Best System Selector?

Supreme

CAGiversary!
Feedback
100 (100%)
Thanks to the Wii entering the family, I now have 3 consoles that I regularly use. I have a S-Video connector on the back of my TV, so I'd like to get em all connected via S-Video. Can anyone recommend me a good system selector that supports S-Video? Would the quality somehow degrade because of a system selector being used (I'm guessing no)? Appreciate any help I can get.

I Use a pelican system selector for my systems that are hooked up with Composite. You can have as many as 5 systems hooked up with it, And it supports S Video, Although I haven't used it with S Video.

I've got one of those Pelican system selector Pro versions. Use it with s-video and it works great. Also has 3 ethernet ports on the back of it too. I don't think you can buy them in stores any longer but you can get them on Ebay for around $30.

They make an updated model of the pro version but it's pretty expensive and only has 5 or 6 sets of inputs on it. The older one that I've got has 7.

i just ordered a xbox 360 control center from joytech @buy.com with google checkout i've read alot of good reviews on it along with the psyclone system selector those two are great choices.

[quote name='norkusa']I've got one of those Pelican system selector Pro versions. Use it with s-video and it works great. Also has 3 ethernet ports on the back of it too. I don't think you can buy them in stores any longer but you can get them on Ebay for around $30.[/quote]

No, this is still available at EB/GS for $19.99. Also at Best Buy (for $5 more). Note that the EB/GS one is branded as a Gamestop selector. I think at Best Buy it's Pelican branded.

I have it and it works well. And when you move up to component video it can handle that as well.

You can also contact pelican support for next gen console labels if you are unhappy with just the last gen tags.

[quote name='Billservo']No, this is still available at EB/GS for $19.99. Also at Best Buy (for $5 more). Note that the EB/GS one is branded as a Gamestop selector. I think at Best Buy it's Pelican branded.[/QUOTE]

That's probably a big YMMV. These were clearanced out at most stores months ago and anything you see in-store are probably leftovers from that.

[quote name='Billservo']You can also contact pelican support for next gen console labels if you are unhappy with just the last gen tags.[/QUOTE]

For real?!?! I was just thinking the other day about how great it'd be if Pelican offered some updated tags for these selectors. How much are they and how do you order them?

[quote name='norkusa']That's probably a big YMMV. These were clearanced out at most stores months ago and anything you see in-store are probably leftovers from that.

For real?!?! I was just thinking the other day about how great it'd be if Pelican offered some updated tags for these selectors. How much are they and how do you order them?[/QUOTE]

I am thinking that he's talking about this POS one

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=801888
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...system+selector&type=product&id=1113534250337

And not the Pelican System Selector PRO.

I have a cheap one from Fry's that only cost me $20 and works well enough. Have never seen any distortion or anything and it works well enough. I don't really think you need to splurge on one of these.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']I am thinking that he's talking about this POS one

(Your links did not work for me.)

And not the Pelican System Selector PRO.[/quote]
Interesting, I see pretty bad reviews on New Egg for the PRO and I have no problems with the one I'm talking about. But, yeah, it's cheap.

Anyway I am talking about the Pelican PL-970 (warning, shitty shockwave site): http://www.pelicanacc.com/

Go there and then select "Universal".

Here it is still on the Best Buy site: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7196964&type=product&id=1113534250337
Edit: Here it is at Gamestop: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801888

[quote name='norkusa']For real?!?! I was just thinking the other day about how great it'd be if Pelican offered some updated tags for these selectors. How much are they and how do you order them?[/quote]
They were free, not even a shipping charge. Bypass the shitty shockwave site: http://pelicanperformance.com/gopopulous/

Submit a support ticket. Tell them you want Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 tags for the PL-970. Give them your address. You'll get back a response like this, "we will send you the tags." and they'll show up in about a week. There's also a phone number on the shockwave site under "Contact Us" but I didn't try that.

[quote name='devildr1ver']yea the one you mentioned is good but the only bad thing about it is that it doesn't support hd or have optical and component you can see here.........

http://www.joytech.net/5/products/av/9/76/AV-Control-Center-2.htm[/QUOTE]
Wrong product. It does support component and optical. I'm not sure about HD, but I would assume so.
100635015xe.jpg

I'm going to research it some more, and probably pick one up. Good find Supreme.

EDIT: After reading at AVS, it does support HD! I'll be picking one up fasho!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-612573.html

I picked up that Pelican System Selector Pro like a week ago. I found a gamecrazy that had two of these for $50 each. It's not the version with the remote, but that isn't much of a problem. I really should ask them about some of those next gen tags.

[quote name='erehwon']I picked up that Pelican System Selector Pro like a week ago. I found a gamecrazy that had two of these for $50 each. It's not the version with the remote, but that isn't much of a problem. I really should ask them about some of those next gen tags.[/QUOTE]

I just emailed Pelican today about those and they said the new tags are only available for the PL-970 (the shitty $20 selector). :whistle2:(

[quote name='norkusa']I just emailed Pelican today about those and they said the new tags are only available for the PL-970 (the shitty $20 selector). :whistle2:([/QUOTE]
Darn. I would have liked to have some updated ones. Oh well. I had just sent off a request for those tags as well.

[quote name='plastikpyro']Not exactly cheap but I picked up the Psyclone system selector today from best buy for $92 using the 12% off Reward Zone coupon. It's top notch quality and looks pimp with a brushed aluminum front and blue LED display. I have my x360,Wii,PS2 and Xbox hooked up to it and everything looks clean and sharp without any loss of quality or degredation.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7660578&type=product&id=1134701087687&ref=06&loc=01[/quote]The cheap pelican $20 HD selector I got about 1+ years ago finally broke on me. I've been trying to find this same Psyclone model, but can't find it anywhere in my local BB's or CC's. You're from SoCal, did you find this anywhere near the 619 area?

I got it from Best Buy Costa Mesa 96262. It was the last one on the shelf but I've seen them recently at the Irvine and Westminster locations.

*The best buy locator shows that these location have them in stock:
Mira Mesa CA 9540 Mira Mesa Blvd, San Diego, CA 92126
El Cajon CA 149 Fletcher Pkwy, El Cajon, CA 92020-2571

I picked up the Psyclone last month, and am relatively happy with it, but I found that it has some lines that run through it if you don't turn off the other items plugged into it. I figured mine was just crappy, but I made the mistake of throwing out the box so I couldn't return it.

But boy is it a step up from that $20 Pelican junker the PL-970 where two of the components made everything turn green and on the one that worked, the audio made funny sounds if you didn't plug the white into it and then the red into one of the other slots. But for $20 it did its job for a few months.

whats wrong with gamestop's system selector? why is it "crappy"? I mean it does its job...its only 20 bux.... what makes the other ones so much better (other than they can support up to 8 systems and the optical thing) I say this because if you play mostly older systems and utilize the wii...there really isnt a point fo optical sound now is there?

My problem with it was that we went through three of them before we came across one that would take even a single component connection, and then as I stated above two of the three on the back of it made everything green. They seem to of either had a bad batch, or they are generally poorly made.

As for the high end ones or high dollar whatever you want to call them, well they plug in. This helps to get rid of several signal problems and other picture quality losses. Where things looked good on the PL-970, with the Psyclone, they look the same as plugging into the tv, minus the occasional lines. Also with older systems my complaint isn't valid as I never had problems with the standard composites.

And although it's not really necessary, the remotes that come with some of the newer ones, are nice to have around at times when you're across the room and decide to switch from the DVD player to the Cable box.

whatever you do dont buy this one. i recently bought this one at gamestop for 20 bucks, thinking i was getting a good deal. but really i was just getting a piece of shit. sometimes the picure quality is fuzzy, and you have to turn it on and off until the picture becomes clear. i might have been able to deal with that but the worst part about it is anytime the screen goes all white, or mostly white it blacks out thinking there is no signal. its being returned and im going to go with the system selector pro 2.0.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-AV-Selector-Storage/dp/B000BDGAO6

B000BDGAO6.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

[quote name='WuGgaRoO']whats wrong with gamestop's system selector? why is it "crappy"? I mean it does its job...its only 20 bux.... what makes the other ones so much better (other than they can support up to 8 systems and the optical thing) I say this because if you play mostly older systems and utilize the wii...there really isnt a point fo optical sound now is there?[/quote]I'm no AV expert, but when I started using the $20 pelican HD Selector I did notice slight degradation in the 720p resolution, as opposed to having the cables plugged directly into the TV. My guess was the fact that the selector had no power source of its own. I could really care less though as long as there are no annoying lines. However, from what I've seen, you're always going to see some degradation unless you're willing to pay an absurd price for the higher-end selectors that are out there on the market.

i exchanged the one i had and picked up the pelican pro 2.0. i love it, the picture quality is so much better. plus it has 2 extra inputs (5 component and 1 svideo/composite) and the remote actually works! the lcd display looks good to know what youre on and best of all, the screen doesnt cut out when it goes all white!!

the only downsides are: only 2 ethernet ports and the price. i think you can get it cheaper at gamestop for 60 or 70, i got mine for 50 after some sneaky stuff.

I have the psyclone selector and have found that there is no signal degredation at all. The programable lcd display is awesome to show off the current system you are playing and really looks great. I have an older pelican system selector that I use on my other tv for the older systems which is adequate and well used for $20. The psyclone is well worth the higher price tag as it has component, s-vid, composite, optical, and ethernet connections for 4 systems. I picked mine up at circuit city.

[quote name='zewone']I just bought one from this guy on eBay who seems to have a steady supply of them. $43 shipped. Cheapest I could find; pretty good deal for a powered component selector.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190081575800&rd=1&rd=1[/quote]

I just bought one of them from this guy, too. I'm more of a low-end gamer as I'm still playing on a regular 27" CRT with component cables. So I figure that this'll work out okay for me despite the reported minor problems that some users have found. I'll post an update once I receive mine.

[quote name='iheartmetal']whatever you do dont buy this one. i recently bought this one at gamestop for 20 bucks, thinking i was getting a good deal. but really i was just getting a piece of shit. sometimes the picure quality is fuzzy, and you have to turn it on and off until the picture becomes clear. i might have been able to deal with that but the worst part about it is anytime the screen goes all white, or mostly white it blacks out thinking there is no signal. its being returned and im going to go with the system selector pro 2.0.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-AV-Selector-Storage/dp/B000BDGAO6

B000BDGAO6.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wouldn't really recommend this one. I got it, and it looked great for $20. I don't have many of the problems most people are having (black and white only, fuzzy video, etc.). However, I only use it for composite. I'm absolutely sure if I go any higher, it'll get crappy. During certain parts of games, the top half of the screen jumps around and pixels are flying (using the Wind Waker, for example). I don't know why this happens.

I've been fiddling around with the Joytech 240C for a couple days now, and everything's been perfect.

As previously stated, I'm more of a low-end gamer because I'm still using a regular 27" CRT. I have 3 component inputs (DVD, Wii, PS2), 1 S-Video (switched between GCN, N64, SNES), and 2 composite (DC, NES). I tried closely inspecting the difference between running all 3 types of video cables directly to the TV and then through the 240C. I couldn't see a difference at all. Everything was still as sharp and bright through the 240C, even during realtime gameplay motion.

I've heard that there are may be some image problems exhibited through the use of optical toslink audio but I run those directly to my receiver and not through the 240C.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with my purchase of the 240C. I do wish it could automatically pick up signals and power on or switch source, but for $40 I really can't complain. :)

$40 is a great price. I bit and picked one up at BB for $80 near the end of last year, and its all worked great.

360, Xbox, Wii, PS2 all hooked up with component and all look great. Optical out for 360 and Xbox and ethernet ports for all as well. And I even have a spot left open for a PS3 whenever I get around to it.

Great product.

I actually found 2 pelican system selector's at a circuit city close by. It has composite connector's and s-video so I'm all set. Got the wii, ps2 and 360 connected to it. I needed one too because my tv only has two composite connections.

Been using the Black System Selector Pro for at least a year or 2 now. Great picture quality but I haven't used the component switching as of yet.

When I first got the 240C about a week ago, I hooked up my 360 with a a set of component cables I had lying around. The screen was very green and unplayable. I had hoped it was just the cables since they were just a cheap pair from Target. I ordered a pair of component cables and some short ethernet cables to try out the routing capabilites of the 240C from Monoprice.

Today, I got the cables and hooked up my 360 and it looks great! Exactly how it does when I hook it up straight to my HDTV. I also hooked up an ethernet cable to the 240C and I got on Live in no time flat, same as a direct connection. This product is fantastic and I'm very pleased with my purchase.

bump! I have a question, I can't decide between the joytech one or the pelican/score System Selector Pro. Which would be the better choice(dollar wise & feature wise) for s-video, and for the future component?

They have similar features, the 240C has one extra set of connection ports available. Besides that, make sure you're getting the Pro 2.0.

I would say, just get whichever one you can find cheaper. I've never seen the Pro 2.0 cheaper than $70, so the 240C for $40 was a bargain.

anyone know the difference between the joytech 240c and 245c? and did anyone have problems it not working with the Wii like on other forums?

[quote name='IbiteHRD']anyone know the difference between the joytech 240c and 245c? and did anyone have problems it not working with the Wii like on other forums?[/quote]

I'm curious too. Almost ready to jump on a 240c, but would like to know what the 245c has going for it.

bread's done
Back