Super Robot Taisen OG2 and Summon Night 2 NEW at Gamestop B&M and Online! $19.99 each

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
Just got back from a nearby Gamestop, and it seems they have marked down these GBA games recently. Here are the links since it's now (2/2) online too:
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=160745

Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=160744

Both seem to be worthwhile GBA purchases, with Summon Night 2 having an 80% average at Game Rankings, and Super Robot Taisen 2, which I think got an implied "GBA Game of the Year" from GameSpot*. Both are Atlus-published titles and were apparently improved a great deal over their predecessors.

As for me, I bought SRTOG2 largely because I'm halfway through the first one, and I'm loving it so far.

*Even though GameSpot officially gave the GBA Game of the Year award to SRTOG1, it's clear from their reasoning that it won because the storyline of the first game is important in OG2, even to the point where it would be easy to feel lost if you've never played the first game or read a story FAQ.

UPDATE (2/1): Prices CONFIRMED for GS/EB B&M stores by fatbeer, botticus, and GTZ_NSR. Prices have still not been updated online though.

UPDATE (2/2): ONLINE GET! Yep, as Roufuss pointed out, they finally updated the web site with these price drops. Looks like they were saving them for the new batch of online price drops detailed in this topic:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126664

On another note, I went to another Gamestop today and bought Summon Night 2. Only got through the intro so far, but it seems to be shaping up to be a solid game with some humorous dialogue :).

I'd pick up both of those at that price. I'll have to check it out later today. Thanks OP. I've wanted Summon Night for awhile.

O man, that is a good price for SRT:OG2. I'm very tempted to pick it up, but I don't even have time to play with Hotel Dusk eating up all my handheld gaming time (which is not a lot).

I've wanted to try these for a while. Any word on the first games in these series? And any chance that Yggdra Union got marked down too?

[quote name='GTZ_NSR']These are universal drops right, and not YMMV?[/QUOTE]
Seems to be universal. The tag was marked at $19.99, the employee scanned the bar code on the back of a sealed copy from the drawer, and the computer also came up with $19.99.

[quote name='DrAndonuts']I've wanted to try these for a while. Any word on the first games in these series? And any chance that Yggdra Union got marked down too?[/QUOTE]
1. The first games in both of these series were marked down to $19.99 some time ago.
2. Unfortunately, the GameStop I went to did not have any more copies of Yggdra Union, so I can't give an answer on that.

EDIT: Might be worth mentioning: Unlike SRTOG2, Summon Night 2 apparently takes place in a different universe than the first one, which means that you probably won't need to play the first Summon Night to understand the second one.

Bastards... I bought Summon Knight 2 upon release at $29.99 thinking it would be hard to find and go OOP pretty fast. I haven't gotten SRT though, so maybe I can pick that up. And Yggrda Union would be sweet if that dropped as well...

[quote name='io']Bastards... I bought Summon Knight 2 upon release at $29.99 thinking it would be hard to find and go OOP pretty fast. I haven't gotten SRT though, so maybe I can pick that up. And Yggrda Union would be sweet if that dropped as well...[/quote]Yeah, that's obnoxious for SK2, but oh well. I guess I didn't take into account the whole "end of GBA lifecycle" thing while acknowledging that they're Atlus handheld titles. Though to be fair, there's only 1-3 copies in every store, while the first game (new) is long-gone.

SRT... look at reviews first. Not a bad game, just definitely not for everyone (me included).

Cool, I had just bought Summon Knight 1 for $19.99 at GC and was waiting for a sale because they still charge $29.99 for SK2. Guess I don't have to wait anymore. Thanks OP.

Both of these are fantastic offerings...among the highest tier of GBA titles, as far as I'm concerned. Atlus supported the GBA big-time in the twilight of its life by bringing these titles to the states, only to get overshadowed by the latest FF rehash. Screw Square...Atlus all the way in my book! :D

[quote name='DrAndonuts']I've wanted to try these for a while. Any word on the first games in these series? And any chance that Yggdra Union got marked down too?[/QUOTE]

I finished both OG1 and Summon Night 1. Both are very very good games. OG1 is a pretty tough SRPG, Summon Night is a lighthearted RPG with action battle sequence (think Tales series). I love them both and bought the sequels for $29.99 and not regret them. $19.99 is a steal.

[quote name='paean']I finished both OG1 and Summon Night 1. Both are very very good games. OG1 is a pretty tough SRPG, Summon Night is a lighthearted RPG with action battle sequence (think Tales series). I love them both and bought the sequels for $29.99 and not regret them. $19.99 is a steal.[/QUOTE]

You thought super robot taisen 1was tough?try second one!Boss have more life plus most of them have hp regeneration skill.Super Robot Taisen isn't incredibily difficult if your not trying to get a medal for each stage.Every time you lose a map to enemy forces,any xp gain during that battle will be converted over.Each of one average about 25-40 hours gameplay

Summon Knight 2 is pretty good game with hack slash rpg and customization weapon features.It's very simiple and easy to get use it.No complicated stuff.If your playing this game,expect a short game,average length is about 8-13 hours to beat.My character was lvl60 within 10 hours and in summon night 1 my character was lvl 80 in 10 hours

All of you, buy SRT:OG2!!! It's way better than the first, and I was addicted. Better animations, better story, better mechs, better characters, better ... everything! Think Suikoden II to Suikoden. One of the best games for GBA.

I got the first game in each series really cheap and was surprised at how much I loved them, I actually finished both Summon Night and SRT 1... I rolled the dice and was hoping for some kind of price drop on the second game in each series. Around here, EB / GS are the *only* places that sell either game (now that Rhino is gone) so I'll have to suck it up and go in there to grab them if this is true.

Hopefully Amazon will drop them to $20 a piece if this really does end up being a universal drop, which I hope it is.

[quote name='paean']I finished both OG1 and Summon Night 1. Both are very very good games. OG1 is a pretty tough SRPG, Summon Night is a lighthearted RPG with action battle sequence (think Tales series). I love them both and bought the sequels for $29.99 and not regret them. $19.99 is a steal.[/QUOTE]

OG1 wasnt that tough IMO. if you leveled up enough and upgraded the right mechs than its easy..I gave Sanger a complete upgrade of his grungust and he owned judecca pretty bad.

anyway anyone see the trailer of the DS version. sucks that its only out for japan as most of them are..but the animations are dam wicked in it.

[quote name='integralsmatic']OG1 wasnt that tough IMO. if you leveled up enough and upgraded the right mechs than its easy..I gave Sanger a complete upgrade of his grungust and he owned judecca pretty bad.

anyway anyone see the trailer of the DS version. sucks that its only out for japan as most of them are..but the animations are dam wicked in it.[/QUOTE]

Yea... OG 1 was painfully easy near the end, espicially that last boss. There was a very easy trick to beating Judecca I found out that basacially let me hit it every turn and it couldn't do ANYTHING to hit me back.

[quote name='Roufuss']Yea... OG 1 was painfully easy near the end, espicially that last boss. There was a very easy trick to beating Judecca I found out that basacially let me hit it every turn and it couldn't do ANYTHING to hit me back.[/QUOTE]

Yah I did that too.... I didn't realize that you can keep level up everytime you fail a mission. I reload a save game until the last few missions, that was why it was tough for me. Hehe.

[quote name='paean']Yah I did that too.... I didn't realize that you can keep level up everytime you fail a mission. I reload a save game until the last few missions, that was why it was tough for me. Hehe.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I just couldn't believe the game had a flaw that huge on the final boss... I was expecting the biggest fight of them all. And no, it wasn't the reloading trick, either ;) It was just a flaw on the developers side.

What was it? It took me a while for the final boss, and since I will replay it, I'd like to know this way of owning him. Also, in my opinion, SRT:OG2 was easier, mainly because of experience and knowing how to upgrade. That, and unite attacks out the anus.

[quote name='Moses144']What was it? It took me a while for the final boss, and since I will replay it, I'd like to know this way of owning him. Also, in my opinion, SRT:OG2 was easier, mainly because of experience and knowing how to upgrade. That, and unite attacks out the anus.[/QUOTE]

Let me see if I remember it right...

Judecca has a good array of attacks, however, most of them rely on energy. I found that if I simply drained her energy to 0, she was left with 2 or 3 attacks. 1 attack had to be within 1 - 2 space, the other was something like 5 - 9. Since Judecca dosen't move, if you stay within 3 - 4 spaces you can constantly keep hitting her, and as long as you keep draining her energy every turn to 0, she has no way of hitting you back at all.

Once I figured this out, she didn't get one chance to attack me.

just a heads up Yggdra Union did not price drop (my local eb has copies of all these games) but the manager said there is another GBA price drop coming this friday though he doesn't know what is dropping yet

[quote name='Roufuss']Let me see if I remember it right...

Judecca has a good array of attacks, however, most of them rely on energy. I found that if I simply drained her energy to 0, she was left with 2 or 3 attacks. 1 attack had to be within 1 - 2 space, the other was something like 5 - 9. Since Judecca dosen't move, if you stay within 3 - 4 spaces you can constantly keep hitting her, and as long as you keep draining her energy every turn to 0, she has no way of hitting you back at all.

Once I figured this out, she didn't get one chance to attack me.[/quote]

Ah, okay. I'll remember that.

Confirmed.I went to 3 local eb/gamestop both super robot taisen 1+2 and both summon night 1+2 are $19.99 each.Good luck,trying to find a non gut copy most stores order 1-3 copies,most of sealed were gone from preorders.

What so hard about super taisen anyway?All you really need is sp regeneration skills,one or two support character to refill energy ability to regenerate combo attack like ramage ghost or Tatsumaki Zankantou in taisen 2and characters with alert ability,maybe hit 100% ability for those super evasive boss

[quote name='fatbeer']Confirmed.I went to 3 local eb/gamestop both super robot taisen 1+2 and both summon night 1+2 are $19.99 each.Good luck,trying to find a non gut copy most stores order 1-3 copies,most of sealed were gone from preorders.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the confirm! I'll be picking up all four tomorrow. I think my local Gamestop has a new copy of Riveria - does anyone know if that's dropped down to 19.99 as well?

Same, I'll definitely head over to the local EB tomorrow.

I don't want to, I haven't bought from the store in over a year, but this is the cheapest I'll probably ever to be able to find Summon Night 2 and Super Robot Taisen 2.

I'm just wondering why it's taking so long for the website to update.

Apparently EB / GS has tons of these, every store is 1 - 3 on both games, some being 4 +, and the stores that have zero have "more on the way". I guess Atlus overproduced these?

[quote name='wjhard63']Thanks for the confirm! I'll be picking up all four tomorrow. I think my local Gamestop has a new copy of Riveria - does anyone know if that's dropped down to 19.99 as well?[/quote]I picked mine up for $9.99 a year ago.

[quote name='botticus']I picked mine up for $9.99 a year ago.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, botticus, I really appreciate the info! I guess I'll be picking up 5 atlus games tomorrow.

[quote name='guinaevere']Here's a dumb question, but why are these both 29.99 at gamestop.com if it's $10 cheaper in store?[/QUOTE]

Nobody knows.

Is this a universal price drop on both games or is it just EB/GS?
Ive been wanting to pick up summon night for a while now. But after reading through this thread I might have to get Super Robot Taisen 1 instead.

As a matter of fact, I asked the same thing. Their answer?

"The website is a different company than us. We don't even pricematch them."

I've got that answer from nearly every GS/EB in town when I call them on price mismatch.

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']Is this a universal price drop on both games or is it just EB/GS?
Ive been wanting to pick up summon night for a while now. But after reading through this thread I might have to get Super Robot Taisen 1 instead.[/QUOTE]

FYI, I felt Summon Night was a MUCH better game than SRT 1. SRT 1 had a pretty non-sensical plot with alot of acronyms, the entire middle part of the game is mostly filler, the game itself is pretty easy, blah blah blah. I enjoyed it, I'd probably give the game a 7.5, while Summon Night has an enjoyable story, an awesome battle system, some good collecting elements to it - I'd give it an 8.

Trust your first instincts on this one. I also knew a few people who are into SRPG's and couldn't get into SRT at all - it just bored them. It's definitely not for everyone.

[quote name='Moses144']What was it? It took me a while for the final boss, and since I will replay it, I'd like to know this way of owning him. Also, in my opinion, SRT:OG2 was easier, mainly because of experience and knowing how to upgrade. That, and unite attacks out the anus.[/QUOTE]

The energy drain is the best way to defeat her. she cant use any of her long range attacks and has to use her physical attack to do it. this is the way i did it. equip Latooni,Excellen, and Luna with the energy drain missiles. since they have the support ability make sure they are lined up next to each other. after that blast away. two missiles should drain her completley. if you got the Valsion then it should already have it equipped. after you drain her...give it a grungust beat down with the rest pounding away also...grungust 0 is ultra tough against judecca. she cant even put a dent in him with her normal attacks.

I might have to pick up SRT: OG2 at that price, I really liked the first one but still haven't beaten it yet (no time at the moment); and thus I didn't want to pick the second one up at full price, but at $20 I'd say its worth getting.

I think I'd really like both of these. $40 seems way too much for 2 gba games that I really only play on plane flights or if the wife wants the tv.
I'd pay maybe $10 each though.

[quote name='Roufuss']
Trust your first instincts on this one. I also knew a few people who are into SRPG's and couldn't get into SRT at all - it just bored them. It's definitely not for everyone.[/quote]That's me! :D

I sold it after getting through maybe a quarter of the game. While in theory insane customization is cool, it's just overwhelming in practice, and according to people here, you don't end up bothering with the majority of the possibilities. Add to that the fact that the story was impossible to get into, and I just had no attachment to it.

I've heard the second is better in that regard, but I'll be waiting for a clearance to find out.

I definitely recommend Summon Night over SRT. It's much shorter (probably a third the length) but I enjoyed it all the way through.

I'll have to go get Summon Night 2. I have no interest in SRW. I suppose the fact that we will never get the main SRW series (due to all the licensing issues) has put me off.

[quote name='Roufuss']FYI, I felt Summon Night was a MUCH better game than SRT 1. SRT 1 had a pretty non-sensical plot with alot of acronyms, the entire middle part of the game is mostly filler, the game itself is pretty easy, blah blah blah. I enjoyed it, I'd probably give the game a 7.5, while Summon Night has an enjoyable story, an awesome battle system, some good collecting elements to it - I'd give it an 8.

Trust your first instincts on this one. I also knew a few people who are into SRPG's and couldn't get into SRT at all - it just bored them. It's definitely not for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. Ill probably just get summon night then. ^_^

Are they making a Summon Night sequel for the DS anytime soon?

Regardless, I think I'm going to look into picking up both SN1 and 2, along with SRT1+2 down the road. My budget is $90 for Feb and March, and I was planning on getting Samuari Warriors 2: Empires and FF6, but now I might get two of these gba games and FF6. Never thought I would pick GBA games over a 360 game, but all the glowing reviews have tempted me, especially the price drops.

I'm just waiting on Amazon to drop the prices on these games, or I'll check out my local EB/GS later.

[quote name='SeraphiMichael']I'll have to go get Summon Night 2. I have no interest in SRW. I suppose the fact that we will never get the main SRW series (due to all the licensing issues) has put me off.[/QUOTE]

I was also under the belief that SRW would suck without the licensed characters, and I was so glad to be proven wrong. The story is great - though some of the minor characters yammer on too much - and I would argue that it's self-containedness is much better overall to those just starting the series; you don't need to be a Gundam, Macross, or Evangelion fan to enjoy the game.

bread's done
Back