CAG Foreplay: New Releases (1/29/07)

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's rocksolidaudio previews the new releases for the week of January 30th, 2007 and I try and save you a few bucks in case you are jonesing for that new game smell.

:360: :pc: Battlestations: Midway Dev. Eidos Pub. Eidos Systems: Xbox 360, PC MSRP: $59.99/$39.99
First and foremost, you should understand that Battlestations isn't the most accessible game around; it's a large-scale PC RTS at heart, and it's quite indicative in the 360 version, visually (functional but utterly plain) and mechanically (the menus and navigation weren't designed around an analog stick). That said, there is a lot to be enjoyed in either version for those willing to put in the time, especially when taking advantage of the multiplayer component. A very happy medium of satisfying action and military strategy, with echoes of both Chromehounds and Blazing Angels for the 360 crowd. When it comes down to it, if you're already interested in this type of game you probably won't mind the plain aesthetic and learning curve, and are likely already salivating at the thought of 8-person multiplayer and co-op (!) over Live. If you would rather your opponents demise was met via chainsaw and not through careful planning, well, keep on moving.

Cheapest Price: Play-Asia $44.90 (360 Asia Version)
While this one hasn't been confirmed as region-free yet, every Eidos game released in Asia on the Xbox 360 to date has been playable on North American consoles with full English voice and text. So if this game interests you and you don't need it on day one, it might be worth waiting to see how the region protection on this one plays out.

:360: Fuzion Frenzy 2 Dev. Hudson Soft Pub. Microsoft Systems: Xbox 360 MSRP: $49.99
Exactly what you're expecting: 40 minigames (some new, some remakes from the original) to duke it out in with three buddies on a couch or over Xbox Live. And...it's set in space this time. I'm sure there's some fun to be gleaned in setting up your own tournaments online, but chances are you won't know three people who own the game. You could chalk it up as a simple case of quantity over quality, but it has less games than the original and they aren't any better. It's understandable if you're starved for a party game, but you're likely better off purchasing a few new XBL Arcade games, which WON'T get old after fifteen minutes. Or you could ignore all this and follow the infallible logic of this choice sampling of one of Gamestop.com's 'Customer Previews': "I played the first one and i loved it so this one has gotta be even more awesome!!!!".

Cheapest Price: Play-Asia $39.90 (360 Asia Version)
Like Battlestations: Midway, Fuzion Frenzy 2 has not been confirmed region-free yet. Unfortunately, Microsoft published games haven't had a steady record concerning region protection, so definitely wait this one out if you are considering buying the Asian release.

:ps2: Rogue Galaxy Dev. Level-5 Pub. SCE Systems: PS2 MSRP: $39.99
It's phenomenal that we're still getting titles of this caliber so late in the PS2's life, not to mention that it's a huge amount of game for your 40 bucks (hopefully less). A charming space pirate epic from the people who brought you Dragon Quest VIII and Dark Cloud 2, Rogue Galaxy continues their reputation for strikingly gorgeous cel-shaded visuals and enjoyable combat (not something to be taken lightly in a traditional RPG). The arduous wait for the U.S. version has seen improvement to the character animation (already some of the best out there), as well as extra sub-missions and items to flesh out the options even further. It's not particularly innovative in it's game mechanics, but it doesn't really need to be when they all work so well. If you're not yet sick of Japanese RPGs (and don't mind playing as a character named Jaster Rogue), you'll devour this lavish galaxy romp.

Cheapest Price:
There don't seem to be any specific online deals for Rogue Galaxy, so a Best Buy Gamer Gift Card $5 off coupon or any other in-store coupons may be your only options on saving a few bucks on this one right now. If you are looking to purchase this game online though, you can set up a new Google Checkout account, and save $10 on the game at select online retailers.

:ps3: Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3) Dev. Sonic Team Pub. SEGA Systems: Xbox 360, PS3 MSRP: $59.99
Don't put down Resistance just yet. Sonic didn't fare too well on the 360 when this was a released a few months ago, and it's as much of a misguided mess as ever. Sonic is shinier and more vibrant than before, and the physics are surprisingly competent on occasion, but by and large it's an exercise in how little fun you can have pressing two different buttons. He runs, he jumps, you and the camera have creative differences, and he dies. It's not a hard game, but it can be crushingly frustrating when the inaccurate controls cause a simple action to send you hurtling off of a ledge. It's probably worth a shot for Sonic completionists or die-hard fans of the series, but are there even any of those left?

Cheapest Price: Amazon $54.99
Select Fry's B&M locations also have Sonic for $54.99 this week and CAG fidodido has provided us with the participating stores in his frequently updated Fry's ad thread. Like Rogue Galaxy, a Best Buy Gamer Gift Card $5 off coupon or any other in-store coupons can save you a few bucks at other B&M stores. If you are looking to go the online route, you can set up a new Google Checkout account, and save $10 on the game at select online retailers.

I'll probably get Rouge Galaxy, even though I have a huge backlog of PS2 RPGs. I'll just throw it on the backburner as well.

Been waiting like... forever for Rogue Galaxy. Definitely picking that up right away. Next week may be brutal though...

Nice job and I'm looking forward to these every week. I'm glad I can wait on FF2 til it drops (unless the wife overrules me, of course)

[quote name='callmesteam']Genius! I hope to actually see these every week. Anyone tracking down the best deal on 'Crackdown' yet?[/quote]

If you don't actually need the Crackdown disc for the H3 beta, expect to see a flood tidal wave of used copies soon after release.

Foreplay, is definitely a welcome addition to CAG. The concise previews are suprisingly descriptive and enjoyable to read. Not to mention the fact that my wallet becomes weak at the knees seeing the tacked on information regarding where to pick up these new releases for as cheap as possble. Keep up the good work, shipwreck + rocksolidaudio!

Nothing this week.

Well, lets face it. Wednesday will be a long day, and I'm longing for a new game. I'll probably stop by Gamestop after work and pick up Fuzion Frenzy II. I'll regret my decision exactly one hour fater I open the shrinkwrap.

Ah, fate it's a wonmderful thing; it takes the guilt away.

We need this kind of feature on a regular (if not weekly) basis. We kind of get it in the CAGcast, but this is a good opportunity to flesh out the previews and put some more meat on those bones.

This week is thankfully meh, with only Rogue Galaxy getting a rise out of me. I also have a painfully huge backlog of RPGs, not to mention getting sucked back into WoW BC, but I love Level 5 and will at least consider getting this w/GGC.

bread's done
Back