People's experiences have been shared sooooo many times by now. We don't need to know everybody's got dang experience. This "deal" or similar has been around for years at Target and it's always the same story (2017, 2016, 2015, 2014). Why a dedicated thread needed to be made, when the details (and the seed planted) are in the Target Ad thread, idk... Eventually, the more vocal people get about the deal, the more it will be abused to hell and Target will adapt. Target used to have a similar "save / gift card with purchase of select game and a pre-order" deal, but I believe that one's been killed.
- know that going in, the deal is against policy,
- it can be successful, so try it for yourself if you want,
- know to walk away when it isn't,
- KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT, and
- remember the deal for next year (AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT THEN TOO)!
That's all you need to know.