Yeah, you can't move a hard drive from one PS3 to another.
I upgraded to 1TB hard drives in both of my slims a year or two ago. I installed a bunch of stuff to one and then did the network system to system copy. The whole process was super slow and painful. I'm installing the latest stuff I've bought on both of them now. I'm surprised that I'm actually using up most of the drive space.
Couple tips for people going through this pain:
1) Use the download list in account management, not the download list in the store
2) I've read that the store works a little better if you drop your resolution down to 720p (memory issues). It still craps out after a while.
3) Check for updates on your digital games since they aren't all prepatched
4) Pause your downloads before installing a game - doing both at the same time makes the install even slower
5) Better yet, use the power off in the XMB menus (not from holding the PS button on the controller). You will get an option to turn the PS3 off after downloads have finished. Games will automatically install before powering off.
I'm afraid network system to system copy won't work as my current PS3 doesn't connect to the internet. Also, that requires a second 1TB drive in the destination PS3, which is what I wanted to avoid having to buy.
I guess option three is re-download everything on the new PS3. Luckily all my save games made it to PS+ Cloud prior to the network failure, but this sounds sloooooow.
- AEC likes this