Best PC FPS Ever.

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
I understand that many of today's PC FPSes tend to be ported over to their console bretheren and vica versa, but this thread counts for the FPSes that are exclusive to the PC or that were first on the PC and then ported over.

For my choice, I would have to go with either System Shock 2 or Half-Life.

Quake III Arena. Its the engine behind a lot of other FPS and there are some nice mods. Plus it can be played on older PC's too.

Ill say halflife, though there are so many great ones. I reallllly wanna play System Shock 2, that is one of the few great PC FPS games I havent played.

[quote name='punqsux']i dont think i could call tribes the best, but its multiplayer is right along side counter strike and unreal[/quote]

Me too.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Half-life by itself, a marginal best, if you include all half-life related mods, then it is no contest, hands down Half-life.[/quote]

Truly the mods help to elevate this game farther.

Right now I have to say UT 2004 but Im currently playing Half Life and I really like it. I have Far Cry and I have not even started it yet, so I could change my mind in the near future.

Someone's gonna flame me for saying this, but if I was going by time logged in a pc FPS, it'd be Halo multiplayer. :lol:

Otherwise, Half-Life. Tron 2.0 is way up there for me as well, and I highly reccomend it to those of you who haven't tried it.

[quote name='Ledhed']Someone's gonna flame me for saying this, but if I was going by time logged in a pc FPS, it'd be Halo multiplayer. :lol:

Otherwise, Half-Life. Tron 2.0 is way up there for me as well, and I highly reccomend it to those of you who haven't tried it.[/quote]

Halo should be disqualified since it was first a console exclusive.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Halo should be disqualified since it was first a console exclusive.[/quote]

That's why I wrote that second sentence buddy. :wink:

I included it simply because I've spent more time playing that game online than any other PC FPS. So, even though it was on a console first (which wouldn't be the case had Microsoft not involved themselves with Bungie), it's still the one I enjoy the most.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='hiccupleftovers']Halo should be disqualified since it was first a console exclusive.[/quote]

That's why I wrote that second sentence buddy. :wink:

I included it simply because I've spent more time playing that game online than any other PC FPS. So, even though it was on a console first (which wouldn't be the case had Microsoft not involved themselves with Bungie), it's still the one I enjoy the most.[/quote]

Oh ok, yaeh looking over it I guess you did say that. Sorry about that....hope everything's cool.

[quote name='Scrubking']The H word should never be mentioned next to the likes of the great PC games mentioned here. :puke:[/quote]

Don't get me wrong. I know Halo gets way too much credit as it is. I was just saying that if I went by time spent with a game, not by quality. I seriously think I've played Halo PC more than any other game. Ever. That is the only thing that made me mention it. As I said right after that, Half-Life gets my vote when actually responding to the question.

Doom. I loved playing that on dial up modem back in the day. I felt like I was living in the future by playing a game online....great stuff.

I'm going to have to go with Half-Life or Doom 3.
For multiplayer, since it is the only game I ever got into, I am going to say Team Fortress/Weapons Factory/Team Fortress Classic/etc. I loved those games so much. Especially Team Fortress Classic, my god I played that so much. I'm still waiting on Team Fortress 2.

Single player - Call of Duty, No One Lives Forever series
Multiplayer - Call of Duty, Battlefield: Vietnam
>_> Those are the only two games I've played seriously online. I just kinda touched on CS for a few rounds once and hated it. CS is only good at Lan parties. ^_^

Quake 2 is hands down my favorite FPS ever. For me, it's got perfect pacing - fantastic weapon balance - the mod community is absolutely huge - it will run on even marginal machines - what's not to love? Sadly with everyone caught up in the newer stuff many people have moved on - however there is still a fair amount ot people who enjoy rocket jumping and binding +hook in lithium mod.MMMmmmmm lithium...

battlefield 1942

vietnam sucked, and so does every other game named here.

anyways, why is half life so overrated??i never liked it much

edited for you retards, i had 2 mistakes, asshat

[quote name='pimp_daddy_smurf']battlefield 1942

vietnam sucked, nd so does every other game named here, why is half life so overrated??i never liked it much[/quote]

What was that? I couldn't read your opinion amidst the poor grammar and use of punctuation. I guess that invalidates your post. Damn.

[quote name='punqsux']id agree with half life and system shock 2, and id add deus ex to that list.[/quote]

All three of those are brilliant, with Half Life (by itself) being the best.

[quote name='Tromack']I'm going to have to go with Half-Life or Doom 3.
For multiplayer, since it is the only game I ever got into, I am going to say Team Fortress/Weapons Factory/Team Fortress Classic/etc. I loved those games so much. Especially Team Fortress Classic, my god I played that so much. I'm still waiting on Team Fortress 2.[/quote]

Yep, of all the Half-life mods I played Teamfortress Classic the most, just so balanced and fun with all the classes, what was your favorite class? Mine was Engineer when defending and Medic when attacking.

I think we'll be waiting on TF2 till the next millenia :roll:

[quote name='magilacudy']Battlefield 1942. I think I've spent the most percentage of my online gaming with it.[/quote]

Yes, I totally agree with you man right there. I love this game so much, better than halo, in my opinion.. But Halo has its own fun parts in it too, especially in multiplayer.

I'd have to say Soldier of Fortune II - Multiplayer. I've spent endless hours playing this game. It has consumed part of my life.

Call of Duty is also excellent, both SP and MP.

:p

Descent (all of the series) was a real winner, along with Forsaken. People tend to forget the greatness of 360degrees of free movement.

bread's done
Back