Can I run HD on a PC monitor?

imascrub

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I've been searching for hours on google and haven't really found a straight answer.

I have a Dell 2001fp 20" (4:3) lcd monitor, and it has a VGA and DVI connector. The DVI is being used as my main pc monitor connection right now.

I was wondering could I use component cables for the ps3, with a component -> VGA adapter to plug it into the monitor, and have it display 720p? The monitor's native resolution is 1600x1200.

I don't know how this HD stuff works, but I just see that 1200 > 720, so I figure maybe the monitor should be able to work it. Though being 16x12 native res, it seems like it should be able to do 1080 displays too but I'm assuming that probably isn't the case.

I came across during my search, something that xbox people were using called x2vga. It's supposed to take in HD signals or something and I guess provide a connection to a CRT or LCd monitor and have it be able to display HD content up to 1080i or something. Unfortunately I don't think the site's been updated for a pretty long while and they've been out of stock, and it was like $65 or something. Anyway since a device like this exists, I guess normal monitors can't do HD content. The Dell 2007wfp (and I think the 2005wfp) apparently are able to do 720p as some 360 owners have reported on other forums I've searched, and I'm not really sure what's changed from my 2001fp other than that they're widescreen and updated versions of the 2001 line.

Hmm writing this post made me realize that I could have been using component cables for my ps2 instead of using the S-Video input.

fuck that... get a HDMI to DVI cable, which provides the best image quality possible. Your monitor will be able to handle 720p but since it's a 4:3, it'll be a letterboxed widescreen image sadly (and look really small). I'm not sure what resolutions the PS3 is capable of... I'd think it would be able to but I can't speak from experience as I don't have a PS3.

You can get an HDMI to DVI cable here.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&style=

the thing is I'm using the monitor as my main pc monitor as well through DVI, so I don't want to give that up.

so...that vga box. Is something going on inside there that a regular cable to input adapter can't do?

Why would a HDMI > DVI adapter work but not a component > vga? I guess just the fact that it's a digital vs analog signal?

Does a pc monitor's resolution have to deal with whether or not it can display progressive scan? fuck I don't know anything about this shit lol

[quote name='mwynn']LCD monitors do not use progressive scan.[/QUOTE]

Oops, you're right... the 2001s aren't capable of 720. It's the 2005s are the ones that can display progressive scan.

If you're already using DVI, then there's an adapter available to convert component to VGA. It's not a box like the one previously posted, it's just a dongle.

so I'd either have to just run regular component (via VGA converter dongle) in 480i to the monitor, or get the component > vga transcoder box if I want to do 480/720p?

Here is an alternative (and possibly better) solution. You will need the following parts:

HDMI Cable & HDMI - DVI converter
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1185184&CatId=1638
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1945469&CatId=1163

OR this cable instead of the above two parts

HDMI-DVI Cable
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1185186&CatId=1638

A DVI splitter (so you can connect both your PC and PS3 to the same input on your monitor)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2315801&CatId=466

You can use your A/V cables that came with the system for the audio by finding the Audio in on your sound card or your speaker system.

I used tigerdirect for these parts but feel free to find better prices elsewhere. Remember that HDMI is a digital medium and so a 15$ cable is comparable to a 200$ cable.

I use this set up and it works fine with my Dell 2007WFP. Good luck

[quote name='Mindzeye82']Here is an alternative (and possibly better) solution. You will need the following parts:

HDMI Cable & HDMI - DVI converter
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1185184&CatId=1638
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1945469&CatId=1163

OR this cable instead of the above two parts

HDMI-DVI Cable
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1185186&CatId=1638

A DVI splitter (so you can connect both your PC and PS3 to the same input on your monitor)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2315801&CatId=466

You can use your A/V cables that came with the system for the audio by finding the Audio in on your sound card or your speaker system.

I used tigerdirect for these parts but feel free to find better prices elsewhere. Remember that HDMI is a digital medium and so a 15$ cable is comparable to a 200$ cable.

I use this set up and it works fine with my Dell 2007WFP. Good luck[/quote]

how do you switch between ps3 and pc display like that?
Oh and I have a 2001fp which I don't think works.

I have easy access to the DVI splitter so I just unplug the device I'm not using, which may not work for you. If you are looking at a new monitor, I would recommed a widescreen.

[I've been trying to figure this out for MONTHS]

Do regular monitors support the resolutions and formats the PS3 outputs?

So far I haven't heard of ANYONE actually trying it to see if it works.

The problem I see is that the monitor may not know what to do with a widescreen format, and I'm not sure that the Playstation 3 can output anything but widescreen at HD resolutions.

For the heck of it I just changed my computer to 1280x720 (ie 720p), and my monitor displays it, but squished.

Either the monitor would have to know to letterbox widescreen content, or else the Playstation 3 would have to be able to do that. I don't think the PS3 does, and 99.9% of 4:3 monitors don't either (most that do can probably already accept component input anyway).

I think this problem would show up regardless of whether you were using HDMI -> DVI or are somehow getting VGA out. IMO HDMI would be the way to try it, as it doesn't require a conversion step.

The 360 by contrast does let you select 4:3 resolutions. A few games actually display HD 4:3 content. Most just letterbox it (so your monitor doesn't have to) and a few don't work right. (Tomb Raider Legend was one I had to run in 480p as higher resolutions were distorted on 4:3 monitors).

[quote name='mwynn']LCD monitors do not use progressive scan.[/QUOTE]

That's backwards. LCD monitors ONLY support progressive scan. In the case of HDTVs, they deinterlace interlaced content to be able to display it (but computer monitors don't include the hardware to do that).

[quote name='rickonker']BTW remember HD content is 16:9. "Widescreen" PC monitors are not.[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. (But maybe I'm just tired :D back to FF12! :D )

FYI, I think it might help you to hear what happened with my 360 when I did this: Several games were not compatible with my 5:4 (1280x1024) LCD monitor. Notably Gears of War, PGR, and Oblivion. I would not recommend this. It really sucked because I was going along great with the first few games I got, and then (after my 30 days for a return were up), I ended up with something I don't want to use. Ugh.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm not quite sure what you're saying. (But maybe I'm just tired :D back to FF12! :D )[/quote]

What he means is most widescreen monitors are 16:10 (1680x1050) aspect ratio, while HD content is 16:9

I had no idea finding an answer to this would be so hard lol

I may just end up getting one of those component/vga transcoder boxes and just letting that handle it. There are only two component/vga adapter dongles that I could find and those are the ATI VGA to component output HDTV adapter, and the Optoma . But as far as I know those are made to output from a PC via DVI or VGA through a Radeon card to a HDTV. I have no idea if an adapter that's made to output to a HDTV can be used backwards and accept a component input from the console and output it to a monitor through the DVI/VGA plug. Anybody have an answer to this?

I really doubt it would work backwards. And plus you'd have the same aspect ratio issues as if you just used an HDMI -> DVI cable. That with a switch box seems like the way to go... except we still don't know if the PS3 will output 4:3 in HD I guess.

And it sounds like the 360 has more games than I realized that don't really work on monitors, so I guess it's really in the same boat...except that at least it'll work in 480p on a monitor, which is something (unless the PS3 can do the same through DVI).

I believe it depends upon the resolution that you tell the system to output. The 360 can output 4:3 resolutions, which I believe forces the games into a letterboxed format.

I'm away from home so I can't check to determine if the PS3 can output 4:3 resolutions.

Computer monitors run in 16:10, which means that when running HD content on a monitor, you will have a very thin letter box above and below the image (but it is very difficult to notice).

I am able to run both my 360 and PS3 through my Dell 2007WFP, and it looks great.

[quote name='Mindzeye82']I believe it depends upon the resolution that you tell the system to output. The 360 can output 4:3 resolutions, which I believe forces the games into a letterboxed format.

I'm away from home so I can't check to determine if the PS3 can output 4:3 resolutions.

Computer monitors run in 16:10, which means that when running HD content on a monitor, you will have a very thin letter box above and below the image (but it is very difficult to notice).

I am able to run both my 360 and PS3 through my Dell 2007WFP, and it looks great.[/QUOTE]

That's using the component inputs for the PS3 though, right?

I'd LOVE it if you could double check if your PS3 can do a 4:3 resolution.

Regarding the 360, unfortunately there are some games that don't get letterboxed in 4:3 resolutions (Tomb Raider Legend, and I guess Oblivion and some others) so you're stuck with 480p on a 4:3 screen-although that's a lot better than not being able to run the games at all!

[quote name='Wolfpup']That's using the component inputs for the PS3 though, right?

I'd LOVE it if you could double check if your PS3 can do a 4:3 resolution.

Regarding the 360, unfortunately there are some games that don't get letterboxed in 4:3 resolutions (Tomb Raider Legend, and I guess Oblivion and some others) so you're stuck with 480p on a 4:3 screen-although that's a lot better than not being able to run the games at all![/quote]

I didn't know that the 2007wfp had component inputs?

Hmm...looking at the dell site they list that bunch of analog inputs as "Composite" so I assumed it was the standard y/r/w rca cables, but the inputs have red, blue, green, and yellow inputs, so I guess it'll take all video inputs! Sweeet....guess I just found my new monitor....though I think I'll wait till Dell has some of those 25% off monitor coupons lol

[quote name='shadylane']is it possible to run a gamecube, ps2, or 360 on a powerbook G4[/QUOTE]

Yes, sort of. You need something like the Elgato EyeTV (I may not be remembering it's name right). The newer ones have a "game mode" that helps reduce latency.

There will still be some latency though that may or may not be annoying depending on the game and personal preference. It'll also be limited to 640x480, so not super desirable for the 360, though it would work.

[quote name='imascrub']I didn't know that the 2007wfp had component inputs?

Hmm...looking at the dell site they list that bunch of analog inputs as "Composite" so I assumed it was the standard y/r/w rca cables, but the inputs have red, blue, green, and yellow inputs, so I guess it'll take all video inputs! Sweeet....guess I just found my new monitor....though I think I'll wait till Dell has some of those 25% off monitor coupons lol[/quote]

Hmm....though I can clearly see a R/G/B colored plug under the "composite" video input plug section in the screenshot, I'm reading reviews and it says it doesn't have component input.

Anybody with a 2007wfp care to respond?

The 2007 just has DVI, VGA, composite, and S-Video as far as I know. The 24" monitor has component, not sure about some of the others.

hmm maybe it's a different revision of the same monitor then cuz the shot on dell's product page is definitely showing the component inputs. The review I'm reading may be an older version because the inputs look way different.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4688

extremetech review model (reviewed april 2006):
http://www.extremetech.com/image_popup/0,1694,iid=130814,00.asp

-edit-
hmm looked a little bit more into this and it might be the the 2007wfp doesn't have component after all, and that the picture they used on the 2007wfp is actually of a new model they're introducing the 2707wfp

Ohhh...I guess I was looking at the 2007FP, not the 2007WFP. I guess the former lacks component.

In that case, the 2007wfp is probably one of the cheapest monitors with component. Handy to know if you need some PS3 action in places a TV won't go :D

EDITED cause I reversed the models.

nah i think you're right

Dell might have screwed up the image display on their product information page, and I think they know it. Weird though that the picture is still up there. I'd think they would have caught and changed it by now...

Oh well I won't be replacing my monitor anytime soon I think (2001fp)....at least not until 25% off coupons start showing up again lol

I think I said it backwards-looks like the fp doesn't have component, and the wfp does...although it seems like a coworker has one (or maybe a 2005?) that doesn't have component.

bread's done
Back