what is cheapest way to send game to US?

snowsquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I used to send them via Canada Post lettermail (it just fit through the slot), and it was only $1.80. Now they have a rule that only paper can go letter mail, so it costs $3.74. That takes a lot away from trading.

Personally, when I trade, I like to leave the case out of the equation, shipping only the sleeve, disc, and manual. But when trading for points, like on Goozex.com, that is not really an option.

Has anyone tried UPS or Purolator? Any other cheap ways?

~S

That is what I am saying. Canada Post will no longer let you send letter mail if the package contains anything other than paper. They may let you get away with it, if it was disc only. But as soon as they feel a DVD/Xbox/PS2/DS case, they now are supposed to refuse to let you send it letter mail. You have to send it 'small packet', which if it is over 100grams, is $3.74.

~S

yep thats the new rule, thats the cheapest you can get sending games with dvd cases, and gba boxes won't even fit for small packet (unless you flatten the box), that will cost you around $5

$3.74 ain't that bad... but it sucks when I am accustomed to $1.80!

The only time I prefer not to send case is when is it a 1:1 trade. Then we both keep our cases, while shipping manuals, sleeves, and disc. Then put it together when you get it. So you end up getting everything, in the end, but save $3.00 in shipping. Usually I find that it is more trouble to explain this concept, than it is worth, and just ship the case.

Some would argue that the disc could get wrecked, but I have shipped lots of optical media in the mail, and never had an issue.

~S

ah come on dude, $3.74 is like skipping a bowl of cereal. $3.74 is just not that expensive. In fact, I didn't think it's actually that cheap to send something small as a dvd case.

I doubt it. The guy at the post office, told me that the reason that nothing but paper can be sent via letter mail has to do with how US customs/security handle packets vs. letter.

~S

What's worse is it costs more to send within Canada! It costs more to send out of your province then it does to the States. I usually ship via small packet air which was $5.95 a few weeks ago, but is now $6.20. I'd rather pay the extra for air, then surface, i think its less then a dollar more. Double case CD's, snes games, n64 games etc don't fit light packet, just single case CD's, and DVD's.

Weird, just last week I mailed a PS2 DVD case game in a padded envelope and they sent it lettermail without hesitation.

[quote name='Zing']Weird, just last week I mailed a PS2 DVD case game in a padded envelope and they sent it lettermail without hesitation.[/quote]you probably got a really nice employee :)

Just an 'Heads Up': If you use the 'Click-to-Ship' feature of canadapost.com, it will charge you $5.53 to send a DVD to the post office. If you take it in to the post office, then they charge you $3.74. My guess is this is a safety-net to make sure they are not undercharging for people to tell white lies to the website about the size of their package.

I emailed canadapost.com's support to ask them why the website is $2 more, but knowing canada post it will take them 5-50 business days to get back to me.

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel'] people tell white lies to the website about the size of their package.

[/quote]

Why people lie about the size of their package is beyond me :bouncy:

On a more serious note. Why does it cost 3.74 to send something to the states and then like 8 bucks to send the same thing to Canada. It's ridiculous.

i dont know but i sent a DVD to my friend in kansas (im in ontario) and xpresspost was like 18 bucks, then i send a game to BC and xpress was like 8

Unless it was a collectors edition dvd box set in lead casing, I would have challenged the employee on that. I have caught them sleeping a couple of times.

~S

I sent something via standard post to New Westminster for like 6.74 and then it was 3.74 to send the same thing to North Carolina and Indiana

If they are both to one person, i'd go small packet air. It includes insurance, and it's a quick service. If it's 1 game per person, then just go light packet unless they are valuable and you want insurance.

BTw to all that don't have a venture one card at the post office, i suggest you get one. It lets you send packages within canada via expedited, for 5% cheaper then regular mail!

[quote name='arfin']If they are both to one person, i'd go small packet air. It includes insurance, and it's a quick service. If it's 1 game per person, then just go light packet unless they are valuable and you want insurance.

BTw to all that don't have a venture one card at the post office, i suggest you get one. It lets you send packages within canada via expedited, for 5% cheaper then regular mail![/quote]sounds awesome, how do i get one, and i'm sending both to the same person, care to explain the process please :)?

I have three questions:

1.) How much does it take to send a regular game case (e.g. Xbox, PS2, PSP) within Canada via. regular mail?

2.) How much does it take to send the above to the U.S. via regular mail?

3.) What is the best shipping medium (e.g. bubblewrap, cardboard) for sending my games in?

Answers appreciated.

[quote name='Phorty Ounce']I have three questions:

1.) How much does it take to send a regular game case (e.g. Xbox, PS2, PSP) within Canada via. regular mail?

2.) How much does it take to send the above to the U.S. via regular mail?

3.) What is the best shipping medium (e.g. bubblewrap, cardboard) for sending my games in?

Answers appreciated.[/quote]
1. Varies from province to province
2. $4 (well $3.74, but after tax) (by lettermail air, its a special shipping method)
3. I personally use bubblewrap packages that you can buy in bulk from the post office.

[quote name='Phorty Ounce']

[/QUOTE]

According to eBay, what.. around $18? :roll:

[quote name='foundation']According to eBay, what.. around $18? :roll:[/quote]don't even get me started on those horrendous shipping prices :bomb:

[quote name='maigoyume']1. Varies from province to province
2. $4 (well $3.74, but after tax) (by lettermail air, its a special shipping method)
3. I personally use bubblewrap packages that you can buy in bulk from the post office.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I am only sending within Ontario, so I am guessing it is about $2. Meh, I'll check with Canada Post.

[quote name='maigoyume']sounds awesome, how do i get one, and i'm sending both to the same person, care to explain the process please :)?[/quote]

Hey, sorry i forgot about this thread. I think it might depend on your post office clerk, mine seen that i was shipping out often, and just gave me the form to fill, and i was set.

I'm sure if you just ask them for a 'venture one' card application they will give you one, they are very easy to fill out, and you get a much faster service, a bit cheaper too!

do they charge you anything? or is it free? because i ship often enough that i can take advantage of this :) any reply would be much appreciated

After reading here, I just went to canadapost.ca and filled out the form, and got one. I haven't had to use it yet... I looks like you just save 5% on shipping, and another 5% if you use the online shipping tools.

Problem is that the online shipping tools don't do letter packet, or whater it is called when you ship a DVD via letter mail ($3.74 to US, 1.93 to CAN). So cheapest to send via online tools is $5.24. So you have to go into post office, thus you only save 5%, with the V1 card.

Another hint: when I was in the post office, I just asked for a bunch of the custom forms stickers for sending small stuff to the US. That way I could have them filled out already when I got there. He gave me about 20, no problem. Not a money saver, but a time saver. I am not sure if this is the norm, or because I have gotten to know the guy.

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']After reading here, I just went to canadapost.ca and filled out the form, and got one. I haven't had to use it yet... I looks like you just save 5% on shipping, and another 5% if you use the online shipping tools.

Problem is that the online shipping tools don't do letter packet, or whater it is called when you ship a DVD via letter mail ($3.74 to US, 1.93 to CAN). So cheapest to send via online tools is $5.24. So you have to go into post office, thus you only save 5%, with the V1 card.

Another hint: when I was in the post office, I just asked for a bunch of the custom forms stickers for sending small stuff to the US. That way I could have them filled out already when I got there. He gave me about 20, no problem. Not a money saver, but a time saver. I am not sure if this is the norm, or because I have gotten to know the guy.

~S[/quote]

Hey, you don't just save 5%, you also get your regular package upgraded to expedited.

maigoyume Nope it's free!

EDIT: Yeah snowsquirrel my post office clerks are cool like that, they give me stacks of those forms too, i'm not sure if it's the norm either, but i appreciate it. It's bad enough when i create a line up shipping my games, even with the labels filled out!

I have to mail something up island and according to paypal shipping thing it's going to cost me $8 to do so. There has to be a cheaper way. It's just a dvd in a bubble mailer. And I have angry Korean lady who doesnt speak english well/at all and the only english word she can pronounce clearly is xpresspost. So going to the post office and sending it letter mail will not be happening. Am I just doing something or have rates really gone that high.

EDIT: I said screw it and just took the money out of what I was going to pay the club. (not that, that means anything to anyone other than me lol)

What snowsquirrel said, anything like a single DVD case, or single playstation jewewl case can go light packet. SNES games can't, jeez those few MM cost me like an extra $3, so i could've saved hundreds by now!

bread's done
Back