- - - - -

Woman drinks so much water she dies (wii related)

#31 nintendokid   MAGUS WANTS ME BAN 4 LIFE CAGiversary!   922 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

nintendokid

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

We can't even go to the local weight training, swimming pool, skiing resort, and wall-climbing facilities without signing and initialing a waiver form which does go over risks and death and the fact that you go in willingly by your own judgement.

I can guarantee that the radio station will have a good lawyer and will not be touched.

It's a tragedy. Things like this do happen but the radio station should not be blamed because she was in the position in which she can say "No, I quit" at any time.

What should happen if a man accidentally and tragically hits a tree while skiing and they find out he has 4 kids? Should they be given $250,000 or $500,000? Maybe $1,000,000? Yes, if it was the fault of the ski resort but in this case, that is why they have waivers to cover their back door. Like I said, it's tragic, I feel for the kids. But this isn't as simple as a "Your mom came to my radio station to have a meeting and slipped off our soapy stairs and died." situation.

The radio station should have a big-ass fundraiser and food/clothing drive for the kids. THat would be the right thing to do.
[URL="http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1631519#post1631519"][/URL]

#32 judyjudyjudy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3593 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

judyjudyjudy

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

my bar used to hold a bladder buster contest. all drinks were 1 dollar until someone pissed. it was great. no one ever died. this is a fluke tragedy that could have been avoided with proper precautions that the radio station didnt take.( a tablespoon of salt would have aleviated the problem). the radio station was ignorant of the dangers as were the contestants. ultimately, the station will be held responsible.

I totally agree. I don't like frivolous lawsuits either, but I think the station should be liable for encouraging dangerous behavior with no safety precautions.
My games, DVDs, and feedback.

#33 io   ... Super Moderators   24643 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:53 AM

I totally agree. I don't like frivolous lawsuits either, but I think the station should be liable for encouraging dangerous behavior with no safety precautions.

This is basically what I'm saying here. This is totally different than someone slipping on stairs or even a skiing accident. I'm not saying the kids DESERVE to get it no matter what, I'm just getting on people for putting down the family SHOULD THEY CHOOSE TO GO THIS ROUTE (which we don't even know, do we?). The reason for suing wouldn't be to "bring the mom back to life" as some of you ridiculed - it would simply be to help pay for her lost income. This has nothing to do with the merits of the case which would be heard in court. If it is frivolous, it will get tossed out (though what thagoat points out indicates that there is a shred of merit here, anyway). There's far fewer of these big-money frivolous lawsuits that ACTUALLY get paid out than people think. Yes, people file them, yes, talk radio harps on them, but in the end they aren't that big a deal.

#34 -Never4ever-   That Guy. CAGiversary!   7832 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

-Never4ever-

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:47 AM

io has a point; the radio station should do something, whether they want to or not, to help out the kids of that mom. She was willing to truly go the distance for her kids, and sadly died for it.

#35 LunaticPuma   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   127 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

LunaticPuma

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:52 AM

The issue here is that you drop your salt concentrations and essentially reverse the natural diffusion of ions into/out of your cells. Too much water outside the cells drops the concentration and reverses the diffusion gradient.

Not water drinks contain more ions than just water. Hell, a glass full of 100% pure water would kill you by the time it got to your stomach. The body's chemistry is pretty sensitive. The reason she died while the winner lived is because she was smaller from the reports that I've heard. I would guess a guy or large woman probably won.

Anyone who thinks the radio station doesn't deserve a lawsuit is out of their mind. I think it might be illegal to hold a contest where the contestants have to do something which has death as a direct consequence. Any doctor would you tell this should never ever be tried at all. I personally hope whoever came up with the contest goes to jail.

#36 hdtvrand   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   29 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

hdtvrand

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:06 AM

Heads up from Gonintendo.com

http://www.contracos...te/16475170.htm

#37 porieux   Brutal CAGiversary!   2173 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:14 AM

Anyone who thinks the radio station is not to blame here is a jackass, pure and simple.

Although frankly I think you have to be pretty dumb to listen to a radio show like that, but you shouldn't be killed for it.

Remember, the station was doing this for their own benefit.

#38 judyjudyjudy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3593 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

judyjudyjudy

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:47 AM

Here's an older article with comments from two other contestants:
http://www.miami.com...ld/16466226.htm
I mean, a nurse called in and commented about how what they were doing was dangerous, and they ignored her. One of the contestants vomited right after their last bottle at the station... and they still kept going. The waivers "addressed only publicity issues and made no mention of health or safety concerns". In another article, the winner said they also felt sick and vomited afterwards.

#39 hdtvrand   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   29 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

hdtvrand

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:46 AM

Here's another update:

http://www.news10.ne...x?storyid=23418

Says one of the hosts can be heard talking about the dangers of water intoxication.

#40 Stingermck   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   597 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Stingermck

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:53 PM

10 people fired now. From Gamestop:

Wii-contest radio station fires 10 staff

KDND 107.9's Morning Rave off air indefinitely after the death of a woman in a water-drinking competition.
By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK
Posted Jan 17, 2007 3:56 am PT

A California radio station has fired 10 employees, including five on-air personalities, after Jennifer Strange, a mother of three, died following her participation in a "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" competition, reports the Sacramento Bee. The 28-year-old died of water intoxication, having consumed an estimated two gallons of water in an attempt to win a Nintendo console for her children. The winner of the contest was to be the person who managed to drink the most water without going to the bathroom.

Strange called into her office after the show and told a coworker that she had a "really bad" headache and would be going straight home. She was found dead in her Rancho Cordova home on Friday afternoon by her mother, who had gone to check on her after being contacted by the concerned coworker.

The DJs had made comments joking about people dying from water intoxication during the show, according to the Sacramento Bee. There was even a discussion about a "poor kid in college"--presumably Matthew Carrington, who also died from water intoxication after a fraternity hazing ritual. One person dismissed the link by saying, "Yeah, well, he was doing other things." During the show, one DJ also admitted, "Maybe we should have researched this."

Two hours into the contest, a female caller, who identified herself as Eva, phoned in to warn the radio station that drinking too much water can kill. She said, "Those people that are drinking all that water can get sick and possibly die from water intoxication." One DJ replied, "We are aware of that," while another added, "They signed releases, so we're not responsible. It's OK."

Twenty contestants took part in the competition, including Strange, who was the runner-up. Other participants said that they became concerned when one woman lay on the ground, with her teeth chattering, and looking pale. At one point Strange was lying on the ground but told staff that she "could probably drink more" if someone could pick her up.

Despite the sackings, the Sacramento County Sheriff John McGinness said that there would not be a criminal investigation. He said, "It's not as if she was somehow in their custody and they had a role to care for her. Rather, it was an invitation to a contest that was clearly ill-advised. She was exercising her free will."

A notice on the radio station's Web site stated that an investigation was underway. It reads, "First and foremost, our thoughts and sympathies go out to Jennifer's family and loved ones. I also want to assure you that the circumstances regarding this matter are being examined as thoroughly as possible. We are doing everything we can to deal with this difficult situation in a manner that is both respectful and responsible."

http://www.gamespot....ws/6164262.html

#41 foltzie   Member Title CAGiversary!   3199 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:14 PM

Anyone who thinks the radio station is not to blame here is a jackass, pure and simple.

Although frankly I think you have to be pretty dumb to listen to a radio show like that, but you shouldn't be killed for it.

Remember, the station was doing this for their own benefit.

Call me a jackass, because its not 100% the radio stations fault. Personally, I have no sympathy for someone who isnt smart enough to avoid poisoning themselves.

The mother can certainly be acused of contributory negligence on her own part. The most recently posted story showed that this woman asked to be propped back up for more water.

It will be interesting to see how this works out legally, as waivers cannot completely waive the radio stations negligence either. It wont be criminal, but rather civil in scope.

One final note, the radio station could have avoided this problem had the contest had been to just drink a smaller amount of ice water or cold beer and just hold their bladders. Of course, knowning morning radio, the chugging portions make for better radio than just waiting.

#42 porieux   Brutal CAGiversary!   2173 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:11 PM

Yeah let's live in a society where it's ok to trick people into killing themselves (or lose their life's savings, etc etc) for your own personal gain. Hey, as long as they did it of their own 'free will' no problemo right? Don't think you are immune, anyone can get scammed in the right situation.

#43 schuerm26   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4571 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:31 PM

Manslaughter Charges In Water-Drinking Contest?

The Sacramento sheriff's office is investigating the possibility of criminal manslaughter charges on behalf of Jennifer Strange, who died last Friday in the water-drinking contest on Entercom CHR/top 40 KDND (107.9 The End)/Sacramento. Sheriff John McGinness told the Sacramento Bee that he will meet with officials from the DA's office this afternoon to take a closer look at Strange's death.

Initially, McGinness said that he didn't think a criminal case would take place since Strange freely took part in the contest, but having reviewed tapes of the show in question -- during which the Morning Rave­ were warned of and then dismissed the potential dangers of water intoxication on the air -- he thinks there may be the potential for a criminal case.

#44 lanleague   Wingardium Leviosa! CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:23 AM

Manslaughter Charges In Water-Drinking Contest?

The Sacramento sheriff's office is investigating the possibility of criminal manslaughter charges on behalf of Jennifer Strange, who died last Friday in the water-drinking contest on Entercom CHR/top 40 KDND (107.9 The End)/Sacramento. Sheriff John McGinness told the Sacramento Bee that he will meet with officials from the DA's office this afternoon to take a closer look at Strange's death.

Initially, McGinness said that he didn't think a criminal case would take place since Strange freely took part in the contest, but having reviewed tapes of the show in question -- during which the Morning Rave­ were warned of and then dismissed the potential dangers of water intoxication on the air -- he thinks there may be the potential for a criminal case.

After listening to the clip, they didn't dismiss the danger, they acknowledged it, and then proceeded to state that the contestants had signed a waiver.

#45 BREVITY   The Soul of Wit. CAGiversary!   1753 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:11 AM

Oh you know someone is going to take this to court. Hell if I care, I hope those poor kids get some cash though. No amount of money will make up for the loss of their mom though. Its not like she knowingly killed herself, she was just pushing herself hard to be the winner and maybe snag a system for the kids. Those kids are the real losers. Sad story.

I am hearing that some of the former and current workers at the station are on air making fun of the lady after she died. I hope someone beats the Fuck out of them for shit like that. Might just be a roomer since I have not heard the actual recording but if true thats dam low.
3DS Friend Code:4382-1988-8437 QR Image http://yfrog.com/gzvezjyj
iOS GameCenter Name: BREVITY
Posted ImagePosted Image
Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

#46 GizmoGC   I love Cheese CAGiversary!   12382 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:00 AM

Any pictures of the girl? Before death.

#47 jtbradford   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   77 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

jtbradford

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:03 PM

I can't believe people are bashing this lady. Sure, she was foolish to keep going like she did, but there were mixed messages about the danger present. That should have been up front, and it sure doesn't sound like it was.

If you're going to hold a contest, you should do some research into possible risks. Sure, the contestants should have as well, but for the contest-makers, it's just inexcusable and negligent.
Posted Image

#48 porieux   Brutal CAGiversary!   2173 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:10 PM

I am hearing that some of the former and current workers at the station are on air making fun of the lady after she died. I hope someone beats the Fuck out of them for shit like that. Might just be a roomer since I have not heard the actual recording but if true thats dam low.

I thought they got fired? With a possible criminal investigation this
seems unlikely, but then again those DJs are pretty fuckcking stupid, clearly.

#49 Nogib   *squeezing* the *juice* CAGiversary!   1455 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:13 AM

:-({|=
End of line.

#50 chimpian   Now 10% more chimp CAGiversary!   1643 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:35 PM

Anyone hear the audio of the show?
apparently she couldnt even stand by the end of it and 'looked like hell'

It was oon O and A on thurs morning i think.....kinda weird hearing a woman dying like that and all the show does is laugh and play stupid sounds.
jerk offs

ps when she left if she felt so bad why not go to the hospital?
i heard all she had to do was get a conentrated salin solution introduced to her system interveniusly(sp) and she would have been ok.
vivat grendel

Posted Image

#51 foltzie   Member Title CAGiversary!   3199 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:20 PM

I can't believe people are bashing this lady. Sure, she was foolish to keep going like she did, but there were mixed messages about the danger present. That should have been up front, and it sure doesn't sound like it was.

If you're going to hold a contest, you should do some research into possible risks. Sure, the contestants should have as well, but for the contest-makers, it's just inexcusable and negligent.

Welcome to the adult world, it wasnt just foolish it was deadly and ultimately that woman killed herself. Even if people at the radio station do get charged with manslaughter she was an active participant. Perhaps if you dont understand the risks you shouldnt participate in stunts.

What the radio station should have done is largely irrelvant, this woman was far to willing to put her life in the hands of a couple of radio disc jockeys. The Darwin Awards are made for people like this woman.

#52 judyjudyjudy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3593 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

judyjudyjudy

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:31 PM

Welcome to the adult world, it wasnt just foolish it was deadly and ultimately that woman killed herself. Even if people at the radio station do get charged with manslaughter she was an active participant. Perhaps if you dont understand the risks you shouldnt participate in stunts.

What the radio station should have done is largely irrelvant, this woman was far to willing to put her life in the hands of a couple of radio disc jockeys. The Darwin Awards are made for people like this woman.

I don't think most people know what water intoxication is, and water gives the general impression of being harmless, so I don't really feel this woman is a candidate for the Darwin Awards. (I also think that's a really harsh statement.) Even if you think she was stupid, the radio station shouldn't be holding contests where death is a very likely consequence. If they held a radio contest using Russian roulette, I don't care how stupid their contestants have to be to participate, holding the contest is just plain wrong.

#53 shieryda   Opus Eponymous CAGiversary!   9251 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

Repost. Mods, please lock.

#54 foltzie   Member Title CAGiversary!   3199 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:02 PM

I don't think most people know what water intoxication is, and water gives the general impression of being harmless, so I don't really feel this woman is a candidate for the Darwin Awards. (I also think that's a really harsh statement.) Even if you think she was stupid, the radio station shouldn't be holding contests where death is a very likely consequence. If they held a radio contest using Russian roulette, I don't care how stupid their contestants have to be to participate, holding the contest is just plain wrong.

I am not absolving the radio station of anything. If the manslaughter shoe fits the station GM can wear it to jail. I happen to think the entire lot at the station should have been fired, which looks to have occurred. The possible civil case against the station will probably going to be found in favor of the mother's estate, as it should due to their contributions to the situation.

However, the mother shouldn’t get a free pass for her own stupidity. She willingly turned her safety over to a statements of a couple of morning radio jocks. She then proceeded to poison herself on water, even asking for assistance in continuing at one point. Well known or not, we are all ultimately responsible for our own actions. Blaming someone else is just an excuse.

As for the Darwin Award suggestion, it was indeed harsh as is the very definition of those awards. Those awards serve as a morbidly funny and blunt reminder that stupid actions can have severe consequences.

#55 judyjudyjudy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3593 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

judyjudyjudy

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:13 PM

I think our disagreement is that I don't think she was that stupid (which is why I think the Darwin Award comment was harsh), especially given her surroundings. Drinking a lot of water doesn't equate to jumping out a window to me (it's certainly not as funny).

Edited to add: And I agree that she isn't 100% free from responsibility for her own death. She did choose to drink to the point of water intoxication. People do make mistakes, and sometimes people die from their mistakes.

#56 Skylander7   Accidental Engineer/Beer Snob CAGiversary!   2214 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Skylander7

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:33 PM

Anyone hear the audio of the show?
apparently she couldnt even stand by the end of it and 'looked like hell'

It was oon O and A on thurs morning i think.....kinda weird hearing a woman dying like that and all the show does is laugh and play stupid sounds.
jerk offs

ps when she left if she felt so bad why not go to the hospital?
i heard all she had to do was get a conentrated salin solution introduced to her system interveniusly(sp) and she would have been ok.

They played the audio from it on the Bubba the Love Sponge Show on Sirius. The radio twats SHOULD be held at least partly responsible for this. One actually made the comment "They've signed disclaimers, we're not responsible if anything happens." The fucking DJ's were sitting there laughing at it. One lady from the station chimes in "isn't this dangerous? You could get water poisoning from this." The stupid fucks then start making fun of her for the comment.

Another thing.. yeah, they got audio of the lady as she was getting sick from the water. I hope the corporate bull shit station DOES get the shit sued out of them; they should've done their research before they held the contest.

#57 Danil ACE   Agent 47 CAGiversary!   1156 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:32 AM

I agree that the radio station was irresponsible and I think that it was partly their fault, but I doubt anything can be done. The contestants signed waivers, which undoubtfully mentioned a possiblity of death. Like someone here said, it's not like the contestants were forced to do this. They could stop whenever they felt like it.

#58 starman9000   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1830 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

starman9000

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:32 PM

I agree that the radio station was irresponsible and I think that it was partly their fault, but I doubt anything can be done. The contestants signed waivers, which undoubtfully mentioned a possiblity of death.

I thought someone said the waivers were mainly publicity related, but even if they did mention death, if the company was negligent the waiver won't protect them. Basically you aren't allowed to contribute to someones death just because you got them to sign a paper.
"Just give me the cheapass games mmmmkay!!"

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=51530

#59 jshendel   4 8 15 16 23 42 CAGiversary!   479 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

jshendel

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:24 PM

freaky

jshendel.png

#60 robin2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   243 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

robin2099

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:44 AM

I thought someone said the waivers were mainly publicity related, but even if they did mention death, if the company was negligent the waiver won't protect them. Basically you aren't allowed to contribute to someones death just because you got them to sign a paper.

Yep. Right now, after listening to the tape, they can be prosocuted with negligent homicide/involuntary manslaughter. The problem mainly is, who do you actually bring up on the charges.