300w Screen Beat Sound System - $17.48 @ Amazon

brodeus

CAGiversary!
I was going through the clearance section of Amazon and ran across this.

Cheap ass link

Has anyone heard of it? For $17 it seems like a deal. I saw a brief review on a small webpage, they gave it an 81%. Take it for what it's worth.

-Steve

Looks like it might be this thing - it's the closest I can find on the manufacturer's website (http://www.spectravideo.com):

b4486ec3eb9967f0336fd94cb0357732.jpg

Found an ebay auction that confirms it, that is what it looks like. It's a speaker set, 300 watts to really give that gaming an extra thump. Going to pass myself, already have 150 w stereo on the floor and it suits my needs.

For anyone interested in knowing, my Screen Beat Sound System came today, and it does NOT look like the one pictured above.

This, however, in my opinion, is not a bad thing by any means. I could not find a colored photo of this anywhere, so here's a scan from the manual.

soundbeat

The body of both speakers and the sub woofer are translucent blue, with clear faces. Sub woofer has two translucent blue knobs on the front to control base and volume. The speakers' (um.. speakery parts.. where the noise comes out of, ^^) are a silver mesh.

Overall, I think it's an incredibly attractive package, especially for the price (ordered another set today, so the sale's still going on.)

But of course, it can be pretty as hell and still suck balls, right? But it doesn't. Sound is strong and clear, and the bass pretty much rattles the room it's in and the surrounding rooms in the area. Of course you can get better, but you can't get better for $17.50. If you don't have anything right now, I highly recommend it.

It says it's for gaming consoles, PC and other audio crap included.

/review

-Nika

for $17.50 that sounds pretty decent. however, i ordered that logitech z-640 surround sound system for $52 that was posted awhile back and am happy with what i got, so i would suggest that one, if you're on a budget but have a little extra to spend.

Here is the link.

I don't quite understand the ins and outs of how wattage works, so perhaps someone can clarify -
I checked that lochitech surround sound thing for $52 on Amazon, and in the specs it says "Total output power: 71.2 Watts RMS"

And this $17.50 one is 300 watts? Does that mean it's over four times as powerful as the surround sound system, or am I just misinterpreting here?

I do not know how to cleary explain it, watts do make a difference, but not as much as advertised. there are many low priced systems with low watts that sound really good, however it is not what you would want for a party.

Then you can also have systems, which is why i want more info before I buy this thing from amazon. These systems can have high watts, 300 is pretty high for a console sound system. And it can sound like A$$.

Then you can also have the really bad home theater in the box generic systems, that are often found at walmart that are 70 watts and sound like crap.

Remember systems are in total watts, So if you have a 2.1 setup, which is 2 speakers and a sub and its only 100 watts. It would be more powerful than a 200 watt 6.1 surround sound system.

Example 6.1= 6 speakers and a sub. For a low powered sub may be 50 watts, so the rest 150 would be divided by 6, roughly 24 watts per speaker, compared to that 100 watt 2.1 system

This Amazon one is 300, which is a lot, most likly the sub is 50-80 watts, which leaves a lot for the two speakers. So from its price I would choose to believe that it has decent thump to it, and can get pretty loud, but doesnt sound that good.

Its like turning up something on the radio really loud.

Hopefully i made some sense.

[quote name='Theenternal']

Its like turning up something on the radio really loud.

Hopefully i made some sense.[/quote]

Great Example!

I'm a fairly big car audio buff (triple 10 inch 600watt subwoofers in the trunk). Watts do mean alot.. it just depends on the quality of the speaker. There are some really ass sounding speakers out there made of paper and maybe some trash bag.

The RMS rating for a speaker is the amount of power it can do a good job of supplying continuously, nonstop. While the peak rating is the absolute maximum it can handle at not-so-long intervals. Like when the music gets going pretty good and the effects get a little more powerful. Look at the RMS rating when choosing what to buy.

too bad i can't find any specs for this. I am currently modding an Arcade Cabinet, and was thinking about this, but i have 2 sets of altec lans with a sub that should be good enough for a cabinet.

I got mine yesterday, tiny thing but rocks! worth the price, but clear blue/white is not my fav color choice for this-but for the price (23.88 after shipping/tax) it's more then worth it

[quote name='Shadows916']I got mine yesterday, tiny thing but rocks! worth the price, but clear blue/white is not my fav color choice for this-but for the price (23.88 after shipping/tax) it's more then worth it[/quote]

Maybe you really ought to sign your name to your posts like I do, otherwise people are going to think I'm insane for posting twice. ^^

This is a fair example though that both of us are enjoying the little bugger, and are impressed with it. The review-link posted above really sums it up. Incredible performance for it's tiny size and price.

-Nika
1/2 of Shadows916

oddfella, i love your avatar...great game, currently playing it now...

back on topic...i've been waiting for some speakers also...i have heard about the one at target that ppl call the "atomic bomb" b/c of it's looks, but this one is cheaper...i'll wait for more ppl to comment on this one....

[quote name='uncbaseballfreak']so this wont work with the xbox?[/quote]

sure it will, but only in stereo...you can plug in any standard red/white type cable.

I received one of these as a gift a couple years ago...they're better than your standard tv speakers but I've since upgraded to a home theater setup. They're definetely worth 20 bones...just don't expect MASSIVE sound...

I still don't understand something here. It works fine out of the box with a PS2, but not with an XBox? How does it connect? I assumed it was just plugging in the regular red/white cables. And if I need an adaptor, what kind is it, where can I get it, and how much does it cost?

[quote name='Stargun007']I still don't understand something here. It works fine out of the box with a PS2, but not with an XBox? How does it connect? I assumed it was just plugging in the regular red/white cables. And if I need an adaptor, what kind is it, where can I get it, and how much does it cost?[/quote]

read my previous post again...

it DOES work with anything you can plug in the standard red/white audio cables...or red/black, I've seen a few of those...

I was just stating that all you'll get out of the Xbox is stereo sound, not surround...understand now...?

[quote name='KingNES']is there a way to get surround with the X Box?[/quote]

sure, you enable it in your Xbox dashboard...but you need a surround sound receiver to plug your Xbox into...you won't get it from the Screenbeat...

Umm..........I just went to Amazon and it says they aren't in stock or are discontinued. Anyone know where else I could get em' for cheap?

This thing LOOKS NOTHING the pictures that were displayed for this deal. Talk about false advertising. This looks like a piece of kiddie crap. The one that was shown was silver and gray and modern looking. This looks like a freaking toy prize from a cracker jack box. It's Greenish and see through and looks blehhhhhh...shit. I tried it with the PSOne and it sounds okay. However what majorly blows is it doesn't seem to really look anything but cheap lucky charms kiddie crap. I feel ripped for spending $15 for this considering what I THOUGHT I saw (from the picture) I was getting. To answer Doc Holiday The plugins they give you are for the PSOne and Dreamcast. You have to get a little inventive like me and have it hooked up thru your tv or vcr directly using their supplied red/white audio jack which connects to the subwoofer.... Did anyone else get theirs yet?...

This thread isnt about how to hook your Xbox up to surround sound. Either read the manual that came with Xbox or ask on that board instead of clogging up this topic.

I got mine yesterday. Kiddy crap indeed. It looks like something a 5 year old would have. I havnt tried them out yet though.

I got mine yesterday and it looks a biut kiddy but it works wonderfully. I went to radio shack and grabbed some audio jack couplers, and just left the yellow av cord to the tv and coupled the red/white ones to the surround kit and it worked perfectly. I used it with the psone/2, my X, my GCN and my dvd played and they all worked great, nice boom, the mini speakers were good as well. VERY compact as well. I also picked up some extender wire for the mini speakers and gave them some more length and it worked even better. Looks aside it was a great deal for the price.

bread's done
Back