Looking for a good medieval-fantasy RPG on PS2 or original Playstation

boyward

CAGiversary!
Feedback
75 (100%)
I'm a big fan of medieval fantasy. In my opinion, there is nothing in a video game so glorious as slaying a giant dragon or uncovering a diabolical plot to assassinate his lordship the king. I'm not so much into the kooky Japanese flavor that permeates so many medieval-fantasy RPGs (Dragon Quest VIII, for example), but that doesn't mean I'm opposed to made-in-Japan games.

Please give me your recommendations for a good sword-sorcery-and-sandals RPG on the PS2 or original Playstation.

I loved Vagrant Story, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance (didn't care for the sequel), and Sony's "Champions" games. I realize these are action RPGs but I am also open to traditional RPGs (on the PC I enjoyed the Baldur's Gate games and Return to Krondor) as well as strategy RPGs (big Fire Emblem fan here). I already have The Bard's Tale and Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land. I have also ordered Vandal Hearts at the recommendation of a fellow CAG. What else have I been missing? Please steer me in the right direction. ;)

That kind of sucks that you didn't dig DQ8, because that's the first rpg I thought of until you listed it under your dislikes.

I think your tastes would be more easily met with old school games imo. More recent rpgs are concentrating on sci-fi and that kooky flavor you alluded to.

Here are some games that might be up your alley

- Final Fantasy Tactics : I'd think you've probably already played this, but it's considered by a lot of people to be one of the best strat rpgs out there. It's all sprites, so no kookyness, and it has a great story. Ogre Battle games are similar and would be good pick ups as well.

- Summoner 2 : I really haven't played this all that much, but I have heard good things about it. An action rpg in a medievil setting.

- King's Field games : I have no experience with these games, but I have heard praise for them from people who enjoyed Wizardry: tale sof the forsaken land.

Annnnd .... the only other games I can think of that you would like are older sprite rpgs where any kookyness would be extremely limited. Like FF1-6, The older Dragon Warrior games, Lufia games, and pretty much any decent rpg released around that SNES era.

CriscoKidd, that was a helpful and well-written post. I wasn't aware of Summoner 2 or King's Field, so I will look further into those games, and as those SNES RPGs become available on the Wii VC I will investigate them also.

haha, Enix made a King Arthur and the Knights of Justice game for SNES,

squeenix gotta remake dat shit for reals!!

king_arthur_justice.jpg

Arthur and the Knights of Justice! pushing evil down!!

duh duh duh duh duh duh duh the table round~~~

COM'ON COM'ON!!!!

[quote name='The Crotch'] You should also pick up Breath of Fire III and IV.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll look into those. Do you recommend one over the other?

The story in Final Fantasy Tactics would likely be just what you're looking for. If you like Vandal Hearts in the slightest, you'll absolutely love FFT--VH is like its ugly, dumb, and shallow older brother. I don't mean that Vandal Hearts is necessarily bad, as I actually enjoyed it and its sequel quite a bit, but FFT does everything much better.

Try Final Fantasy XII--I would argue it's the best RPG of last generation, but a lot of people didn't seem to care for it.

Have you played Shadow of the Colossus? It's not an RPG, but in terms of a fantastic, other-wordly atmosphere, I haven't played anything close.

I haven't played Breath of Fire IV (even though I've had a sealed copy for almost five years), but Breath of Fire III is slow. It's a great game, but it can get extremely tedious at points--keep that in mind. I've heard IV is a much improved title. Frankly, if DQVIII wasn't your thing, you'd probably be wasting your time with these.

KNIGHTS OF JUSTICE WTF I SAY KNIGHTS OF JUSTICE IS WTF I SAY

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjhbOH8m2U[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1-NrXI-770[/media]

how can this NOT be a good game?!?!?!

get to work squeenix!!!!!

[quote name='whoknows']Does Drakengard count? I'm playing the first Drakengard and really enjoying it.[/QUOTE]

I think that looks like my kind of game. I wonder if anyone here has played both the first Drakengard and its sequel and can tell me which one is better?

[quote name='boyward']I think that looks like my kind of game. I wonder if anyone here has played both the first Drakengard and its sequel and can tell me which one is better?[/QUOTE]
Gameplay: The second one is better
Storyline: The first one is better

The first Drakengard has a great plot because it was so unlike anything else out there. It was centered around madness, vengenace and death. Everything from the characters to the music itself reflected that to great effect. The whole game seemed like a tale of Caim's descent into madness.

Drakengard 2 fixed up the gameplay a lot, but the story was a lot weaker. It felt watered down and tame when compared to the first game. Though it had its moments too.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Gameplay: The second one is better
Storyline: The first one is better

The first Drakengard has a great plot because it was so unlike anything else out there. It was centered around madness, vengenace and death. Everything from the characters to the music itself reflected that to great effect. The whole game seemed like a tale of Caim's descent into madness.

Drakengard 2 fixed up the gameplay a lot, but the story was a lot weaker. It felt watered down and tame when compared to the first game. Though it had its moments too.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the summation. It sounds like maybe I'd be better off waiting for a Drakengard 3.

[quote name='boyward']Thanks for the summation. It sounds like maybe I'd be better off waiting for a Drakengard 3.[/QUOTE]
You mean LAIR? :lol:

I wonder if there will be a Drakengard 3...but if you get a PS3 by April I think LAIR will be everything Drakengard wishes it was.

[quote name='Pancake Rabbit']Drakan the Ancients' Gate would probably be right up your alley

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/014/014424.html

It's an action-RPG it plays kind of like a combination between Zelda and Diablo. Plus you get to ride a dragon.[/QUOTE]

I had completely forgotten about Drakan. Thanks for the reminder! :applause:

[quote name='Whoknows']You mean LAIR?

I wonder if there will be a Drakengard 3...but if you get a PS3 by April I think LAIR will be everything Drakengard wishes it was.[/quote]

If I had a PS3 that would the first game on my wishlist. I've been drooling over that game ever since it was announced. :drool:

I would say go with Final Fantasy XII.
It is NOT "kooky" at all and is based in the FF tactics world of Ivalice and the Vagrant Story guys had a hand in making it. The game is really fun, and probably underrated (IMO). Its unlike any other FF game I have played (and keep in mind that I greatly disliked VII - X). Check it out if you get the chance.

Majesty was a great medieval real time strategy game for the PC. LOTS of fun and very different. You influence your heroes rather than commanding them directly.

I would say go with Final Fantasy XII.
It is NOT "kooky" at all and is based in the FF tactics world of Ivalice and the Vagrant Story guys had a hand in making it. The game is really fun, and probably underrated (IMO). Its unlike any other FF game I have played (and keep in mind that I greatly disliked VII - X). Check it out if you get the chance.

Majesty was a great medieval real time strategy game for the PC. LOTS of fun and very different. You influence your heroes rather than commanding them directly.

[quote name='kittycatgirl2k']I would say go with Final Fantasy XII.
It is NOT "kooky" at all and is based in the FF tactics world of Ivalice and the Vagrant Story guys had a hand in making it. The game is really fun, and probably underrated (IMO). Its unlike any other FF game I have played (and keep in mind that I greatly disliked VII - X). Check it out if you get the chance.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. I'm waiting for a price drop on that one. Thanks for the recommendation. :D

I was trying to think of more games that would fit into that criteria and I came up with a few B listers from my collection:: also not implying that God of War or Fire Emblem are Blist games, just put them in the list too since I thought about them.

Gauntlet Seven Sorrows - action RPG. Not that great really
Gauntlet Legends - see above lol
Summoner 2
Drakan Ancients Gates - platform/RPG/riding dragons
God of War - like Devil may Cry but mythology based. Not really dragons but cool creatures and swords.

for xbox there is Fable and Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes

Gamecube has Summoner Goddess Reborn and Fire Emblem

Fantasy stuff used to be the bread and butter of PC gaming back in the 80s. Its too bad they havent revisited this wealth of influence for the current generation. How cool would a real Dragonlance game be? Or some legit games based off of Conan/Red Sonja, etc. I know these exist in PCs graphically challenged past, but would love to see modern updates.

[quote name='kittycatgirl2k']I was trying to think of more games that would fit into that criteria and I came up with a few B listers from my collection:: also not implying that God of War or Fire Emblem are Blist games, just put them in the list too since I thought about them.

Gauntlet Seven Sorrows - action RPG. Not that great really
Gauntlet Legends - see above lol
Summoner 2
Drakan Ancients Gates - platform/RPG/riding dragons
God of War - like Devil may Cry but mythology based. Not really dragons but cool creatures and swords.

for xbox there is Fable and Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes

Gamecube has Summoner Goddess Reborn and Fire Emblem

Fantasy stuff used to be the bread and butter of PC gaming back in the 80s. Its too bad they havent revisited this wealth of influence for the current generation. How cool would a real Dragonlance game be? Or some legit games based off of Conan/Red Sonja, etc. I know these exist in PCs graphically challenged past, but would love to see modern updates.[/QUOTE]

I think you and I would get along really well. A Dragonlance game would be awesome, as would a Conan. I really enjoyed Fable as well, though I preferred the Lost Chapters since it had a dragon battle at the end.

I also really enjoyed EA's Lord of the Rings hack-n-slash games and Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone. Are there any other fantasy games that have lots of action but let you level up your player? I'm about to pend a trade for Record of Lodoss War on Dreamcast.

In response to The Crotch's post, I'd like to know which Ivalice it is too.

Thanks to this thread, so far I have ordered/traded for:

Summoner 2 (actually I got the Gamecube port)
Drakan: The Ancient's Gate
Breath of Fire IV

and I'm considering the other recommendations as well. Thank you all for your input.

[quote name='defiance_17']The story in Final Fantasy Tactics would likely be just what you're looking for. If you like Vandal Hearts in the slightest, you'll absolutely love FFT[/quote]

I LOVED Vandal Hearts 1. It's the very last Japanese strategy RPG I loved. And I HATE both Final Fantasy Tactics games....so it's all YMMV.

As I was reading the original post, my first thoughts were of stuff like Baldur's Gate on PC...except you've already played those.

I think you'll probably find more stuff in that style (if I'm understanding what you're looking for) on PC than on consoles, since more American stuff is like that than Japanese stuff.

I'd have to advice against Drakken. It was okay, but there are so many PC games that do what it was trying to do better. It felt dated when it came out (and just felt kind of clunky to me). It wasn't terrible though, so hopefully you might enjoy it.

I've got just the game -- Legion: The Legend of Excalibur.

It's about King Arthur and it's kind of like Baldur's Gate or Champions in its style. There is the problem that the game really sucks, but if you don't mind that, then it matches your criteria perfectly.

ill say FFXII too, is got everything you want:

1) simple cliche medievel plots (assasinate the king take teh throne lol )
2) all the medievel war stuff (knights), and cool weapons
3) they talk like a shakespeare play
4) action oriented game play not that different from champions of norrath.
5) tons of dragons, and other legendary beasts for sidequests.

is really fun, give it a try, is not for everyone though, alot of people seems to hate anything innovative they do with final fantasy.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'd have to advice against Drakken. It was okay, but there are so many PC games that do what it was trying to do better. It felt dated when it came out (and just felt kind of clunky to me). It wasn't terrible though, so hopefully you might enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I hope so, since I already ordered it. :roll: ;) Which PC games were you thinking of, Wolfpup?

Hey, I thought of another good medieval-RPG kind of game: Monster Hunter. I've only played Monster Hunter Freedom (PSP), but I loved the creatures in that game. It was a little too involved for me and I eventually laid it aside because I was frustrated with my lack of progress, but I still revisit it from time to time just to get chased by those monstrous carnivores. :D

Oh, and thanks for the all the FFXII recommendations. Even if it does have bunnies in it I will definitely check it out when it's more affordable.

Do any of Namco's "Tales" games have that medieval/fantasy feel to them?

[quote name='boyward']Do any of Namco's "Tales" games have that medieval/fantasy feel to them?[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm defining medieval differently than you, but they didn't seem terribly medieval to me. Tales of the Abyss has two playable characters in the royal family, and the plot is sort of focused on rival nations.. but that's about it. Regardless, I love the games.

Yggdra Union (GBA) is sort of medieval from the small amount I've played, and the gameplay is really awesome.

Final Fantasy 12 doesn't remotely have a medieval feel to it either. It's a good game, but it wouldn't seem to fit the criteria.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I LOVED Vandal Hearts 1. It's the very last Japanese strategy RPG I loved. And I HATE both Final Fantasy Tactics games....so it's all YMMV.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed VH a great deal, but I think it's safe to say you're in a severe minority with that opinion. It's like the Mystic Quest of strategy-RPGs, with spraying fountains of blood.

Even with the below-average (by today's standards, anyway) translation, I still feel that FFT is head-and-shoulders above any other SRPG. From a gameplay level, Disgaea and the more recent Fire Emblems are very close (and in some aspects even better), but they just don't have the story to match.

[quote name='defiance_17']I enjoyed VH a great deal, but I think it's safe to say you're in a severe minority with that opinion. It's like the Mystic Quest of strategy-RPGs, with spraying fountains of blood.[/quote]

I might be in the minority (probably-seems like most people either love FFT or hate the genre completely). I'm REALLY picky about what strategy RPGs I like. I loved Shining Force 2, loved Vandal Hearts, loved Dragon Force and a hand full of others. HATE both Final Fantasy Tactics, etc. I didn't like FFT's story either (although to be fair I didn't get very far).

I even repurchased a copy and tried playing through it again a year or two back, and still hated it.

[quote name='JEKKI']haha, Enix made a King Arthur and the Knights of Justice game for SNES,

squeenix gotta remake dat shit for reals!!

king_arthur_justice.jpg

Arthur and the Knights of Justice! pushing evil down!!

duh duh duh duh duh duh duh the table round~~~

COM'ON COM'ON!!!![/quote]

YES :bow:

The story in Final Fantasy Tactics would likely be just what you're looking for. If you like Vandal Hearts in the slightest, you'll absolutely love FFT--VH is like its ugly, dumb, and shallow older brother. I don't mean that Vandal Hearts is necessarily bad, as I actually enjoyed it and its sequel quite a bit, but FFT does everything much better.

While I disagree with Wolfpup's view of Metal Gear Solid 3, I agree with his love of Vandal Hearts 1. While the gameplay is shallow compared to many RPGs, the focus on storyline is much tighter. I thought the art design in VH1 was quite good, actually.

FF12 is based on FFT Advance, but FFTA is not worth playing while FF12 is. FFT is a great game, but the story can get confusing at times.

If you have an Xbox, give Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind a try. It's fantasy medieval, no dragons, but a lot of great story and a lot of freedom. Not Japanese at all.

[quote name='espy605']If you have an Xbox, give Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind a try. It's fantasy medieval, no dragons, but a lot of great story and a lot of freedom. Not Japanese at all.[/QUOTE]

Played it (the Game of the Year Edition), liked it quite a bit, but I enjoyed Fable: The Lost Chapters more. I also liked Gladius.

bread's done
Back