Dark Messiah of Might and Magic Limited Edition $29.99 at EB/GS

Holla! Is this game worth $29.99 anyways?

It got alot of pre-release buzz but I never heard anything once it launched. I heard it was alot like Oblivion?

Wow shit... read some reviews, and didn't realize reviewers ripped this game a new one.

I kinda want the LE but I might just wait until $20 or lower :(

It seemed like a love it or hate it game... lots of the European/foreign reviewers loved it while sites like IGN or Gamespot's overly bitchy Jeff Gerstmann didn't like it so much. From what I played, the game is excellent... at least in single player mode. It had some bugs that I'm sure have been patched by now, but that was really the only major downside to the game.

[quote name='Chacrana']It seemed like a love it or hate it game... lots of the European/foreign reviewers loved it while sites like IGN or Gamespot's overly bitchy Jeff Gerstmann didn't like it so much. From what I played, the game is excellent... at least in single player mode. It had some bugs that I'm sure have been patched by now, but that was really the only major downside to the game.[/QUOTE]

Yea, the AU review on IGN loved it, gave it an 88, while the US IGN gave it a 70.

IGN loved the level design, Gamespy hated it, some people loved the multiplayer, others hated it.

Some say it's not long enough, some say it drags on too much.

I've given up on the game getting ported to the 360 at this point so I might just grab it for $30 from EB tomorrow.

If you like killing things, this is a great game. If like stories that keep you on the edge of your seat... not so much.

Lots of killing things though. In fun ways. Its like the cribnotes version of Oblivion except that combat is actually fun.

This is one of those games where the demo gives you the perfect taste. If you love the demo, you'll love the game.

This game came with my new graphics card, and I really enjoy playing it. The graphics look really nice if your machine can handle them. The story is entertaining, and the gameplay is pretty fun but can be a little repetitive after a while. I definately think it's worth 30 bucks.

How did this one sneak by all the normal CAG posters too? I saw it and thought there was no way that was the right price since I didn't see anybody post it on the forum!

[quote name='WhoKnowsWho']How did this one sneak by all the normal CAG posters too? I saw it and thought there was no way that was the right price since I didn't see anybody post it on the forum![/QUOTE]

Well, I definitely appreciate you saying something... I'm downloading this humongous demo while I sleep and if I like it, I will definitely swing by EB to get it in the morning.

[quote name='Roufuss']Well, I definitely appreciate you saying something... I'm downloading this humongous demo while I sleep and if I like it, I will definitely swing by EB to get it in the morning.[/quote]

My room mate got me the game for Christmas, just the regular $50 edition. And then we found this, so we will probably return the as of yet unopened $50 version if we can find another EB/GS with the limited edition. I guess I should install it to find out if I even like it! :D

It's a good game. Like someone else said, it's "kill crap, go to next room". Has a fairly nice physics engine, and there was a performance patch that fixed a lot of the initial issues.

LE for $30 is a good price.

The game has been out awhile but it's only recently that they released a patch that (they claim) actually lets you play 5 minutes without crashing. I ended up waiting a couple weeks for that patch then returning it. If you look on their forums they added a new rule, if you talk about returning the game to the store they ban you.

Edit: It looks like they removed that sticky. It was there for awhile though

I did have a strange issue. Whenever I took out a weapon or picked something up, the screen went black. I went about killing things by kicking them into spikes for a few minutes until the game crashed.

I restarted the game and it worked flawlessly until the end.

Ok, so the demo was fun, but one last question:

I know the game uses the Source engine, but is it in any way tied into Steam? I ask this because I am really opposed to Steam and, at this point, won't buy any product that uses it.

I loved buying retail copies of Half Life Episode 1 and Sin Episode 1, selling them to my friend, and the RETAIL copies won't work since I already used them once.

So if Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is Steam free, that would be awesome.

The game associates itself with steam when you install it but you can also just play with the disc without running steam.

[quote name='zsgamer']The game associates itself with steam when you install it but you can also just play with the disc without running steam.[/QUOTE]

But what I want to know is the game resellable? Does Steam completely lock the game down once you install and use the CD key?

Half Life Episode 1, even the retail copy, you can ONLY use it once on one computer and have to pay something like $10 to reset the key. IMO, that's bullshit.

Like, can I play through the game, and when I'm done with it, sell to my friend and they can also play it? Can't do that with any of Valve's products.

I'm pretty sure it's Steam locked. Multiplayer requires playing through Steam (but MP sucks, so no big loss there).

[quote name='geoelectric']I'm pretty sure it's Steam locked. Multiplayer requires playing through Steam (but MP sucks, so no big loss there).[/QUOTE]

Wow... bullshit.

Guess I'm passing for now, I really hate the fact that Steam locks up retail copies this way. I could see if I downloaded it digitally, but I'm not, I'm essentially paying for a copy of the game that's worthless once I install it since well, I'm stuck with it forever.

I'm assuming you're right because there are 0 used copies on Ebay, too.

I guess I'll skip on the $30 DVD edition and wait until the game is dirt cheap someplace, since I can't resell it when I'm done with it.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']You can transfer a Steam-based game's access key from one Steam account to another, but it costs $10.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that just makes it more of a hassle to sell the damn game, and at that point I'll barely make anything.

Valve told me I could do that for Half Life 2 Episode 1, but I paid $8 for the game to begin with, so I'm paying MORE then what I paid originally just to get rid of it.

I just like the option of having the ability to sell the game if it's short, I end up getting bored of it, it dosen't run well on my computer, etc etc etc. I played the demo, and I liked it, but the full version could get boring halfway through and then what?

I'm stuck with it, unless I pay $10 to transfer the stupid access key. I didn't care when just Valve did this stupid shit, but now they've got Ubisoft doing it too? If this is the case I will just step back from PC gaming for good if they're going to get more companies on board with this type of thing.

I've yet to find Steam's nasty handywork in the game. I haven't played multiplayer, but I don't think it uses Steam either. I think it uses something called Playlinc (that's what my icon says for running it, anyway). Not sure. Don't care about the multiplayer.

But as a single player game, I freakin' loved it. It's certainly not for everyone, but it is without a doubt one of my favorite FPS I've ever played. Multiple endings, lots of ways to kill people, decent story (stolen from Bioware and dumbed down for the masses, but still...). I've played through it several times, and loved each time more than the last. Note: The harder levels make the game much more fun, so start off on at least medium.

Well worth $30. Hell, I'd have payed $50 if I would've known how good it was before I found the LE so cheap.

When I installed DM, I didn't have to run steam, but then I didn't play MP nor did it come from... official channels.

If anyone who has a second PC, if they can install it and see if it'll run on a second PC then I'll head out tonight to grab this.

[quote name='Kayden']When I installed DM, I didn't have to run steam, but then I didn't play MP nor did it come from... official channels.[/QUOTE]Same here.

Roufuss, if Steam really bothers you, technically you could go buy the game and then peruse these... less than official channels in order to install the game Steam-free. Technically that's within your legal rights as a consumer, since you'd actually own the usage rights to the game data.

[quote name='Roufuss']If anyone who has a second PC, if they can install it and see if it'll run on a second PC then I'll head out tonight to grab this.[/quote]

Ok, I just installed this on another computer and steam is only required for multiplayer. I installed just the single player and it installed and loaded up just fine.

I called a bunch of nearby EB's and GameStop's, all which had the game ringing up in their PC at $59.99, not $29.99. All of the stores I asked said the same thing: they believe it's an online only special. So, they won't honor that online price.

So, I ordered it online -- there's a free saver shipping code floating around, too.

Free 5-10 Day Shipping from EB w/ this coupon until Dec. 31st -- SAVER

Saves me a trip from going out to drive and get the game -- especially since the stores are probably packed (since they are all in malls and plazas, nearby).

Plus, I don't need the game ASAP, since I'm already in the middle of two long RPG games -- NWN2 and GW: Nightfall.

[quote name='zsgamer']Ok, I just installed this on another computer and steam is only required for multiplayer. I installed just the single player and it installed and loaded up just fine.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks a ton. I saw this too late, as my EB is closed now, but I will head over there tomorrow some time to pick a copy up.

This way when I'm done, I'll just sell it to my friend a few bucks cheaper.

I liked the game quite a bit. The story is fairly lame, but it has some good staging, as far as the fights go. It has the best combat system for this type of game, better than Oblivion I'd say, though not as deep.

The game is fantastic visually if you can max out the settings. Though it does have technical issues which I was able to overcome by playing with the settings.

It is short, and I did not like the multiplayer, but was worth it for me.

[quote name='Roufuss']Awesome, thanks a ton. I saw this too late, as my EB is closed now, but I will head over there tomorrow some time to pick a copy up.

This way when I'm done, I'll just sell it to my friend a few bucks cheaper.[/QUOTE]And he could sell it to me for yet a few more bucks cheaper. I've been looking for a *cough* legit *cough* copy of the game to play the multiplayer, which I actually sort of liked.

I went to EB today to try and pick it up and it was regular priced. Pretty dissapointed, was trying to exchange it for something else. Oh well.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']And he could sell it to me for yet a few more bucks cheaper. I've been looking for a *cough* legit *cough* copy of the game to play the multiplayer, which I actually sort of liked.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, if it's true the multiplayer is tied to the Steam account, then it'll be the first computer to install the game that can use the MP.

I could care less about MP, same as my friend (it's a female, btw), just want it for the single player experience.

[quote name='feek']I went to EB today to try and pick it up and it was regular priced. Pretty dissapointed, was trying to exchange it for something else. Oh well.[/quote]

Still on the web site, why not order with the free shipping code?

[quote name='MysterD']I called a bunch of nearby EB's and GameStop's, all which had the game ringing up in their PC at $59.99, not $29.99. All of the stores I asked said the same thing: they believe it's an online only special. So, they won't honor that online price.

So, I ordered it online -- there's a free saver shipping code floating around, too.

Free 5-10 Day Shipping from EB w/ this coupon until Dec. 31st -- SAVER

Saves me a trip from going out to drive and get the game -- especially since the stores are probably packed (since they are all in malls and plazas, nearby).

Plus, I don't need the game ASAP, since I'm already in the middle of two long RPG games -- NWN2 and GW: Nightfall.[/quote]

They're very likely wrong. I was in there yesterday and it was still marked $30. I think they probably just looked at the price on the box, and didn't realize that they forgot to update the price tag when it dropped.

I was told that it was on sale last week (how did CAG miss it?) through the 26th, and even though the website doesn't say SALE -- it says PRICE DROP -- my local GS had it marked at $60.

After jumping through an unbelievable number of hoops, I got it at $30 and I'd be much angrier if the game wasn't worth it.

"Gamestop.com and Gamestop B&M are two entirely separate entities"? Sorry GS, but if your website can tell me your B&M inventory, that's a crock. And frustrating your B&M customers is a bad business model. If an item is a "web-only" special, it needs to be marked as such.

:wall: Sorry for the derail.

[quote name='Roufuss']Unfortunately, if it's true the multiplayer is tied to the Steam account, then it'll be the first computer to install the game that can use the MP.

I could care less about MP, same as my friend (it's a female, btw), just want it for the single player experience.[/QUOTE]
I'm not so sure about that -- it might get tied to the first Steam account to take the unique CD-key online.

[quote name='ghlbtsk']I was told that it was on sale last week (how did CAG miss it?) through the 26th, and even though the website doesn't say SALE -- it says PRICE DROP -- my local GS had it marked at $60.

After jumping through an unbelievable number of hoops, I got it at $30 and I'd be much angrier if the game wasn't worth it.

"Gamestop.com and Gamestop B&M are two entirely separate entities"? Sorry GS, but if your website can tell me your B&M inventory, that's a crock. And frustrating your B&M customers is a bad business model. If an item is a "web-only" special, it needs to be marked as such.

:wall: Sorry for the derail.[/quote]

They are separate. There are almost always sales on the web that aren't in store. There are a lot of companies that way. It may seem weird, but it's true.

[quote name='Ziv']They are separate. There are almost always sales on the web that aren't in store. There are a lot of companies that way. It may seem weird, but it's true.[/quote]

Fry's Electronics is notorious for that. So many times I saw a Frys.com price and went to the store and found it $10+ higher. I even asked since they price match other stores if they would price match themselves and they laughed. If I don't see it in the printed ad, I definately don't bother with them normally. But I do have to say I was able to get one of the best deals from Frys.com in the Stargate SG-1 box sets 1-9 for a little over $100! :D

[quote name='Ziv']They are separate. There are almost always sales on the web that aren't in store. There are a lot of companies that way. It may seem weird, but it's true.[/QUOTE]

While it may be true, it is still bullshit.

Best FPS ever- just make sure you have a beefy rig. Mine has some drops in performance running 1920x1600 with the settings to max. Plus a strange bug that changes the quality to mid instead of max each time.

I paid 70 bucks for this game and don't regret it a bit.

It would be a very good HL-2 mod (which is what it essentially feels like, a mod) but it's not worth more than 10 bucks for it.

bread's done
Back