CheapyD vs McDonalds' Japan "Mega Mac"

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
McDonald's recently launched the Mega Mac in Japan, which is basically a double Big Mac. Feeling like a regular Big Mac is something of a misnomer (it's not really that big), I decided to give it a try.

The sign exclaims, "Beef heaven!"
megamacsign.jpg

As you would expect:
1) The Mega Mac tastes just like a Big Mac, but with more "beef".
2) Reality is a lot different from the poster:

megamacreal.jpg

As an alternative to the normal "set" with with fries and a soda, McDonalds also offered a "special set" which came with fries, soda, Mega Mac, and 5 Chicken Mc Nuggets. I didn't notice that option until after I ordered, and my body appreciated the oversight.

That's actually making me hungry, I haven't had McDonald's in a looong time. How much is that tower of delicious-ness?

Okay... there are only two delicious things from McDonalds... their spicy McChicken things and a Big Mac... a double big mac though, wow.

Isnt a normal big mac like 1100 calories?

Could use a second slice of cheese on the top patty , otherwise looks good. I wonder if they'll ever come out in the US given the criticism that McDonalds has been dealing with since the movies "Super Size Me" and "Fast Food Nation".

HOLY SHIT CHEAPY!!!!

Ok, so attempts are being made to combat Obesity here in america, but McDonald's are trying to "fatten" up the people of Japan?

That's sick. Seriously. It's overkill.
One Big Mac, according to the US, has 570 calories with 30 grams of fat and 10 grams saturated fat. You would nearly double the numbers for the Mega Mac, but not quite because it appears to only have one slice of cheese with only three pieces of buns. But it's still incredibly gluttonous.
The one poster above brings up an interesting point-- they seem to be trying to Americanize the Japanese's eating habits. Which would be a travesty...

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']That's sick. Seriously. It's overkill.
One Big Mac, according to the US, has 570 calories with 30 grams of fat and 10 grams saturated fat. You would nearly double the numbers for the Mega Mac, but not quite because it appears to only have one slice of cheese with only three pieces of buns. But it's still incredibly gluttonous.
The one poster above brings up an interesting point-- they seem to be trying to Americanize the Japanese's eating habits. Which would be a travesty...[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken those numbers fall short of several Hardee's burgers (maybe not several but I think they have 1 or 2 with more calories than 1200).

Looking at Hardess Nutirition calculator:

2/3 lb Double Bacon Cheese Thickburger- 1300 Calories, 96 Grams of fat, 40 Grams of Sat. Fat

Speaking of that, I had a friend who worked at Cheesecake Factory (restaurant in KC, not sure if it's anywhere else) and 1 slice of their cheesecake had something like 2200 calories (not sure which variety). It was disgusting but damn it tastes good.

Do nihon jin actually go to McD's? I'm curious because I wouldn't expect McD's to get alot of business in Nihon unless they offered local delicacies.

[quote name='gunm']I can't believe a nihonjin would eat that. Is this particular Makudonarudo's catering to gaijin then?[/quote]As far as I can tell, every McDonald's in Tokyo has the same menu.

[quote name='CounterSeal']Do nihon jin actually go to McD's? I'm curious because I wouldn't expect McD's to get alot of business in Nihon unless they offered local delicacies.[/quote] Yes, Japanese people go to mcdonalds. There are not enough foreigners living in Japan to support McDonalds and they seem to do good business here. The menus are very similar to the USA menus with a few special additions now and then.

Yep. I was in Japan (Koriyama City, Fukushima Prefecture) in October of 2006. I was actually quite surprised to find some of our stores/food places there. I think the one that suprised me the most was the 7/11s on every damn corner. They had cool little mario bros toys that we drove around trying to find the whole 2 weeks i was there. But yes, I ate McDonalds three times while staying in Japan. Once thru the drive thru, second inside a mall type shop, and third at the Tokyo Norita Airport. The one thing that shocked me was the lack of sweet N sour sauce. They simply said they did not have it. My wife was quite dissapointed. I do love the fact they call it MacDonarudo tho. Hilarious...Anyway, the food tasted the same as it does in the states...I was not brave enough however to try the Shrimp Burger.

Magic

ps.
Oh and the double big mac is no problem, i remember in high school they introduced them to the states and me and some buddies would pound them in a matter of minutes.

I don't regularly eat fast food. In fact, I'm a little of a health nut... but I do enjoy eating fast food when the opportunity arises. With that said, here is to hoping that tower of cardiac arrest finds it's way overseas.

Just order 2 of the double cheeseburgers off the $1 menu and ask them to make it with thousand island dressing. You merge them to produce a $2 mega big mac.

[quote name='gofishn']Oh great, here come the food snobs.[/QUOTE]

sorry to have standards. that's fucking gross. :lol:

Food snobs..ugh...

Anyways, if you want to be more technical, the burger isn't that bad for you if you go meat and cheese only. You lose about 200 calories and about 20 grams of fat total, and it's still the heart of the burger.

Based on the size of the burger, plus what you're getting with it, it is good enough for one meal, if you had a light dinner and a light breakfast, you'd clock in around 2000 calories and 60-80 grams of fat depending on the other meals..

Therefore, it's not that big of a travesty or crime as some of you make it seem. I'm sure no one eats a mega mac daily, so what's the big deal?

And as for Japanese eating habits changing..let me tell you what changing Japanese eating habits gives you...

04.jpg

Unless of course, you prefer Japanese A cups [practically flatter than a thin guy's chest]

[quote name='Apossum']sorry to have standards. that's fucking gross. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I was surprised to see that it took so long for someone to quote me.

WTF is up with this "disgusting" talk? That Mega Mac, the BK Quad Stacker, and Scarlett Johansson are like the most beautiful things I ever saw.

[quote name='sarausagi']Food snobs..ugh...

Anyways, if you want to be more technical, the burger isn't that bad for you if you go meat and cheese only. You lose about 200 calories and about 20 grams of fat total, and it's still the heart of the burger.

Based on the size of the burger, plus what you're getting with it, it is good enough for one meal, if you had a light dinner and a light breakfast, you'd clock in around 2000 calories and 60-80 grams of fat depending on the other meals..

Therefore, it's not that big of a travesty or crime as some of you make it seem. I'm sure no one eats a mega mac daily, so what's the big deal?

And as for Japanese eating habits changing..let me tell you what changing Japanese eating habits gives you...

04.jpg

Unless of course, you prefer Japanese A cups [practically flatter than a thin guy's chest][/QUOTE]

i was soo gonna say something incredibly similar to this, but you did it far better than i did ;)!
...this made my day

I'm a few years off in my Japanese, so I can't recall the on/kun readings for a number of (in other words, any) kanji...so what's the word next to "beef" on the top of that poster in the OP?

The combined character meanings seem to suggest "Heaven Country," which, next to the word "beef," makes me giggle like you wouldn't believe.

[quote name='guyver2077']how could they get this before us....

the fat asses are over here[/QUOTE]

I can't believe it took that long for someone to say it.

That does not look as good as a Hardees chili burger but I give it a try. I would eat at Mc more if they would make the fries like they used to.

They should import that monster with a return of the 80's style fries.

[quote name='sarausagi'].let me tell you what changing Japanese eating habits gives you... boobs

Unless of course, you prefer Japanese A cups [practically flatter than a thin guy's chest][/quote]

We need a name here

[quote name='gunm']I can't believe a nihonjin would eat that. Is this particular Makudonarudo's catering to gaijin then?[/QUOTE]

I can vouch that this monstrosity is nationwide in Japan as I live deep in the countryside and we have it here too.

I stopped by JUSCO (a big department store/mall chain out here) on my way home from the city last weekend and I saw an ad for this beefy wonder and paused in awe.
I stocked up on food for the rest of the weekend but this sandwich had to be mine, so I got one for lunch. It seems to be REALLY popular too because out of the 10 people in line in front of me, 9 ordered it.

Pretty damned good, and oh-so-healthy too! :roll:

[quote name='sarausagi']And as for Japanese eating habits changing..let me tell you what changing Japanese eating habits gives you...[/quote]
Ahh...Operation Japanese D-Cup is well underway. :applause:

I think the real question that needs to be asked is why is there only one single slice of cheese on that thing? And why is it and the sauce on the bottom?

First I thought CheapyD was holding it upside down, but the picture shows the cheese on the bottom too... Is that a weird Japanese thing, or does McDs do this everywhere now, I haven't been to one in a while (I prefer taco bell)

[quote name='CheapyD']Yeah, it's "Beef Heaven".[/QUOTE]

Hmm. That's decidedly less funny than my (whatever word the Japanese use in the way we use "Engrish") version. I was envisioning old John Wayne-like Marlboro ads, with the mountains and cowboys.

"Welcome to Beef Heaven Country."

Would have been more topical than using cowboys to peddle cigarettes anyway.

...there is a chain of mcky D's (around bayshore to be exact), That give you the chance to add EXTRA meat to ur burgers for 1.00 more. Like that awesome quad big mac or a triple quater pounder. And some other ones. YUP itd saweet! And to all the F****ts saying "disgusting" get the fuck off your high horse ok. Your a vid gamer chances are you a fat slob anyways! So yes. Yummy yummy yum yum....just dont eat that shit eavery day lol

[quote name='gofishn']Oh great, here come the food snobs.[/QUOTE]

Yes not wanting to eat that shitty mass produced beef flavored patty makes me a snob. :roll:

One day they're going to find that all of the medical problems steamed from all of the chemicals in fast food.

Who in Japan could eat that other then Americans?

[quote name='MagicArc'].Anyway, the food tasted the same as it does in the states...I was not brave enough however to try the Shrimp Burger.[/QUOTE]

Food should never taste the exact same. When you cross an ocean, and in another country. This just back to my point that all fast food is fucking disgusting, and the reason for most of this countries health problems.

[quote name='sarausagi']Food snobs..ugh...

Therefore, it's not that big of a travesty or crime as some of you make it seem. I'm sure no one eats a mega mac daily, so what's the big deal?[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt that the normal person ordering a 4 "beef" patty burger is trying figure out how it fits into their daily intake of calories. You could eat this if you only ate fruit, and veggies the rest of the day.

It seems it's better to insult McD than any other fast food. At least McD now puts nutrition facts on most if not all of their foods. While others don't and have double the calories and fat of McD. The U.S. has had this burger before, than it went away, if you want, you can probably get double the meat for a buck more or just order a double cheeseburger and make it yourself.

Any and all fast food is bad for you, as long as you take into account your diet and eat properly, fast food now and than isn't so bad.

[quote name='omegasaber']No one's cared to mention the quadruple decker burger that Burger King came out with a few months ago?[/quote]

the quad was not bad at all.. but their patties were smaller..

i try to avoid fast food but there are a few certain situatins where i cant resist... and if i do eat at mcd's its always chicken...i havent eaten a meat burger for some time now....im currently in to health mode

i must say though their new chicken biscuit is calling my name

Fun story about McDonalds:
When I was 7 my family was going out to eat at a chinese food place. I was being an ass of a kid and insisted on McDonalds. Later that night everyone got food poisoning except for me.

Because of this, I have to stop by McDonalds and pay my respects by ordering 3 of those Jr. Bacon Cheese burgers and mashing them into 1.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Fun story about McDonalds:
When I was 7 my family was going out to eat at a chinese food place. I was being an ass of a kid and insisted on McDonalds. Later that night everyone got food poisoning except for me.

Because of this, I have to stop by McDonalds and pay my respects by ordering 3 of those Jr. Bacon Cheese burgers and mashing them into 1.[/quote]

Mcdonalds does not have Jr. Bacon Cheese burgers? Or maybe here in california they dont. That sounds like Wendy's.

bread's done
Back