PS2 Repair thread

asuitor

CAGiversary!
This section I am opening up for PS2 repair. This section was created to help people out who have a broken PS2 or one that is on its death bed. Hopefully we can save people money and headaches here. Below are a few links to get people started if you have specific questions post them here. I have repaired 8 PS2s now and can answer and troubleshoot many problems. With the help of the CAG community we can work together to fix dead PS2s around the world.

Laser DRE and other related Laser problems go here:
http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laserPS2.htm
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/playstation2_sony_repair.txt

A forum for PS2 problems:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/66202

If all else fails post here and I am sure people from CAG will help you out

Wow sweet dude good job on this topic.....when my ps2 breaks ill be sure to use ur guide...but my lauch ps2 is still running strong and hopefully it wont break(knock on wood). lol thx again

Umm wouldn't it be better to tell people with DRE problems to ship it off to sony for $10 because after you break the seal inside sony may not fix it for you if you can't solve the problem yourself.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Umm wouldn't it be better to tell people with DRE problems to ship it off to sony for $10 because after you break the seal inside sony may not fix it for you if you can't solve the problem yourself.[/quote]

Since when did they charge only $10? Plus, that's probably for those whose warranty is still valid. I'm sure once the warranty expires, that the shipping+repair price is considerably higher than $10.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='zionoverfire']Umm wouldn't it be better to tell people with DRE problems to ship it off to sony for $10 because after you break the seal inside sony may not fix it for you if you can't solve the problem yourself.[/quote]

Since when did they charge only $10? Plus, that's probably for those whose warranty is still valid. I'm sure once the warranty expires, that the shipping+repair price is considerably higher than $10.[/quote]

hes reffering to $10 for the shipping back to sony. Sony fixes DRE's for free assuming you havent opened up your ps2 and broke the seal, this extends beyond the standard warranty

but only in some cases does sony actually do this DRE repair, I figured it would be a good idea to post this here

[quote name='hutno']hes reffering to $10 for the shipping back to sony. Sony fixes DRE's for free assuming you havent opened up your ps2 and broke the seal, this extends beyond the standard warranty[/quote]

Really? I spoke to them about a year and a half ago about my DRE PS2, and it was around $50-60 to have it shipped and fixed outside of standard warranty. I guess they finally clued in to what a problem it was creating.

i payed 8 to get mine shipped ground ups and i got mine back in 8 days. No charge and no hassle since. I would really recomend doing this. I know these fixes may work but only so long and before long youll be doing them everytime you put a new game in which i did. Just send it in. Buy a ps1 and lcd combo and play that while that is going down.

Yeah Sony got sued, an instead of paying a bunch of money in fines they now fix all PS2 DRE's you must however specify when you call then that your PS2 is having DRE and no other problems.

This isn't a real sticky...
Well I had a 1st gen ps2 and the warranty was expired but sony took the system in to repair the DRE problems and they sent it to me in under a week.

Sony apparently will fix your ps2 if it has a blue back or CD-ROM DRE but if it has a DVD DRE your on your own if you have problems post them here

They even fixed mine AFTER THE SEAL WAS BROKEN! Of course, I didn't mention that on the phone. All you need to do is call them and play along with whatever they ask you to do on the phone (put your PS2 in diagnostic mode, etc.) and when you system inevitably isn't able to read a disc, they will finally give you the info about sending your PS2 off to them to be fixed.

(put your PS2 in diagnostic mode, etc.)

How do you do that and what is supposed to do?

I've tried fixing my PS2's DRE problem manually, but to no avail. The gear fix didn't work. The only thing that had a temporary effect was using compressed air to move the lens all around. After shaking it loose or whatever it would work for a week or so then stop reading again.

Did you take your lens cover off to blow the dust out, you can also try turing up the laser intensity see OP but also use a flattened cue tip (Flatten it with pliers) with alchol to clean the lens?

Yeah, I'm not messing with the laser intensity since it will kill the laser.

And yes, I have cleaned everything a million times.

Messing with the laser intensity does not kill the laser if you do it properly, get a multimeter from wal mart or a radioshack. they are like 10-15$ and priceless when doing PS2 repair. The link at the top shows how to use the multimeter to adjust the laser and what the safe zone is for the laser. Also you cleaned the mirror under the laser, because dust gets lodged there and unless you take the housing to the laser off you cannot clean it properly.

http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laserPS2.htm
SAFE ps2 laser adjustment

[quote name='Scrubking'](put your PS2 in diagnostic mode, etc.)

How do you do that and what is supposed to do?
[/quote]
Its on the same menu that allows you to change your Playstation 1 options (faster loading, and the other option). I dont know what its supposed to do, but it never helped for me when I got DRE.

Anyone clean other lens under the front one? I tried that method and now everything loads up perfectly-not exactly pefectly, there's just a wait for the DVDs to load up.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']I don't know if this falls under "repair", but is it safe to take the HDD out of one PS2 and put it in another?[/quote]

I wouldnt see why not. You can put it in so i dont see why you cant take it out and put it in again

Hey guys,

I found a PS2 in pieces, apparently my neighbor didn't know how to put the HDD in and.... kinda decided to open the PS2. Everything looks to be in great shape, I've putten everything back together except two things: the controller/mem card port and the top cover's power button cable. Anyone know where these two ribbon cables go to?

My PS2 is acting up its not at the dreaded DRE level yet but its close. I want to get a Lens Cleaner But I hear Lens Cleaner mess up peoples PS2 is this true? Can anyone help me?

[quote name='deinman']My PS2 is acting up its not at the dreaded DRE level yet but its close. I want to get a Lens Cleaner But I hear Lens Cleaner mess up peoples PS2 is this true? Can anyone help me?[/quote]

Well if you send it to Sony for DRE problems they often clean up your system so they might clean the lens or replace it while its in the shop.

My PS 2 powers up & everything, but all I get is no data. I tried a PS 1 & PS2 game, along with a music CD, & a DVD. This has all worked until recenntly. Any recommendations before I send it in for repair.

either your Laser just went, or your spindle is toast, unless you want to open it up and put a new laser in. Probably the best solution is to send it to get fixed unfortunatly. Buying the multimeter for testing the laser and a new laser will run you around 80$

Alot of the time the system just needs to be cleaned. I had terrible DRE problems, and I read a GameFaqs FAQ. It told me to take the thing apart and vaccum/compress air it out. I did that, and wiped all the dust out of there. Worked like new from then on.

What is supposed to happen in diagnostic mode?

Here's why I ask.....
My kids PS2 has been screwed for a few months now. After it happened I cleaned the laser etc etc etc.......nothing. So finally this week I found a local shop that "repairs" them. Its $40 unless they can't fix it...then its just $10. They called today and can't fix it. So I'm guessing they just charge people $40 to clean the freakin' laser. :evil: :evil:

I found the link about Sony doing free repairs and I'm going to try that. But apparently its more screwed than a DRE, its the "no data". Like I said its been a few months, but I think I remember trying the diagnostic mode and nothing happened. I may need to bluff my way through the diag. mode part of the phone call with sony.....but I need some help??
Atleast if they tell me to send it to them there's a chance they'll fix it??? Please help....My kids are driving me crazy and I'm having fight night 2004 withdrawls. :cry:

They probably measured the laser intensity as well, your laser is dead. You could go back and see if the same place would install a new laser for you (Around 80$ installed I figure) or just trade in the broken one for like 30$ store credit and buy another one. Sorry man your PS2 is toast.

One of my PS2's is acting real funny. First it takes me around 5-10 tries for the PS2 to show starting up sequence (it is not a cable problem). Then it occasionally frezes in the screen when you come up to the main menu. When I insert a disk into it, it takes several tries for the game to get past the initial few screens, but after that it works fine. Does anyone know what the problem is?

[quote name='ananag112']One of my PS2's is acting real funny. First it takes me around 5-10 tries for the PS2 to show starting up sequence (it is not a cable problem). Then it occasionally frezes in the screen when you come up to the main menu. When I insert a disk into it, it takes several tries for the game to get past the initial few screens, but after that it works fine. Does anyone know what the problem is?[/quote]

Have you tried cleaning it?

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='ananag112']One of my PS2's is acting real funny. First it takes me around 5-10 tries for the PS2 to show starting up sequence (it is not a cable problem). Then it occasionally frezes in the screen when you come up to the main menu. When I insert a disk into it, it takes several tries for the game to get past the initial few screens, but after that it works fine. Does anyone know what the problem is?[/quote]

Have you tried cleaning it?[/quote]

Where can I get the cleaning kit from, or do I just blow in compressed air?

If you mean taking off the top of the PS2 and cleaning the lens, I did that. I don't understand why the menu's are freezing on me though.

[quote name='ananag112'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='ananag112']One of my PS2's is acting real funny. First it takes me around 5-10 tries for the PS2 to show starting up sequence (it is not a cable problem). Then it occasionally frezes in the screen when you come up to the main menu. When I insert a disk into it, it takes several tries for the game to get past the initial few screens, but after that it works fine. Does anyone know what the problem is?[/quote]

Where can I get the cleaning kit from, or do I just blow in compressed air?[/quote]

Nope, no cleaning kit. I mean taking the top off, blow the hell out of it with compressed air, vacuum it, makes sure all vents are clear, get any dust, etc. out of there. wipe down metal surfaces with dry rag. That's what I did when I had similar problems, and it worked great afterwords.

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='ananag112'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='ananag112']One of my PS2's is acting real funny. First it takes me around 5-10 tries for the PS2 to show starting up sequence (it is not a cable problem). Then it occasionally frezes in the screen when you come up to the main menu. When I insert a disk into it, it takes several tries for the game to get past the initial few screens, but after that it works fine. Does anyone know what the problem is?[/quote]

Where can I get the cleaning kit from, or do I just blow in compressed air?[/quote]

Nope, no cleaning kit. I mean taking the top off, blow the hell out of it with compressed air, vacuum it, makes sure all vents are clear, get any dust, etc. out of there. wipe down metal surfaces with dry rag. That's what I did when I had similar problems, and it worked great afterwords.[/quote]

I did that, but it improved only slightly. Will Sony repair the PS2 even if the black tag comes off that voids the warrenty (I don't care cause my warrenty expired a while back)?

[quote name='ananag112'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='ananag112'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='ananag112']One of my PS2's is acting real funny. First it takes me around 5-10 tries for the PS2 to show starting up sequence (it is not a cable problem). Then it occasionally frezes in the screen when you come up to the main menu. When I insert a disk into it, it takes several tries for the game to get past the initial few screens, but after that it works fine. Does anyone know what the problem is?[/quote]

Nope, no cleaning kit. I mean taking the top off, blow the hell out of it with compressed air, vacuum it, makes sure all vents are clear, get any dust, etc. out of there. wipe down metal surfaces with dry rag. That's what I did when I had similar problems, and it worked great afterwords.[/quote]

I did that, but it improved only slightly. Will Sony repair the PS2 even if the black tag comes off that voids the warrenty (I don't care cause my warrenty expired a while back)?[/quote]

I don't think it matters anymore. Tell them you bought it used if they give you any hassle.

Ok thanks. It seems that my PS2 is completely dead. I tried to repair it (I am mad good at this type of stuff). It worked for awhile perfectly, but after a few uses, it is completely dead. I hear a loud noise and I smell the smell of bunt rubber coming out of it. I destroyed two of my favorite games on it (GTALSA and Onimusha 3), and scratched a ton of demos and music CD's. I will see if I can trade it in for some money. My PS2 works for a few seconds (maybe even a minute) but it iis real loud and it smells so bad around it. I have no clue whats wrong with it. Wish me luck when I try to go trade it in.

dude you raised the laser up too much it was rubbing against the bottom of your discs hence why your PS2 is dead, motor burnt out because of the friction on the disc and the discs are scratched, because of your laser be wicked careful when doing things like that.

Edit: Don't mess with the stupid white cog much all it does is raise and lower the laser. If your having problems its usally your laser is wicked dirty. Raising your laser might help out a bit but in the end your just screwing yourself.

I never touched the white Cog. See, what happened was I had 2 PS2's. One was my old one, the other I got as a present (it was refurbished). I tried to sell the second one, but then my first one broke. I had a warrenty on that, so I sent it to Sony so they could fix it. So, I just kept the second one so I could play my games while I was waiting for my PS2 to come back. Then this PS2 broke on me as well. I think I will just trad both of them in for one of the new PS2's. I will lower the laser and see if it works any better.

Well, I was getting the dreaded DRE's (Vice City and Xensoaga would not work on my system, even though they worked just fine previously). I actually used a guide at gamefaqs (probably the one linked to, but gamefaqs is blocked at my work, so I can't look). What worked for me was a combination of items.

First, I turned on the diagnostic mode (pushed triangle on the opening screen with no disc, and one of the options turns it on). Secondly, while in diagnosic mode, I used a $10 disc cleaner (the cd with the little brush on it). Neither worked by themselves, but both together did the trick. After doing that, I try to clean it every 6 months or so, and I haven't had another problem.

I tried writing the guide writer, but his email was no good.

I hope this can help someone.

So which repair should I try if I get no DRE, but I get a grinding noise while the disc tray opens, and a loud clicking while loading up some games?

Also you cleaned the mirror under the laser, because dust gets lodged there and unless you take the housing to the laser off you cannot clean it properly.

Anyone clean other lens under the front one? I tried that method and now everything loads up perfectly-not exactly pefectly, there's just a wait for the DVDs to load up.

Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to clean the mirror under the laser lense or whatever?

Where are the CD and DVD screws for V4?

I unscrewed the expansion bay... but I don't see any silver screws anywhere.

My PS2 works, but the laser is dying.

Taking it apart works wonders. I worked on it myself and now it work fine. I think spike TV has a good instruction guide.

I've got a question about something. I just got mine back from repairs yesterday. I opened the box up and found the same system(that works fine now), but it was missing the expansion bay cover and a few of the stands on the bottom. Should I contact Sony again to see if they will send some replacement parts?

bread's done
Back