Jump to content


Sk

Member Since 23 Jul 2004
Offline Last Active Today, 02:43 AM
-----

Posts I've Made

In Topic: Retron 5 @ gamestop.com $99.99 ("release date" 2/29/2016)

05 February 2016 - 04:17 AM

I thought everybody used erasers to clean their cartridges.

http://youtu.be/qEd_8XGHCWY


Very off topic but God do I hate Rich from reviewtechusa.

In Topic: Limited Edition Uncharted 4 PS4 Bundle Out April 26th for $399.99 / Pre...

04 February 2016 - 11:12 PM

IDK, I feel like Sony's LE efforts are lazy, they just slap a picture on it change color and call it a day.

Agreed. Even the 20th anniversary PS4 (which I own New in Box  :D/ )   wasn't anything to write home about. This the first time I think the basic black/White consoles look best. Last Gen PS3s had lots of cool colors and edition. I guess if you haven't jumped on the XBONE band wagon you can get a kind of cool looking one of those...but it still looks like a VHS player.


In Topic: Retron 5 @ gamestop.com $99.99 ("release date" 2/29/2016)

04 February 2016 - 09:31 PM

Odd, it was always suggested to use rubbing alcohol

http://retrowaretv.c...ridge-cleaning/

 

Hell I remember even Nintendo said this back in the day.

Back in the day when I was a kid this was highly fought about debate online....but what wasn't? The general agreement was Cart Cleaner is best, High concentrated Alcohol was okay, and blowing on them should be a no go.  I'm sure you're fine using Alcohol at 80-90% concentration. IMO anything lower has too much water in it. I personally wouldn't use it on some of my rare carts, I'd just leave them as is for now.


In Topic: Retron 5 @ gamestop.com $99.99 ("release date" 2/29/2016)

04 February 2016 - 08:31 PM

It isn't at all hard to find q-tips and rubbing alcohol.

I'd avoid using Windex or Rubbing Alcohol. It's prone to messing up the silicon that holds the carts gold connectors. Something about it oxidizing it. In fact, I have carts that have been cleaned with Alcohol and the silicon is turning white. In fact try to avoid using Alcohol and Windex all together esp on rarer games. They have a tendency to rust the cart's connectors, because they contain water. If you can get your hands on really high content Alcohol feel free to give it a go (90%+ concentration), the remaining 10% is usually water. I've heard great things about using Brass cleaners, but I've yet to try that method.

 

 

BTW, I bought a NEW in box NES a few yrs ago when they were dirt cheap. It came with a New in Box version of Super Mario+Duck hunt and the color difference a used old cart and a new cart is crazy.


In Topic: Retron 5 @ gamestop.com $99.99 ("release date" 2/29/2016)

03 February 2016 - 07:21 PM

Been thinking of picking one of these up, worth it?

Yes it's worth it if you're will to accept some short comings.

 

For Starts, it's an HD only console you can't use it on CRT and get an authentic 8/16 bit experience. I personally don't care about that since I only own HD tvs, but some do. Also, the contacts for the carts can be iffy at times, especially with older dirty carts or carts slightly dirty. It's kind of a problem as it's hard to come by cart cleaners these days. I think it's because the Retron has cheap contacts their not gold plated. Luckily if you'd be buying a newer revision of the hardware, the older one had less storage and would bend contacts or be hard to remove a cart. 

 

With that in mind if you're willing to put up having to put a game in the system multiple times to start or adjusting it's angle then I'd highly recommend it.  Honestly, 8 and 16 bit gaming never looked better. Now if only someone hacked it's firmware to upload roms...the current method is a bit of a head ache.