World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Collector's Edition Scalpers

CounterSeal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Now that the current gen console scalping wars are nearly over, who's planning on reselling the WoW: BC Collector's Edition? I stood out of the console reselling because it seemed to be much more risky. However the BC CE is only made in limited quantities.

As a long time WoW addict, I have quit and have no intention of going back, so I've pre-ordered many, many copies of the CE from various sources. I posted two of my copies as pre-orders (similar to Wii and PS3 pre-order scalping) and both of them sold for $310-$330. The only challenge is to resist the temptation of going back to the game...

Anyone else in a similar situation? If so, please tell.

[quote name='CounterSeal']Now that the current gen console scalping wars are nearly over, who's planning on reselling the WoW: BC Collector's Edition? I stood out of the console reselling because it seemed to be much more risky. However the BC CE is only made in limited quantities.

As a long time WoW addict, I have quit and have no intention of going back, so I've pre-ordered many, many copies of the CE from various sources. I posted two of my copies as pre-orders (similar to Wii and PS3 pre-order scalping) and both of them sold for $310-$330. The only challenge is to resist the temptation of going back to the game...

Anyone else in a similar situation? If so, please tell.[/quote]

I dislike the whole scalping thing I find something just not right about it, but then thats me

if the price is right, ill put my CE on ebay and just buy a regular edition. They're going for about $150 right now on ebay. not that worth it really. I want to try and camp outside of Fry's monday for another CE edition to just keep.

the beauty of this is that once the cd key is used, the reselling becomes useless unless you sell the main WoW account with some high level char. so it's only going to increase in value over time, ie WoW CE.

That's very true. The regular WoW accounts with the original CE sold significantly more than WoW accounts without the CE. Some people mainly want the Zergling/Panda/Diablo and they're willing to pay a premium for it too, which I can understand. Heck, even sealed copies of the original WoW CE still sells for quite alot today.

I have 3 copies pre-ordered myself, 1 to open, 1 to keep sealed and the other 1 to sell to make up the price of the first 2 I kept.

because it comes with awesome goodies:

+ World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade on both CD and DVD
+ World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Behind-the-Scenes DVD
+ The Art of World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Hardcover Art Book
+ Exclusive In-Game Pet: Netherwhelp
+ Two World of Warcraft Trading Card Game Starter Packs, plus Exclusive Cards
+ Map of Outland Mouse Pad
+ World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Soundtrack CD

[quote name='AshesofWake']yeah there's a true limited amount.[/QUOTE]

Also, fans of WoW are rabid and this exclusive pet is like some kind of badge of honor... people who played excessively MUST have it, no matter the cost.

I plan on throwing quite a few of these up on Ebay.

[quote name='AshesofWake']anybody know if Target is getting any CE's?[/QUOTE]

They should... they got every other CE Blizzard ever put out.

The question is, will stores have these the day they open, or do we have to wait for the shipment to come in?

So we're nearing D-Day here... are these time dated and already in stores? Cause I'll head to Target at 8 am if they are going to have these for sale, get some breakfast, then run over to Best Buy at 10.

If not, I'll just sleep in.

I had a preorder from Amazon for 60 but I cancelled it because I read something from a blizzard employee that said they were going to make a shit ton of them this time.

[quote name='Kayden']I had a preorder from Amazon for 60 but I cancelled it because I read something from a blizzard employee that said they were going to make a shit ton of them this time.[/quote]

link?

[quote name='Kayden']I had a preorder from Amazon for 60 but I cancelled it because I read something from a blizzard employee that said they were going to make a shit ton of them this time.[/QUOTE]

I've heard just the opposite, that they were making the production numbers small on purpose.

I guess it all depends on how many I see at BB / CC tomorrow... if I see a few, I knew it'll be hot, but if I see 40 + then I know it's not worth it. Hoping since I'm EST I can go ahead and get it sold long before the flood of them shows up.

[quote name='Roufuss']I've heard just the opposite, that they were making the production numbers small on purpose.

I guess it all depends on how many I see at BB / CC tomorrow... if I see a few, I knew it'll be hot, but if I see 40 + then I know it's not worth it. Hoping since I'm EST I can go ahead and get it sold long before the flood of them shows up.[/quote]
If even there's a ton of copies, the signed copies will still be a hot commodity.

[quote name='2poor']If even there's a ton of copies, the signed copies will still be a hot commodity.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't live in CA so that dosen't help ;)

[quote name='Roufuss']Well, I don't live in CA so that dosen't help ;)[/quote]
If you want a copy I can sell you mine for $2000. :D

[quote name='Kayden']I had a preorder from Amazon for 60 but I cancelled it because I read something from a blizzard employee that said they were going to make a shit ton of them this time.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. Blizzard soooooo overproduced the Warcraft 3 CE that you could still find those in stores a full two years after it came out. Ever since that fiasco, they decided to make their CEs truly limited. Yes, I firmly believe that the BC CE is being produced in larger numbers than the original WoW CE, but still not as many as they could literally sell.

I plan to sell some since I am not a wow fan at all, but am I seriously going to have to campout tonight to get one? Spring semester starts tomorrow. Hmmm....

The only thing that might happen is since everyone and their Mother is getting this to resell, the value might drop like a brick.

I call it the Fatal Frame 3 syndrome.

[quote name='Roufuss']The only thing that might happen is since everyone and their Mother is getting this to resell, the value might drop like a brick.

I call it the Fatal Frame 3 syndrome.[/quote]

I don't know man. I am looking at this differently. For example,with the ps3, everyone and their mothers wanted to resell. With wow, I think its the opposite. One, ps3 resellers aren't fully aware like they were with the ps3. Two, the wow fanbase is so crazy and big that, I think, people inline will keep the C.E. for themselves to satisfy their wow needs.

Now here are the two ways I see things happening

Market ends up getting flooded, money to be made goes down, yet still profitable.

Scenario 2 (what im hoping to happen)

The wow crazies that end up coming short will be forced to buy from ebay because they love the game that much. They love the game so much that they are pretty much willing to pay a crazy price. Hopefully, many many many wow crazies head to ebay and demand sky rockets...

I have no idea on how it will play out. I prb won't even get one because of the lines I predict...anyway, I'll be getting up early to take the chance. No way will people lose money, at the worst just break even.

shoot, looks like target is my only hope. My new school sch. runs into the opening times of BB and CC...NNNooooooooooooo! Oh well. School first kids, school first.

Anyone know the deal with WM?

Believe me, resellers know... everytime any major clearance happens (i.e, Fatal Frame 3) resellers are always there to grab en masse to make a profit.

I don't think scenario #2 will happen at all... why? The market will implode, mark my words. This is the Fatal Frame 3 syndrome. It applies to ANY overpopulated game on Ebay but FF 3 is the most recent example I have.

Fatal Frame 3 was selling for around $35 - $40 before the big TRU clearance. Once TRU clearanced out, and once more people started finding it, sellers started undercutting each other. One guy lists it for $30, somebody wants to beat him and they list it at $28, then $26, eventually it'll hit a value where it will just stablize.

I think the first few people who put this up on Ebay WILL make a decent amount of change, but by the end of the day there will be so many on Ebay that the prices will plummet.

In a week, when there are no more or barely any up, prices will start rising.

It's not the customers I care about, it's the fact that the sellers themselves will kill the market just to make that sale before anyone else.

I highly doubt there will be any lines, most people who are WoW superfan's preordered this already.

Actually, since the BC CE is made in limited quanitities, this means that Blizzard won't be making anymore of these, ever. Just like how the original WoW CE, that CE actually rose in price months after WoW's release. To this day, you can still find the WoW CE (sealed) on ebay for well over $300.

My guess is that the CE will remain high regardless of time. Unlike the PS3 or Wii, the BC CE itself will not be made anymore.

Got lucky, got 2 at Walmart. They had lines, they sold through nearly 50 regular and 8 CE. Guy was just bringing out a box of CE when I was looking around the department. Listed on craigslist for now, see what the ebay market does.

Depending on how many there are, prices will drop throughout the day, but when you look a year from now or whatever and shelves are empty, prices will skyrocket again. Still not sure if the CE is worth it, I sort of want that exclusive ingame pet.

[quote name='Gojtron']Got lucky, got 2 at Walmart. They had lines, they sold through nearly 50 regular and 8 CE. Guy was just bringing out a box of CE when I was looking around the department. Listed on craigslist for now, see what the ebay market does.[/quote]

Thank you Goj. Off to WM I GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These things are already in all stores... Best Buy got smart and the regular edition is up for sale and in-store pickup right now on the website, but the CE is "coming soon" and not available for in-store pickup.

I think I'll head to Target at 8 am and snag one or two, and then see if I get lucky at Circuit City.

There is about 4 Target's, 2 Best Buy's, 2 Circuit City's, 2 CompUSA's, and a shitload of Wal-Mart's... I'm not worried about getting one, since I assume BB / CC got more than anyone else since they are advertising it.

[quote name='gunm']Gonna try and see if I can snag a copy of the CE tomorrow. There are a lot of options, so here's hoping.[/QUOTE]

Totally... I highly doubt people will be hitting up Target, I just hope Target actually has them on the shelf when they open and I don't have to track someone down to ask them.

[quote name='Roufuss']Totally... I highly doubt people will be hitting up Target, I just hope Target actually has them on the shelf when they open and I don't have to track someone down to ask them.[/QUOTE]
also some people were lucky enough to get the original CE when it was clearance, so they probably weren't sold right away.

[quote name='62t']also some people were lucky enough to get the original CE when it was clearance, so they probably weren't sold right away.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I remember that.

I remember someone on this website found one like, a year ago.

just got back from wal-mart.... one of em which my friend went to got 15, the one i went to got 5... all sold out

the one i went got like 15-20 regular one left
probably gonna go to target if i can wake up at 6-7am

[quote name='yuckfou']just got back from wal-mart.... one of em which my friend went to got 15, the one i went to got 5... all sold out

the one i went got like 15-20 regular one left
probably gonna go to target if i can wake up at 6-7am[/quote]

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My walmart had a limit of one per customer...I had to change clothing to get another. OMG 15!

Just wanted to throw out there that I just went to Target, as soon as they opened (8am) and they had NO CE's at all... not even a shelf tag for it. They had at least 50 regular editions though.

I went to Wal-Mart across the street and snagged the LAST CE on the shelf! Lady said this is the second or third one she's sold in 5 minutes.

[quote name='Roufuss']Just wanted to throw out there that I just went to Target, as soon as they opened (8am) and they had NO CE's at all... not even a shelf tag for it. They had at least 50 regular editions though.

I went to Wal-Mart across the street and snagged the LAST CE on the shelf! Lady said this is the second or third one she's sold in 5 minutes.[/QUOTE]

I went to Wal-Mart on my way home from work and the guy saw me looking at the PC games, without even asking me he just said "we sold out of both versions in 20 minutes" I was just sort of like "wow, really?" On my way out he caught me again and told me that the other walmart a few miles away was getting in quite a few (the other one isn't 24 hours) so i asked him if any of those were CEs "yeah, they're getting 6"

This thing seems to be living up to the hype of how limited it was gonna be. I'm so glad I got my order in from blizzard's online store when i had the chance.

bread's done
Back