Which runs at a cooler temp? On the side or flat?

Machikunas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I'm new to having a 360 and it gets pretty hot in my entertainment center. I got the Intercooler but that thing is crazy loud. I figure it'll help a fair amount setting my 360 on top the the shelfs so there aren't walls surrounding it, but which keeps the temperature lower; setting it on it's side or flat? or does it even make a difference? I feel like I read it made a difference before, but I can't find that information now.

Don't use the Intercooler. It messes with the power provided to the 360 and can cause problems. There isn't really a temperature difference related to orientation. Just make sure that the console has ample space in the rear and it is not enclosed (like in an entertainment center).

Just google "360 intercooler problems" to see for yourself. HERE is an example.

[quote name='captmurphy']Don't use the Intercooler. It messes with the power provided to the 360 and can cause problems. There isn't really a temperature difference related to orientation. Just make sure that the console has ample space in the rear and it is not enclosed (like in an entertainment center).

Just google "360 intercooler problems" to see for yourself. HERE is an example.[/quote]

that's only the old intercooler (yes they revised it). most of the problems people have had with the intercooler have been with the old intercooler. just check the article / post date. the revision was made sometime in november. the new intercooler comes in a box and is fine. i've had zero problems at all.

plus, in the unlikely event that the intercooler messes up your 360, nyko will replace your 360.

but if you are looking for an alternative since the intercooler is admittedly the noisiest cooling device i've ever used, i would suggest picking up a 360 gamer gift pack from your local gamestop if they still have any in stock. those come with the new pelican cooler (it is like the fanstand, but without the stand part so you can use it standing or horizontally) and a bunch of other junk (the only notable thing is the cd/dvd doctor or whatever). its on clearance for $20 which is the same price as the pelican cooler alone.

oh and to answer your question, horizontal.

As far as temperature is concerned, there is not a difference in keeping your 360 vertical or horizontal. If there is, the difference is so negligible it still doesn't matter. One big reason horizontal IS better has nothing to do with temperature: if your vertical 360 is tipped while spinning a disc it will make a horrible noise and scratch your disc.

The 360 doesn't need any 3rd party peripheral to assist in cooling if you set it up right. Keep the back well ventilated (whether you have it horizontal or vertical) and you will be fine.

For the record, I have a launch 360 and have it vertically due to space constraints. I have never had any problems in the year and 2 months it has been in my possession.

If you have you console is an open area where air can circulate. In theory having it vertical makes the console have more surface to mass ratio exposed to the air meaning more of the console can be cooled off by thermodynamics. With it horiztonal one side is laying on wood which its being insulated by making it hotter in theory of course.

Don't listen to people that say don't buy an intercooler. People have blown that out of proportion. It works just fine I've had one on my 360 for 9 months now without any problems.

I had my 360 horizontal for a year with no problems. I got a PS3 and made the 360 vertical to make room, and a month later BOOM - Herpes. ... No, wait... red lights. Probably a coincidence.

Or Saints Row.

I've got mine horizontal right now, but it has been vertical before, particularly when it travels to another house for a demo... and I've not seen any appreciable difference... the only thing I can think of is when the console's vertical, you need to be more careful when the disc is spinning.... as not to cause damage to the disc if the console is bumped. Other than that... the key, as it has been said in this thread already... keep the unit from tight locations.

My PS3 and 360 are a little bit apart, horizontal, with lots of airflow around them and I've had 0 issues so far with either....

I have mine Vertical. I used to have it Horizontal but the wood it was lying on was burning hot. With both of my broken systems having been laid Horizontal, I thought I would give Vertical a chance.

[quote name='Gojtron']Got my PS3 and 360 vertical and next to each other about 6 inches apart.[/QUOTE]

Either they're going to mate or the heat from one will burn the other down.

I've had no problem with my Intercooler since I've gotten it. The system runs noticeably cooler to the touch, so I imagine it's doing what it was meant to. The only times I've had any issues with my 360 is when someone moved something near it to block off the ventilation.

Does vertical affect the games? The way it sits in the tray makes me think they will get scratched (since the disc sits off center )

I don't think it would, but when I set it in the tray I was leery of it happening because of the way it sat.

Putting mine horizontal makes me feel safer about the 360 being tipped/moved during usage. Like someone said before, the difference in the heat between vertical and horizontal is most likely so small that it doesn't matter either way.

i assume the vents on the horizontal surface aid in allowing enough air to be drawn it to replace what the fans blow out. Ideally, suspend the console and PSU in the air (or dont block these intakes.) :applause:

[quote name='stratman71']i assume the vents on the horizontal surface aid in allowing enough air to be drawn it to replace what the fans blow out. Ideally, suspend the console and PSU in the air (or dont block these intakes.) :applause:[/QUOTE]

Yes you are correct. Those are intake vents. The exhaust is pushed out the back where the fan is. So heat may rise but the fans are causing negative pressure inside the 360 so the vents are drawing air in not out.

maybe i'm paranoid, but why does the damn 360 have to be so loud. i expect it to crap out on me any day now. especially during several hour long game play sessions of gears or R6, itgets loud. but iguess thats how its made,loud while playing games and not when using the dashboard or some other feature

bread's done
Back