Can you list the process for converting the barcode-less e gift card on to a physical one?
1: scan physical gift card
2: select add funds
3: type in gift card number (like you described above)
Yeah so here's what they would do at the physical store:
1. Scan a new (unused) physical gift card. It will ask "New gift card? 1- Yes 2- No"
2. They hit Yes and it asks for an amount. They enter the exact amount you have on your e-giftcard
3. They hit "Total".
4. For payment, they choose gift/store card. It will ask them to swipe card/enter account number.
5. They enter the numbers that follow the 3 zeroes under where the barcode should have printed out (this should be the last 16 digits)
This is where I forget... bear with me.
6. If entered correctly, it will then ask for the PIN(?) they then enter the pin.
OR (if that doesn't work)
6. It doesn't ask for PIN then I believe you have to add the PIN onto the end of account number.
7. From there the transaction should go right through since the e-giftcard had enough $ on it to cover the cost of the plastic one.
8. You now have a nice plastic gift card with the balance of your shitty e-giftcard on it!
Just as a note - there may be issues if you do this in-store. Most cashiers/CSMs won't allow you to exchange a gift card for another gift card. In this case I would argue there is an exception, because the Walmart trade-in system didn't work correctly (didn't print the f'ing barcode) and you shouldn't have to be inconvenienced by that fact.
I have made the e-gift cards from the trade-in promo into physical plastic ones before, so it is absolutely doable. The only thing that matters is how intelligent the cashier is, and how well you can communicate what happened & what you need them to do.
If you have to, ask to speak to someone who would know. Don't just ask "Can I speak to your manager?" because some of them aren't going to be any help either. Usually there's 1-2 good CSMs and maybe a good manager in my store at any given time. Sometimes there are none, which is why I take it upon myself to learn f'ing everything.