Gears of War - General Discussion 2 - Re-release 6/24 w/Maps and Extras (No PC Stuff)

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

Update 5/28/08: Gears Of War re-releases at $39.99

Gears of War Content
  • Gamer Picture Pack
  • Emergence Day Gamer Picture
  • Emergence Day Theme
  • "FUTURE WEAPONS" Theme
  • Emergence Day Message from Cliffy B
  • Gears of War Map Pack 1 Trailer
  • Gears of War - Multiplayer Map Pack 1
  • 'Hidden Fronts' Multiplayer Map Pack 2
Gears of War 2 Content
  • Gamer Picture Pack
  • Teeth Theme
  • Teaser Trailer
  • Trailer
  • Assault Game Play Trailer
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71542

Update 6/13: Patch and new achievements tomorrow:

Thursday, June 14, at 2 a.m. GMT, the stakes get even higher as Gears of War releases eight new Achievements for the “Annex” gametype and the “Hidden Fronts” Multiplayer Map Pack on Xbox LIVE®.
In addition to adding new Achievements, worth a total of 250 points, Gears of War developer Epic has improved the Roadie Run controls so players have greater control of their movement and can better annihilate their pestilent enemies. The title update will also help squash multiplayer exploits and provide general housekeeping.
For those who have yet to man up and join the battle, the “Annex” gametype is now available for free and the “Hidden Fronts” Multiplayer Map Pack is available on Xbox LIVE Marketplace for 800 Microsoft Points. All four multiplayer maps will be made available at no cost over Xbox LIVE on Sept. 3, 2007.
Release Notes
  • New Achievements added! Eight new achievements worth a total of 250 points created for playing Annex and the Hidden Fronts Multiplayer Map Pack
  • Improved Roadie Run to reduce getting snagged on cover
  • Tweaked up the amount of damage done by the Lancer Assault Rifle in multiplayer
  • Fixed split-screen players interrupting the other player’s actions when they die
  • Stopped Annex scoring whenever a “Connection Error” dialog box is displayed
  • Reduced the duration that corpses remain visible when hosting an Annex match
  • Reduced the range of possible Annex bleed-out times selectable by host
  • Addressed a number of multiplayer exploits
  • Addressed other general housekeeping
Achievement Details

"THIS! IS! ANNEX!" - 40
Complete 100 multiplayer matches of 3+ rounds in Annex and capture 3 objectives in each match

"Inconceivable!" - 30
Win 20 rounds of multiplayer matches in Annex by fewer than 5 points

"Nub Pwn3r" - 30
Win 20 rounds of multiplayer matches in Annex by shutting out the opposing team

"You Down With E.P.I.C?" - 30
Win a multiplayer match of 3+ rounds in any game type on 6 different downloadable maps

"Green Thumb" - 30
Win 20 multiplayer matches of 3+ rounds in any game type on the Garden multiplayer map

"Mind the Gap" - 30
Win 20 multiplayer matches of 3+ rounds in any game type on the Subway multiplayer map

"All That Juice" - 30
Win 20 multiplayer matches of 3+ rounds in any game type on the Process multiplayer map

"Purdy Mouth" - 30
Win 20 multiplayer matches of 3+ rounds in any game type on the Bullet Marsh multiplayer map

http://gearsofwar.com/News/news_6-14-+title+update.htm

The map pack is 800 points in which you’ll get four new multiplayer maps:
Bullet Marsh: In this Kryll-infested swamp, an old generator still powers the area lights. A few stray bullets could easily knock out the generator, leaving combatants to fend for themselves against the Kryll.
Garden: This overgrown and crumbling conservatory still has a working fertilization and pesticide system. This system can pose a serious hazard to anyone who ventures into the greenhouse without first venting the air.
Process: Teams must fight for control of this subterranean Imulsion processing plant, still active despite the cessation of the Pendulum wars.
Subway: Timgad's Central Subway station used to serve as a central hub for commuters. Now the tunnels are crawling with Locust.

You can grab the pack this Thursday for 800 points or wait until Sept. 3, 2007 when all four maps will be available for free.
http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2007/05/01/new-gears-maps-coming-this-thursday.aspx
_________
Update 4/9: Update actually out today at 4pm PDT

Update 4/9: Update delayed to ??? but here's a preview:

Here's a teaser of Annex to keep us drooling and waiting "patiently" :roll:

For higher resolution video click here:
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/10590

Today, an update to the Gears of War web site that was meant to go live next week has revealed that the next title update for the game will arrive next monday. Additionaly, the leak has revealed what Annex is all about.

The update will fix a bunch of glitches, including 720p for VGA users running at 1280x1024, and it will also fix some issues found in Assassination:
  • Before the update, the Assassination leader had to unlock map-spawned weapons by picking them up and dropping them. Now, all weapons are available to all players from the beginning.
  • Before the update, you could kill a leader in Assassination using the same rules as in Warzone. Now, you kill leaders as in Execution.
Below is the information regarding the new game type:

[SIZE=-2] Annex

Objective: Capture and hold key locations to collect enough points to win the round.

Description: In Annex, you win by keeping control over key map locations, or objectives, long enough to collect a winning number of points. Every map has two to five identified objectives available for capture, with one objective active at a time. Objectives are based on map weapon-spawn locations and have a potential value of 60 points toward either team’s score. Teams collect those points by maintaining ownership of an objective until all its 60 points have been distributed. Every second that a team controls an objective, the team gets one point. When an objective falls to zero points, the next objective is selected at random.

On the HUD, the current objective appears below the team scores at top left. This indicator contains several pieces of relevant information. The weapon icon inside the circle indicates which weapon-spawn location is being used as the objective. The compass along the outer edge of the circle shows the relative direction to the objective. The number inside the circle indicates how many points remain at that objective and the background icon color indicates which team currently controls it. No color means the objective awaits capture, a red icon means the Locust Horde hold the objective and a blue icon means the COG hold it. When the icon in the indicator circle fills, the corresponding team's score also changes color, the team begins collecting points from the objective, and the point value of the objective drops.

On the map, a projected ring marks the physical location and boundaries of the objective in the world. The ring's color indicates the current captor: White means neutral, blue COG, and red Locust. To capture an objective, players must stand inside the glowing ring uncontested for a short period of time. How long depends on how many teammates stand in the ring at once. One player can capture an objective in eight seconds, two players in four seconds, three players in two seconds, and four players in one second. Once a team takes an objective, they are not required to remain inside the ring to maintain ownership. The captured objective's points drain until an opposing team member enters the ring, or until its points fall to zero.

Round scores can be set as low as 120 points or as high as 480 points. The first team to reach the target score wins the round.

Respawns: Infinite, wave-based every 15 seconds.

Options:

* Selected Map: Which map or series of maps to use.
* Number of Rounds: Number of rounds required to win the match.
* Bleed-out Duration: Amount of time before a player dies while DBNO.
* Round Score: Number of points required to win a round.
* Friendly Fire: In a player match, whether teammates can damage each other.
* Private Slots: In a player match, number of player slots reserved for friend invites.
* Weapons Swapped: In a player match, whether the person who sets up the match can determine whether weapons that appear in the maps are replaced or removed.

Updates:

* Annex became available as a Gears of War multiplayer game mode in the April 9 update. [/SIZE]

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13185/Gears-of-War-Patch-Coming-Next-Monday-Annex-Revealed/

Gamespot - 9.6
TeamXbox - 9.6
IGN - 9.4
1up - 10
YahooGames -

OVERHEAD VIEW OF ALL MULTIPLAYER MAPS WITH WEAPON POSITIONS:

Canals

ClockTower

Escalation

Fuel Depot

Gridlock

Mansion

Mausoleum

Rooftops

Tyro Station

War Machine

WEAPON STATS, SINGLE PLAYER AND MULTIPLAYER

Smoke Grenade | Max Ammo - 2 | Magazine Size - 1 | Base Damage - None | Short Range - None | Medium Range - None | Long Range - None

Frag Grenade | Max Ammo - 2 | Magazine Size - 1 | Base Damage - Varies | Short Range - Varies | Medium Range - Varies | Long Range - Varies

Lancer | Max Ammo - 300 | Magazine Size - 60 | Base Damage - 42 | Short Range - 100% | Medium Range - 100% | Long Range - 60%

Snub Pistol | Max Ammo - 48 | Magazine Size -12 | Base Damage - 90 | Short Range - 100% | Medium Range - 100% | Long Range - 60%

Gnasher | Max Ammo - 24 | Magazine Size - 8 | Base Damage - 270 | Short Range - 275% | Medium Range - 175% | Long Range - 50%

Torquebow | Max Ammo - 6 | Magazine Size - 1 | Base Damage - 640 | Short Range - 100% | Medium Range - 100% | Long Range - 60%

Boomshot | Max Ammo - 2 | Magazine Size - 1 | Base Damage - 335 | Short Range - 100% | Medium Range - 100% | Long Range - 60%

Boltok Pistol | Max Ammo - 12 | Magazine Size - 6 | Base Damage - 90 | Short Range - 100% | Medium Range - 100% | Long Range - 60%

Longshot | Max Ammo - 11 | Magazine Size - 1 | Base Damage - 350 | Short Range - 120% | Medium Range - 100% | Long Range - 100%

Hammerbrust | Max Ammo - 300 | Magazine Size - 60 | Base Damage - 56 | Short Range - 100% | Medium Range - 100% | Long Range - 60%

Hammer of Dawn | Max Ammo - N/A | Magazine Size - N/a | Base Damage - Varies | Short Range - Varies | Medium Range - Varies | Long Range - Varies

Multiplayer Weapons: Firing Rates and Melee Damage

Smoke Grenade | Firing Rate - N/A | Base Damage - N/A | Melee - None

Frag Grenade | Firing Rate - N/A | Base Damage - Varies | Melee - Varies

Lancer | Firing Rate - 850 | Base Damage - 42 | Melee - 120%

Snub Pistol | Firing Rate - 700| Base Damage - 90| Melee - 120%

Gnasher | Firing Rate - 60 | Base Damage - 270 | Melee - 300%

Torquebow | Firing Rate - 60 | Base Damage - 640 | Melee - 120%

Boomshot | Firing Rate - 60 | Base Damage - 335 | Melee - 120%

Boltok Pistol | Firing Rate - 60 | Base Damage - 90 | Melee - 120%

Longshot | Firing Rate - 60 | Base Damage - 350 | Melee - 120%

Hammerburst | Firing Rate - 1250 | Base Damage - 56 | Melee - 120%

Hammer of Dawn | Firing Rate - N/A | Base Damage - Varies | Melee - Varies

Best Buy
gow-madcatz-bb-face.jpg

Circuit City
gow-madcatz-cc-face.jpg

Gamestop
gow-madcatz-gs-face.jpg

Kill 10,000 people in versus ranked match total - 50pts

This and more here:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/home/showachievements.php?type=Retail&gameID=144

gow_lce_group.jpg
A highly collectible embossed metal box which includes the following additional content:
  • Destroyed Beauty, the Gears of War hardbound art book
  • Bonus special features DVD, including:
  • An inside look at the making of Gears of War
  • The "Art of Gears of War" trailer
  • Gears of War: The Race to E3
Note: The information contained in this fact sheet relates to a prerelease product that may be substantially modified before its first commercial release. Accordingly, the information may not accurately describe or reflect the product when first commercially released. This fact sheet is provided for informational purposes only, and Microsoft makes no warranties, express or implied, with respect to the fact sheet or the information contained in it.
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11715/Gears-of-War-Collectors-Edition-Box-and-Contents-Pics/

Question is there anyway to find out my total scores for mp? I want to see how many kills for the achievements I need.

Also javeryh for the defend the house part it is easiest if you head down stairs and hide by the entrance. shotgun all the locust that come in and try and tag the boomer to end it quickly.

[quote name='javeryh']I can't defend the house! Help![/quote]

You could always play campaign on co-op with a buddy; that way your buddy can revive you if you should fall.

The map pack 1 download content should automatically apply for all offline local/system-link versus, correct? I finally was able to take my friend's HDD to go download the patch and map pack this past week. We got together this weekend only to find out that his game was not able to join my system-link game because "It did not have the necessary downloadable content." so we played just the regular maps again. The patch works; the shorter grenade tag distance was in full-effect but once your split-screen partner dies, he/she can still use the security cameras.

It must be a glitch because I had to re-download his Halo 2 patch twice as well. He only has a silver Live account because he doesn't have cable internet. But that shouldn't matter.

Anyone know what's going on? I'm thinking I'll just have to erase his map pack 1 on HDD re-download it.

^^ i've been having the same problem with my bro's 360.

we both downloaded the map packs and can play the new maps online.

but, for some reason, when i host a system link match on Raven Down or Old Bones it says he doesn't have the downloadable content. i tried redownloading and nothing.

probably needs to be patched.

[quote name='Gustav Holst']On what difficulty? and on co-op or single player?[/quote]

Single player casual.
I can kill like 7 or 8 Locusts but eventually they overpower me. I've been heading for the front door and shooting them as they come in. One dude usually gets by when I'm in the middle of a reload and I have to turn around and fall back into the house and then it's over from there.
Any tips?

Javeryh send me a invite and tonight when I get home (4pm est) i'll coop and help you finish the game if you want. Let me know on live or here.

[quote name='javeryh']Single player casual.
I can kill like 7 or 8 Locusts but eventually they overpower me. I've been heading for the front door and shooting them as they come in. One dude usually gets by when I'm in the middle of a reload and I have to turn around and fall back into the house and then it's over from there.
Any tips?[/QUOTE]

Snipe them (or torque bow them) at the top left section of the house (the room right next to where the game takes over for a brief period) as they come in. Whatever you don't take out Dom will work on and after he goes down you can clean up the pieces.

What the update does seems to be a big mystery. No word from Epic, no real information in their forums or the Xbox forums. Some speculation that it may fix VGA output issues or connection issues but no one that I have seen has noticed any significant changes.

Yeah. The word on the street is that shotgun damage has been reduced but I refuse to believe it until A) Epic officially confirms it and/or B) someone releases a visual proof of some sort. Something so big as shotgun damage reduction would be talked about for weeks before a patch is even announced. Probably something simple like display or connection issues (I've been getting alot "No connection can be made to host" eventhough I clearly see that the lobby is still not full).

It's really fishy that people are being forced to update without knowing what's being fixed, especially since there was already the first patch earlier this month.

It's been covered before I'm sure, but since this is the new GoW thread I suppose it couldn't hurt to have the info posted again. So here's my question: What are the logistics of game saving when it comes to Live Co-Op play? I'm in the middle of my first campaign play-though, and I'd like to do some co-op with a friend of mine. I'm just guessing that we use the save file of whoever hosts the game? So if he hosts and I join, none of my save info will be affected?

[quote name='BustaUppa']It's been covered before I'm sure, but since this is the new GoW thread I suppose it couldn't hurt to have the info posted again. So here's my question: What are the logistics of game saving when it comes to Live Co-Op play? I'm in the middle of my first campaign play-though, and I'd like to do some co-op with a friend of mine. I'm just guessing that we use the save file of whoever hosts the game? So if he hosts and I join, none of my save info will be affected?[/quote]

The host is the person that ends up with the save file. The person that joins you can obtain achievements, but cannot save a copy of your file.

[quote name='Lorddraco07']Javeryh send me a invite and tonight when I get home (4pm est) i'll coop and help you finish the game if you want. Let me know on live or here.[/quote]

Cool thanks. I'll probably (but not definitely) be on tonight around 10 p.m. EST - If I see you online I'll send you an invite.

I tried to get back into this game after not having live over winter break for a month, and i just can't get into it. Maybe everyone's gotten too good for me to compete with easily, but matches just seem so cheap. Grenade Tagging, Shotguns are so random, and the starting machine gun is so useless until you're up close.

It bugs the crap out of me having to run to the same 1-2 locations at the start of every round, i seem to spend more time running to a weapon than actually playing.. That's not to mention all the dumbshits that are playing now.. makes it imossible to form a decent team on ranked games.

Maybe I just need some time to get back into it, but FEAR and Lost Planet Multiplayer are holding my attention a lot better. FEAR is so much fun.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Snipe them (or torque bow them) at the top left section of the house (the room right next to where the game takes over for a brief period) as they come in. Whatever you don't take out Dom will work on and after he goes down you can clean up the pieces.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I did as well

[quote name='Lorddraco07']Question is there anyway to find out my total scores for mp? I want to see how many kills for the achievements I need.[/QUOTE]

Check leaderboards for ranked, go to me and my friends or me, then for length hit all time.

There you will be able to track your revives, executions, curb stomps, kills, tags, chainsaw kills, and headshots. Dont forget to add them up from all the different modes(assuming you played them at least once for the achievement).

As for sniper/boomshot/pistol/etc kills, no way to check that as far as i know.

[quote name='nintendokid'] The patch works; the shorter grenade tag distance was in full-effect but once your split-screen partner dies, he/she can still use the security cameras.[/QUOTE]

This is because you arent playing ranked, split-screen isnt supported in ranked and ranked is the only mode where the camera was disabled.

Last but not least, javeryh try snipe from the top. Thats how i did it in casual and insane mode. Both times were co-op so i cant speak for the AI but im sure the AI can handle the ones that do get through on casual.

Yeah, I just started to get online....only played maybe 3 matches...no time with the new child. Anyways, I totally SUCK online...any tips? It seems I get killed right away...although, I don't know where anything is yet.

I stopped playing online for a little because of the time I was putting into Zelda and other games I got. I got back to it the other night and even though it does not list the host name anymore in ranked matches it still seems like I get into rooms where 4 people on a team are friends. Not that I care but I thought that was supposed to kind of fix the problem people were having with friends joining each others games in ranked matches. I do think this game needs matchmaking like halo really badly though.

[quote name='DomLando']I got back to it the other night and even though it does not list the host name anymore in ranked matches it still seems like I get into rooms where 4 people on a team are friends. Not that I care but I thought that was supposed to kind of fix the problem people were having with friends joining each others games in ranked matches. I do think this game needs matchmaking like halo really badly though.[/quote]

that's because it's still easy to join up with your friends in ranked matches.

just let them know the settings of the match and they'll find you.

[quote name='doubledown']Yeah, I just started to get online....only played maybe 3 matches...no time with the new child. Anyways, I totally SUCK online...any tips? It seems I get killed right away...although, I don't know where anything is yet.[/quote]

Same, I'm almost always last place, seems like I would do so much better if I knew how to use the shotgun correctly.

[quote name='doubledown']Yeah, I just started to get online....only played maybe 3 matches...no time with the new child. Anyways, I totally SUCK online...any tips? It seems I get killed right away...although, I don't know where anything is yet.[/quote]

Just load up a 1vs1 game with a standby 2nd controller and walk around the maps until you know where everything is. As long as you know where longshot, frags, and the spawn point of each team lies, you'll be much better off.

EDIT: Update on the system-link problem! In order to run a system-link game and have the two new maps work properly one person must be logged on XBL. At least that's what someone told me at XBOX.com. Must be some coding error.

[quote name='nintendokid']
EDIT: Update on the system-link problem! In order to run a system-link game and have the two new maps work properly one person must be logged on XBL. At least that's what someone told me at XBOX.com. Must be some coding error.[/quote]

there's my problem.

i'm already using up the ethernet port by system linking, so i can't get online at the same time.

This morning I put my GoW disc to play and got a message that I need an update to play it, I got the lastest update from last week, was this one a nw update for the game or xbox live?

Or was just a system glitch???

anybody had a request to run an update this morning?

[quote name='obijuan71']This morning I put my GoW disc to play and got a message that I need an update to play it, I got the lastest update from last week, was this one a nw update for the game or xbox live?

Or was just a system glitch???

anybody had a request to run an update this morning?[/QUOTE]

My guess it fixed the connection error glitch. I played it most of the morning and never once, no matter how bad the lag, received the Connection Error message box. Before the new update, I used to get that error every game, no matter how good the connection.

Ran into a hammer of dawn whore on rooftops yesterday. Basically if the guy didn't get the hammer of dawn he wouldn't play. He would stand in the doorway and not let me out unless I dropped the hammer. Really quite annoying.

[quote name='mr ryles']Ran into a hammer of dawn whore on rooftops yesterday. Basically if the guy didn't get the hammer of dawn he wouldn't play. He would stand in the doorway and not let me out unless I dropped the hammer. Really quite annoying.[/quote]
So what did you do. Did you wait there or did you give in?

BTW: I fucking hate rooftops. I always exclude it when I'm hosting.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So what did you do. Did you wait there or did you give in?

BTW: I fucking hate rooftops. I always exclude it when I'm hosting.[/QUOTE]

I just stayed in the room and used the hammer out of the window in the room. et the guy just stand there like a douche in the doorway. someone ran up behind him and shotgunned him so that was my que to bust out my shotty and win the match for us.

[quote name='mr ryles']I just stayed in the room and used the hammer out of the window in the room. et the guy just stand there like a douche in the doorway. someone ran up behind him and shotgunned him so that was my que to bust out my shotty and win the match for us.[/quote]

:applause: awesome!

[quote name='mr ryles']Ran into a hammer of dawn whore on rooftops yesterday. Basically if the guy didn't get the hammer of dawn he wouldn't play. He would stand in the doorway and not let me out unless I dropped the hammer. Really quite annoying.[/quote]

Haha, zewone does that when our teammates are being dicks; or if they just suck with the hammer. He'll just wait til a second one spawns and then let the guy leave. By then though, shit's almost over with.

[quote name='Trakan']Haha, zewone does that when our teammates are being dicks; or if they just suck with the hammer. He'll just wait til a second one spawns and then let the guy leave. By then though, shit's almost over with.[/QUOTE]

I did it to the guy once. It took about 5 rounds for me to realize all this guy is doing is taking the hammer and going back to the spawn and camping out. So I trapped him in the room once he wound up commiting suicide and killing himself with the hammer.

[quote name='nintendokid']
EDIT: Update on the system-link problem! In order to run a system-link game and have the two new maps work properly one person must be logged on XBL. At least that's what someone told me at XBOX.com. Must be some coding error.[/QUOTE]

not a coding error, it's how the DRM works on all the shit you buy or download off the Marketplace.....micro transactions ftw!

Maybe it's my imagination but the update seems to have reduced the amount of stun for the melees. I hope I am right, that was always one of the more annoying parts of the game.

[quote name='thrustbucket']so nobody knows what the update did?[/QUOTE]

nothing new in terms of gameplay. just stuff that covers compatability with playing japanese online.

[quote name='thrustbucket']so nobody knows what the update did?[/quote]
I was in a ranked match and this guy kept saying that grenades now stick to a person's feet. He claims that him and his friends were in a match and someone kept dying even though they clearly jumped away from from a frag throw. They then experimented and he said it's true. I'm like WTF?! I kept trying to get more info and proof but he told me to take his word and swears on his life that if a frag bounces and happens to land on your feet, it sticks to it.

I tried it on local versus but no confirmation. Haven't tried it on XBL. I doubt this was implemented in yesterday's patch. Sticks to the feet but nothing else? Doesn't make sense.

[quote name='nintendokid']I was in a ranked match and this guy kept saying that grenades now stick to a person's feet. He claims that him and his friends were in a match and someone kept dying even though they clearly jumped away from from a frag throw. They then experimented and he said it's true. I'm like WTF?! I kept trying to get more info and proof but he told me to take his word and swears on his life that if a frag bounces and happens to land on your feet, it sticks to it.

I tried it on local versus but no confirmation. Haven't tried it on XBL. I doubt this was implemented in yesterday's patch. Sticks to the feet but nothing else? Doesn't make sense.[/quote]

Pretty sure that can happen even before the update. I've died many times in Escalation by grenades finding my feet because its such a narrow map. Tried to dive away but always gets me.

Woo hoo!!! I just beat single player on Casual! I started Hardcore and I can already notice the difference. I'm taking more damage and doing less to the enemies...

bread's done
Back