Buy Crackdown in February and get an invitation to the Halo 3 beta

Trakan

Staff member
Feedback
122 (100%)
There's an ad for Crackdown in this months Gamepro and in the lower right hand corner it says that if you buy Crackdown you get an invite to the Halo 3 beta. (Thanks to pimpinc333 for telling me about this.) It says specially marked boxes and for a limited time only.

[14:34] zewuno: Pretty ingenious way of MS selling a no name game
[14:35] zewuno: like putting the MGS2 demo with ZOE

I had high hopes for this game, but whenever a company does something like this it puts up a warning flag in my head.

It's like the game can't sell on its own merits, so they have to throw in an invitation to the Halo 3 beta (which is instant sales).

I'm looking forward to this game a ton but this has me a little worried.

[quote name='D4rkN1ght']noooooo way that is some bull shit, no one wants that game so they make u buy it like that.[/QUOTE]
It's not the only way of getting in to the beta though.

[quote name='D4rkN1ght']noooooo way that is some bull shit, no one wants that game so they make u buy it like that.[/quote]

It sure looks like a ton of people are actually looking forward to it.

[quote name='zewone'][14:34] zewuno: Pretty ingenious way of MS selling a no name game
[14:35] zewuno: like putting the MGS2 demo with ZOE[/QUOTE]

Only difference is that ZOE was a pretty good game (in it's day) where as this game maybe not so much.

[quote name='Pancake Rabbit']Only difference is that ZOE was a pretty good game (in it's day) where as this game maybe not so much.[/QUOTE]
True, but before ZOE was released, no one knew if it would be good. We'll just have to find out.

I must be the only person in the world looking forward to crackdown but doesnt like halo, I can't stand first person shooters.

[quote name='Trakan']There's an ad for Crackdown in this months Gamepro and in the lower right hand corner it says that if you buy Crackdown you get an invite to the Halo 3 beta. (Thanks to pimpinc333 for telling me about this.) It says specially marked boxes and for a limited time only.

[/QUOTE]

Awesome, talk about cherry on top.

This is like when the Star Wars Episode 1 trailer debuted with Meet Joe Black in theaters. Most people payed, watched the trailer and then walked out (arguably for good reason). My guess is stores will see a rather sizeable increase in returns/trade-ins the week of Crackdown's release if this is true.

That's stupid. Not because I'm not going to buy crackdown (I'm probably not), but beacuse these games have nothing to do with each other.

It's a stupid idea by MS to push copies of the game, and it's a slap in the face to Halo fans.

I hate it when companies make bone-headed moves like this.

[quote name='PyroGamer']That's stupid. Not because I'm not going to buy crackdown (I'm probably not), but beacuse these games have nothing to do with each other.

It's a stupid idea by MS to push copies of the game, and it's a slap in the face to Halo fans.

I hate it when companies make bone-headed moves like this.[/QUOTE]

:?:

It isn't like the Halo 3 beta is exclusive to Crackdown owners. This is just a way to push a few more units to people who may have not been all that interested in it in the first place.

I'm really surprised Microsoft isn't pimping the fact that Crackdown is "CREATED BY THE CREATOR OF THE GRAND THEFT AUTO SERIES" more. You think that was automatically push a good number of units.

[quote name='Sporadic']It isn't like the Halo 3 beta is exclusive to Crackdown owners.[/QUOTE]
Yes, but the point is this is an easy way to get an invite that someone who doesn't feel like getting this game will miss out on.

Halo has nothing to do with Crackdown, besides that it is exclusive to the 360.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Halo has nothing to do with Crackdown, besides that it is exclusive to the 360.[/QUOTE]

And that they are both being published by Microsoft Game Studios.

[quote name='Roufuss']I had high hopes for this game, but whenever a company does something like this it puts up a warning flag in my head.

It's like the game can't sell on its own merits, so they have to throw in an invitation to the Halo 3 beta (which is instant sales).

I'm looking forward to this game a ton but this has me a little worried.[/QUOTE]

Dont worry, SE added the final fantasy 12 demo for Dragon Quest VIII, and that certainly wasnt a bad game. Cant argue with the fact that having a ff12 demo helped moved copies for those who were thinking twice.

...the star wars trailer came out with Wing Commander... I remember it being attached to the print.

On topic... this kinda reminds me of how Brute Force rode on Halo's coat tails with the different bonuses and what not

[quote name='PyroGamer']That's stupid. Not because I'm not going to buy crackdown (I'm probably not), but beacuse these games have nothing to do with each other.

I hate it when companies make bone-headed moves like this.[/QUOTE]

Seems like a very smart move by M$. They're getting all the Halo fanboys to buy a game they would otherwise ignore and still selling the game to the people who've been anticipating this game.

I think it's more of a bonus for those who were already going to buy Crackdown or on the fence about it, rather than seeing it as making hardcore Halo fans pay $60 for the beta.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']...the star wars trailer came out with Wing Commander... I remember it being attached to the print.
[/QUOTE]

Could be wrong, but I think the teaser trailer debuted with Meet Joe Black in most places prior to that, regardless the priniciple remains the same.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I think it's more of a bonus for those who were already going to buy Crackdown or on the fence about it, rather than seeing it as making hardcore Halo fans pay $60 for the beta.[/QUOTE]

Then why tie an unrelated beta release to it? Why not a preorder for those interested in Crackdown? Personally I think they are bakning at least some sales on the crazy Halo feeding frenzy. Good marketing actually, but still I don't think that was their whole agenda. Ah well, at least they picked an action title. Probably could've released it with Viva Pinata or something and the really rabid Halo junkies would still buy it to keep from getting the shakes or something.

One word: Ebay.

What happens when one game (potentially crapy) gets bundled with a beta for another crapy game? Fans of second crapy game go nuts. And ppl like me make money off of the sorry sods.

[quote name='XboxHardcore.com']It is surprising to me how a bunch of people are calling this game shit when they have not played it.[/quote]

I'm not saying that crackdown will definetly be shitty. I am just saying that it seems that Microsoft feels they can only move copies of this game by doing a huge promo. When companies do this it is usually because they feel the game alone is not going to do well.

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers'] I am just saying that it seems that Microsoft feels they can only move copies of this game by doing a huge promo. When companies do this it is usually because they feel the game alone is not going to do well.[/QUOTE]

Why is that?

Maybe they just want to push it to the moon.

Once you see them go "FROM THE CREATOR OF GRAND THEFT AUTO" then you know there's problem until then meh.

So does buying this game guarantee me that I am in the Beta or is it just another chance to enter like the online entry a few weeks back?

I was already set to buy CD, now the beta pretty much seals the deal. If M$ really wants to push sales, they should make it a pre-order exclusive bonus.

[quote name='TrenoV']I must be the only person in the world looking forward to crackdown but doesnt like halo, I can't stand first person shooters.[/QUOTE]

I bet you could sell your invite code to someone on ebay and recoup your cost on the game.

Crackdown looks to be pretty fricken awesome on its own... the videos on ign make it look hella fun... I`m getting it , even though i`m certain the Asia versions wont have the invite in it (they don`t even come with those standard weekend Gold passes) looking foward to the Game....though this action is a little suspect maybe if they did that with Viva piniata, more people would have bought it...

Who cares. Most likely the people complaining that it is a smack in the face problaby wouldn't have been able to beta it anyways. They are making it even simpler to get in the beta. I'm buying the game and if someone really wants my beta i'll sell it to them. The game does interest me but i'm not a big fps crazy action kinda guy. That is why i love rainbow six.

Crackdown seems to be a game that will end up in the 7-8 score range that for many, will be worth the $60 they'll pay, but these people won't realize this until they buy it. I don't think this is about the game being subpar, per se, but instead about Microsoft sensing that most people didn't give two shits about it...until now.

I'm sure many will still cringe, as being the 'good guy' in a sandbox game is, in their feeble minds, "gay", as is the admittedly questionable color palette. All the buzz I've heard points to 'somewhat pleasant surprise'.

EDIT: ...the star wars trailer came out with Wing Commander... I remember it being attached to the print.

Well, for accuracy's sake, that was the second and final trailer for The Phantom Menace. Sadly, I remember this via first-hand experience. Yes, I paid good money to endure watching Matthew Lillard fall back in his chair in crappy 'bullet-time'. The adrenaline from the trailer carried me through. Somehow.

The first one, the one that made people call off work (as reported in USA Today!), was largely attached, as mentioned, to Meet Joe Black and The Waterboy. While I generally think people leaving a theater after a single trailer is pathetic, in front of an Adam Sandler 'star vehicle', I can totally understand it.

bread's done
Back