HELP!!! PS3 issue.... PROBLEM SOLVED THANKS TO CAG MEMBERS AND FIRMWARE 1.8!!!

Chitown021

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
My PS3 has been working fine since I bought it in December. I have it hooked up to a hi def TV using the HDMI cable. Today was the first time I tried playing a PS2 game (NFL 2K5). I loaded the game and I guess didn't have the memory card info set up right. I turned it off to go back to the main menu and I lost the signal (no picture). Now when I turn it back on I get no signal (I assume it's still stuck in lo def and my TV is trying to pick up the hi def signal).

Anyone run into this issue? I've tried turning the console off via the switch in the back but I still can't get the picture to come back up. Also is there a proper way to exit a game and get back to the main PS3 menu (like the home button on the PSP).

Any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

Hold down the power button on the console until it beeps twice (~10 seconds). It will adjust the settings to what is attached to it (HDMI in this case).

[quote name='Chitown021']Gave that a try... still no go. I can't get the picture back.[/quote]

make sure it is connected right and then hold it again for about 20 secs

It's very odd. The PS2 game loaded just fine. The title menu came up for the game and it said something about not having enough room to save a game. I was trying to load my season info from the last time I played and I couldn't get it to register. I figured that I had the memory card configured wrong in the system so I wanted to get back to the title menu. I tried to exit the game but I wasn't sure what I could hit on the control pad to get back the PS3 menu. I ended up ejecting the game and resetting the console. When the console came back up my TV kept saying "Unusable Signal".

Ever since I did this I can't get anything to come up on my TV. I tried reloading the PS2 game, tried putting in Talladega Night, and just tried booting the system to the main menu. All show nothing. Next I will probably try connecting the system using the AV cables to see if I can get the menu up so I can adjust the settings.

[quote name='gizmogc']Is it stuck on HDMI settings?

If you have not done so already, I would update the firmware (1.51) just in case.[/quote]

I just updated the firmware on Friday night. After I did that I played the NBA 07 demo in high def.

I tried unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in on both ends (TV and PS3). No luck there. I assume the system is stuck broadcasting a lo def signal and the TV is trying to receive a hi def signal...

That sucks because honestly with me, my HDMI didn't work either, but it ended up being the actually port on my 60" SXRD XBR2 that had to be replaced. Only one of the two HDMI ports worked, but now both of them do. If you have more than one HDMI port, try the other.

[quote name='NamPaehc']And if that doesn't work, try reconnecting the cables the system came with and reset it back to HDMI.[/quote]

That was going to be my next step. I will see if I can get the picture via regular A/V cables and see if I can reset the display settings. If not I still have the receipt and will get it replaced at BB. I think the store will cover it for the first 90 days if I'm not mistaken (bought it Dec 8th).

[quote name='Pootie Thang']That sucks because honestly with me, my HDMI didn't work either, but it ended up being the actually port on my 60" SXRD XBR2 that had to be replaced. Only one of the two HDMI ports worked, but now both of them do. If you have more than one HDMI port, try the other.[/quote]

It could be that my HDMI port went out on my TV. I only have one so I can't test it.

[quote name='Chitown021']That was going to be my next step. I will see if I can get the picture via regular A/V cables and see if I can reset the display settings. If not I still have the receipt and will get it replaced at BB. I think the store will cover it for the first 90 days if I'm not mistaken (bought it Dec 8th).[/QUOTE]

I think the holiday return policy was till the end of January, not 90 days. I would research that asap.

and btw to exit any game (ps3 or ps2) just hold down the PS button on the controller until a menu comes up.

If a game's in it'll give you options to quit game, turn off controller, turn off the system, and um...something else I think.

If there's no game and you're already at the menu, if you hold down the PS button you can turn off the controller or the system directly from the controller.

You can also turn on the system with the controller by pressing the PS button.

[quote name='The Cheapest Ass Gamer']You're sure you did the video reset correctly? Switch the main power off first, then hold the power button on the front of the console until you hear two beeps.[/quote]

thats what i am thinking because that should auto set it.

[quote name='The Cheapest Ass Gamer']You're sure you did the video reset correctly? Switch the main power off first, then hold the power button on the front of the console until you hear two beeps.[/quote]

I don't think I did that right. With the main power switch on I held down the power button. So then do I switch the main power off, hold down the power button, then flip the main switch on while still holding the power button down?

[quote name='imascrub']and btw to exit any game (ps3 or ps2) just hold down the PS button on the controller until a menu comes up.

If a game's in it'll give you options to quit game, turn off controller, turn off the system, and um...something else I think.

If there's no game and you're already at the menu, if you hold down the PS button you can turn off the controller or the system directly from the controller.

You can also turn on the system with the controller by pressing the PS button.[/quote]

Awesome thanks for the tip. I didn't realize you could do that. (I only spent about 2 hrs messing with the system when I hooked it up in Dec). I guess I should've spent more time learning the ins and outs before trying to jack around with it today.

UPDATE:

I hooked up my PS3 using the A/V cables that came with it and got the main screen stating that an HDMI cable has been detected and asked if I would like to use it. When I select "YES" and switch over to that input I get nothing. I even got into the main menu on the a/v cables, went into display options, and tried it again. Now I know there is an issue I just don't know where. It's either:

1) The PS3 HDMI port is toast and not transmitting the signal
2) For some reason the HDMI cable went out
3) The HDMI port on my TV is fried. (only have one).

I used to run my cable box through HDMI before I got the PS3 so I'm going to try switching it back to hopefully eliminate issues with #2 and #3.

The components I am using are the following:

PS3 system (60 GB)
HDMI cable (5ft RCA Brand)
RCA Scenium 50" HDTV (Model #HD50LPW175)

ONE LAST UPDATE FOR THE NIGHT:
Tried hooking up my cable box via HDMI... Nothing.

The issues still could be any of the three things listed above however now I tend to believe it's either the cable or the HDMI input on the TV. I will probably buy a HDMI cable in the morning, try it, and go from there. If it's the television I'm in good shape since it's less than a year old and I bought the 3 yr service plan from BB with it.

Anybody out there fried the HDMI port or an HDMI cable before?

While I don't have anything to offer in regards to advice, I would like to point out that this is (with a couple exceptions) the most mature and delightful online community I have seen. I'm sure somebody here will be able to fix your problem, and I am damn happy to be a CAG.

Did you try plugging in both the HDMI and the RCA cables simultaneously, then holding the power button to reset the signal (again, wait for the second beep, around ~7-10 seconds).

Then, check your tv on either the HDMI input channel or the RCA input. Judging by your cable diagnostic above, man...it really could be your tv (yikes) or your HDMI cable ($5-7). Here's hoping, if anything, it's the latter.

[quote name='mykevermin']Did you try plugging in both the HDMI and the RCA cables simultaneously, then holding the power button to reset the signal (again, wait for the second beep, around ~7-10 seconds).

Then, check your tv on either the HDMI input channel or the RCA input. Judging by your cable diagnostic above, man...it really could be your tv (yikes) or your HDMI cable ($5-7). Here's hoping, if anything, it's the latter.[/quote]

Yep tried that. When I did it I turned the TV to the A/V input and it showed the screen where the PS3 detected the HDMI cable and it asked "Do you want to use the HDMI input yes or no" I selected yes and then of course lost the a/v signal. I then switched to the HDMI input and got nothing.

I even went to the main PS3 menu screen, selected "display options" and tried switching the input to HDMI there (where the screen will switch for 30 seconds then switch back). I will probably go to one of the local stores and pick up a HDMI cable today (I beleive Wally World carries them and has a good return policy so I can take it back when I'm done testing). If it is the cable like you say I can get a cheap replacement on-line.
[quote name='Zing']I wonder if unplugging the TV overnight would "reset" it.[/quote]
I'm also going to try the suggestion of unplugging the TV. Maybe that will reset the HDMI port on the TV if that's the problem (worth a try).

thanks.. I actually took my playstation to a friends' home, and it was set to HDMI, and I was using the component cables, (y b g) and the PS3 wasnt set to that.. .so that night, we weren't able to play because I didn't know you could hold the power button down... thanks for the tip.

Sounds like you could just use the PS3 on your RCA in the meantime (it ain't pretty, but it works). If nothing else, it shows that the console might not be the issue.

Have you tried/can you try anything else in the HDMI slot? You've kinda eliminated any problems outside of (1) the HDMI cable itself or (2) the HDMI ports on the tv/PS3 (ouch).

[quote name='mykevermin']Sounds like you could just use the PS3 on your RCA in the meantime (it ain't pretty, but it works). If nothing else, it shows that the console might not be the issue.

Have you tried/can you try anything else in the HDMI slot? You've kinda eliminated any problems outside of (1) the HDMI cable itself or (2) the HDMI ports on the tv/PS3 (ouch).[/quote]

Unfortunately I have no other HDMI cables and my cable box is the only other HDMI device I have in the house. I wish I had another HDMI monitor or something so I could test the PS3 and cable on it.

Interesting... Well after I unplugged the television for a few hours I plugged it back in and reconnected the HDMI cable. Now it's receiving the signal but something still isn't right. As the PS3 was turning on I heard bits of the bootup screen music but still no picture. The "unuseable signal" warning no longer shows up on the screen. Good news is it's detecting some sort of output from the PS3. I will reconnect the a/v cables and mess with the display settings...

[quote name='Chitown021']Unfortunately I have no other HDMI cables and my cable box is the only other HDMI device I have in the house. I wish I had another HDMI monitor or something so I could test the PS3 and cable on it.[/QUOTE]

Go into Best Buy with the cable and say you bought it there recently. And, then have them test it for you.

:bouncy: :bouncy: WE HAVE A WINNER!!!! I got the signal back and we're crankin' out a 1080i picture again!!! After I noticed the HDMI slot was at least detecting something I used the a/v cables to go to the main menu and select "Display Settings". Once I did this I selected HDMI, 1080i, and switched the input on the TV. The picture was back!

Many thanks once again to all the CAGers in this thread especially mykevermin and Zing!!! Also thank you imascrub for the PS3 control tips!!!

Now that everything is running again here's my guess at the problem...
When I booted up NFL 2K5 (still the best NFL game for the PS2 IMHO but that's another discussion for another thread...) the PS3 downshifted the signal to 480i. The TV then adjusted itself to accept the new low def signal. When I abruptly ejected the disc and rebooted the PS3 the TV didn't adjust it's settings and was still looking for a 480i signal. When the PS3 came back up it was back to pumping out a 1080i signal and the TV could not pick it up.

[quote name='Chitown021']:bouncy: :bouncy: WE HAVE A WINNER!!!! I got the signal back and we're crankin' out a 1080i picture again!!! After I noticed the HDMI slot was at least detecting something I used the a/v cables to go to the main menu and select "Display Settings". Once I did this I selected HDMI, 1080i, and switched the input on the TV. The picture was back!

Many thanks once again to all the CAGers in this thread especially mykevermin and Zing!!! Also thank you imascrub for the PS3 control tips!!!

Now that everything is running again here's my guess at the problem...
When I booted up NFL 2K5 (still the best NFL game for the PS2 IMHO but that's another discussion for another thread...) the PS3 downshifted the signal to 480i. The TV then adjusted itself to accept the new low def signal. When I abruptly ejected the disc and rebooted the PS3 the TV didn't adjust it's settings and was still looking for a 480i signal. When the PS3 came back up it was back to pumping out a 1080i signal and the TV could not pick it up.[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly the PS3 needs a TV that supports HDMI 1.3. I would check to make sure that your RCA uses that mode of HDMI.

The PS3 uses HDMI 1.3. I would check and make sure your RCA supports that form of HDMI. You can search your model number on google usually to find out.

[quote name='rodeojones903']The PS3 uses HDMI 1.3. I would check and make sure your RCA supports that form of HDMI. You can search your model number on google usually to find out.[/quote]

I did a quick search but everything I read just talks about HDMI in general. Nothing about whether that particular model supports HDMI 1.3 technology. I'll keep looking...

[quote name='rodeojones903']The PS3 uses HDMI 1.3. I would check and make sure your RCA supports that form of HDMI. You can search your model number on google usually to find out.[/QUOTE]
That won't have anything to do with it. HDMI is backwards compatible and currently all TVs are either 1.1 or 1.2.

The problem may be with the way the TV handles the HDMI itself.

I went in and tried playing NFL 2K5 again today. My TV did the same thing. Once I exited the game (this time I hit the PS button on the controller to exit ot the main menu) my TV lost the picture. Tried resetting the PS3 and still got nothing. I finally had to turn off and unplug the TV to reset the HDMI port again. Once I reset the TV the picture showed up again. I wonder if maybe I should just get some component cables and hook my PS3 up that way?

First of all, it's really nice to see people helping each other out here. Not one negative thing it seems.

It sounds like your TV is having a big problem with the HDMI HDCP "handshake" protection when switching video modes.

I'm assuming your TV is 1080i max right?
Yeah, maybe a set of component cables would cure your HDMI woes.
HOWEVER, not all TVs will accept a high-def signal via component, you'll have to check your TV's manual.

[quote name='dallow']First of all, it's really nice to see people helping each other out here. Not one negative thing it seems.

It sounds like your TV is having a big problem with the HDMI HDCP "handshake" protection when switching video modes.

I'm assuming your TV is 1080i max right?
Yeah, maybe a set of component cables would cure your HDMI woes.
HOWEVER, not all TVs will accept a high-def signal via component, you'll have to check your TV's manual.[/quote]

I agree this thread has been a wonderful example CAGers willingness to help each other.

You are correct. My TV has a max output of 1080i.
The television set does accept the 1080i signal via component cables (I currently have my hi def cable box hooked up via component cables). Before I got my PS3 I went ahead an hooked up my cable box via HDMI. I decided to switch because I only have one HDMI port and I had component cables that came with the cable box ready to use (since the PS3 would require an additional purchase to get the system specific component cables).

[quote name='Chitown021']I agree this thread has been a wonderful example CAGers willingness to help each other.

You are correct. My TV has a max output of 1080i.
The television set does accept the 1080i signal via component cables (I currently have my hi def cable box hooked up via component cables). Before I got my PS3 I went ahead an hooked up my cable box via HDMI. I decided to switch because I only have one HDMI port and I had component cables that came with the cable box ready to use (since the PS3 would require an additional purchase to get the system specific component cables).[/quote]

I bought some official PS2 component cables from Toys R Us for about $15 if that helps you any for your PS3. Unless you want a higher quality cable.

Sorry man, don't know what the problem is with your HDMI.

[quote name='dallow']I bought some official PS2 component cables from Toys R Us for about $15 if that helps you any for your PS3. Unless you want a higher quality cable.

Sorry man, don't know what the problem is with your HDMI.[/quote]

I think it is the "handshake" issue mentioned earlier for which I don't believe there is a solution.

Are the PS2 and PS3 component cables the same? (I would assume so since the PS2 and PS3 a/v cables seem to be the same).
I figure if I can get a set of component cables for fairly cheap (I definitely want the Sony brand ones) I will put my cable box back on HDMI and hook the PS3 up via component (my other component slot is taken up by my Wii system).

[quote name='Chitown021']I think it is the "handshake" issue mentioned earlier for which I don't believe there is a solution.

Are the PS2 and PS3 component cables the same? (I would assume so since the PS2 and PS3 a/v cables seem to be the same).
I figure if I can get a set of component cables for fairly cheap (I definitely want the Sony brand ones) I will put my cable box back on HDMI and hook the PS3 up via component (my other component slot is taken up by my Wii system).[/quote]

Yeah, cables should work the same.
Regular price on the PS2 components is 25.
15 at TRU if you can find them.

Grats on getting it worked out. I also tried what people said in this thread on 2 different tv's. No luck though. I just hope I'll get my replacement from BB (all stores around are OOS) soon before VF:5 and Tekken: DR comes out.

[quote name='Psykodelik']Grats on getting it worked out. I also tried what people said in this thread on 2 different tv's. No luck though. I just hope I'll get my replacement from BB (all stores around are OOS) soon before VF:5 and Tekken: DR comes out.[/quote]

Thanks I hope you get your issues resolved soon as well. I was afraid my PS3 had gone out when things first happened but apparently my TV just doesn't like to play nice with the PS3 via HDMI. I will take dallow's suggestion and check TRU for the Sony component cables. $15 works for me. Since my TV can't do 1080p I guess there's really no advantage to using the HDMI connection. I actually had a set of PS2 off brand component cables but I sold them when I sold my PS2 (to help pay for my PS3).

bread's done
Back