up businesses in Second Life and the nature of competition there.
Unfortunately, as the interview was commencing, the event was attacked by a “griefer,” someone intent on disrupting the proceedings. The griefer managed to assault the CNET theater for 15 minutes with–well, there’s no way to say this delicately–animated flying penises.
…the interview was attacked again, and the protester even managed to crash the entire server on which Chung’s theater is held.
Airborne manly equipment aside, Terdiman’s interview with Second Life real estate magnate Ailin Graef of Anshe Chung Studios is fascinating and worth a read. Sadly - or perhaps fortunately - we have no screen shots of the event. Use your imagination…

[quote name='Roufuss']Yea, I don't understand what Frisky quoted at all.[/QUOTE]

I understand the background - who she is, and what she's done, both to earn money and the ire of the gaming community...but still I don't quite get this event.

[quote name='mykevermin']I understand the background - who she is, and what she's done, both to earn money and the ire of the gaming community...but still I don't quite get this event.[/QUOTE]

I'm at a bit of a loss there myself.

A group called Room 101 basically fucked with her press conference with CNet. Something Awful runs a bi-weekly feature on all of the terrible goings on in Second Life and this week's feature has a video of her being attacked by giant penises. It's funny as hell.

[quote name='furyk']A group called Room 101 basically fucked with her press conference with CNet. Something Awful runs a bi-weekly feature on all of the terrible goings on in Second Life and this week's feature has a video of her being attacked by giant penises. It's funny as hell.[/QUOTE]

yeah, saw it a few days ago and enjoyed the portaits of her holding penises...

[quote name='mykevermin']I understand the background - who she is, and what she's done, both to earn money and the ire of the gaming community...but still I don't quite get this event.[/quote]
See if the second article explains it a little better. It was basically an interview gone wrong.

This Article ( which is propaganda ) is telling us that Second life is a online sex ring of some sort or when kids go on they will be doing the nasty.

Personally Something Auwful is just really really dumb. I mean the way they make it sounds like that Cyber Sex commercial ( if anybody remembers it ) . Where they make it sound as if Cyber Sex is real sex.

Again to be honest I was more then happy playing the Original SIMS ( which went online if anybody could remember ) and the sex actions they had with the Sims ( which is not really that Sexy at all ).

Again this bulltar Second Life is crap. It is like people who are too afraid to go outside like a bunch of wuss people hiding behind there network screens.

Back in the days of AOL 4.0 I went into chatrooms and "Role played " where I might have gotten into trouble with the law almost. Still I got some pictures exchanged pictures and had pen Pals ( you know what we had before E-Mail ).

This whole thread is bogus.

That's hilarious. The music during the flying penis attack really sealed the deal.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']See if the second article explains it a little better. It was basically an interview gone wrong.[/QUOTE]

Somewhat. I think I need to do more research on SL as a game and figure out (1) what it's about, (2) its relation to the real-world economy, (3) why Chung hasn't been banned for ruining the game, and (4) why in the hell someone would do a virtual "sit-down" interview.

Thanks for the links though.

[quote name='mykevermin']Somewhat. I think I need to do more research on SL as a game and figure out (1) what it's about, (2) its relation to the real-world economy, (3) why Chung hasn't been banned for ruining the game, and (4) why in the hell someone would do a virtual "sit-down" interview.

Thanks for the links though.[/QUOTE]

this isn't definitive, but a rough idea:

1. It's like an mmo-sims, where you can program and design anything you want into the game. I'm not sure if there are limitations on that (i mean, flying penises.)

2. You can trade the online currency for real money somehow. I have no idea how this works.

3. I don't think there are any rules for the game. Apparently some people are not happy with her :lol:

4. She made a million real dollars through second life and has banked off of several online games. She's an mmo tycoon, I guess. Second Life is notorious for emulating real life in many ways, so I guess this is like the equivalent of Bill Gates holding a live sit-down interview. I heard there are live DJ sets broadcast there, which turn into dance parties for avatars.

[quote name='Apossum']this isn't definitive, but a rough idea:

1. It's like an mmo-sims, where you can program and design anything you want into the game. I'm not sure if there are limitations on that (i mean, flying penises.)

2. You can trade the online currency for real money somehow. I have no idea how this works.

3. I don't think there are any rules for the game. Apparently some people are not happy with her :lol:

4. She made a million real dollars through second life and has banked off of several online games. She's an mmo tycoon, I guess. Second Life is notorious for emulating real life in many ways, so I guess this is like the equivalent of Bill Gates holding a live sit-down interview. I heard there are live DJ sets broadcast there, which turn into dance parties for avatars.[/QUOTE]

Read her article on Wiki for number 3, you and Myke, she has so many Linden's that she's threatened to crash the economy and effectively ruin the game if she dosen't get her way.

[quote name='RegalSin2020']This Article ( which is propaganda ) is telling us that Second life is a online sex ring of some sort or when kids go on they will be doing the nasty.

Personally Something Auwful is just really really dumb. I mean the way they make it sounds like that Cyber Sex commercial ( if anybody remembers it ) . Where they make it sound as if Cyber Sex is real sex.

Again to be honest I was more then happy playing the Original SIMS ( which went online if anybody could remember ) and the sex actions they had with the Sims ( which is not really that Sexy at all ).

Again this bulltar Second Life is crap. It is like people who are too afraid to go outside like a bunch of wuss people hiding behind there network screens.

Back in the days of AOL 4.0 I went into chatrooms and "Role played " where I might have gotten into trouble with the law almost. Still I got some pictures exchanged pictures and had pen Pals ( you know what we had before E-Mail ).

This whole thread is bogus.[/QUOTE]

This post ranks 775th out of your 790 posts. Cancel Christmas. :(

[quote name='RegalSin2020']
[/QUOTE]

Wait... are you some kind of child molestor or something? You "role played" where you might have gotten into trouble with the law?

Pretty sick.

Oh shit that was funny. I was already laughing and then RegalSin started talking about online sex rings and that just made it worse.

I am down with paying real cash for "phat loot" and the like, but who the hell would spend real money on virtual land in this crappy, anarchic, graphical chat room?

bread's done
Back