KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
CheapyD's Video Review
Digg it
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFXNdvGtcnw[/media]
------------------------------------
*Important edit* - The sound quality of this is going to vary - not so much due to this device, but because voice quality in general is lower with the wireless controller. I haven't tried it with a wired or XBox 1 controller yet, I'm assuming that would make a noticeable difference. Keep this in mind while preparing wav files - the louder and clearer the source wav is, the better it will sound. Trying to use some guy screaming something in the middle of a gunfight with cars crashing and other people screaming around him is going to sound like ass.

-------------------------------------

Oh, the potential of this annoying little device. I strongly urge anyone remotely interested to pick it up now, thanks to the $10 CC deal.

smacktalk.jpg

For the uninitiated, this lets you play 5 second sound clips over XBox Live. It goes between the headset wire and the controller. It's not terribly bulky or heavy but it may annoy a few people. It does require 3 AAA batteries that aren't included (BOOOOO). Here's a pic:

360smacktalk.jpg

Once you hear how terrible the pre-loaded clips are (I will NEVER record over "Youuuuuuu've just been SMACKED....by GaaaaaameDoctor's Smack Talk!") you will be in love. Or you will want to kill someone. Oddly enough, the preloaded clip on button 3 appears to be Barney Gumble's burp from The Simpsons.

I'll try to keep the OP tidy and maybe stick a few soundpacks up here once every once in a while. I'll be uploading a few clips from Mortal Kombat II and III soon if anyone wants to use them.

Updated - the device does turn off after 10 minutes of not being used, even if the on switch is active.

Updated - The little pinhole button on the top doesn't reset the default wavs, it just deletes everything on there at the time. I was given a bad tip on restoring the original sounds - so much for my earlier "I'll never delete this one" comment.

[size="+1"]Mortal Kombat sound pack[/size] (Mostly Shao Khan, one Scorpion drop)

Edit/Disclaimer - please don't use this to be an annoying dick/get yourself banned from XBL. It can add some levity and humor to games with friends and stuff, but I wouldn't recommend going into a random game and spamming some 2Pac song or whatever.

[quote name='Santurio']it turns off on it's own after 10 minutes of no button presses.[/QUOTE]
Yep, just saw that. Will update OP.

[quote name='danked']thx god for GameDr Smacktalk, available now at finer retail outlets everywhere![/QUOTE]
Fixed.

Updated OP with various Shao Khan clips from MK2 and 3.

Some dude recorded a maniacal laugh and he kept playing it over and over after his team won a match in GoW and the quality was horrible, it was very annoying.

I entirely hate the concept of this product, like 12 year old gamers aren't annyoing as it is.

Yeah I have to say this kind of stuff makes me even more likely to mute audio in Live games, which some people seem to be opposed to. Still I can see how it could be fun in the right situation.

I think these things originally listed for $29.99 and obviously no one bought them as they are now reduced to $10. If you want to be hated on LIVE, use this thing. I am going to PASS on this deal and hope to never get in a game w/ someone that uses this device. Somethings should never have been invented.

[quote name='Strell']Someone has to get Lewis Black saying SONUVABITCH! on theirs.[/QUOTE]

LMAO.

I hope you have Dan Forden on there....TOASTY!!!!!
MKII_ARC_Toasty.png

Can you use any headset with it, or just the one that comes with the 360? I've wanted to pick up an adapter so I can use my Plantronics headset, if this does both, I'll probably pick it up...

Hopefully you can press the button a bunch of times in rapid succession to stutter/retrigger the sample, thus providing maximum annoyance value.

[quote name='Stormy151']Can you use any headset with it, or just the one that comes with the 360? I've wanted to pick up an adapter so I can use my Plantronics headset, if this does both, I'll probably pick it up...[/QUOTE]

Doesn't look like it, unless your headset has the 1/8" stereo plug.

[quote name='ezwaffles']If you want to be hated on LIVE, use this thing.[/QUOTE]

I use it and I am loved on Live.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Doesn't look like it, unless your headset has the 1/8" stereo plug.
[/quote]

It does. It's the Plantronics "official" Halo 2 headset. I love it, I can barely tell I'm wearing it.

[quote name='Stormy151']It does. It's the Plantronics "official" Halo 2 headset. I love it, I can barely tell I'm wearing it.[/QUOTE]
Oh, ok. I have that one as well, I will try it when I get home from work. I'm assuming it will work, but I've been surprised before.

This reminds me of a weak version of those old voicepacks for tribes with like a gig worth of sound clips.

Glad to see there is a time limit on them though, otherwise I can just imagine the crap people would play.

[quote name='iamthekiller']This is the worst thing to come to xbox live.[/QUOTE]

I'd say the people that abuse it are worse.

Also, the Halo 2 headset does work with this, just double checked.

how do i know if this thing works... are there any leds?

i cant tell if its on or not...

edit.. forget it.. its on...

how are you guys going about loading sound clips on it? i tried using the psp but volume came through a little low

[quote name='KaneRobot']

Also, the Halo 2 headset does work with this, just double checked.[/quote]

Sweet. Thanks, I'm gonna be picking one of these up. :D

Last night, while playing Gears of War, 3 of us ended up chasing some guy around a column and somehow he gave us the slip.

It was straight out of Looney Tunes/Benny Hill.

I'm thinking that music they play on Benny Hill might be fun to use.

But yeah, this is bound to get annoying.

Here's my video review. I added it to the OP...hope you don't mind, KaneRobot.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFXNdvGtcnw[/MEDIA]

Much improved Cheapy! Keep on moving up on the professionalism with these and next thing you know that jackass on Joystiq will be sending you friend requests. A little work goes a long way. Something so boring to begin with, yet so interesting to watch!

One question though, does it make the controller off-weight? It seems like it would add a decent amount of weight to the controller.

"and star wipe"

:rofl:

Good review Cheapy, I'm glad I never bought one. That thing makes the controller a monster. If the clips could be 10 seconds long then I would consider buying one.

Nice video review. After having it for a while now, I like it ok...my qualms in the OP remain, but I didn't really expect an amazing experience for $10.

Forgot to put up the sound pack I mentioned, I'll try to do that this weekend. I did pull most of the wavs but didn't put them together and upload them yet.

Nice review.

A friend of mine told me about this, and I was interested at first, but I just don't like how bulky it makes the controller. Although it's a Great concept, it will surely be used as a tool of annoyance among the Xbox Live community.

The most annoying thing about the Smack Talk is that if you dont play a sound for a while, the unit automatically turns off. When this happens, you cant talk through your headset unless you play one of your sounds. You may not want to play one of your sounds at that moment, so the best solution is to have one button with a non-recorded sound that you can press.

I don't have an xbox(yet) however, I looked at the review, and to me, and only true negative about the smacktalk is the way it connects directly into the controller. If it's possible, (and assuming that the controller has either a 1/8" or 1/4" jack at the bottom), so basically instead of plugging the smacktalk unit directly into the controller, I'd try to find an ext cable to get inbetween the controller and the smack talk (using a radioshack dual male, 1/4" or 1/8" cords -- which ever fits) and have the smacktalk on your side rather than attached directly to the controller.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']Oh god no.[/QUOTE]
lol thats was the first idea of sound clips i would use if i got this

Great review....I'll pick one soon. Hello Cheapy, I'll put such quotes from Robo cop like ..... "Your dead. We killed you." & "OCP Runs the cops" also "Come on Sal, the Tigers! Are playing TOnight... I never miss a game". Lasty from RoboCop 2 - Kain said "JESUS.... had days like this."

I hope "LEEEEEROYYYYYYYYYYY" is under 5 seconds, then "JEEEEEENKINSSSSS" is as well.. i'll put those on one and two.

Robocop is a virtual goldmine for quotes.

"I lllike it!"
"Bitches leave."
My sig.
"It helps if you think of it as a game, Bob. Every game has a winner and a loser..."

"...mostly of the RoboCob and Howard Stern variety."

"It adds... quite a bit of length to the... controller."
Sounds like my kind of product!

Hey, if you are going to keep doing the reviews... You might as well upload them to expotv.com. Sign up with dleonard1991 if you want. I mean, you get paid $5 per review and that helps to pay for games. They do it through paypal as well.

If I'm hosting a game and some idiot is using this device

I usually kick him off

It's pretty freaking annoying

and there's enough things to be annoyed about on Xbox live

that is all.

bread's done
Back